banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2000, 02:11 AM   #26
isabella

Dear Rob,

Checked out Moab.Wow.What beautiful country.I am originally from New Brunswick Canada.Check it out sometime. Where you have inland vistas, we have rugged coastlines and the songs of the sea.Anyone ever hear of Stan Roger?
I too met John Gorka and had coffee with him in Canso Nova Scotia at a festival.This literate man is so quiet that he he seeme almost shy until he took to the stae and dazzled us all.You have to love a man who doesnt believe his own press.
The sound bites available at www.garnetrogers .com will let you have a small taste of my favorite singer/songwriter.He has this one song called Phone Booth where an alcholic husband tries to talk his wife into taking him back.It contains the heart breaking lyrics of a man in despair when he asks

Does it not matter that I love you
Don't you love me anymore.
But she just listened to the static and said
I used to
But that was long ago
Don't call here anymore.

Get your Kleenex out.
isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2000, 08:17 PM   #27
arno

As much as I am a fan of most of the names mentioned in responses so far, there really is no one who can compare with Michael Johnson in a solo concert. If you admire jaw-dropping guitar artistry with SIMULTANEOUSLY masterful singing, incredible depth of repertoire and incomparable audience rapport, Mr. Johnson is the man. Who else has matched guitar skills in performances with Leo Kottke and Chet Atkins, sung in the Mitchell Trio with John Denver, and starred on Broadway in "Jacques Brel is Alive and Well"? Check out the fan messages on his website if you need more proof. The man is without peer.
Old 04-28-2000, 08:17 PM   #28
arno

As much as I am a fan of most of the names mentioned in responses so far, there really is no one who can compare with Michael Johnson in a solo concert. If you admire jaw-dropping guitar artistry with SIMULTANEOUSLY masterful singing, incredible depth of repertoire and incomparable audience rapport, Mr. Johnson is the man. Who else has matched guitar skills in performances with Leo Kottke and Chet Atkins, sung in the Mitchell Trio with John Denver, and starred on Broadway in "Jacques Brel is Alive and Well"? Check out the fan messages on his website if you need more proof. The man is without peer.
Old 04-29-2000, 10:55 AM   #29
BuddyP

Bob Dylan does alot for me. Of course, The Beatles too. There's a Texan songwriter who impresses me alot now, that's Robert Earl Keen. Can forget about Simon and Garfunkel, I like Paul Simon, but I think he jelled better with Art. David Allan Coe and Bread (David Gates) don't receive much attention as of late, but I always liked their songs..
"Or I could be back at the alehouse, with a flagon or two."
BuddyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2000, 06:20 PM   #30
thumbs

Send a message via ICQ to thumbs

Here are some of the artists you will find playing on my home and/or car stereo when you are not hearing Gord.

James Taylor, John Denver, Dan Fogelberg, Marty Robbins, Johnny Cash, Neil Young, Steely Dan, Harry Chapin, the Allman Brothers, Jackson Browne, Jim Croce, The Band, and Don McLean, just to name a few.

I enjoy putting together my own 'various artist' tapes including songs from all of my favourites. They're especially enjoyable when driving on long trips.

potter

'I want to know if the soft scented touch of your lips
Must be taken away like a mother's first kiss to the life that she gives'

GL

[This message has been edited by potter (edited April 29, 2000).]
thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2000, 06:20 PM   #31
potter

Here are some of the artists you will find playing on my home and/or car stereo when you are not hearing Gord.

James Taylor, John Denver, Dan Fogelberg, Marty Robbins, Johnny Cash, Neil Young, Steely Dan, Harry Chapin, the Allman Brothers, Jackson Browne, Jim Croce, The Band, and Don McLean, just to name a few.

I enjoy putting together my own 'various artist' tapes including songs from all of my favourites. They're especially enjoyable when driving on long trips.

potter

'I want to know if the soft scented touch of your lips
Must be taken away like a mother's first kiss to the life that she gives'

GL

[This message has been edited by potter (edited April 29, 2000).]
potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2000, 09:05 AM   #32
BigFitz

Wow! Everyone brings up great artists! I agree with alot of you. In addition I'd like to add Ray Charles, Steve Goodman and Glen Campbell. I totally agree with all accolades heaped upon Kris Kristofferson. I also caught that Biography special and loved it! What a life!

Also, there are a couple of smaller time outfits that I really love, which some of you may have heard of. Double Down is a couple of guys that sing predominantly traditional folk and Irish music in the DC area, although they do some touring around the nation as well. There's also a piano player/singer named Shirley Reiser who performs mostly in the Niagara region of New York State. Sometimes she appears alone, playing and singing, and sometimes a guy named Vinnie (who I believe is blind) plays the piano with her.

There's alot of great talent out there, but no one can write a song like Gord!
BigFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2000, 09:05 AM   #33
bobo

Wow! Everyone brings up great artists! I agree with alot of you. In addition I'd like to add Ray Charles, Steve Goodman and Glen Campbell. I totally agree with all accolades heaped upon Kris Kristofferson. I also caught that Biography special and loved it! What a life!

Also, there are a couple of smaller time outfits that I really love, which some of you may have heard of. Double Down is a couple of guys that sing predominantly traditional folk and Irish music in the DC area, although they do some touring around the nation as well. There's also a piano player/singer named Shirley Reiser who performs mostly in the Niagara region of New York State. Sometimes she appears alone, playing and singing, and sometimes a guy named Vinnie (who I believe is blind) plays the piano with her.

There's alot of great talent out there, but no one can write a song like Gord!
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2000, 03:32 PM   #34
2Much2Lose

My musical tastes don't seem to stray very far. Give me a red headed guitar player and I'm happy! Running a very close second to Gordon Lightfoot for me is Dave Mallet. He tours a great deal in New England, and is definitely worth seeing. Just like Lightfoot, the cds are great, but he is even better in person.
Jenney
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2000, 03:32 PM   #35
Jenney

My musical tastes don't seem to stray very far. Give me a red headed guitar player and I'm happy! Running a very close second to Gordon Lightfoot for me is Dave Mallet. He tours a great deal in New England, and is definitely worth seeing. Just like Lightfoot, the cds are great, but he is even better in person.
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2000, 06:08 AM   #36
thumbs

Send a message via ICQ to thumbs

Bobo,

I am also a big SKR fan. A minstrel in her own right, I have often found myself singing along as she tickles the ivories. I must say that I am even a bigger fan of her acapelo (sp) work. Are you familiar with her 'Music from the Bathtub' pieces? They are mysteriously haunting, not unlike 'The Wreck' or 'Miguel'.

Does anyone know if Ruby Lee and/or Lee Forrester are still making music?

potter

'It's cold outside your window,
Please let me in the night is wild.'

GL
thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2000, 06:08 AM   #37
potter

Bobo,

I am also a big SKR fan. A minstrel in her own right, I have often found myself singing along as she tickles the ivories. I must say that I am even a bigger fan of her acapelo (sp) work. Are you familiar with her 'Music from the Bathtub' pieces? They are mysteriously haunting, not unlike 'The Wreck' or 'Miguel'.

Does anyone know if Ruby Lee and/or Lee Forrester are still making music?

potter

'It's cold outside your window,
Please let me in the night is wild.'

GL
potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2000, 07:37 AM   #38
Jenney

How about the amazing Beth Neilson Chapmen or June Tabor.The song How will I ever be Simple Again? sends shivers down my spine and you just have to ask yourself.If Love is a circle and something has gone terribly wrong, one can only hope that it will come your way, that intensely...just one more time.
Great singer/songwriters have the ability to make us travel many miles within our own minds and remember the pain and passion that has changed our lives forever.

'And by the way
Did he mention my name?
Old 05-04-2000, 07:37 AM   #39
isabella

How about the amazing Beth Neilson Chapmen or June Tabor.The song How will I ever be Simple Again? sends shivers down my spine and you just have to ask yourself.If Love is a circle and something has gone terribly wrong, one can only hope that it will come your way, that intensely...just one more time.
Great singer/songwriters have the ability to make us travel many miles within our own minds and remember the pain and passion that has changed our lives forever.

'And by the way
Did he mention my name?
Old 05-06-2000, 01:03 AM   #40
dill23

Isabella,

You made a believer out of me. I went over and gave Garnet Rogers a listen. Can't say I like his electric stuff that much, but the ballads are like knives in the heart. OUCH!!
(Thanks for coming to Moab for a visit, too.)
Now I got to get me some of that boy's stuff.

If anybody is interested in giving David Wilcox a listen, try www.davidwilcox.com for some sound clips off his latest CD.
dill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2000, 01:03 AM   #41
Rob Wells

Isabella,

You made a believer out of me. I went over and gave Garnet Rogers a listen. Can't say I like his electric stuff that much, but the ballads are like knives in the heart. OUCH!!
(Thanks for coming to Moab for a visit, too.)
Now I got to get me some of that boy's stuff.

If anybody is interested in giving David Wilcox a listen, try www.davidwilcox.com for some sound clips off his latest CD.
Rob Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2000, 06:32 AM   #42
Jenney

Dear Rob,

Glad you like Ganet Rogers and you are right his ballads are his best work.He only did one electric album , it was the year he turned 40( that should explain everything:})
He travels in a white Volvo with a million miles on it..all alone.He sells out in America and Canada and as it is with many artists, he is at his best when seen live.
Years ago he was part of his brothers band, the late Stan Rogers(incredible man to check out as well)and they all toured Canada on a bus.Gord was with them and Joni Mitchell.They are all old friends and associates but Stan perished in a fire on a plane as he was coming back from Kerrville Texas and Garnet has never flown since.
I love David Wilcox by the way.You have great taste.
I spent a year working with Garnet's wife trying to get him on Canadian telelvison.After many phone calles to ill informed talent co-ordinators, I was told he was too intellectual for the average Canadian audience.Which of course could only mean that we all are a bunch of morons.:}To heck with them all,Listen and learn from a master at work.

Where I go, you go with me
Tho the miles keep us apart
Your kiss is on my lips
Your face before me
And your gentle hand
Always on my heart.

We are brief as summer lightening
We are swift as swollows flight
We are sparks that spiral upwards
In the darkness, in the night
We are frost upon this window
We wont pass this way again
In the end dear
Only love remains.

He wrote this for his wife while traveeling on the road.He tours 10 months of the year crisscrossing the America.Go see him if you can.
Old 05-06-2000, 06:32 AM   #43
isabella

Dear Rob,

Glad you like Ganet Rogers and you are right his ballads are his best work.He only did one electric album , it was the year he turned 40( that should explain everything:})
He travels in a white Volvo with a million miles on it..all alone.He sells out in America and Canada and as it is with many artists, he is at his best when seen live.
Years ago he was part of his brothers band, the late Stan Rogers(incredible man to check out as well)and they all toured Canada on a bus.Gord was with them and Joni Mitchell.They are all old friends and associates but Stan perished in a fire on a plane as he was coming back from Kerrville Texas and Garnet has never flown since.
I love David Wilcox by the way.You have great taste.
I spent a year working with Garnet's wife trying to get him on Canadian telelvison.After many phone calles to ill informed talent co-ordinators, I was told he was too intellectual for the average Canadian audience.Which of course could only mean that we all are a bunch of morons.:}To heck with them all,Listen and learn from a master at work.

Where I go, you go with me
Tho the miles keep us apart
Your kiss is on my lips
Your face before me
And your gentle hand
Always on my heart.

We are brief as summer lightening
We are swift as swollows flight
We are sparks that spiral upwards
In the darkness, in the night
We are frost upon this window
We wont pass this way again
In the end dear
Only love remains.

He wrote this for his wife while traveeling on the road.He tours 10 months of the year crisscrossing the America.Go see him if you can.
Old 05-06-2000, 11:41 PM   #44
dill23

I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record but Bob Gibson still does it for me too. But here's the fun stuff. There is a web site to Bob hosted by his oldest daughter, Meridian Green and her husband Gene Parsons of the Byrds. www.stringbenders.com she has an album of her own out and you can listen to some of the sound clips on the site. She's really got some great stuff.
dill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2000, 11:41 PM   #45
Rob Wells

I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record but Bob Gibson still does it for me too. But here's the fun stuff. There is a web site to Bob hosted by his oldest daughter, Meridian Green and her husband Gene Parsons of the Byrds. www.stringbenders.com she has an album of her own out and you can listen to some of the sound clips on the site. She's really got some great stuff.
Rob Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2000, 09:22 PM   #46
Simone

When I was a kid, on top of playing Lightfoot, my folks listened to a lot of Ian & Sylvia, John Denver, JT, Simon & Garfunkel, The Kingston Trio, Dylan, and Peter, Paul, & Mary.
I seem to listen to them more and more these days. I love the music, but also the memories they stir up. Great topic.
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2000, 09:22 PM   #47
Chris in Virginia

When I was a kid, on top of playing Lightfoot, my folks listened to a lot of Ian & Sylvia, John Denver, JT, Simon & Garfunkel, The Kingston Trio, Dylan, and Peter, Paul, & Mary.
I seem to listen to them more and more these days. I love the music, but also the memories they stir up. Great topic.
Chris in Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2000, 05:34 PM   #48
Wingdrops

Others that do it for me, albeit not so completely:

John Lennon - especially DoubleFantasy. Every parent ought to listen to "Beautiful Boy" and "Fine as Fine Can Be" before tucking their kids in at night, and every married man should listen to "Woman" and "Beautiful" before tucking their wife in. Lennon's personal evolution parallels GL's in some ways.

Steeleye Span, electric folk rock from Britain, using centuries-old lyrics in some cases. The lead female singer of Steeleye Span is Maddy Prior, who is terrific. She and June Tabor (mentioned above by someone) teamed up to do two "Silly Sisters" albums which are also great.

Simon and Garfunkel, Simon Without Garfunkel, Garfunkel without Simon ("Breakaway" album).

A few others.
Wingdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2000, 05:34 PM   #49
2Much2Lose

Others that do it for me, albeit not so completely:

John Lennon - especially DoubleFantasy. Every parent ought to listen to "Beautiful Boy" and "Fine as Fine Can Be" before tucking their kids in at night, and every married man should listen to "Woman" and "Beautiful" before tucking their wife in. Lennon's personal evolution parallels GL's in some ways.

Steeleye Span, electric folk rock from Britain, using centuries-old lyrics in some cases. The lead female singer of Steeleye Span is Maddy Prior, who is terrific. She and June Tabor (mentioned above by someone) teamed up to do two "Silly Sisters" albums which are also great.

Simon and Garfunkel, Simon Without Garfunkel, Garfunkel without Simon ("Breakaway" album).

A few others.
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2000, 10:56 PM   #50
charlene

I saw Art Garfunkel a few years ago and and his voice singing those classic simon & garfunkle songs made me weep in my seat! His voice was like an angel - so pure and innocent - still after all these years! I would pay to hear him sing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and go home happy! He has a wonderful voice and I am so glad I got to hear it in a live performance.
I miss John Lennon.
I miss Harry Chapin and Ricky Nelson and Jim Croce. I miss Jim Morrison too.
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote