banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
Cat_Writer

Do they play with other artists?

Have they basically supported themselves all these years with their gig with Gordon? That would be a sweet situation.

My friend & I were discussing that on our long ride home, after last night's show. I commented that maybe they are paid an annual salary, regardless of how many gigs they play, because they are that important to GL.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Jim
Cat_Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
Jim W.

Do they play with other artists?

Have they basically supported themselves all these years with their gig with Gordon? That would be a sweet situation.

My friend & I were discussing that on our long ride home, after last night's show. I commented that maybe they are paid an annual salary, regardless of how many gigs they play, because they are that important to GL.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Jim
Jim W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
charlene

I don't know how they are paid for being part of the Lightfoot orchestra but they have been session musicians and involved in other aspects in other artists' music over the years.

I'd imagine they'd be paid an annual wage on the supposition that 50 gigs a year would occur and they'd be all expenses paid on top of that..the salary would include practices probably.

They've all (except Heffernan) raised families over the years, owned homes etc. and it's been such a long succesful time with them that they've been like another family in many respects. I'd say they are very important - I asked him that question a few weeks ago.

CHAR: You’ve had your band members, and I know Mike is the newest of the band members, but you’ve had them for years and years and so many people in your career are there for a long time like Barry Harvey, Anne in the office,

G.L.: Yep

CHAR: and Bernie Fiedler, and the band…..how important has that been for you not just musically, but personally to have that relationship and maintain those friendships and keep it like that for so long? You must be a good boss!

G.L.: Well people don’t step on other people’s toes in my organization ya know? Everybody gets along and I get along with everybody personally as very best as I can at all times. And as far as playing the music, we love playing the music, the keys are weird but we don’t care! It’s fun having an organization that functions this way because it eliminates a lot of the problems and a lot of the issues that can cloud the progress of an organization such as this. You see the challenge is to keep it underway very much in the way that Mr. Nelson, Willie Nelson, you want to keep it going, you want to keep the engine running as long as you want, you don’t have to stop, nobody has to stop. It’s got to do with health issues and all sorts of things that can arise as long as lady luck is with you just sort of carry on until something comes along and tells you it’s time to stop.

CHAR: I think you’re going to be the one to make that decision.

G.L.: I haven’t reached that point yet and I’m not even thinking about it because we just want to play the music because we love doing it and get to play fifty times a year and we’ve been together 30 some years some of us, and we still have the challenge, we still feel the challenge.
CHAR: We’re all very grateful that you’re still feeling that way and you do want to get up on stage and sing the music that’s so important to so many of us.

G.L.: We’re playing it so well right now, we’re loving it and I’m getting the vibes and getting the feedback from the audience and I’m starting to get so that I can feel the communication.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
charlene

I don't know how they are paid for being part of the Lightfoot orchestra but they have been session musicians and involved in other aspects in other artists' music over the years.

I'd imagine they'd be paid an annual wage on the supposition that 50 gigs a year would occur and they'd be all expenses paid on top of that..the salary would include practices probably.

They've all (except Heffernan) raised families over the years, owned homes etc. and it's been such a long succesful time with them that they've been like another family in many respects. I'd say they are very important - I asked him that question a few weeks ago.

CHAR: You’ve had your band members, and I know Mike is the newest of the band members, but you’ve had them for years and years and so many people in your career are there for a long time like Barry Harvey, Anne in the office,

G.L.: Yep

CHAR: and Bernie Fiedler, and the band…..how important has that been for you not just musically, but personally to have that relationship and maintain those friendships and keep it like that for so long? You must be a good boss!

G.L.: Well people don’t step on other people’s toes in my organization ya know? Everybody gets along and I get along with everybody personally as very best as I can at all times. And as far as playing the music, we love playing the music, the keys are weird but we don’t care! It’s fun having an organization that functions this way because it eliminates a lot of the problems and a lot of the issues that can cloud the progress of an organization such as this. You see the challenge is to keep it underway very much in the way that Mr. Nelson, Willie Nelson, you want to keep it going, you want to keep the engine running as long as you want, you don’t have to stop, nobody has to stop. It’s got to do with health issues and all sorts of things that can arise as long as lady luck is with you just sort of carry on until something comes along and tells you it’s time to stop.

CHAR: I think you’re going to be the one to make that decision.

G.L.: I haven’t reached that point yet and I’m not even thinking about it because we just want to play the music because we love doing it and get to play fifty times a year and we’ve been together 30 some years some of us, and we still have the challenge, we still feel the challenge.
CHAR: We’re all very grateful that you’re still feeling that way and you do want to get up on stage and sing the music that’s so important to so many of us.

G.L.: We’re playing it so well right now, we’re loving it and I’m getting the vibes and getting the feedback from the audience and I’m starting to get so that I can feel the communication.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:01 PM   #5
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:

I keep finding new nuggets in your interview....

Without venturing into pop psychology, I was taken by his remark that he's 'starting' to feel the communication. After all these years ? I dunno, it mystifies me.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
charlene

perhaps by 'feeling' it he means it in a more profound/deep way...It's not that he never 'felt' it before but now perhaps the feelings resonate a bit more and given that at this time of his life and career he's open to the real human side of those feelings he has..

just speculation on my part..back in the day when he was in his prime he may have felt he took for granted the appreciative fans who made his career th success it has been and now he's living a 'quiet life' and has more time for those contemplative sort of thoughts and emotions and occasionaly will act upon them...

I could be completely wrong but being a romantic it works for me!
lol
Old 04-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
charlene

perhaps by 'feeling' it he means it in a more profound/deep way...It's not that he never 'felt' it before but now perhaps the feelings resonate a bit more and given that at this time of his life and career he's open to the real human side of those feelings he has..

just speculation on my part..back in the day when he was in his prime he may have felt he took for granted the appreciative fans who made his career th success it has been and now he's living a 'quiet life' and has more time for those contemplative sort of thoughts and emotions and occasionaly will act upon them...

I could be completely wrong but being a romantic it works for me!
lol
Old 04-19-2007, 02:25 PM   #8
RM

CHarlene,

Bingo ! I think you got it. You're obviously a much deeper thinker than I, and your appraisal makes perfect sense.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
Gitchigumee

In addition to what Char has stated and which I agree with, I have felt for some time now, just judging by things I've seen and heard over the past six months or so, that Gord is feeling stronger and better in recent months than perhaps he has in recent years (since the abdominal anneurism). I stated once not long ago that in his most recent performances which are on You Tube, his voice sounds stronger to me and his performances, for lack of a better word, "better."

I believe this fits with his quote:

G.L.: "We’re playing it so well right now, we’re loving it and I’m getting the vibes and getting the feedback from the audience and I’m starting to get so that I can feel the communication."

Perhaps what he meant to say was that he was starting (once again) to get so that he can feel the communication???
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #10
charlene

I have to admit that since the astounding event (for me at least!) at Niagara Falls and the subsequent chats with him, the whole thing has played over and over in my mind as to the 'why' of it, the why at this time? of it...

it almost haunts me as to what the man thinks about and about what he thinks..

and maybe I just think too much..
lol

Old 04-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #11
charlene

I have to admit that since the astounding event (for me at least!) at Niagara Falls and the subsequent chats with him, the whole thing has played over and over in my mind as to the 'why' of it, the why at this time? of it...

it almost haunts me as to what the man thinks about and about what he thinks..

and maybe I just think too much..
lol

Old 04-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #12
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gitchigumee:

Perhaps what he meant to say was that he was starting (once again) to get so that he can feel the communication???
That's also plausible. Perhaps it is a part of the recovery.

You guys are good.

"keep your mind a mystery"
Old 04-19-2007, 05:57 PM   #13
talbot10

[quote]Originally posted by RMD:
Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:
[qb]
I keep finding new nuggets in your interview....

I second Ron's comment Charzo! You did a great a
great job in interviewing Gord.
Bill
Old 04-19-2007, 07:58 PM   #14
JackieColtac

I remeber reading somewhere that Gord's band members were among the highest paid musicians in Canada and that during one year long stretch where he did not tour ( this goes back well before his serious illness) he paid then full salary anyway. Wish I could remember where and when I saw that
Old 04-19-2007, 07:58 PM   #15
banjobench12

I remeber reading somewhere that Gord's band members were among the highest paid musicians in Canada and that during one year long stretch where he did not tour ( this goes back well before his serious illness) he paid then full salary anyway. Wish I could remember where and when I saw that
banjobench12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:47 PM   #16
JackieColtac

Found the article in my box of gord stuff. At my age its good to know you aren't imagining things. Mcleans magazine: March 16, 1987

The article talks about Lightfoot doing Anything for Love in concert with a tape back up band and holding the microphone Sinatra style and then says:

"Lightfoot's loyal band can stand the indignity; he has made them one of the best paid group of sidemen in Canada, most earning regular salaries in excess of $50,ooo a year whether they play or not. In fact, before the current tour they were paid for an 18 month layoff. On the road they travel by Learjet and Lightfoot pays all the restaurant and bar bills."

[ April 19, 2007, 21:16: Message edited by: banjobench12 ]
Old 04-19-2007, 08:47 PM   #17
banjobench12

Found the article in my box of gord stuff. At my age its good to know you aren't imagining things. Mcleans magazine: March 16, 1987

The article talks about Lightfoot doing Anything for Love in concert with a tape back up band and holding the microphone Sinatra style and then says:

"Lightfoot's loyal band can stand the indignity; he has made them one of the best paid group of sidemen in Canada, most earning regular salaries in excess of $50,ooo a year whether they play or not. In fact, before the current tour they were paid for an 18 month layoff. On the road they travel by Learjet and Lightfoot pays all the restaurant and bar bills."

[ April 19, 2007, 21:16: Message edited by: banjobench12 ]
banjobench12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:27 PM   #18
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by banjobench12:
Found the article in my box of gord stuff. At my age its good to know you aren't imagining things.
I'm glad you confirmed that you're still tethered to reality.

$50,000 was a VERY pretty penny in 1987.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #19
charlene

VERY pretty - even in Canadian funds!
lol
That's where I must have read it too-I should pull out my copy and re-read the whole article...
Old 04-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #20
charlene

VERY pretty - even in Canadian funds!
lol
That's where I must have read it too-I should pull out my copy and re-read the whole article...
Old 04-20-2007, 04:44 AM   #21
Gord H

I don't know about the rest of the guys but Barry Keane has played for Anne Murray and Susan Agluklark (sp) and Ian Thomas among others.. in fact it was Barry on drums on Painted Ladies, Ian's hit from the early 70's... and Barry also played drums on Whispering Rain by Murray McLaughlin.

Gord H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:12 AM   #22
Auburn Annie

$50,000 US in 1987 is the equivalent of about $90,000 today. Not shabby at all.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:12 AM   #23
Auburn Annie

$50,000 US in 1987 is the equivalent of about $90,000 today. Not shabby at all.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:15 AM   #24
Station Master

Send a message via ICQ to Station Master

...and the price of beer has more than doubled, lol

they have a good chunk of time for other session or live work or hobbies or family time, i think Barry spoke of this on the fan590 interview also (still waiting for char to transcribe it, lol...kiddin')

...good find, bb12
Old 04-20-2007, 07:15 AM   #25
jj

...and the price of beer has more than doubled, lol

they have a good chunk of time for other session or live work or hobbies or family time, i think Barry spoke of this on the fan590 interview also (still waiting for char to transcribe it, lol...kiddin')

...good find, bb12
jj is offline   Reply With Quote