banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2016, 01:50 AM   #1
Islandgirl1

Default Colbert sings medley of Gordon Lightfoot songs on the TONIGHT SHOW tonight

I always watch Steven Colbert on THE TONIGHT SHOW and have been a fan since the COBERT REPORT. As those of you who follow him know, he has been a relentless critic of the presidential candidates for the American election of 2016, especially Donald Trump. Tonight he presented a critique of the procedure for an American to become a Canadian citizen should their candidate not win the election. Knowing he is an avid fan of Gord's I just knew Lightfoot would in some way be mentioned and Colbert did not disappoint. The skit had Colbert in Canada in an interview with an immigration agent applying for citizenship. Besides naming "the maple leaf" & "the bare naked lady" as Canadian symbols in a citizenship test, his third answer for "what are the three responsibilities of citizenship?", his final answer is "you must be able to sing one Gordon Lightfoot song in karaoke". And this was followed by Colbert singing a medley of one liners of several Lightfoot songs (The Wretch, Sundown, IYCRMM, 10 Degrees & Getting Colder, Talking in Your Sleep, Carefree Highway, 2nd Cup of Coffee, Don Quixote then ending with a longer rendition of Talking in Your Sleep) & then commenting, "Heartbreaking... how come people don't sing more Gord? Come on! I'm a Canadian! I bet you Justin Trudeau couldn't name that many Gordon Lightfoot songs! I can sing them baby!!!" To which the agent stated "that was pretty impressive". If I can find the video I'll come back & post it. I haven't posted here in a long time. I haven't even visited here as often as I used to over the past year or so. Suffice it to say I've gone though some major changes in my life. I just had to come back to tell you all about this after I saw it tonight. And you'll probably see me here more often from now on. I'm still a GL fan.
Islandgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:59 AM   #2
paskatefan

Default Re: Cobert sings medly of Gordon Lightfoot songs on th TONIGHT SHOW tonight

Wow! That's awesome. Looking forward to a video, should it turn up!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #3
charlene

Default Re: Cobert sings medly of Gordon Lightfoot songs on th TONIGHT SHOW tonight

He's actually a fan of Lightfoot music: http://theweek.com/speedreads/656722...da-calls-bluff watch on youtube if link doesn't work:
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
charlene

Default Re: Colbert sings medley of Gordon Lightfoot songs on the TONIGHT SHOW tonight

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=26849 and previous mention/video...
Old 10-21-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: Colbert sings medley of Gordon Lightfoot songs on the TONIGHT SHOW tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandgirl1 View Post
I always watch Steven Colbert on THE TONIGHT SHOW and have been a fan since the COBERT REPORT..
I hate to rain on you parade, Dorothea, but here in New Jersey Stephen Colbert 's nightly show is called The Late show and is on CBS whereas The Tonight Show is hosted by the irrepressible Jimmy Fallon on NBC
Is it different on the Island??
OK it's in the thread title so it must be correct!!

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:53 PM   #6
Islandgirl1

You are right John-I screwed up, but it was in the wee hours of the morning when I posted. Yes, it's THE LATE SHOW on Long Island, NY, too.
Islandgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:24 AM   #7
paskatefan

Wow! Very impressed with his singing. He's got great taste in music! Thanks!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #8
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

that was fantastic to see. I sang right along with him.
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:59 PM   #9
Rob1956

On the "Colbert" show several years ago, he mentioned that the first LP he ever bought was
"Don Quixote".
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:38 PM   #10
charlene

Earlier in this post I posted the link to the previous thread about COlbert and it has the video Rob...

Tags
canadian, cobert, lightfoot, the tonight show