banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2019, 09:58 PM   #1
horizonfound

Default Red Shea High String Guitar Youtube Video

I just posted my first youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UryksObWabQ

This is a look at Red Shea's High String tuning (which is not Nashville Tuning) where only the lower three strings are tuned up an octave..Red's Playing has never been duplicated before now; so, I thought I'd offer a glimpse. I may do full song versions of these later if there is an interest. These are note for note transcriptions btw....
Enjoy!
horizonfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
lighthead2toe

Default Re: Red Shea High String Guitar Youtube Video

Wow! Thanks so much for posting this horizonfound. What a wonderful treat seeing it for real. For those of us who have over the years unsuccessfully tried to capture that sound on our instruments, or even come in at a close second, we now can enjoy spending the time learning how to create the real thing. Please keep it going. There clearly is an interest coming in from this end.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:43 PM   #3
horizonfound

I'm shocked by the numbers of views on Youtube; and, there have been a number of views now of my post here...and within 24 hours, I've had a pair positive comments. One Here and one on youtube....I'm so glad to hear you'd like to hear more. I'm thinking of posting lessons for these songs (with all the parts). Do you think there is an interest for something like that from Lightfoot fans here? Once again, thank you for your words of encouragement!
Old 07-31-2019, 05:05 PM   #4
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizonfound View Post
I'm shocked by the numbers of views on Youtube; and, there have been a number of views now of my post here...and within 24 hours, I've had a pair positive comments. One Here and one on youtube....I'm so glad to hear you'd like to hear more. I'm thinking of posting lessons for these songs (with all the parts). Do you think there is an interest for something like that from Lightfoot fans here? Once again, thank you for your words of encouragement!
Great stuff, One minor but vitally important point, that long time aficionados here probably know, especially our Charming modem maderator person Charlene,. for some obscurely inexplicable reason that site owner Florian has never addressed if you simply copy and paste in aYouTube video's URL from the YT page's address bar then originally the forum software would immediately display the video nicely embedded within your message, but a couple of years ago (I fancy around the time that YouTube modified the format of the embed code that they provide for every video under their "share" facility the previously most satisfactory provision stopped working. However clever clogs Char then discovered that if you simply deleted the "s" in the "https" that starts off the URL the video would then display so I will try that here with your video to make the point:-
Actual non embedding URL:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UryksObWabQ
repeat with the "s" deleted
When I had played horizonfound's video on YouTube as is usual it continued with the next video in YouTube's helpful suggestion list. For me just now this was a fine demonstration by a "Beat" guy with the confident albeit debatable title of "TOP 20 ACOUSTIC GUITAR INTROS OF ALL TIME"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UNuqYFP-pM
It got me thinking that possibly horizonfound or another guitar virtuoso here could attempt to create a comparable video (or at least a listing of "The Top 20 (-or 10) Intros of Lightfoot songs by Red Shea" alternatively members here could suggest their own choices, noting that if it's to be a video with a commentary hopefully whoever makes it will think of some other way to introduce them instead of the boring repetition of "coming in at number.."!! I intend posting a link to this thread on Facebook probably on the Timeline on Carter Lancaster's page

Last edited by johnfowles; 07-31-2019 at 05:18 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:24 PM   #5
horizonfound

I see...https, delete the s (i.e. http: etc.)...got it! I appreciated the "confident albeit debatable title" observation. And on this week's Jeopardy....Alex, I'll take "Questionable Choices in Music" for 50 Dollars! Beyond that, I had to turn it off after a few examples....he's mauling a few of these (medic!)... Of related interest to our discussion of "Ode To Big Blue", the song "Free Falling" by Tom Petty featured a Nashville tuned guitar. A first position E Chord, in that particular tuning, resembles a slightly odd-sounding D chord, Capo 2. That's why the opening sounds so distinctive. Do you think Carter Lancaster will read this thread on his Facebook page (if you post a link)? I've noticed he perfectly replicates Terry's version of the intro to "Don Quixote."
I'll try to post a follow-up video this weekend of the complete ending of "Ode To Big Blue" (both guitars....). Red's solo that leads into the ending is different from his intro that I performed in my debut video....and it's BETTER as well....when you hear it, you can be the judge (of course)! Thanks for your kind words. The fine people here are making me feel at home and that's encouraging...

Last edited by horizonfound; 08-06-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
I see...https, delete the s (i.e. http: etc.)...got it! I
Actually although it functioned as desired when I demonstrated that method above it is not quite as straightforwards as that although think when Char first solved the problem it did Char?
because it does not always do so
I have now checked her most recent video display success in the Chrystal Gayle thread
and by simulating a reply using the quote facility I could see exactly what she had submitted and noted that even though the full URL of the video in question is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9Srs9FbjIQ
the very last line of the quote has everything in front of the www deleted
here now I have pasted in the url from www onwards
which truncated version then displayed the video (as you can see above)
As an earlier submission of this reply proved to me it would do.
NOTE that the actual display does NOT appear if you merely preview your posting for some goddamned reason it will only appear AFTER you have submitted it., don't ask just grin and bear it.
I suggest you try your own trial and error attempts in the test forum (or add your reply to my existing thread there)

Last edited by johnfowles; 08-01-2019 at 06:57 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #7
lighthead2toe

It's clear that this thread has generated a huge interest with more than two hundred views in only one month. This is the kind material that many Gordon Lightfoot fans appreciate and word spreads within the group when such a discovery unfolds. Thank you so much and please keep posting. Also, please give us a heads up if you're ever in the Toronto area.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:24 PM   #8
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

I just don't play anymore due to carpel tunnel about 6 years ago, but I sure do like watching the videos.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:52 PM   #9
horizonfound

Hi Folks...
I'm getting ready, right now, to start recording the ending of "Ode To Big Blue"...I promise, this will not be a 39 sec. video (sorry about that btw...it was literally a spur of the moment idea that my wife had ...I told her, this feels like it's too obscure an obsession of mine to have any audience...happily, I was wrong. Thanks to all of you!). For this video, I'm going to try to present three parts: Red Shea's high string, a second guitar playing in standard, capo 2 (the descending figure on the guitar that also plays the harmonics much earlier in the song. At this point, I could use some help....Can ANYONE confirm that guitarists identity? Is that Terry Clements debut or Red Shea doing an overdub? If you can post the answer to that question, in this thread, I'll credit that guitarists work in the video!). Finally, if I can figure out how to add it, Gordon himself played a THIRD part that is buried DEEP in the Right Channel. Because I had the other parts worked out, and playing "live' in my head, I was able to mentally block them out, while listening intently to the Right Channel, to complete the tab for Gordon's part... it's a peculiar part of my craft that I've been able to develop over the years. As a friend of my friend says, "the completest completion"! Stay tuned!
Old 08-05-2019, 12:20 PM   #10
horizonfound

We're using the Multimedia software Movavi and we've hit a few snags, the 'ol daunting "learning curve;" but, I believe, going forward, we should be able to pull off something everyone can enjoy. This involves the screen being split into thirds, and perfectly syncing the three tracks together. Well, the "perfectly syncing" part took awhile to negotiate.... My son is a Pro Tools expert and he gave us some excellent advice. So, we'll play around with the software during the week in order to master the controls; and by the weekend, I should be good to go. The recording of the guitar parts is the EASY part. It appears Movavi will work just fine as we become a bit more familiar with the software. So, hang in there! I'm trying my best to present a fine tutorial for everyone! Did anyone ever conduct a career-spanning interview with Terry Clements? I would think that would contain his recollections of his first recording duties for Gordon on the "Don Quixote" LP. I'd really like to identify that second lead guitarist, playing in standard (if it's at all possible!). I'll post an update soon!
Old 08-05-2019, 04:49 PM   #11
lighthead2toe

Quote:
I see...https, delete the s (i.e. http: etc.)...got it! I appreciated the "confident albeit debatable title" observation. And on this week's Jeopardy....Alex, I'll take "Questionable Choices in Music" for 50 Dollars! Beyond that, I had to turn it off after a few examples....he's mauling a few these (medic!)... Of related interest to our discussion of "Ode To Big Blue", the song "Free Falling" by Tom Perry featured a Nashville tuned guitar. A first position E Chord, in that particular tuning, resembles a slightly odd-sounding D chord, Capo 2. That's why the opening sounds so distinctive. Do you think Carter Lancaster will read this thread on his Facebook page (if you post a link)? I've noticed he perfectly replicates Terry's version of the intro to "Don Quixote."
I'll try to post a follow-up video this weekend of the complete ending of "Ode To Big Blue" (both guitars....). Red's solo that leads into the ending is different from his intro that I performed in my debut video....and it's BETTER as well....when you hear it, you can be the judge (of course)! Thanks for your kind words. The fine people here are making me feel at home and that's encouraging...
Ii you can post that complete ending of "Ode To Big Blue" I will have it on constant repeat till I can no longer flap my fins!
Old 08-06-2019, 11:21 PM   #12
horizonfound

Actually, you've given me an idea. I think I'll post a performance video as a stand alone experience; and, a second video tutorial as a companion link. This will be a slowed down performance with tab for each of the three parts. Thank you for your comment!
Old 08-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #13
lighthead2toe

This is most exciting. Thanks again.