banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 01-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #26
brink-

Default Re: Was Robbed At Gunpoint Tonight

Self-offense, good description.

I have my concealed weapon permit and went through the safety class. I got it because of driving mountain roads (with some not quite dead road kill) -that was the original thought. Now that I live in the city I carry it more often.

JJ-you were happy to see me!!!
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #27
Auburn Annie

The things that are of most value to me that I'd grab in a fire are things like family photos, a stuffed toy from when I was a baby, letters from my long-deceased grandfather, etc. I actually have most of those things in a suitcase ready to toss out the window if need be. Things can be replaced; as long as my family and the dog are safe, I don't care. I have little of material value, seldom have more than $100 anywhere in the house, and am at an age where I am beginning to pare down things like credit cards.

Important computer files (tax records etc.) I keep on password-protected flash drives, at least one of which is in the safe deposit box at all times so I can reconstruct records if necessary, including household inventory. I probably overdo this stuff but that's me. My next project is to scan all the letters my mother wrote to me when I was in college (also siblings' and friends' letters) and email the files to my online storage and put a set on the drives, in case the physical letters and cards get damaged or destroyed.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #28
formerlylavender

I too am impressed with Annie's organizational skills. I like the suitcase out the window idea.

Any news on the investigation, Misty Moppens?
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:31 AM   #29
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post
. I got it because of driving mountain roads (with some not quite dead road kill) -that was the original thought
good thinkin, i'd do the same if they were legal to have in vehicle up here...the very first week living out this way i saw a deer in convulsions on side of road with the distraught driver of vehicle that hit it (and the very upset kids) looking on helplessly...the cops took car of things pretty quickly

similar scene just last month...anyhow, there's many deer and wild dogs around these days...i carry a handy blade and harmonica when i'm wandering about (my playing will have them all in retreat)

good tips, annie
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #30
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezo View Post
The chemo isn't a bad deal for me. My bone marrow doesn't work right. I'd been doing transfusions every two weeks for a couple of years. With the chemo 7 days a month (actually a bit less than a month) I'm back to making my own blood. No nausea and my hair is still on my head.

I'm at the Jersey shore - actually about 5 miles off the ocean. I like the areas you are talking about moving to. I may well move back to the NW Jersey hills. A slight shot at maybe Tallahassee. I lived there one year and really liked it but I'm pretty attached to where I grew up in those hills.
Hey there Fezo! Good to hear that things seem to be looking a little more sunny for you on the health front. As always, I keep you in my prayers.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #31
Auburn Annie

I come by my organizational skills honestly. As some of you know I was a librarian by profession, so categorizing and sorting are ingrained. But I also inherited much of it from my parents, who had 9 of us. When you're trying to keep 9 kids' appointments, school meetings, sports events, lunches and laundry from becoming overwhelming you have to be organized to keep your sanity. And it only gets worse when we hit our teens and were coming and going to friends' houses. I used to tell my mother she needed an airline arrival and departure board. Mind you, we learned early to be independent (also arrive on time for dinner or tough luck) and manage our own affairs. Calling to make my own appointments killed me because I was terrifically shy and hated talking on the phone.

Obviously I survived, so much so that not only do I take care of my own issues but those of a disabled sister in Atlanta. I had to call in the local PD last week when no one could reach her for days. I knew she was almost out of her medications (her 80-year-old doctor is undergoing chemo himself) and had started going into withdrawal. As it turned out, one phone was off-hook and she'd forgotten she'd turned off her cellphone at the movies and never turned it on again. The fact that she lives alone and loses the ability to walk intermittently due to a bad disk AND has blacked out at least once due to low blood sugar and concussed herself means I can't assume it's just an off-hook phone. Unfortunately, as I learned when she was flooded in September along with much of Atlanta, her neighbors are less than helpful ("tell her to call 911.") Sigh. She lives in chaos which costs her in anxiety, money, and energy. I went down in 2002 to get her paperwork ready for her disability hearing and spent a week organizing 200 files of papers that covered the dining room table and floor, in cartons. Can't wait until she's ready to sell the house and move back to NY.

When I was younger I was the "loan arranger", the unofficial savings and loan among my siblings, lending funds for textbooks and supplies and the occasional semester. Even though I've been out of work since October 2008 I still provide help where I can to tide over those who are down to a fiver and need the 15-year-old washer fixed. I keep my eye out for buy-one-get-one-free groceries and stockpile a family food pantry of sorts with canned soups and meats, noodles, rice, beans, veggies and whatever else I can manage (my homemade chili goes a long way.) Walmart sells those Hormel Compleats for under $2 each and I grab a half dozen to ship to Atlanta when I can; they're shelf stable and just the right size for Mary who has the appetite of a bird.

I'm not the only one, of course. One brother looks after our youngest sister who has Asperger's and other developmental problems. Sometimes we kid each other about who has the bigger crisis of the week. Lately we've been neck and neck. Calgon take me away!!!

Last edited by Auburn Annie; 01-24-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #32
charlene

You're a very kind and loving sister Annie....
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:53 PM   #33
podunklander

WOW Annie!! Your family is very fortunate to have you for a sis!!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #34
Auburn Annie

Oh we all have our issues (especially shortly after our parents died - pretty tense there for a while) but mostly we hang together and do what we can for everyone. I may be up when another sib is down and vice versa. It all works out in the end.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #35
fezo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Annie View Post
I come by my organizational skills honestly. As some of you know I was a librarian by profession, so categorizing and sorting are ingrained.
Nah. I'm a librarian myself and the most disorganized person you'll ever meet......
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #36
Auburn Annie

Quote:
Nah. I'm a librarian myself and the most disorganized person you'll ever meet......
Well I HAD to be, since my entire career I was a solo, nobody else to fall back on but one 80 year old volunteer once a week. Most of that time I worked as a hospital librarian, with doctors who needed drug interactions, surgical techniques, meta studies like yesterday (and they weren't ER docs, either - surgeons usually.) I worked with almost 100 doctors, 250 nurses, technicians, therapists, administrators, office staff and janitors, plus patients and their families. Like my Dad's, my desk looked like a paper factory exploded and, like him, I knew exactly where the folder with the quarterly budget was, or the orientation papers, or the draft of the article I was writing was tucked. Everything had to be easy to run in case I went on vacation (or maternity leave - you should have seen the panicked looks I got - "you ARE coming back, right??)

Where did you / do you work? Aside from the hospital I spent 5 years in a community college library, too.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:42 AM   #37
BendRick

I don't need a CCW Permit because the US Constitution & Bill of Rights already guarantees that. If anyone threatens me or my family, I am Required to Protect myself and them, with Deadly Force. It's as simple as that.
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:16 AM   #38
Auburn Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendRick View Post
I don't need a CCW Permit because the US Constitution & Bill of Rights already guarantees that. If anyone threatens me or my family, I am Required to Protect myself and them, with Deadly Force. It's as simple as that.
I'm not a constittional lawyer, so I won't go there. Just state law as easily found for, in this case, Oregon. As a law-abiding citizen-patriot you no doubt have followed the rules listed below:

How to Get a Permit to Carry a Concealed Weapon in Oregon

Oregon is a "shall issue" state. A carry and conceal weapon (CCW) permit will be issued to anyone who qualifies but will not serve as a National Instant Criminal System (NICS) check. The issuing authority is the county sheriff. The following steps will show how to obtain a CCW license in Oregon.

Step 1 Be 21 years of age and a resident of Oregon. The sheriff may waive the residency requirement if you are a resident of a contiguous state (California, Idaho, Nevada or Washington) and can demonstrate a legitimate need for a CCW permit in Oregon.

Step 2 Complete an approved firearms safety or training course. Oregon does not recognize CCW permits from any other state.

Step 3 Fill out the application form at your local sheriff's office. Each county uses its own form; there is no standard. Submit the completed application form, two forms of identification (one must have a photo), your firearms training certificate and the permit fee. The sheriff's office will take your fingerprints and photos.

Step 4 Receive your permit or be denied within 45 days. If you are denied, the sheriff must give you the reason in writing.

Step 5 Renew your permit every four years by paying the renewal fee. You are not required to inform law enforcement officials you are carrying a concealed weapon, but you must have your permit on your person and present it upon demand.

Step 6 Obtain written permission from a tribal judge to carry a concealed weapon onto an Indian reservation or other Indian property.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #39
Auburn Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendRick View Post
Also, I don't know about that "required" bit but use of deadly force by civilians requires more than simple threat of violence:

"When deadly force is used by a private citizen, the reasonableness rule does not apply. The citizen must be able to prove that a felony occurred or was being attempted, and that the felony threatened death or bodily harm. Mere suspicion of a felony is considered an insufficient ground for a private citizen to use deadly force.

This was demonstrated in the Michigan case of People v. Couch, 436 Mich. 414, 461 N.W.2d 683 (1990), where the defendant shot and killed a suspected felon who was fleeing the scene of the crime. The Michigan supreme court ruled that Archie L. Couch did not have the right to use deadly force against the suspected felon because the suspect did not pose a threat of injury or death to Couch."

http://www.answers.com/topic/deadly-force
Old 02-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #40
fezo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Annie View Post
Well I HAD to be, since my entire career I was a solo, nobody else to fall back on but one 80 year old volunteer once a week. Most of that time I worked as a hospital librarian, with doctors who needed drug interactions, surgical techniques, meta studies like yesterday (and they weren't ER docs, either - surgeons usually.) I worked with almost 100 doctors, 250 nurses, technicians, therapists, administrators, office staff and janitors, plus patients and their families. Like my Dad's, my desk looked like a paper factory exploded and, like him, I knew exactly where the folder with the quarterly budget was, or the orientation papers, or the draft of the article I was writing was tucked. Everything had to be easy to run in case I went on vacation (or maternity leave - you should have seen the panicked looks I got - "you ARE coming back, right??)

Where did you / do you work? Aside from the hospital I spent 5 years in a community college library, too.
Now see, with that medical background you do have to be organized and accurate.

I've been a reference librarian in a public system for about ever. That wasn't my plan but it worked out all right. Went up into middle management and hated it so moved back down to public service again. I'm the sort that likes to know a little bit about everything so in that respect it's a good career match.

In 2 years, 11 months and 9 days I'll likely be collecting pension and Social Security. Not that I'm counting or anything.... I could start collecting the pension any time I want but that's not enough to live on.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #41
Auburn Annie

The bedroom is a mess but my files, folders, paperwork? - alphabetical, by year, color-coded - you get the picture. I'm always tweaking to make it more intuitive. I have a couple of lists I give my husband with all of the accounts, contact phone numbers and addresses, logins and passwords, email accounts with logins and who to notify if I can't, for whatever reason. I update at least once a year. I've filed the paperwork for all accounts that can be POD or TOD (paid on death or transfer on death) so they will go direct to my beneficiary(ies) bypassing our wills. I still need to make a bequest list for personal items, though I have an idea of what to give our two children. But I've got 8 brothers and sisters, so this could take some time.

My husband and I have power of attorney for each other but need to update living wills to reflect newer technology. Basic funeral plans - organ donation if possible, cremation, no services. I want a big party on the birthday following my death, complete with song playlist. We've talked, gotten most of the details down.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #42
RM

Auburn Annie,

I think there could be a potential 'business model' in providing those services to others.

I'm still trying to balance my check book.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:32 AM   #43
podunklander

I feel like such a slacker for not having these important details all better organized!
Old 02-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #44
fezo

I am not the least bit organized. Living proof you can be in the library biz and still be a scatterbrain.

You do need a couple of things to pull such a thing off. The first is a tech services department to do whatever cataloging and such that needs to be done. (most stuff comes already cataloged.) Of course when you are having trouble finding something you can blame it on how these catalogers think.... That happens much less often now that everything is automated and you can play with key words and such.

The other thing you need is to be too smart for your own good. I always keep things in my head. This was great for thirty years or so before my head became a less reliable depository for facts. Used to be able to memorize credit card numbers. Now I feel fortunate to remember my zip code! Not that I'm old (yeah, sure) but I did have those ministrokes in 2002. i can blame those....
Old 02-05-2010, 01:53 AM   #45
BendRick

Thanks Misty Moppins, I'm just reminding everyone (not lecturing) that our Founding Fathers really appreciated the ownership of firearms, in case a rogue government became a tyranny. I think we USA citizens are getting very close to Revolt, we are over-taxed and over-regulated for so long, we almost wish for King George 3 to come back, so we could be less-taxed and free-er.Auburn Annie, let us agree to disagree.
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #46
Auburn Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Auburn Annie,

I think there could be a potential 'business model' in providing those services to others.

I'm still trying to balance my check book.
Heh - my grown children plus siblings keep me plenty busy. Today I re-uploaded a resume for a job for my unemployed youngest sister who has no computer. It had been done once before but "vanished" in the ether of the state labor department's site, so I sent it direct to the temp firm handling the job she's applying for. What with fact-checking her pay from 1990s jobs and other stuff that took an hour, including a follow-up call to the temp agency to let them know they might have a problem with their openings getting directed elsewhere via an incorrect website on the job description.

There actually are folks who either organize your life or just your finances or your medical bills or your clothes closet etc. It's just that I've been doing that for so long that it's not fun any more. I love a challenge - did my own taxes for years - but you reach a point when it becomes work (as in Maynard G. Krebs exclaiming in alarm "WORK!") I'm ready to shift gears downward. It would have to be a REALLY exciting job to get me interested.

When you go from setting your own work schedule, pausing to change from one task to another as you want, to being on someone else's schedule and track, it chafes and irritates. I wore a name badge for 22 years and didn't mind it, but I also filled out my own timecard each week, coded my own time off etc. I came in early more often than not, sometimes stayed late, took breaks when I felt like it - and truth be told they owed me about 6 weeks pay for breaks never taken - and went to lunch at a time of my choosing, depending on how busy I was.

When I returned briefly to my former employer as a non-manager in a different department, I had an ID slung around my neck which I used to clock in and out, with a five minute window (can't come in early or, of course, too late.) When they decided in the last 15 minutes of the 60 day limit not to keep me on, there was nothing quite so satisfying as that last swipe at the timeclock before dropping off the ID at the manager's desk. My blood pressure returned to normal within a week.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #47
podunklander

Quote:
I am not the least bit organized. Living proof you can be in the library biz and still be a scatterbrain.

You do need a couple of things to pull such a thing off. The first is a tech services department to do whatever cataloging and such that needs to be done. (most stuff comes already cataloged.) Of course when you are having trouble finding something you can blame it on how these catalogers think.... That happens much less often now that everything is automated and you can play with key words and such.

The other thing you need is to be too smart for your own good. I always keep things in my head. This was great for thirty years or so before my head became a less reliable depository for facts. Used to be able to memorize credit card numbers. Now I feel fortunate to remember my zip code! Not that I'm old (yeah, sure) but I did have those ministrokes in 2002. i can blame those....
hmmmm, think you're describing organized kaos here!

lol oh I know how cataloguers think ! My supervisor and I had such fine memories...we knew where everything was without having to look it up on the pc ;p. But these days, I'd probably find that my rote memory is no longer anything to brag about. 10 years ago, waitressing -I could take up a table of up to 6 orders (drinks, appetizers and entrees) without having to write it down.

I've never memorized cc #'s though!! But I think you're being too hard on yourself because technology has made that a less-needed thing to do anyway. You have enough on your plate with what you've been through. My memory (and many other things) has definetly improved with resolving the low glucose and adrenal stuff so I feel very fortunate!

Hope you're doing well!!! I'm on what I hope is my last hurdle for getting well again -next week I'm back to the allergist for food allergy testing. Today, I stopped by the health food grocer and the store owner spent a lot of time helping me find some different things I can eat. I had started skipping breakfast again because I'm so sick of eggs (and no toast!! ). So now I have organic tapioca for a breakfast choice .

But now, it's dinnertime! A baked sweet potatoe w/Greek yogurt
Old 02-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #48
formerlylavender

Misty, thanks for the update on the case. I hope so badly that you can ID the woman and that she's prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:39 AM   #49
Jesse Joe

MAYBE ?

ORIGINAL BAD BOY KNIFE !

http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=...og&sa=N&tab=wi

http://moonblades.com/images/bowie03.jpg
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #50
Jesse Joe