banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2008, 07:47 AM   #1
burntstump

Default New studio cd is there any chance?

It feels like an eternity since the last cd, what are the chances of a new one?
burntstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
DawnsMinstrel

Default Re: New studio cd is there any chance?

According to GL himself the chances are zero if I understand correctly. He no longer writes because of the isolation from his family that this requires. This topic has come up a few times.
DawnsMinstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

As the early morning singer opined the evidence that we will ever get another pukka studio album is excedingly slim,and the best we can hope for is some sort of belated follow up to the sublimal live "Sunday Concert".
Earlier this year I presented a copy of "fezo"'s fine CD to Gord together with a carefully composed letter making the point that even though he usually eschews recording anything not written by himself he might consider some of the efforts of his fans plus a few of his own favoUrites by other writers such as Elton John's "Your Song" and a selection from the considerable number of his own songs that have never made it to an "official" recording.I fear though that my letter quickly found its way into a trash can,but at least I tried

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:38 AM   #4
burntstump

Well if that's the case I would be very happy for a new studio cd of covers, if he can't find the time to write songs himself there are plenty of other songwriters who he admires.

Come on Gordon give us something to look forward to.
burntstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:12 AM   #5
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

If I was a betting man, and if slim & none were racing, I'd say they each had a 50/50 chance. Hope for the oft-mentioned "live" CD is still on life support so we'll wait and see, eh ?

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
charlene

I don't see him doing a CD of covers..not at this stage of his life when he's out touring with his classics on the set list..
I think the best that we can hope for is a CD of various LIVE performances..soon I hope..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:11 PM   #7
podunklander

Nice thoughts on this, if even wishful thinking. I'm still enjoying the masterful 'Harmony' as though I'm just hearing it for the 1st time!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
Borderstone

It should sort of feel like an eternity since "Harmony" because in just under 5 months it will already be 5 years!!

That really doesn't seem possible does it?
The record store I bought it at (Tower) is long gone!

I say,when Gord feels really up to doing a new CD,he will. I never say never.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
fezo

Have to love Sir John's consistent lobbying on my part.....

The way I understood it the solitary thing he doesn't like was more making the album itself rather than the writing. I thought he was still dabbling in writing, If there's nothing he's releasing I don't suppose it makes a difference.

Being greedy I'd love new stuff but I have to admit I'd love new stuff but the man certainly has earned the life he lives now - playing out as much as he wants and having more time for family and friends. Can't fault him for that. I love that he takes the time to visit people who hang out long enough and chats.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
podunklander

I'm sure this interview from American Songwriter (Jan '08) has been posted before...but it directly touches upon the topic at hand:

http://www.americansongwriter.com/20...se-to-sundown/

It's easy [fairly, empathetic] to understand/see how Gordon Lightfoot is "spread way too thin right now" -clearly stating why this is so in the interview. The interview was a little over a year ago...just before he turned 69 and unless things have changed to afford him the time needed to dedicate to a major undertaking (such as recording), I would think that everything he stated back then, holds true today.

egadz still working at 70! And not in the least "semi-retired"! It would seem like the only possible way for him to have any time to write/record would be if he stopped touring!
Old 12-21-2008, 12:54 AM   #11
Auburn Annie

Maybe Meredith can persuade him (or show him how) to upload a song or two from his vasty reservoir of live recordings - just a tease, please.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:18 PM   #12
musky_man

I suspect you are all correct -- chances are slim to zero .... but I have heard that he does have a bunch of never-recorded material that is supposedly quite good. One can only hope, but at his stage of the game, as others have opined, I think it is very remote.

Cheers and best to all in 2009.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:15 AM   #13
podmed

I agree that we will see another nice live cd - just like they did with Neil Young @ Massey.
podmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #14
HockeyDad

I have to agree that, although it would be nice to have a brand new Gordon Lightfoot album come out, I think the man is doing the right thing spending more time with his kids. I always admire the devotion of a family man and that's what he wants to be right now and we should let him be. He wrote a lifetime of great music that we all enjoy and now he should have this time the way he wants it, as a family man.
HockeyDad is offline   Reply With Quote