banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
charlene

Default Neil Young on Fallon-new album with Gord tunes

could be some chatter about Lightfoot and 2 tunes: http://www.antimusic.com/news/14/May...l#.U3DdH_ldV8E
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Neil Young on Fallon-new album with Gord tunes

Neil talks about Lightfoot and Jack White says IYCRMM is his fave song on the LP in the interview clip:
Neil Young and Jack White were guests on tonight's episode of "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon", where they did something fairly novel: recorded a song and pressed it directly to vinyl live on the show.
Young covered "Crazy", the Willie Nelson classic (made famous by Patsy Cline), which was pressed instantly onto 6" vinyl. It was recorded in the same 1940s-style recording booth from Third Man in Nashville that was used to record Young's new LP A Letter Home. Find what the platter looks like below the video (via Fallon's Twitter).
Young talked about showing up at Third Man when they unveiled the booth. After a kid covered a Neil Young song, Neil said, "Let me try it." Then, he said, "I could do a whole album in there." As Rolling Stone reports, Jack White chimed in to provide a brief history of the Voice-O-Graph: the renovated vinyl 1947 recording booth where the duo laid down the tracks for A Letter Home.
He also talked about the songs he picked for A Letter Home; White revealed that Young's version of Gordon Lightfoot's "If You Could Read My Mind" is his favorite track on the album.
They also joked about Fallon's Neil Young impression. "I thought I was really good in that," he said about the "Whip My Hair" cover.
Watch him record "Crazy" (via CoS) and a web exclusive of Ivory Joe Hunter's "Since I Met You Baby":

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/0...-jimmy-fallon/
Old 05-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
3pennies

Please read some of the reviews of "A Letter Home" on Amazon before spending your money for the 2 Gord tunes.

Apparently this album sounds like it was recorded in a 1947 instant record booth thing.

Hiss, scratches etc
3pennies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
charlene

did you watch the videos? listen to the interview?
that's exactly where it was recorded..
Old 05-14-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
joveski

i just saw the episode an hour ago on TV!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
3pennies

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
did you watch the videos? listen to the interview?
that's exactly where it was recorded..
Yes I know the whole story behind it.

But there are going to be people who are not familiar with the whole 1947 voice booth thing. They see a new release from Neil Young of cover songs, plunk down $18, and end up with a lo-fi novelty thing.
3pennies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
charlene

I would imagine if they are fans of his they'd have read/heard about the way it was recorded as it's such a novelty thing..even non-fans couldn't escape the media about it. It's not being marketed as a studio recording. The novelty of it will probably sell more than you'd imagine. lol.. I'm not sure I'll get one..but probably..I kind of like the sound and old-timey feel...

Old 05-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #8
Patti

2 or 3 nights before that show aired, I had a dream that I was with one of my old best friends, Becky.( Becky was killed in a car crash in 1997). It was a sweet dream. Nice being with her and having fun again. We were talking on the phone with Neil Young, and making song requests. I don't remember which songs they were, but we had some disks (45's)? that we were looking thru, and they were in a see-thru vinyl, accordian case...similar to a credit card holder, but sized for disks. He seemed to be at a radio station or something, and we were happy that he talked to us.

I didn't know Neil Young was going to be on. I just happened to turn the channel and there they were talking about Gordon Lightfoot. Got to see him singing in the booth.

Thanks for the link. Got to watch more of the show afterwards.

Last edited by Patti; 05-16-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
Patti

this style

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301142853978?lpid=82
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote