banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2000, 10:43 AM   #1
~The Gypsy~

"I simply write about where I am and where I am from." --GL, 'Songbook' book, p.8

Char asked: WHO would you want to be.

I'll ask: 'What PLACE or THING in Gord's life would you want to be?'

Yes, inanimate. He frequently takes places and things and personifies them in his songs, sometimes metaphorically, sometimes literally.

This could be an Endless Wire, if ya know what I mean!

------------------
"Is there someone sewing seams through all my hopes..."

"Look around this place,
There's a smile on every face..."
~The Gypsy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2000, 10:43 AM   #2
shipwrecked00

"I simply write about where I am and where I am from." --GL, 'Songbook' book, p.8

Char asked: WHO would you want to be.

I'll ask: 'What PLACE or THING in Gord's life would you want to be?'

Yes, inanimate. He frequently takes places and things and personifies them in his songs, sometimes metaphorically, sometimes literally.

This could be an Endless Wire, if ya know what I mean!

------------------
"Is there someone sewing seams through all my hopes..."

"Look around this place,
There's a smile on every face..."
shipwrecked00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2000, 11:55 AM   #3
Tom

Interesting thread, Shipwrecked.

I wouldn't mind being a summertime dream . . .

In a lunch pail town
in a one horse way
you can live like a King and Queen.
Let's steal away in the noonday sun
it's time for a summertime dream.

Birds in all creation will be twitterin' in the trees
and down below's a pond I know
you can swim in it if you please . . .

Yeah, that's what I'd like to be.

Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2000, 11:55 AM   #4
Mary Ann

Interesting thread, Shipwrecked.

I wouldn't mind being a summertime dream . . .

In a lunch pail town
in a one horse way
you can live like a King and Queen.
Let's steal away in the noonday sun
it's time for a summertime dream.

Birds in all creation will be twitterin' in the trees
and down below's a pond I know
you can swim in it if you please . . .

Yeah, that's what I'd like to be.

Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2000, 01:35 PM   #5
LouiseAnne

HIS GUITAR!!!!! Definitely!!!

I'd rather be the twelve-string because it's his favorite and he always keeps it close, but, alas, he only strums that one. (However, there IS a considerable amount of tuning involved with it, though)

Guess I'd have to be the Martin. All those sustained chords ..... and....
well, you get the picture.

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
If you go into the forest
Gaze up through the trees
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
LouiseAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2000, 01:35 PM   #6
loveandmaplesyrup

Send a message via ICQ to loveandmaplesyrup

HIS GUITAR!!!!! Definitely!!!

I'd rather be the twelve-string because it's his favorite and he always keeps it close, but, alas, he only strums that one. (However, there IS a considerable amount of tuning involved with it, though)

Guess I'd have to be the Martin. All those sustained chords ..... and....
well, you get the picture.

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
loveandmaplesyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2000, 02:41 PM   #7
charlene

I would be a pick. It's either in his hand or his pocket........................whatever............ ..........................LOL (right Leslie?)
Char

[This message has been edited by charlene (edited July 12, 2000).]
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2000, 02:41 PM   #8
charlene

I would be a pick. It's either in his hand or his pocket........................whatever............ ..........................LOL (right Leslie?)
Char

[This message has been edited by charlene (edited July 12, 2000).]
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2000, 09:10 PM   #9
Tom

I should have known Char and LAMS would lead us down THAT path.(lol)
Oh, did I forget to mention that in my trip on down to wonderland (sorry, Gord!) that I would be his mustache. A Guitar was a good choice, but at night Gord sets it aside after he's through strumming it. The pick has no sentimental value as he is forever dropping them or tossing them into a pocket. Ah, but that mustache kisses his lips constantly. He lovingly grooms and strokes it. He has such high reverence for it that despite a certain someone's request that it be shaven, she is over-ruled and so it is displayed proudly for all to see.
Whooooo! Go Mary Ann, Go Mary Ann
Old 07-12-2000, 09:10 PM   #10
Mary Ann

Oh, did I forget to mention that in my trip on down to wonderland (sorry, Gord!) that I would be his mustache. A Guitar was a good choice, but at night Gord sets it aside after he's through strumming it. The pick has no sentimental value as he is forever dropping them or tossing them into a pocket. Ah, but that mustache kisses his lips constantly. He lovingly grooms and strokes it. He has such high reverence for it that despite a certain someone's request that it be shaven, she is over-ruled and so it is displayed proudly for all to see.
Old 07-12-2000, 09:34 PM   #11
gathrb

I've always wanted to visit the tree in "Knotty Pine". I have sort of a "Grandmother Willow" tree I used to visit in West Virginia when my grand-parents were still living. It reminds me of Gord's serene, tranquil picture he paints...

"...She's my knotty pine/Sunlight in her hair/By the serpentine/Though she is independent, I don't mind/Standing over there/Just beyond that maple on the right/She's knotty but wise/She holds her anger in/Trees are her disguise/Cones are taking root before my eyes/Find them if you can/Among her boughs she keeps them out of sight..."
gathrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2000, 09:34 PM   #12
Tom

I've always wanted to visit the tree in "Knotty Pine". I have sort of a "Grandmother Willow" tree I used to visit in West Virginia when my grand-parents were still living. It reminds me of Gord's serene, tranquil picture he paints...

"...She's my knotty pine/Sunlight in her hair/By the serpentine/Though she is independent, I don't mind/Standing over there/Just beyond that maple on the right/She's knotty but wise/She holds her anger in/Trees are her disguise/Cones are taking root before my eyes/Find them if you can/Among her boughs she keeps them out of sight..."
Old 07-13-2000, 03:28 AM   #13
LouiseAnne

ROTFLMAO, CHAR!!!!!

The image THAT brings to mind!!! You DO have a point. I didn't think about his pick. But he has SO MANY. I'd always be jealous and miserable whenever he chose a different one than me! Now, the guitar, he has two main ones he uses. But there would be no feeling left out there. He has a different USE for each one. Tell you what .... Since you came up with the pick idea, YOU be the 12-string and I'LL be the Martin. We can share equally his attention and ..... whatever ....... lol! and we'll both be (as Mary Ann so colorfully phrased it) "proudly displayed for all to see." He can "fine-tune" you and he can use me for the ballads and love songs (and we KNOW the technique he uses on THAT guitar!

The moustache is an interesting idea, too, Mary Ann, but, alas, if you were his moustache, you wouldn't be the ONLY one kissing his lips.

We better watch it, ladies. We could get ourselves in serious trouble with our fearless leader .... eh, Florian? LOL!

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
LouiseAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2000, 03:28 AM   #14
loveandmaplesyrup

Send a message via ICQ to loveandmaplesyrup

ROTFLMAO, CHAR!!!!!

The image THAT brings to mind!!! You DO have a point. I didn't think about his pick. But he has SO MANY. I'd always be jealous and miserable whenever he chose a different one than me! Now, the guitar, he has two main ones he uses. But there would be no feeling left out there. He has a different USE for each one. Tell you what .... Since you came up with the pick idea, YOU be the 12-string and I'LL be the Martin. We can share equally his attention and ..... whatever ....... lol! and we'll both be (as Mary Ann so colorfully phrased it) "proudly displayed for all to see." He can "fine-tune" you and he can use me for the ballads and love songs (and we KNOW the technique he uses on THAT guitar!

The moustache is an interesting idea, too, Mary Ann, but, alas, if you were his moustache, you wouldn't be the ONLY one kissing his lips.

We better watch it, ladies. We could get ourselves in serious trouble with our fearless leader .... eh, Florian? LOL!

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
loveandmaplesyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2000, 11:02 AM   #15
fezo

quote:Originally posted by Mary Ann:

Yes, Mary Ann! This was my choice too and for virtually all the same reasons. Could it be you were 'reading my mind?'

fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2000, 11:02 AM   #16
Silver Heels

quote:Originally posted by Mary Ann:

Yes, Mary Ann! This was my choice too and for virtually all the same reasons. Could it be you were 'reading my mind?'

Silver Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2000, 01:26 PM   #17
~The Gypsy~

Ladies, ladies, I must step in. Can't do this, not on this thread anyway!

If I remember right, a 'stache has LIFE in it!! It's well, a body part. It grows, right? It's NOT inanimate. Don't think that's what I meant to start here. LOL

Now, guitars and picks i can relate to.

Char, would you want to be a thin, medium or heavy pick? Don't think Gord uses thumb or finger picks--he just grows his nails, or whatever. I think most lead guitarists use heavy or maybe medium picks, so I would guess Terry uses those the most. But here's something to weigh Char--when Terry plays that middle trill on Christian Island in concert, that pick is going like a hummungbird's wings along the strings. Think about THAT!... or whatever!!! By the way, that trill always amazes...the thrill of the trill!!

Now rhythem guys like Gord probably use thin to medium picks to be flexible enough to strike the right chord, you might say. Need to bend over several strings quickly! No stiffs here! Now, I'm a rhythem guy and my problem (guitar wise) is pick breakage. Now if you're an unbreakable, thin pick, get your butt patented and Gord (nor I) will EVER drop you again!! Plus you'll be rich enough to buy a certain piece of real estate in Rosedale!! Sounds good, eh!!

Now just one more hazard about being a pick. Besides breakage, mine often somehow falls through the hole in the acoustic guitar! Real problem! Either play the rest of the night with that pick vibrating on the rosewood or stop playing and start turning and shaking that guitar in all kinds of strange ways until that blessed pick decides to fall out. Yes, decides. It IS the pick's decision--never found a way to get it out at my will. Why do you think some "performers" start smashing their guitars on stage? Right, couldn't get the pick out!!

Now LAMS and guitars...another time, please! Need a SnoCone... or whatever!

~The Gypsy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2000, 01:26 PM   #18
shipwrecked00

Ladies, ladies, I must step in. Can't do this, not on this thread anyway!

If I remember right, a 'stache has LIFE in it!! It's well, a body part. It grows, right? It's NOT inanimate. Don't think that's what I meant to start here. LOL

Now, guitars and picks i can relate to.

Char, would you want to be a thin, medium or heavy pick? Don't think Gord uses thumb or finger picks--he just grows his nails, or whatever. I think most lead guitarists use heavy or maybe medium picks, so I would guess Terry uses those the most. But here's something to weigh Char--when Terry plays that middle trill on Christian Island in concert, that pick is going like a hummungbird's wings along the strings. Think about THAT!... or whatever!!! By the way, that trill always amazes...the thrill of the trill!!

Now rhythem guys like Gord probably use thin to medium picks to be flexible enough to strike the right chord, you might say. Need to bend over several strings quickly! No stiffs here! Now, I'm a rhythem guy and my problem (guitar wise) is pick breakage. Now if you're an unbreakable, thin pick, get your butt patented and Gord (nor I) will EVER drop you again!! Plus you'll be rich enough to buy a certain piece of real estate in Rosedale!! Sounds good, eh!!

Now just one more hazard about being a pick. Besides breakage, mine often somehow falls through the hole in the acoustic guitar! Real problem! Either play the rest of the night with that pick vibrating on the rosewood or stop playing and start turning and shaking that guitar in all kinds of strange ways until that blessed pick decides to fall out. Yes, decides. It IS the pick's decision--never found a way to get it out at my will. Why do you think some "performers" start smashing their guitars on stage? Right, couldn't get the pick out!!

Now LAMS and guitars...another time, please! Need a SnoCone... or whatever!

shipwrecked00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2000, 04:05 PM   #19
Kasey

Shipwrecked:

Now, THIS is important (Wes is keeping track and taking orders). WHAT FLAVOR????

-- Judy

------------------
"the mornin' after blues, from my head down to my shoes..."
-------------------------
"Laughing eyes and smiling face..."
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2000, 04:05 PM   #20
theotterjudy

Shipwrecked:

Now, THIS is important (Wes is keeping track and taking orders). WHAT FLAVOR????

-- Judy

------------------
"the mornin' after blues, from my head down to my shoes..."
-------------------------
"Laughing eyes and smiling face..."
theotterjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2000, 05:17 PM   #21
Faktor 1

Send a message via ICQ to Faktor 1

Hello All,
This is my first post, one of many, I hope.
Other than describing what my favorite GL song is (much to cumbersome to tackle at present), I thought this thread was quite interesting and an excellent topic for a first post.
Anyway, I think I'd love to be "Silver Heels," in Christian Island, as she bounces her way around Georgian Bay. The mystery and intrigue within the depths of the sea ("think of all that's in her") ... be it in the steely, sunny of reflection of the noonday sun crashing off the waves ... or standing up to the toughest gale in the cold, stormy night and to "keep smilin'" is just too irresistble.
That is for the inanimate ... the vessel to guide us through the home country and secret dreams of the creator of Christian Island and over 35 years of musical magic.
As for for a character in a song ... how about the captain of Silver Heels or the vessel in "A Passing Ship," though the latter is more about an inner journey?
Both have such wonderful, soothing and peaceful resting place imagery ... "I've got whiskers on my chin and I like the mood I'm in."
"A sun lit sea on the first day in April ... "I have been at sea all winter."

------------------
Now Take A Look Around Again ...
Is It Any Different Now Than It Was Then?
Faktor 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2000, 05:17 PM   #22
Summerside

Hello All,
This is my first post, one of many, I hope.
Other than describing what my favorite GL song is (much to cumbersome to tackle at present), I thought this thread was quite interesting and an excellent topic for a first post.
Anyway, I think I'd love to be "Silver Heels," in Christian Island, as she bounces her way around Georgian Bay. The mystery and intrigue within the depths of the sea ("think of all that's in her") ... be it in the steely, sunny of reflection of the noonday sun crashing off the waves ... or standing up to the toughest gale in the cold, stormy night and to "keep smilin'" is just too irresistble.
That is for the inanimate ... the vessel to guide us through the home country and secret dreams of the creator of Christian Island and over 35 years of musical magic.
As for for a character in a song ... how about the captain of Silver Heels or the vessel in "A Passing Ship," though the latter is more about an inner journey?
Both have such wonderful, soothing and peaceful resting place imagery ... "I've got whiskers on my chin and I like the mood I'm in."
"A sun lit sea on the first day in April ... "I have been at sea all winter."

------------------
Now Take A Look Around Again ...
Is It Any Different Now Than It Was Then?
Summerside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2000, 05:57 PM   #23
fezo

Shipwrecked, I never thought you'd be a party pooper! OK - aside from the 'stache, I'd like to be his favourite black tee-shirt.It gives him comfort and security and it rests easily upon his skin. It must also have some fabulous stories to tell - if only it could speak.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2000, 05:57 PM   #24
Silver Heels

Shipwrecked, I never thought you'd be a party pooper! OK - aside from the 'stache, I'd like to be his favourite black tee-shirt.It gives him comfort and security and it rests easily upon his skin. It must also have some fabulous stories to tell - if only it could speak.
Silver Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2000, 10:22 PM   #25
Mary Ann

Silver Heels,
If Shipwrecked wants to get technical on us, the inanimate object I spoke of was a summertime dream. The 'stache just happens to be the subject in that dream. So there! (lol) His black T-shirt . . . great! Can you tell us what kind of deoderant Gord wears since we can't find out what cologne/after shave he wears? Just kidding!!!