banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
geodeticman.5

Default Anyone see this odd "MediaMass" #1 song in history of GL's?

I came across this in a hyperlink in facebook. While its wonderful praise and tremendous if true, both Valerie and I though it odd and unlikely. Too good to be true. While "Early Morning Rain" IS a great song, is it the BEST song in the HISTORY of recorded music since 1923? It's a bit unlikely. OK so John Lennon's "Imagine" was #2 in the top 100 songs in all history (recorded since 1923), andis good company, lending some creedence, is Shakiru (sp?) really worthy of being in the top 5? hmmm You guys have probably already covered this unlikely site, but if not, here is the link/URL: http://en.mediamass.net/culture/earl...-all-time.html - see what you think.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
jj

Default Re: Anyone see this odd "MediaMass" #1 song in history of GL's?

How can opinions be false? I never heard of the site or ebert dude or mag or shakira song but its about time someone called a spade a spade when it comes to a grand combo of lyric authoring and musical composition. As for chord progression I do like the alt minor chord transition used in several cover versions

I think of it as Gord's signature song and think its odd its not performed every concert. I say close the first half with it and then, if required, retune the 12 string with capo+3 in prep to close each show with Trilogy

I'd put SFAWN right up with it, composition wise with universal appeal. I think IYCRMM is perfection but more personal so prefer Gord's original performance to any cover.

Just IMO. I couldn't find the top 100

Thx for the post Steve. A nice one to wake up to, in the early morning sunshine

Is the shakira song the one where she wiggles on beach while horses run by? My eyes recall it but my ears don't. Nice teeth on that gal. Probably also fake
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
charlene

that site is a 'spoof' sort of take on things..they also have said he's gonna be a dad, that he's engaged.they post about any and everything in tabloid fashion. it's junk. ignore at all cost...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
geodeticman.5

jj - I've seen shakira before, but I'm not sure about the song on the beach , and wiggling while horses run by,LOL. As to Lightfoot, I couldn't agree more in the merit of the song's worthiness in its quality overall merit. Just it doesn't look right, or reliable in any way.The two things that tipped me to the unlikely nature of the site itself:

1.) exactly as Char said - the tabloid nature of it. Amusing and sort of revealing of the nature of the site was the presumed viewing audience, per the advertisers, which one can only assume. If this was a respectable bona fide site of any quality and, well, pedigree (? - in such things that are pedigreed - fancy ruffled-shirt attendees of luncheons - that vs a "lunch" is I think about $45, ostentatious-acting rich people, Grey-poupon Mustard ads,etc. but then again dogs are pedigreed. OK not the "pedigree", but the presumed respectability of the venue where such tnings are revealed to the world - dignified attendees at an expensive awards banquet, an actual AWARD, - if it were an academic written work, there would be evidence of identifiable scholarly peer-review. Harrumph and all that rot - which BTW have torn me to shreds before over things I've written, LOL.

ANYWAY, at what one would assume would be a rarified, exquisite venue of a site at least where the finest 100 songs in history (and I'm not talking a TIME-LIFE/Readers-Digest collection here ) would you see a balloon advertisement right away when you attach to it that blurts out "Do want to see YOUR arrest records?" - that was my very first concern, despite seeing such pop-ups on the finest news sites too... but when you take a closer look at the site, it looks like trash-jounalism, tabloid exactly, as Char said. I say it B.S.

2.)Shakey wiggly shakira in the top 5 of the top 100 songs of all time?

Valerie, Like Char, is up on Lightfoot news. She said simply and succinctly: "I don't think this is true".

Wouldn't there have been fanfare in other venues we know of?

Wouldn't it have made Canadian news features on television and elsewhere?

I have to agree. My only question is this: Why?
Old 05-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
jj

The ‘People’ section is a humorous parody of Gossip magazines, all stories are obviously not true.

I found this above quote without looking too hard

So I guess there is no top 100 list. I'd likely replace the Shakia tube with 4 Strong Winds. Or Bohemium Rapsody (even though I don't know what it's about or how to spell the song title)

I'll try find a link to the wiggly song, geo

ps) Lightfoot is pregnant!
Old 05-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
jj

There we go. About 90 seconds in, u get the gist

She would do well in the Kentucky derby.

Quite a mudder
Old 05-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
geodeticman.5

OMG jj help where's my nytro-glycerin! I'm getting to old for videos like this, LOL. That IS a wiggly girl. I'll give her one thing though on a positive note (well it's all positive right now from where I sit)(sorry) - she is encouraging young ladies to not starve themselves, and have a little meat on their bones. This is how a healthy young celebrity woman should be, from a strictly anti-eating-disorder Public Health Service Video point of view, in terms of healthy body image. Oh SH** where's my inhaler? LOL Sorry ladies. Us men gotta cut-up once in awhile. Back to the regularly-scheduled me:

Harrumph-what is our music world coming to? Shameless prurient interests and hedonistic lifestyles being espoused! What are our young people to think?
Lol.........

Thanks for finding this video jj. Strictly in the spirit of disproving the veracity of the mediamass sham. Well, this busts it, as the Duke used to say. How could a Shakyira (or whatever her name is) possibly be in the top 5 songs in all recorded music history since 1923? Great job of under-cover legal research, jj. I think we have anough to go to court on that site now. Wait. I must watch the video one more time to be sure.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
Shakira - Whenever, Wherever - YouTube

There we go. About 90 seconds in, u get the gist

She would do well in the Kentucky derby.

Quite a mudder
Yes, she could win the Triple Crown, the Trifecta. However, from a strictly physics point of view, its been demonstrated that the fastest runners alive in the 100 metre dash consistently have narrow hips, as wider hips waist (oops I mean waste) more ft/lbs of energy in lateral (and reciprocating...) movement that's not being translated efficiently into forward motion. Yes,that's the ticket. This girl is inefficent!