banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Lightfoot Covers

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #26
jj

Default Re: cover of SUNDOWN by Toby Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
LOL!!

I don't think GL has golfed in decades..ever since the time he had on jeans and they made him change his pants before starting to play.
lol, the courses i can afford to play don't care if you're in jean (and sandals)

i did some googling and found out about the angry, boot in the butt, american way thing was all about so now i'm with it...i think Jackson's subtler composition left more of an impact

YouTube - Alan Jackson - Where Were You (Live Video)

so it's Oct 5, where can i hear the new cover in its finished and full form?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #27
MistyMoppens

Although I'm normally a "Dove" with a capital "D" I have to admit liking Toby's "boot in the a$$" song. (love Alan Jackson's poignant tune as well)

I love the passion, the outrage and the fury in Toby's song at the wholesale, bloody slaughter of thousands of innocent, unsuspecting civilians from all walks of life - not just Americans. Toby's protest song is justified, IMO.

All of Europe is on alert right now for possible terrorist attacks. Hopefully, Toronto will never have to endure what NYC did.

Just my two cents.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #28
charlene

280 Candians (of 320 passengers) died in a terrorist attack on an airplane in 1985.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_India_Flight_182

in 2006 18 wannabe terrorists were arrested in toronto -
http://www3.thestar.com/static/toronto18/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_To...terrorism_plot
Old 10-05-2010, 09:55 PM   #29
RM

Didn't a suspected terrorist also appear on "Canadian Idol " ?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #30
MistyMoppens

Quote:
280 Candians (of 320 passengers) died in a terrorist attack on an airplane in 1985.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_India_Flight_182

in 2006 18 wannabe terrorists were arrested in toronto -
http://www3.thestar.com/static/toronto18/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_To...terrorism_plot
To date - 2,966 innocent people murdered in the 9/11 attacks.
19 terrorists are frying in Hell.

Last edited by MistyMoppens; 10-05-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #31
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMoppens View Post
Sept. 11, 2001 - 2,752 dead from 70 countries.
MM - I'm not doing a body count as a competition of where more people were murdered.. - I'm just stating we've had terrorism related to our country and citizens as well.. 25 years ago.

RM - yep - Canadian Idol - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38872229...news-americas/
Old 10-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #32
banjobench12

Well keeping with the golf theme....I was in Washington DC last weekend and was constantly thinking of Gord's only golf song.

On the Metro they have a recorded announcement that keeps saying STEP BACK

Couldn't get Baby Step Back out of my head and Idon't really like the song!
Old 10-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #33
banjobench12

Well keeping with the golf theme....I was in Washington DC last weekend and was constantly thinking of Gord's only golf song.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #34
MistyMoppens

I realize that, Char. I'm just trying to explain why Ameriacans are still emotionally raw from that day. Toby Keith's song hits a great big nerve here.

I vividly recall that hideous attack on that plane in 1985. It's impossible to forget something like that.

I remember crossing over back into the States at Niagara Falls the night it went down with the Lackawanna Six. (aka: Buffalo Six) All heck was breaking loose!! Dogs all over each car... It was really intense...
Old 10-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #35
MistyMoppens

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobench12 View Post

LOL! In London it would have been "Mind The Gap"
Old 10-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #36
banjobench12

And Mary Chapin Carpenter has a great song about....MIND THE GAP
Old 10-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #37
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobench12 View Post

LOL!!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #38
charlene

review: (now it's a classic American rock song) good grief.
http://countrymusiclife.com/toby-kei...ets-gun-album/

14) Sundown
You’ll recognize this Gordon Lightfoot classic. Toby puts some great passion behind this live version on the Deluxe version of his latest album. He gets the fans in the audience to sing along and it makes for a great moment on the record. I love when country artists take on classic American rock songs like this. Toby does a great job. He captures the same vibe Gordon does on the original and adds a little bit of Toby attitude.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #39
charlene

http://indexdownload.com/musics-and-...0-377107.html/

http://www.fileserve.com/file/dCyFYU...lGun.part2.rar -- I used this one..
listening now..LIVE concert version.. gettin lost in a woman instead of gettin lost in her lovin...
guitar solo is good..so far the song has more grit than the rehearsal video...heavy bass line..
ending kinda dies out..
still hasn't got the 'oomph' of Lightfoots version.
still don't like TK.
A whole new audience for a great American classic by Toby Keith.
Pretty sure most of his 'audience' will think he wrote it...and have never heard of Gordon Lightfoot the Canadian who wrote it and made it a hit back in the day.
lolol

Toby Keith – Bullets in the gun (2010) | Full And Free Download ...
By admin
The Deluxe Edition underlines the breadth of Keith's influence by offering live cover versions of Gordon Lightfoot's “Sundown,” Johnny Paycheck's “11 Months and 29 Days,” and “I've Been A Long Time Leaving (But I'll Be A Long Time ...
Full And Free Download rapidshare... - http://indexdownload.com/
Old 10-06-2010, 11:00 PM   #40
MistyMoppens

Quote:
review: (now it's a classic American rock song) good grief.
http://countrymusiclife.com/toby-kei...ets-gun-album/

14) Sundown
You’ll recognize this Gordon Lightfoot classic. Toby puts some great passion behind this live version on the Deluxe version of his latest album. He gets the fans in the audience to sing along and it makes for a great moment on the record. I love when country artists take on classic American rock songs like this. Toby does a great job. He captures the same vibe Gordon does on the original and adds a little bit of Toby attitude.
I do like Toby's version but this person is out to lunch. Toby's version is super laid back - not "passionate." And he certainly doesn't capture "the same vibe." (Gordon's version is much more edgy, dark, raw and menacing.) It's also missing Toby's typical cocky attitude. He put his own stamp on it but that was about it. While I like it I don't love it.

So I agree with Char - GOOD GRIEF!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #41
Jim Nasium

With regards to Alan Jackson's haunting tribute to 9/11, here is Tom Paxton's take. Equally as touching. I am sure most of you have heard this before.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #42
jj

thanks, i hadn't heard that one, jim...yes, we all have been shattered by that day but many days since also which has fortunately had a few diffused attempts (eg. the toronto 18)...i say get the boot (and thumbs) out of the butt, the way of the world will have to be through education of future generations...in hundreds of year the history books (or aliens) will sort out which of earth's inhabitants were the instigators vs retaliators...i gotta say i like how toby seems to support whoever is elected through the democratic process, we need more and less energy going into hindering progress...my feelings for the cover have nothing to do with a pre-existing TK dislike...i can't hear the rar fiel on the mac...thanks for the reviews...i haven't gone back to the GL sundown solo recording yet but it sounds like the guitarist may have

here is an example of the mindset that is disturbing, if not anger provoking to those of us in the west
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/ar...r-with-muslims
...on top of this, we also have home bred (and combat trained) youth disgruntled and always planning on taking action...with all this said, i don't feel it's too late for praying

now, speaking of anger provoking, let's get back to that golf talk...

Last edited by jj; 10-07-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #43
charlene

I couldn't take anything the reviewer said as gospel or professional once he classified it as a great classic American rock song ...
Old 10-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #44
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
What's wrong with that? It may have charted pop and adult contemp. but we all considered it as a rock song at the time. It rocks, always has!
lol, i don't think it's the 'rock' genre reference that's at issue, lol

anyhow, if he had even phrased it as a 'classic Americas rock song', sure it would have been collectively included north and south of the border but would have been ignorant to all the UK, Aussie fans who enjoyed it's far reaching airwaves...hey, when i googled to try find the full version i got lots of hits for toby keith lyrics including sundown...getting used to brushing that stuff off...i think canucks need to take the attitude, claim anyone born elsewhere that sets foot here that's got any appeal (like Halladay, lol) and share those who are talented who were born here, like GL...and most importantly export everyone who is of no use, lol

is there a TK video of this 'Deluxe' track playing on CMT or wherever? i'm getting the feeling that only those diehard TK fans who have gobbled up the cd earlier this week are the only ones who are going to get some GL exposure and that it will not be a single reaching country audiences of the south...i probably read into that myself after getting caught up in the initial hype...i wonder how GL feels about being on an album called Bullets in the Gun...based on reviews that is supposed to be a decent title track...i'll keep my ears open and try keep my mind also open
Old 10-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #45
charlene

I never once thought of any Lightfoot song as a rock song. A toe tapper but not rock. A classic but not rock...

But mostly I never once thought of it as an "American" anything ..
Old 10-08-2010, 02:15 AM   #46
redhead

Quote:
I never once thought of any Lightfoot song as a rock song. A toe tapper but not rock. A classic but not rock...

But mostly I never once thought of it as an "American" anything ..
Interesting. Growing up, I never thought of Gordon Lightfoot as a "Canadian" performer -- just my favorite performer who happened to be from Canada. Was I supposed to?

IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND, TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP, SUNDOWN, CAREFREE HIGHWAY, RAINY DAY PEOPLE, THE WRECK OF THE EDMUND FITZGERALD and THE CIRCLE IS SMALL all charted here in the States and none of those songs made reference to Canadian Nationalism (in fact, many of his songs reference specific locations in the U.S., in addition to Canada). Also, many of his songs have been covered by American artists with most folks being unaware of who has written the music that they are listening to.

GL has been performing in America by choice for over 40 years. He has a huge fan base here that has and continues to support his talent by buying his records/cds and attending his concerts. As such and by his own volition, his work has made an imprint on the culture here as well (i.e., IYCRMM was used in the movie "Wonderland" to capture and portray a specific period of time here in the 1970's). So when someone errs in referring to one of his songs as an "American Classic", try to remember how long Americans have been listening to him, and that it actually was here in the U.S. market that he was able to "break open", which resulted in him being catapulted into international stardom.

I understand the pride Canadians feel for him. He has remained true to his Canadian roots and his country throughout his career. The fact does remain, however, that a large bulk of his career was achieved here in the U.S. When I read the comment that "I never thought of it as an "American" anything", it gave me pause to think, is that in reference to the man himself (who obviously isn't), or to some of his work (which arguably in some people's minds) could be.

I believe his music crosses international borders, and that he himself has set it up that way.

redhead

Last edited by redhead; 10-08-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #47
TC

Well said Redhead. This whole nationalism/Lightfoot thing is getting a bit to deep.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #48
charlene

I'm befuddled why it's ok to say a song is "classic American" but that's not nationalism. Yet when another opinion that it is not "American" is stated it is then considered nationalism and too deep.

Nope - you weren't supposed to think of him any way you didn't want to. Or in a way which didn't occur to you. But he is Canadian with all that inherently brings to the song writing table, regardless of what you did or didn't think.
I'm well aware of where Gord's performed over the years and the impact it had on his career and where his tours take him these days.
Sundown was also a hit here in Canada, as were many of his other tunes .
Being from Canada makes him a "Canadian" performer/artist. A huge number of his tunes and for that matter his recognition factor is his writings about Canada - people, places, nature, geography, history. It's one facet of his writing that is mentioned quite a lot by his worldwide audiences and music critics, many describing him as a Canadian songwriter - not just meaning his nationality. He also refers to places in the U.S. and around the world, writing from a Canadian mindset.
He is unabashedly Canadian. His Canadianism is reflected in his music just as Toby Keith's Americanism is in his songs. He writes what he knows and lives in his own country where he grew up and that coloured his views. In Lightfoot tunes that tell of American events they are written/interpreted with a Canadian perspective and tone.
Are British rock groups songs also referred to as classic American rock? Australian? Canadian rock groups like The Guess Who, Bryan Adams, Bachman Turner Overdrive -
Are their hit songs American rock? (this rationale applies to other music genres as well)
There is a nationalism about music..regardless of what kind of music it is. There's British rock, folk, pop, blues, country as surely as there is American folk, rock, pop, blues, country and as well there is Canadian folk, rock, pop, blues, country etc.....because a person doesn't acknowledge it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
What makes a song "American" rock? Is it because it was a hit in the U.S. regardless of the artists' origin? That's enough to claim it as such?
I would think American rock would be Springsteen, Tom Petty, etc. for example. I refer to their songs as rock. American rock. Different than British rock. Different than Canadian rock. I am aware however that they are American artists and altho they have had hit songs here I don't refer to them as classic 'Canadian' rock songs as I would for Canadian rock artists such as Bryan Adams, The Hip, Rush, etc.
Are Beatles songs 'classic American rock songs' because they had huge success in America? No - they are British rockers -they are classic British rock songs. They have an identity of their own.
Many would argue that where an artist comes from defines their 'sound' in their songs. (musically and lyrically) And if that performer remains in their home country this may be even moreso.
The cultural happenings in countries and even in specific areas of each country played a huge part in the sound/songs written. This was especially true from the 30's onward I think. These site specific events (war/the Depression/political events, etc.) play into the 'sound/feel' of each individual artist.
Because a songs’ lyrics don't reference an artist's home country does not negate the 'sound/feel' their music has that identifies them as Canadian/American/British etc.
Prior to being catapulted into international stardom when an American radio station played one of his tunes please remember that Lightfoot was already a star at home in Canada for several years. He wasn't an obscure artist begging for recognition or for his career to 'break open.' The evolution of his career saw his music become known worldwide, his tours took him global and he sold a lot of records. Records full of the songs of a Canadian musician, writing from/with a Canadian sensibility and perspective about the things that mattered to him in his life. His Canadian life that shaped his thoughts, opinions and words and that still do to this day. Just like Springsteen, Tom Petty, Alan Jackson, Billy Joel, John Mellencamp et al write with their own life experiences and influences that come with living in the U.S.
They may write about events in other countries but it with their own personal uniqueness..and much of that relates to their nationality and a life lived in their home country where politics, education, and society shaped their thoughts and how they express themselves.
re: "American anything" - the discussion is about the song, not the man. We know he is Canadian. I don't agree the song is "American" of any kind of musical genre, be it pop, folk, easy listening, contemporary.. Like art and literature, music has a nationality.
And as discussed before, Lightfoot music, tho classified most of the time as 'folk' music almost always defies that description. Lightfoot music is a genre unto itself. Perhaps ‘folk rock’ best describes many of his tunes when speaking of their ‘musical’ genre.
His music has, still does and always will cross international borders, that's not in question.
I am questioning the labeling of a particular song as "American." My question is not meant as an insult.
It seems that saying his music is Canadian is nationalism even though saying it is "American" as the critic did, is not, and it must not be commented upon. Wow.
I think SUNDOWN is not "American, Rock, or American Rock"..
I think it IS a classic though.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #49
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
So when someone errs in referring to one of his songs as an "American Classic", try to remember how long Americans have been listening to him, and that it actually was here in the U.S. market that he was able to "break open", which resulted in him being catapulted into international stardom
just a thinking out loud reply here: so if an article referred to, let's say, Born to Run as a Canadian classic it wouldn't make you scratch your head, even though many, many, Canucks have been loving and supporting the Boss with album, singles, merchandise and concert purchases for decades, as well as radio station play requests? i don't think any of that support makes Springsteen music the least bit Canadian...i don't think we have to get too deep or even turn the table much in order to understand how ignorant and , well, dumb the phrase used was...is Let it Be also an American classic?

i didn't stop to think that any airplay or sales in say, Commonwealth nations was the result of USA acceptance...myself, i never felt Gord ever broke 'it' open in the USA but am glad he's had enough success south of the border to have what i consider a cult type following...i am sure Gord LOVES touring and playing for for American fans and I'm sorry he hasn't been able to get overseas and satisfy his, imo, modest, international following

i think you said it best in that latter comment and a better phrase in the article might have been calling it 'an international classic'...as for the rock genre, i think someone said it best when they said Gordon has created his own genre...on the other hand, remember Gord coming out in that 'Rock' t-shirt on the MMM special, lol i still don't know what rock and roll is...maybe Gord fit's more into the Roll classification

redhead, that's a well articulated post you made, imo...i agree, certainly that some of the imagery and/or character inspirations in his songs could well be from time spent south or the border or even abroad...as far as the Sundown track, the whole vibe just makes me think of the Muskokas for some reason, perhaps I was up there when i first heard it...i love talking to other music fans (GL or otherwise) about what connotations certain albums or tracks have with listeners...i wish there were some associations that i could shake actually, but they stick like glue! and the more penetrating the song, the harder the bond is to break..and I find GL's stuff very penetrating

you might dig a Geographical themed link at the Lightfoot.ca site where all the places mentioned in each song are categorized...tons of US references

anyhow, by American anything, i would say that just means they could have called it soft rock or jazz or blues, etc genre and it wouldn't have mattered since the journalist decided to try associate it with a nation, ad in error to boot...some might have to be the 'little guy' Canuck to understand how deep a phrase like that cuts...we see it all the time, and i suppose many like TC continue to blow it off

i hope you are catching him on this tour and give us a review, and the more in depth the better, you articulate well and are obviously a longtime appreciator of the man and the music...with that said, wouldnt' it be terrific to get some fresh opinions from some of the new following he may have netted as a result of Toby's cover or any other covers well aired outside of Canada...i don't even mind if they are oozing with some respectful criticisms, i think it's all good...
Old 10-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #50
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
his music is as American as apple pie
well, maybe his tunes are the cheddar that goes on top of it, lol (mmm, now i'm hungry)

wow, how could char and i post the exact same minute!..or even find ourselves both inside on a glorious autumn day with Thanksgiving upon us...i am praying "dear Lord, thank you for the harvest, and for Gord" lol

here is a question for American's or non-Canadians: does Gord have any sort of accent that comes through in his singing, or even in interviews? other than "eh" and all those stereotypes i'm still not sure what a Canuck accent is, i don't say "abooot"

another question (rather than a fresh topic): what GL songs do you feel are most American in some way, i suppose geographically is most obvious...and i guess Black Day in July is obvious...i believe Bitter Green was written in a cab in London but I don't know if that trivia gives it any UK flavour
Closed Thread