banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2005, 02:27 AM   #1226
The Rez

No jiving around intended, but "Gordon u Rock" reminds me of a comment Gord used to make often in the 80's while introducing Sundown:

This is as close as I get to pushing my Rock and Roll Button."

'Couse he was wearing red suspendes and polka dot underwear, so who knows what buttons are yet pushed? (Heavy, huh?_

The Rez
[Psalm 139:13]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 04:50 AM   #1227
<jean_val_jean@hotmail.com>

One song that seemed slightly neglected (as a favorite) and happens to be my personal favorite is Carefree Highway.
I might have a vague idea of what he was getting at with this song. Sometimes you're move somewhere alone with a certain plan in mind, you fall in love, and the original pla falls through. The only thing keeping you there is that special person. And then they leave, so you stick around for a couple years. And after those couple years you get to thinking about that person, and wondering what's become of them, and if they've moved on, and you realize that real comfort is out on the road, away from wherever you are.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:50 AM   #1228
<jean_val_jean@hotmail.com>

One song that seemed slightly neglected (as a favorite) and happens to be my personal favorite is Carefree Highway.
I might have a vague idea of what he was getting at with this song. Sometimes you're move somewhere alone with a certain plan in mind, you fall in love, and the original pla falls through. The only thing keeping you there is that special person. And then they leave, so you stick around for a couple years. And after those couple years you get to thinking about that person, and wondering what's become of them, and if they've moved on, and you realize that real comfort is out on the road, away from wherever you are.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:01 PM   #1229
<Dave from trenton>

Sundown, Carefree Highway and Wreck of the Edmund
Fitzgerald are my three faves. Tough call but
I like 'em all equally.

Dave From Trenton, ON
Old 09-08-2005, 05:01 PM   #1230
<Dave from trenton>

Sundown, Carefree Highway and Wreck of the Edmund
Fitzgerald are my three faves. Tough call but
I like 'em all equally.

Dave From Trenton, ON
Old 09-10-2005, 05:31 PM   #1231
CatalinaMarin

Quote:
Originally posted by Florian:
What is your favorite Lightfoot Song & Why?

(topic originated by Wes Steele)

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited February 26, 2000).]
[img]http://[/img] "IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND" For me this song like a magic! I like the lyrics. A sudden change of heart?!!! Honestly, it took me awhile to find the lyric of this song I like to sing with it. Like it a lot
CatalinaMarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 05:38 PM   #1232
CatalinaMarin

"If You Could Read Your Mind" Like it a lot it's magic sometimes you dont expect things that will change;but most of it; it change for the better. A sudden change of heart??!!! I like to sing along with this song whenever I played it . As I mentioned it took me a while to find out the whole lyrics of this song I spent hours and hours in surfing the web & Im glad I got 'em so happy
Old 09-12-2005, 06:39 AM   #1233
gl4eva90210

You want just ONE favourite song????? well, thats not going to happen!

Here is my list......in absolutely no particular order, these are just the ones that are always repeated on my mp3 player lately....

Ballad of Yarmouth Castle
Pony Man
Minstrel of the Dawn
Sundown
Beautiful
Fine and Fine Can Be
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Sit Down Young Stranger
Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Race among the Ruins
Did She Mention My Name
Circle of Steel
Race Among the Ruins
I'm Not Supposed to Care
If You Could Read My Mind

Better stop typing now.. although the list is NEVER going to be complete

About me?? Been a lightfoot fan since my daddy bought Summertime Dream on Cassette many many years ago.....got most of them now..... my greatest wish is to see him live.. I guess we are all destined to have unfulfilled wishes as I dont' see him touring Australia any time soon :&lt; Oh well I have the Live in Reno DVD and the Harry Tracey movie to give me my fix as needed, and of course, the wonderful songs that speak to my heart and soul.......
gl4eva90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:39 AM   #1234
carolanne

Here is my list......in absolutely no particular order, these are just the ones that are always repeated on my mp3 player lately....

Pony Man
Minstrel of the Dawn
Sundown
Beautiful
Fine and Fine Can Be
Sit Down Young Stranger
Race among the Ruins
Did She Mention My Name
Circle of Steel
Race Among the Ruins
I'm Not Supposed to Care

About me?? Been a lightfoot fan since my daddy bought Summertime Dream on Cassette many many years ago.....got most of them now..... my greatest wish is to see him live.. I guess we are all destined to have unfulfilled wishes as I dont' see him touring Australia any time soon :&lt; Oh well I have the Live in Reno DVD and the Harry Tracey movie to give me my fix as needed, and of course, the wonderful songs that speak to my heart and soul.......
Old 09-12-2005, 06:52 PM   #1235
Wesley

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
One of my more simpler fav's from the 60's era is,"Sixteen Miles To Seven Lakes". Although quite a short song,Gord puts just enough emotion into it that it doesn't seem short. One of many great things within his great talent.
I know in the 60s there were many that were amazingly short that I know of. How short was this 1?
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:52 PM   #1236
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
One of my more simpler fav's from the 60's era is,"Sixteen Miles To Seven Lakes". Although quite a short song,Gord puts just enough emotion into it that it doesn't seem short. One of many great things within his great talent.
I know in the 60s there were many that were amazingly short that I know of. How short was this 1?
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:30 PM   #1237
Spanish Moss

Send a message via AIM to Spanish Moss

Like most of us it's very hard to pick one "favorite" from amongst some 400 great songs - and usually depends on our own current place on life's path, and can change with new releases, new times, new moods.... But - to the point of this topic - my consistently favorite over the years has remained: "Fine As Fine Can Be".
The fabulous poetry, vivid imagery, and lovely love story feeling would make it a favorite anyway. But - it becomes tops when knowing it was written to and for his young daughter. Being the father of a daughter myself it touches and moves me everytime I play it. I was also privileged to see Gord perform it right after he first recorded and released it - at Sacramento's venerable old Memorial Auditorium on the Cold On the Shoulder Tour... It was also first time I had ever seen him play piano on stage. Wow!
That's as fine as fine gets...
Old 09-12-2005, 07:30 PM   #1238
Dr. Michael D

Like most of us it's very hard to pick one "favorite" from amongst some 400 great songs - and usually depends on our own current place on life's path, and can change with new releases, new times, new moods.... But - to the point of this topic - my consistently favorite over the years has remained: "Fine As Fine Can Be".
The fabulous poetry, vivid imagery, and lovely love story feeling would make it a favorite anyway. But - it becomes tops when knowing it was written to and for his young daughter. Being the father of a daughter myself it touches and moves me everytime I play it. I was also privileged to see Gord perform it right after he first recorded and released it - at Sacramento's venerable old Memorial Auditorium on the Cold On the Shoulder Tour... It was also first time I had ever seen him play piano on stage. Wow!
Old 09-13-2005, 06:16 AM   #1239
Auburn Annie

Yeah, one of my favorites, too. I do wish he would add / play piano more often but understand the logistic difficulty in having a tuned piano available at a site where he's performing, much less hauling one around with him. But I do love the sound of a piano.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:16 AM   #1240
Auburn Annie

Yeah, one of my favorites, too. I do wish he would add / play piano more often but understand the logistic difficulty in having a tuned piano available at a site where he's performing, much less hauling one around with him. But I do love the sound of a piano.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:39 AM   #1241
CatalinaMarin

Quote:
Originally posted by carolanne:

Pony Man
Minstrel of the Dawn
Sundown
Beautiful
Fine and Fine Can Be
Sit Down Young Stranger
Race among the Ruins
Did She Mention My Name
Circle of Steel
Race Among the Ruins
I'm Not Supposed to Care

Old 09-13-2005, 08:48 AM   #1242
CatalinaMarin

Well, I guess I need to have all his collection. Im a music lover too honestly the worst on me is I am only familiar with the song title not the artist too bad huh!but the song "If you could read my mind" it breaks the ice I really need to know who was the origianl artist it strikes me out. I love music so much my mom was a good musician back home in asia and I guess I got her passion in music.Sometimes I perform in gatherings but still have no guts to get into the big apple "do you know someone"? since you are "jill of all trade"
Old 09-13-2005, 08:59 AM   #1243
CatalinaMarin

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Michael D:
Old 09-13-2005, 09:10 AM   #1244
CatalinaMarin

I wish I could see Gordon perform live!Lucky you! seeing Gordon performing live that it is a BIG WOW! I agree that all his music has a lot of moods and it touches anyone of us as the saying goes "music is a language of human soul"
Old 09-14-2005, 02:23 PM   #1245
bluemur

Does anyone else really like "Baby, It's Alright" from IYCRMM. That's a hard one to get out of your head. I think Chris Isaac must have. Even though they are different song styles I always think of "Wicked game" when I hear "Baby, It's Alright"--anyone agree?
Old 09-14-2005, 02:23 PM   #1246
mrburns

Does anyone else really like "Baby, It's Alright" from IYCRMM. That's a hard one to get out of your head. I think Chris Isaac must have. Even though they are different song styles I always think of "Wicked game" when I hear "Baby, It's Alright"--anyone agree?
mrburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 05:12 AM   #1247
gl4eva90210

I was talking to my daddy about this just last night in our weekly phone call... He couldn't believe that I left off Protocol and Big Blue.. they are his favourites... I must admit.. Protocol is usually on repeat on my mp3 too.. that wonderful haunting melody... oh, and I think Baby Step Back would come close to 'pushing the rock and roll button' lol!

Ok, back to listening,

Be well

Carol
gl4eva90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 05:12 AM   #1248
carolanne

I was talking to my daddy about this just last night in our weekly phone call... He couldn't believe that I left off Protocol and Big Blue.. they are his favourites... I must admit.. Protocol is usually on repeat on my mp3 too.. that wonderful haunting melody... oh, and I think Baby Step Back would come close to 'pushing the rock and roll button' lol!

Ok, back to listening,

Be well

Carol
carolanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:33 PM   #1249
Glenmark

"The House You Live In" because it's beautiful and I never get tired of playing and singing it.
Glenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:38 PM   #1250
<.>

the pony man has always been one of my favorites. It's what got me started into listening to Gord. i also like bells of the evening, carefree highway, the ecmond fitzgerald, and softly.