banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-27-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
Long River

By chance, the tv was on, my husband was changing channels & ended up on PBS for a few minutes. What I heard on there made me stop in my tracks.

The music I usually listen to is Lightfoot, of course, Neil Diamond, Motown & late 50's & 60's music, big band, Nat King Cole. Prefer deep voices also, although I like some women singers.

But then I hear Celtic Woman, never heard of them before but there they are on my screen, singing with the most beautiful, angelic voices and a lively little fiddle player dancing about as she plays.

I started to tape it but only got about 4 songs. Kept watching over & over. Then purchased the DVD, then tickets to their upcoming concert here, then 2 CD's. All in a matter of less than 2 months.

Wow, just went head over heels for these gorgeous voices, singing songs I'd never heard of. They do sing some well known songs but I love the other ones too. It just seems so strange that it's different than the music I'm used to.
Long River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
charlene

I saw them briefly on Martha Stewarts show and have seen the ads for their appearance here in Toronto in June..
Like you I prefer male singers..not too many females that I can listen to long term in one sitting..

Enjoy the concert!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I like their version of Danny Boy. Beautiful harmony.
Send Me A Song is another good one.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
Peter Bro10

We (my wife and I) stumbled across Celtic Woman the same way, on PBS. Our 3 year old now goes around the house singing their songs! Yup, we got the DVD and CD. probably aren't done collecting yet! Captivating to say the least!

Yours truly is currently on unemployment, so I'll be stretching a bit just to get to Gord's show in Cedar Rapid come June. We'll be watching for the local concerts by CW, but doubtful if we'd be able to afford the show.

Anyone know if their stuff on youtube???

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
charlene

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=celtic+woman
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:03 AM   #6
Sundown17

Loreena McKennit has a new cd out after a many year sabbatical after the tragic death of her boyfriend. Coincidently it is her last cd "the book of secrets" that is often played during the pre concert and intermissions at alot of Gord's concerts in the venues that I have been. When I listen to the cd at home I close my eyes and can almost bring back the feeling of being at a Gord concert.

Like you and Char, timetraveler, I am not a huge fan of the Celtic Women, but I do admire them for their talent and the amazing shows they put on.
Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
Borderstone

I watched almost that whole show. Those ladies do not only have great voices,they are unbelievably beautiful.

I loved their almost perfectly identical version of,the 1989 Enya top 25 hit,"Orinoco Flow (Sail Away)".
Orinoco is a large river in Africa by the way,in case you don't know.

If it airs again,I'm going to watch all the way through.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:32 AM   #8
Jennifer

Quote:
Originally posted by timetraveler:
I'm not all that wild about Celtic Woman, but I will give them their props. They are good at what they do, and there's no denying that. Myself, there's one female artist who does similar types of music, and if I remember her name correctly, it's Laurena McKennet. At least I think that's how it's spelled. Anyway, a friend of mine sent me a copy of one of her tapes, and now I wish I'd taken better care of it, namely,I now wish I hadn't played it untill it broke. Nutz!
Loreena McKennitt is *The* Celtic Woman in my opinion. I have been a fan of hers for years and have Mask and Mirror, A Winters Garden and Book of Secrets. I know she just released a new CD recently called the Ancient Muse.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:09 AM   #9
jj

never heard of them but I found the "Making Of" documentary interesting - sure rather listen to them than than the Spice Girls and look at them rather than El Divo

those big shows take alot of dedicated choreography and production planning - hat's off to them, nice voices

hey, Sundown17, thanks for that info about LM, I didn't realize that, ashame

my taste doesn't seem to appeal to the slick Sarah Brightman, Andre Rieu, etc productions that often end up aired on PBS ...but in small doses, quite awesome...same goes for large doses of fiddle music (McMaster, McIssac, Leahy, Barra MacNeils & Rankins instrumentals, etc)...even guitar solos, I once saw Jesse Cook play incredible speedy live guitar solos, non-stop, yet it almost put me to sleep, with a bit of a headache also...oh well )
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:40 PM   #10
ELizabeth

Border, Border, Border. The Orinoco I believe is the third longest river in South America. :D
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:01 PM   #11
Borderstone

My goof Liz,I knew it was one of those similar shaped countries. :D LOL!

Hey Jen,Loreena McKennitt is good,my brother has her tape that includes "The Mummer's Dance" but I kind of gt tired of that song back then,when it was overused in many a Hollywood movie trailer!

The Spice Girls? I hate to tell you but there's rumors of a 10th anniversary reunion floating about! Aaaaaagh!
Hard to believe it's now just ove 10 years since this cam blasting out of the radio:

"Soooo... tell me what ya want,wot ya really-really want!!!" [img]tongue.gif[/img] I wonder how they'd sound doing "Mummers Dance" or "Only Time" ?? Ick!
Old 04-29-2007, 06:31 PM   #12
ELizabeth

I love it...'one of those similiar shaped countries'. Borderstone you are adorable.
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:46 PM   #13
Sundown17

Quote:
Originally posted by timetraveler:
One of the tunes that was on the McKennit tape that I played to death had a song on it called, I believe, Port Moore, and another tune, which was at the start of the tape, that had to do with Celtic celebrations that happened around harvest time & also mentioned All Hallows E'en, or something close to it. It also had a rather sweet, but tragic tune called The Lady Of Chaillot. So Borderstone, if you have any idea as to the name of said album, the holler. Because if I can find it, then I'm going to pick me up a new copy, even if I have to have it special ordered. As for Mummers Dance, I SOOO loved it.
You are close, timetraveler. It's Bonny Portmore and All Souls Night from "The Visit". I've seen it in most music stores, even up here in Cow Hampshire, especially now that she has a new one, so if you are lucky, you shouldn't have to special order it. Good Luck and enjoy!

Diane
Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:47 AM   #14
Long River

Thank you guys, I'll have to check out Loreena McKennit. It sounds like some of her songs may be similar in type to some of the ones I like by Celtic Woman, such as Newgrange & Dulaman.
Long River is offline   Reply With Quote