banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
charlene

Default Lightfoot "CELEBRATION" shows this coming weekend..

Well my dream has come true. !!!!
CBC RADIO will be taping the Saturday night show for broadcast at a later date!
yay!!!!

AND

All three nights are sold out, nary a seat to be had! A waiting list for seats is a mile long..
An attempt to arrange a fourth night couldn't be pulled off due to the performers having other comittments.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
geodeticman.5

Default Re: Lightfoot "CELEBRATION" shows this coming weekend..

Hi Char, I hope I am not the only dummy that asks this Q, and no doubt if I corrolated your previous posts better, I would automatically know what this is about. Are you speaking of a Saturday Concert by Lightfoot ? And the fact that CBC is involved, and taping it to air another date, are we talking further of a landmark taking place- that of Lightfoot allowing a full recording of a live show to be broadcast, versus sold in DVD like Reno 2002 ? Sounds too good to be true, so I have to then guess we are speaking of a diffferent event than a Lightfoot concert. But a concert nonetheless due to the 'performers'.

Thanks in advance for the update to me.

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 01-18-2009 at 06:31 PM.
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
charlene

this is a RADIO (not TV as first posted) recording to be broadcast at a later date. It is of the performers involved in the Hugh's Room Lightfoot "Celebration" (tribute) shows on Frid.,Sat., and Sunday coming.
Lightfoot has attended a few of the shows but never performed. We'll have to wait and see how things go this weekend. I will be at the Sat., and Sun. shows. Jenney will be at the Sunday show.
At last there will be a recording of some sort...I've been after that Jory for years..I think he's afraid of me..
lol
who loves ya Jory?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Lightfoot has attended a few of the shows but never performed. We'll have to wait and see how things go this weekend. I will be at the Sat., and Sun. shows. Jenney will be at the Sunday show.
I'll betcha Lightfoot makes an appearance on Friday.

Seriously, is the demand for tickets to this year's show greater than previous ones ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
geodeticman.5

I see said the blind man to his wife who could not hear....... lol thanks Char

I re-read your first post, and wondered why I did not 'get it' the first time.

Then I saw you must have (I think) edited the first post from TV to radio.

OK- in any even I'm clear now... thanks
Old 01-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
charlene

tix for frid.and sat were sold out quite a while ago..
when i made sunday reservations a few days ago there was just two tables left for dinner. the place holds about 250 people..it's a tradition now and many, like me are returnees..
they've sold out every show every year as far as i know..there's walk-ins at the last minute..the place is always jammed to the rafters..standing room only..
hell - Gord had a backseat himself one year..lol
Old 01-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
lighthead2toe

It's very true. These shows are amazing and it's wonderful that the tradition is being carried on.
Hugh's Room is a jewell in the city of Toronto. If I was living back there I'd find a place and live in that area and make it my local. The stage is quite large and of course set up as the focal point in the room. They have a great food menu and a nice selection of beers, wines etc.
The last time I was there Jenny Whiteley was on the bill and she sang "Fine As Fine Can Be."
The atmosphere in the room is very comfortable and very open as far as chatting with the performers goes.
I thought Jenny stole the show with her rendition of that song and eventually got to have a chat with her and she gave me a copy of her CD "Hopetown" which went on to win a Juno Award.
JP Cormier was also there at that show and he did "Canadian Railroad Trilogy." He has a CD of all Lightfoot tunes and it is very well put together piece of work.
All the entertainers who make up this project are professional so they take it very seriously which I guess explains why the gig is sold out.
Well now we can look forward to hearing the tunes so my thanks go out to the folks who bring this to us and make it all happen.
Cheers, RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
Kenyon

I'll be at the Sunday show. Hope to see some of you there.
Kenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #9
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenyon View Post
I'll be at the Sunday show. Hope to see some of you there.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:25 PM   #10
Jenney

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
It's very true. These shows are amazing and it's wonderful that the tradition is being carried on.
Hugh's Room is a jewell in the city of Toronto. If I was living back there I'd find a place and live in that area and make it my local. .
That's exactly how I feel Ron. If I lived in Toronto, I'd make sure it was near Hugh's Room, and I'd be there for just about every show. They have some great entertainment there, and it's a friendly place. I wish we had something like it around here.

Can't wait! I've been to two years of these shows, but haven't been able to make it up there for a couple of years. Unless it snows somewhere along the drive, I'll be there for Sunday's show. I mean, what are the chances of snow in Upstate NY, or the Buffalo or Toronto area in January?
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:33 AM   #11
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Uh, Jenney, have you left yet? Not looking great for Sunday. (Not to mention that the temperatures have been below zero - Farenheit).
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
Jenney

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmagee View Post
Uh, Jenney, have you left yet? Not looking great for Sunday. (Not to mention that the temperatures have been below zero - Farenheit).
I leave tonight after work. I'll be driving up most of the night. Hopefully that will help me escape the snow on Sunday!
The temperature though can't be helped. Char promised she would try to warm it up some for me. The big concern now is power outages, as it looks like a lot of Toronto was in a black out last night!
It wouldn't be an adventure without some drama!
Old 01-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #13
charlene

Hugh's room was in the area of the blackout but not affected..one black south was tho and everything is fine now..flooding from a broken watermain (due to cold temps probably and OLD infrastructure!) in a transformer station caused the blackout.
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_31049.aspx

Show last night went very well according to Jory..!

THe deep freeze has been the same down thru the east coast so Jenney is used to the sub-zero weather..
It's warming up as we speak..LOLOL!

It's now 3F feeling like -9F with wind.
this aft will be 10F feeling like -6 with wind chill. Tonite and overnite will be 17F feeling like 3F - maybe an inch or two of snow in and around Toronto..

c ya late tonight Sparky..if not tomorrow fer sure! We LOVES the drama!
Old 01-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
youngstranger

Has Canadian TV never done a profile or biography of the man? Seems pretty odd if not, maybe he just doesn't want one.
youngstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:39 PM   #15
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstranger View Post
Has Canadian TV never done a profile or biography of the man? Seems pretty odd if not, maybe he just doesn't want one.
yep - there's been a few over the years..'67 and '68, 93 and 1998 amongst many other appearances in the u.s. and canada and England.

http://www.lightfoot.ca/tvappear.htm - tv appearances are listed here.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #16
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Char, where's Jenney? It's awfully white outside.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:26 PM   #17
charlene

Jenney? Jenney who?
Jenney is safe and sound at Chars house right now, heading home tomorrow (I'm using Chars computer right now. We had a great time, but it was a tough trip up here! Lots of snow through Buffalo through Toronto. Hopefully there won't be any for the trip home.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:32 PM   #18
lighthead2toe

This is excellent news to hear, and the words "safe and sound" are always most comforting.
I've done that Toronto, Buffalo drive in the winter and it is not always easy.
Char and Jenney are the very first "dedicated Lightfoot fans" that I was introduced to in person and it was there in Hugh's Room where we met, so they are special folks to me. They made me feel most comfortable and from there introduced me to a host of others and from there we all connected. The seed was sewn and on it continues to bloom.
Safe home Sparky and we'll see you hopefully at the next gig. RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:34 AM   #19
charlene

It's ME, Char!
lol
well it's been a wonderful few days for so many reasons..Sparky is off to bed for her long drive back home tomorrow, Toronto is a winter wonderland and I got my Gord fix in so many ways this past weekend..

The Man was there on Saturday night, he came, he saw, he listened and then he sang as the snow was falling on Toronto..

After listening to several performers The Man sauntered on up for 250 of us and alone on stage with Jory's guitar he sang A Song For A Winter's Night..it was sweet and silent and sublime... oh my it warmed us to the bone and he seemed to revel in the warmth he shared that winter's night.
I fell in love with winter..

more later..
so much more..

the saturday show WITH Gord will be broadcast on March 31 by CBC radio2..listening is available on on-line I believe..more details to come..

here's a bit of what David Newland (emcee at the trib shows and originator of 70th birthday wishes at CANOE.ca and one of my sweet boys..)

http://www.davidnewland.com/2009/01/voice-of-gord.html
Old 01-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #20
charlene

I'm still processing the last few days..!!!!!!!!!
Sparky left at 7:30 this morning..she's on the road again!
Kenyon was at Hugh's on Sunday too and it was wonderful to see him.
I've got my notes/pics and will start deciphering everything asap..
Here's a teaser..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10122.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	2426  
Old 01-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #21
Jenney

I have to wait for Char to post to help my memory along with who sang what! I just got home a short time ago, after a blessedly uneventfull ride home. I watched the sun rise over a frozen Lake Ontario, and watched it set from my kitchen window. A bit of snow, but mostly sunlight over sparkling snow. I even got to see a horse drawn sleigh dancing over a field for awhile beside the highway!
The show was wonderful, well worth the trip. I got to hear a few old favorites, and was exposed to some talent I was unaware of, but will follow now. The thing I like best about the tribute shows, besides hearing new people, is to hear the songs I love done with a different treatment. Sometimes I feel like I become slightly immune to the lyrics, after hearing them for so many years the same way. That's part of the beauty of going to GL concerts, and of hearing these shows. I hear the lyrics differently with a different personality behind it. I'm anxious for everyone to hear Rick Fines do Boss Man, as it is so different, yet so wonderful. I remember listening harder than I have for years to Summer Side of Life (brain death over who sang it though!), and thinking about the words even more.
There's much more I could say, but will have to wait till I get some more rest, and till Char reminds me who sang what!
It was terrific to see Kenyon again too! Ron, I missed seeing you there sitting at the bar!
Old 01-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #22
charlene

yep Ron was missed as were Dan and Nanci..
there's always next January!