banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 12-22-2004, 02:36 PM   #101
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

quote:Originally posted by shortvegg:
I am in Woodbridge, VA. Anyone from there here?

Or near DC or anything?

I'm in Salisbury on the Eastern Shore of Mayland. Delmarva, if you know where that is ?

Bill

BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:03 PM   #102
Aime_41

quote:Originally posted by searam:
Just curious! It would be helpful to me to know where we all reside, so we could plan concerts, etc. Anyone interested?
Sean

We're in Minnesota....originally from Upper
Michigan. (Marquette.....where we saw the
Edmond Fitzgerald.)

Aime_41 .....aka.....lam3346e

------------------
Aime_41
Aime_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:07 PM   #103
Aime_41

quote:Originally posted by Moosedog:
I live in Cheboygan, Michigan - right at the "tip of the mitt" on Lake Huron.

Vickie

"Hi!" Our son and his wife live in Linden, MI, Between Flint and Detroit. It's beautiful
country!!

Aime_41 ...aka...lam3346e

------------------
Aime_41
Aime_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:39 PM   #104
violet Blue Horse

And this would be where I now live. The San Bernardino Mountains, the new in place to run the rapids.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:19 AM   #105
Sheryl Klein

Hey Violet, are you doing ok?? Do you need anything? I'm over in the San Fernando Valley...
Old 01-12-2005, 12:31 AM   #106
violet Blue Horse

I coulda used a boat yesterday, but other than that . . . but thank you for asking.

Besides all the roads into and out of the mountains have been closed by mud boulders and washed out roadway since last night. No way in or out by car and no mail. So much for the sleet and snow line. Verizon was supposed to have fixed the phone lines yesterday so we could call off the mountain, but like everything Verizon tries, it didn't work.

I just want the river outside my bedroom to turn back into a nice tame little stream so I can sleep at night. The roar is deafening even through the walls.

But yeah, I'm okay.

quote:Originally posted by Sheryl Klein:
Hey Violet, are you doing ok?? Do you need anything? I'm over in the San Fernando Valley...

Old 01-12-2005, 01:12 AM   #107
Sheryl Klein

Well, I'm glad to hear you're doing o.k. If you need something, (short of a boat or helicopter!) let me know if I can help.

So, yesterday, I drove past the L.A. River (flood control channel) and it was just a RAGING TORRENT. I've never seen it that full, more than 3/4, in my whole life. Lived here all my life. It was AWESOME! I love water, esp. rivers, streams, peaceful oceans (I'm a Scorpio -- does that mean anything?), so I parked so I could look at it, it's POURING down rain, but, I have the heater going, I plugged in one of Gord's CD's (Shadows -- a personal fav), and I just watched the water roar. It was deafening! It was around 9:45 a.m. after I'd dropped off the kids at school. I had gone to bed late the night before and was kind of tired. So, between the music, the heated comfort, and the water, I fell asleep! I woke up to the sound of voices and found a news crew set up right outside my window!! How embarrassing!! (No, they weren't filming me, but, the flood control channel!!!) My head was hanging down, my mouth was open, God, I was probably snoring!! But, thankfully, the water was so loud, no one could hear!!! Anyway, I watched them do their live report and then they left. Ahh, life in L.A.!!
Old 01-12-2005, 02:07 AM   #108
violet Blue Horse

Oh that's funny Sheryl.

I tried using Lightfoot music the night before last to drown out the river, but it just wasn't working for me.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:21 AM   #109
Sheryl Klein

You gotta crank it up!!
Old 01-13-2005, 05:48 AM   #110
jj

quote:Originally posted by violet Blue Horse:
And this would be where I now live. The San Bernardino Mountains, the new in place to run the rapids.

i get it now, i just though that was a real nice pic at first...glad you and all (pretty much ) are ok now that i'm more with it and have caught up on the probs in the west and in Australia too, agh

it'll be mild here today, the river already runs wild, we'll see ... time to bring out my highschool floods pants

anyways, i've always loved the power of water (and wind but not fire) but not so much lately
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:08 PM   #111
violet Blue Horse

Uh, that would make it hard to sleep wouldn't it? Anyway, it appears I won't be having that problem again anytime soon. I entered escrow on my first house this morning

The new house sits on flat ground, no nearby stream/river, level parking, the works. In theory, I shouldn't have to worry anymore about a river washing my home away again.

You gotta crank it up!!

Old 01-13-2005, 10:42 PM   #112
Sheryl Klein

Uh, sorry, Violet, I thought you just wanted to drown out the sound of the river with something else... anyway, congrats on the new house!!! Much happiness in it!!
Old 01-13-2005, 10:50 PM   #113
violet Blue Horse

Well yeah, but I wanted to be able to sleep too. Discovered that if I turned the music up loud enough to drown out the river I couldn't sleep because the music was too loud. Catch 22. And thank you. I'm sure once I get done throwing up and shaking in my boots I'll be just fine and dandy in the new house.

Uh, sorry, Violet, I thought you just wanted to drown out the sound of the river with something else... anyway, congrats on the new house!!! Much happiness in it!!

Old 01-23-2005, 11:58 PM   #114
weasel

Salisbury, North Carolina, USA. Typical small town. The major happening around here seems to be replacement of the Innes Street Bridge, which has taken a couple of years and looks like it might take a couple more to finish it!!

Nice place to live, though. Beach is 4 hours away and mountains are about 2 hours away. Weather is tolerable, with a little snow in the winter and some nice hot days in the summer.

weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:34 AM   #115
The Rez

I'm from Balboa, CA at the tip of the Balboa Peninsula in Newport Beach (down by The Wedge - the body surfing nirvana)

As a road musician all these years, I've found that wherever I've gone the people who live there call it "God's Country." They can't imagine how anyone could possibly live anywhere else. I think that's sorta nice.

As for me, I'd have a real hard time in a place where I couldn't get to an ocean real fast. I sorta like the edge of the country.

Seeing the sunrise out of the Atlantic was great when I lived in Savannah yrs ago, but I'm partial to that Pacific as the sun hits the horizon and the clouds are sprayed with leftover sunlight.

So many folks aren't aware of the beauty going on around them - all for the taking. Sad. I guess, when I give it a ponder, everyone's right. They do all live in God's Country.

Just give me an ocean.

The Rez

------------------
It was a Beautiful Rainbow
A Beautiful Time in my Life
A Thing to Share
A Time to Care
To Be Alive
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:20 PM   #116
searam

Good to be back for a while, anyway! It feels good to read from so many of you about the great places you live! Marina del Rey, CA, has been a bit wet, lately! They say it is the most rain in over a hundred years! Figures, since I have been her for almost a year now!
Let's keep it going!
Sean
searam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:37 AM   #117
StingRay

Hello everyone, nice to see that we have a worldwide representation here. I'm just a little north of Barrie, Ontario. I was born about 10 kms from Orillia (Gord's hometown). Looking forward to seeing some of you at the Orillia show this December.
StingRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:38 AM   #118
StingRay

Hello everyone, nice to see that we have a worldwide representation here. I'm just a little north of Barrie, Ontario. I was born about 10 kms from Orillia (Gord's hometown). Looking forward to seeing some of you at the Orillia show this December.
StingRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:51 PM   #119
Kathy in Michigan

Born in Detroit, now in Northern Lower Michigan near Frankfort on Crystal lake. Lake Michigan is 6 miles away... Beautiful area.
Kathy in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 02:19 PM   #120
RusticoGirl

Quote:
Originally posted by searam:
Just curious! It would be helpful to me to know where we all reside, so we could plan concerts, etc. Anyone interested?
Sean
Hi There,
Actually I think it is good to know where we fans of G.Lightfoot live
So as for myself? I am half Canadian (better half)
I live in Hampshire, England and the brightest of you will know by my name where in Canada I originate from :D

I know that on the chat about "favorite G.Lighthouse" I said "Sundown" was my favorite , but he has brought out so many Amazing songs that it`s real hard to choose just one...I really do love "The No Hotel" Brilliant!!!
Best Wishes,
Rustco Girl
Old 05-08-2005, 02:52 PM   #121
Laci

I live in Henderson Nevada. Born in Winnipeg, raised in Toronto. Moved to Detroit in 68 and Cleveland in 71. Florida in 73 and then Las Vegas in 75. I used to work across the street from the Las Vegas Hilton where Gordon had a cover photo taken for one of his albums. Cannot remember which one (senior moment!) Anyhoo, everytime I looked out on the Hilton I would think of Gordo!

It is good to know where everyone lives! Hope to meet some of you in September in Reno.

Laci
Laci is offline   Reply With Quote