banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
surgery4

Hello to ALL...
I am Denny - a longtime GL fan/admire-er(?). I have visited this forum from time to time and have enjoyed so many of your stories and experiences that I thought it was time to jump "in the deep end of the pool." I am 56, born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area, and have played guitar for 46 years. From 1973-1978 I toured with some decent bands - extensively in Western Canada, and I unplugged around 1978 and have remained an acoustic guy to this day. Lots of stories in my pocket, and a few good GL tales to tell. Favorite LP: Shadows, along with all of the others!! Favorite Song: This week it is Same Old Obsession.
I look forward to talking with you from time to time. (I really like the CHUM posts!)
surgery4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
B45-12

Hello to ALL...
I am Denny - a longtime GL fan/admire-er(?). I have visited this forum from time to time and have enjoyed so many of your stories and experiences that I thought it was time to jump "in the deep end of the pool." I am 56, born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area, and have played guitar for 46 years. From 1973-1978 I toured with some decent bands - extensively in Western Canada, and I unplugged around 1978 and have remained an acoustic guy to this day. Lots of stories in my pocket, and a few good GL tales to tell. Favorite LP: Shadows, along with all of the others!! Favorite Song: This week it is Same Old Obsession.
I look forward to talking with you from time to time. (I really like the CHUM posts!)
Old 05-31-2007, 10:54 PM   #3
Dream Street Rose

Welcome Denny,

As I am sure you already know, if you like Lightfoot, good people, laughter and to be serious this is the place to be. The people here are some of the best people that walk the earth.

Have fun-
Old 05-31-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
Ginny

Hi Denny and welcome to the family. Just love the name seeing the B45 is my instrument of fav these days. If you're still in Western Canada it would be cool to connect. I'm sure we'd have a tale or two to tell and a tune or two to blend. Stay loose! Ron J.
Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:40 PM   #5
surgery4

Thanks for the fast welcome. Well, after re-reading my very first post - I realize that I may have left the impression that I remained up in Ca. Sorry for that. I am down here in CA. I live in the City of Brentwood, about 50 miles northeast of San Francisco. I am an industrial electrician, reduced to part time musician/gigger. I have two incredible kids - both in college. My son graduates with honors in three weeks from UC San Diego, and my beautiful daughter is completing her G.E.s, and will be a transfer student to S.F. State - fall semester. I do indeed own two Gibson B45-12 guitars. One is a 1965 Cherry Sunburst (Gord inspired, won't lie here), and a 1967 Natural finish that I have owned since new. Used to collect guitars...sold most of the collectibles. (Two kids in college - remember?)
Dream Street Rose - Cool name..great song...awesome album. thank you!
lighthead2toe (Ron) - I would love to connect at some point and do some playing. Not in the cards this year - but next year I RETIRE!!! LOOK OUT.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:40 PM   #6
B45-12

Thanks for the fast welcome. Well, after re-reading my very first post - I realize that I may have left the impression that I remained up in Ca. Sorry for that. I am down here in CA. I live in the City of Brentwood, about 50 miles northeast of San Francisco. I am an industrial electrician, reduced to part time musician/gigger. I have two incredible kids - both in college. My son graduates with honors in three weeks from UC San Diego, and my beautiful daughter is completing her G.E.s, and will be a transfer student to S.F. State - fall semester. I do indeed own two Gibson B45-12 guitars. One is a 1965 Cherry Sunburst (Gord inspired, won't lie here), and a 1967 Natural finish that I have owned since new. Used to collect guitars...sold most of the collectibles. (Two kids in college - remember?)
Dream Street Rose - Cool name..great song...awesome album. thank you!
lighthead2toe (Ron) - I would love to connect at some point and do some playing. Not in the cards this year - but next year I RETIRE!!! LOOK OUT.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
Jesse Joe

Welcome B45-12,

I like your handle name, just like I love that guitar, Gord's 12 string Gibson.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:48 AM   #8
Jesse Joe

Welcome B45-12,

I like your handle name, just like I love that guitar, Gord's 12 string Gibson.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:02 AM   #9
charlene

Welcome! Well NEXT year you can head up to Massey in Toronto and join Ron with his geetars, meet the rest of us and have yourself quite a time!
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:02 AM   #10
charlene

Welcome! Well NEXT year you can head up to Massey in Toronto and join Ron with his geetars, meet the rest of us and have yourself quite a time!
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:09 AM   #11
surgery4

Hi to Jesse-Joe and Charlene. I gotta say that I didn't think for one second I could sneak in here with the B45-12 handle undetected. Gordon is so identified with that Gibson model. Probably more so than any other Artist with any instrument. If you mention the name Stratocaster, Jimi, Eric and Stevie Ray all come to mind...but so do about a thousand others.
I hope that I can make it to Massey. Never been, and have wanted to for a long time. Although I did say that I have played guitar for 46 years - honestly(?) if you heard me play - it sounds like only 45. (pause for laughter) Seriously, I am no Tony Rice, but I can find my way around the neck and do a few cool things. Spent most of my time accompanying vocals. On another subject...I was one of the lucky ones I guess. I stopped in just in time to view the YouTube of "My Love For You" - then it was gone. I was so pleased to see him perform that song after all these years. There is some tricky phrasing and tempos here and there, and of course Gordon just nailed it! Well, it's 6 a.m. and I am off to work. Good day to ALL!
Old 06-01-2007, 08:09 AM   #12
B45-12

Hi to Jesse-Joe and Charlene. I gotta say that I didn't think for one second I could sneak in here with the B45-12 handle undetected. Gordon is so identified with that Gibson model. Probably more so than any other Artist with any instrument. If you mention the name Stratocaster, Jimi, Eric and Stevie Ray all come to mind...but so do about a thousand others.
I hope that I can make it to Massey. Never been, and have wanted to for a long time. Although I did say that I have played guitar for 46 years - honestly(?) if you heard me play - it sounds like only 45. (pause for laughter) Seriously, I am no Tony Rice, but I can find my way around the neck and do a few cool things. Spent most of my time accompanying vocals. On another subject...I was one of the lucky ones I guess. I stopped in just in time to view the YouTube of "My Love For You" - then it was gone. I was so pleased to see him perform that song after all these years. There is some tricky phrasing and tempos here and there, and of course Gordon just nailed it! Well, it's 6 a.m. and I am off to work. Good day to ALL!
Old 06-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #13
Moosedog

Welcome, Denny!

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:18 AM   #14
RM

B45-12,

By any chance do you have any examples of your music floating around on the web ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:38 PM   #15
Catfish

welcome denny..pull up a chair, throw some lightfoot tunes on and post some of your thoughts on this amazing artist
Old 06-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #16
surgery4

Thanks Vickie, Ron, and Blair. No(RM)- no tunes of mine out there on the web that I am aware of. I did a series of high dollar sessions over twenty years ago with a now famous Producer..but unfortunately all I walked with was rough mixes and that burning feeling that follows the finances being pulled in the home stretch. Happened a lot back then...to a lot of good talent! RM - your name sounds very familiar to me. Perhaps our paths have crossed.
Music in the mighty Astrovan on the ride home today was: Seven Island Suite - Is There Anyone Home - and The Watchman's Gone.

"....my life is a Gordon Lightfoot song.."
Old 06-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #17
B45-12

Thanks Vickie, Ron, and Blair. No(RM)- no tunes of mine out there on the web that I am aware of. I did a series of high dollar sessions over twenty years ago with a now famous Producer..but unfortunately all I walked with was rough mixes and that burning feeling that follows the finances being pulled in the home stretch. Happened a lot back then...to a lot of good talent! RM - your name sounds very familiar to me. Perhaps our paths have crossed.
Music in the mighty Astrovan on the ride home today was: Seven Island Suite - Is There Anyone Home - and The Watchman's Gone.

"....my life is a Gordon Lightfoot song.."
Old 06-01-2007, 07:50 PM   #18
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by B45-12:
I did a series of high dollar sessions over twenty years ago with a now famous Producer.
Just wondering...how much credit do you give to Lenny Waronker for Lightfoot's success ?

As far as crossing paths....if you saw my last name and pronounced it 'Mason' instead of 'Meeson', it is possible.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:09 PM   #19
surgery4

Okay Ron - you just hit a home run here!
I give Lenny the same amount of credit as I do to Sir George Martin. That's a mouthful.
Lenny's first shot at Production was with some old friends from the San Francisco Penninsula: The Mojo Men. They did a re-make of the Stephen Stills Tune Sit Down I Think I Love You and it charted well around 67-68. Little Jan Errico (drums) sang her heart out on that one. We actually worked together for a short time in Seattle, Kodiak Alaska, and of course local clubs in the Bay Area. Last I heard of Jan was she married a police officer in the early 80's and lived in the San Jose Area. Sorry for the rant - but Lenny Warronker deserves a private parking spot in the Hall of Fame. Did wonders with others as well - but had a real special place inside of him for Gordon. On the other hand....Gordon Lightfoot is the reason Lenny made it to VP of Warner Brothers in the late 70's. Gord was out selling the entire roster 5-1 and to my knowledge he kept the label afloat for quite some time!!!
That's just a few facts - and some of my take on it. I am new here - so if I get too wordy...just say so. I won't be offended.

I'll be posting some pictures Someday Soon (hey, is there an Ian Tyson song in there somewhere?)
Old 06-01-2007, 08:09 PM   #20
B45-12

Okay Ron - you just hit a home run here!
I give Lenny the same amount of credit as I do to Sir George Martin. That's a mouthful.
Lenny's first shot at Production was with some old friends from the San Francisco Penninsula: The Mojo Men. They did a re-make of the Stephen Stills Tune Sit Down I Think I Love You and it charted well around 67-68. Little Jan Errico (drums) sang her heart out on that one. We actually worked together for a short time in Seattle, Kodiak Alaska, and of course local clubs in the Bay Area. Last I heard of Jan was she married a police officer in the early 80's and lived in the San Jose Area. Sorry for the rant - but Lenny Warronker deserves a private parking spot in the Hall of Fame. Did wonders with others as well - but had a real special place inside of him for Gordon. On the other hand....Gordon Lightfoot is the reason Lenny made it to VP of Warner Brothers in the late 70's. Gord was out selling the entire roster 5-1 and to my knowledge he kept the label afloat for quite some time!!!
That's just a few facts - and some of my take on it. I am new here - so if I get too wordy...just say so. I won't be offended.

I'll be posting some pictures Someday Soon (hey, is there an Ian Tyson song in there somewhere?)
Old 06-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #21
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by B45-12:
so if I get too wordy...just say so.
Don't be silly.....please continue. I love this kind of stuff.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #22
surgery4

RM: Does the name Cisco and Boston Mason mean anything to you?
Old 06-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #23
B45-12

RM: Does the name Cisco and Boston Mason mean anything to you?
Old 06-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #24
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by lighthead2toe:
Hi Denny and welcome to the family. Just love the name seeing the B45 is my instrument of fav these days. If you're still in Western Canada it would be cool to connect. I'm sure we'd have a tale or two to tell and a tune or two to blend. Stay loose! Ron J.
Picture of young Ron Jones with one of HIS 2 B45s

se old topic at:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...=003671#000004
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #25
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by lighthead2toe:
Picture of young Ron Jones with one of HIS 2 B45s

se old topic at:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...=003671#000004
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote