banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
KHester

Default Mary Travers Death

Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary lost her long battle with leukemia. She passed away in Danbury, Conn. at age 72.
Like all of us, I remember the PP&M, and what they were to folk music. Including being a big helping voice in getting the music of Lightfoot exposed to the public with their versions of Early Morning Rain and That's What You Get For Loving Me.

Mary Will be Missed..

Kevin
Old 09-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
Jenney

Default Re: Mary Travers Death

I just heard this on CNN. So sad. She had such a beautiful voice. I saw them a number of times in concert, and she came into my booth once at an antique show. A lovely, gracious, woman who will be missed.
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
seafarer62

PP & M were in Minneapolis last October at Orchestra Hall. My wife Debbie and I thoroughly enjoyed the concert. Mary was in a wheelchair during the concert. When she was moved onto and off stage, stagehands placed a portable wall on casters to shield the audience from viewing the wheelchair moving. Mary's vocals were surprisingly strong for her condition. She was optimistic at that time that the leukemia had been put into remission.

I had seen them nearly every time they were in the Twin Cities the past 25 years or so. Their harmonies were timeless. They did much to launch Bob Dylan and Gordon Lightfoot with their own careers.

Sympathies to Peter, Paul and all the fans- we've lost a pioneer and legend.

John- Minnesota
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
youngstranger

That's a real pity. I discovered Lightfoot through PP & M , so, without them I wouldn't have his great music introduced to me aswell.

They were a great group in their own right and also popularisers of some great artists and folk music.
youngstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
bjm7777

I had posted a couple of thoughts about PP&M on another discussion here at Corfid a couple of weeks ago. I have always like Mary Travers' voice. She did such a terrific job on "Leavin' On a Jet Plane". My mother was big fan of the folk scene in the '60's and PP&M records were part of what the record player always seemed to have playing in our home.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
jj

there's a thread in small talk too (but sure belongs here as gord related also)...for PPM fans, i'd recommend that BBC live concert, so crystal clear...there have been many harmony trios and duos out of the USA...i can only think of ian and sylvia from canada...ok, sharon lois and bram too

here's the most recent footage i could find....glad you met her, jenney!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDC-d...eature=related
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
timetraveler

What saddens me the most about her passing is that with her passing, another piece of history, both musically & socially, is gone. Artists like her are one of the many connections we all have with our past. Like many of you, I grew up listening to Peter, Paul & Mary, and loved it. One of my other favourite tunes that they did was a tune called Lemon Tree. I also enjoyed their stirring rendition of the Pete Seeger tune If I Had A Hammer. We're gonna miss her something terrible.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveler View Post
What saddens me the most about her passing is that with her passing, another piece of history, both musically & socially, is gone. Artists like her are one of the many connections we all have with our past(
timetraveller, i think your sentiments really hit home to most and are well articulated...while i can't say i'm of the If I Had A Hammer generation or a guy who ever got fueled over protest tunes, it's important that various artists spoke for the masses in those turbulent times...actually, i suppose they've never really left us, just many of the artists...i've not heard anything of a public memorial
Old 09-20-2009, 08:01 AM   #9
jj

i'd been looking for an interview of some sort but only found this tidbit....ahh, puff puff puff away on tv, those were the days

YouTube - Flashback: Peter, Paul and Mary in Sydney