banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-08-2000, 03:38 PM   #1
Frank v

Dear all,
Aside from the country you are already living in,which other country in the world would you choose to live in?

Frank.
Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2000, 04:28 PM   #2
sundownbuff

First choice for me is Canada, right next door to Gordon Lightfoot. My next choice would be Scotland, this is where my mother was born and England as I have always been fascinated with the royal family.
sundownbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2000, 07:37 PM   #3
Janice

We lived in Central America (Panama) when I was younger and traveled to many countries in Central and South America on vacations. Even though we never visited this country, Argentina is where I think I would like to be. I have no reason to feel this way - no heritage, or connection of any sort. But people I know who have been, say that the scenic beauty is breathtaking and the people are warm and friendly.

Janice
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2000, 09:41 PM   #4
Mary Ann

Frank,

Austrailia. Maybe New Zealand. But only for a limited time. I'd want to be back in the USA, ASAP!

Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2000, 07:50 PM   #5
midnightmisty

To quote the Moody Blues on this one:

"ENG-l-u-n-d!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

England, England and England ONLY. I don't care where in England or under what circumstances. It simply must be England.
I've been this way since I was 5 years old. There has been no dealing with me ever since. I wanna make tracks for an English Sunset and that, as they say, is THAT!

midnightmisty
midnightmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:13 AM   #6
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

To quote my friend B "just bringing this up to the top".

I'd probably go with Switzerland or Italy, but that's today.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
joveski

England
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #8
SilverHeels

Wise choice, J.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:54 PM   #9
Yuri

Difficult Question!!! A country chosen for it's shear beauty or for it's human rights and politics?

Let's not open that kettle of fish as beauty and atrocities can be found within any border.

In spite of my name, I was born in Canada of Latvian parents, both war refugees entering separately through Pier 21 in Halifax. I may have been a proud American as many of you are, however for some obscure bureaucratic reason my dad could not get in through Ellis Island and planted his new roots here in Canada.

I got even with the U.S. bureaucracy as while on a high school trip to Quebec City in May of 1971 I met and eventually married a wonderful girl from Boston Massachusetts.

http://ca.geocities.com/amatniek@rog.../ourstory.html

Sadly, some Canadians (separatists from the province of Quebec) want to separate from the rest of Canada as they already view Quebec as a distinct nation. To me it is analagous to acquiring the 'Mona Lisa' but using an x-acto knife to cut out the 'smile' as it is what is the most important part of the masterpiece. They'll keep all the assets but the remainder of Canada can keep the debt.

If I were so inclined, I would see the norhern or arctic expanse of Canada as it's own land. Nothing can equal that desolation, that ruggedness, that beauty! Unforgiving nature! If I were young and single, that is where I would be - poking around Baffin or Elsemere Islands in some capacity.

Getting around to the question, if not Canada, then the U.S. Other than those nations I would probably gravitate to one of the Scandinavian countries.

Although I love Lightfoot, I listen to 'Mozart' to 'The Subways'. Likewise, I could list off many more countries that I would love to experience "first hand" and my life would be just that much less rich by omitting them as possibilities.

Finally, those of you who have managed to survive reading my posts now must know that I am damn #@&^^$ opinionated about everything so never confuse me by asking a simple question or requesting a "yes or no"!

Met many a Corfidian from various countries and I am richer for having known all of them.

Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:34 PM   #10
catmanron

Great Choice Mary Anne, I can tell you if you came to Australia, you would not want to go home ( as long as you bring all your family and friends with you ). Yuri, add us to your list you would fit right in here.

As for me, of course I would choose Canada, it's just like home with "a high chill factor".

Keep Smiling.. Ron
catmanron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #11
Yuri

Ron,

Australia is definitely high on my list!!!
Being a "Commonwealth" country as Canada is, we hold many of the same values and ideals.

I love the desolate isolation of Northern Canada. In Australia you would find me exploring the 'outback' by some billabong or checking out Ayer's Rock. Beautiful Country!

Your musical exports such as 'Midnight Oil', 'AC/DC', 'INXS' and 'Men At Work' have thrilled many of us over the years.

Paul Hogan made the world laugh. Sadly, we all mourned the premature death of the "highly caffinated" Steve Irwin. How he educated the world, showing us the beauty in creatures many of us feared.

Although Australia's capital is Canberra, I fell in love with Sydney through coverage of your 2000 Olympic Games. In my opinion, the best Olympic presentation I can remember delivered by a country of most gracious hosts.

Yes, Australia is certainly high on my list!

Cheers mate!

Yuri
Old 11-19-2006, 09:31 PM   #12
catmanron

Well done Yuri, " your in !!!"..

But take care by those billabongs, there are some mean animals with big teeth live in there, ( not just the crocodiles ), and of course the Dingos at Ayres Rock are a problem.

Even us Melbournians think Sydney did a great job with the Olympics, and after 70 years they finally found out what their bridge is good for, (letting off pyrotechnics ). Here in Melbourne this week we are celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Olympics being held in our City in 1956.

Speeking of good Aussie Singer / Songwriters if you have a chance, have a listen to Paul Kelly, all Lightheads would certainly like his style.

All the best.

Keep Smiling.. Ron.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:01 PM   #13
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by catmanron:

Speeking of good Aussie Singer / Songwriters if you have a chance, have a listen to Paul Kelly, all Lightheads would certainly like his style.

He's more than just good in my book. "Deeper Water" is a masterpiece, followed closely by "Wanted Man", "Under The Sun", or whatever. I've always wondered why he has never made it big in the U.S.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:34 PM   #14
Yuri

Ron (catmanron) & Ron (RMD),

My curiosity has been piqued. I'll check with
http://www.amazon.ca and see if I can order a copy.
Many thanks for the tip!

Yuri
Old 11-20-2006, 01:15 AM   #15
catmanron

Yuri, in this instance two rons do make a right, this is the Paul Kelly web site, www.paulkelly.com.au, I see from it he was in Canada and USA in August this year, you probably had other things on your mind at that time Yuri.

Good luck with Amazon, if not I can help you.

All the best, keep smiling Ron.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #16
charlene

Hey Yuri - I'll go with you!!!
It's been a dream of mine since I was 16 to see Australia...and I read recently that the good folks down under choose Toronto to visit as a number one spot when they travel off shore!
Oh what I'd give to hear an Aussie accent...got close on Saturday with Jenney - a fabulous booth at the St. Lawrence Market with sea shells and jewellery from New Zealand....bought meself a pair of earrings just to listen to the lady speak!
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:55 PM   #17
catmanron

Ahhhhhhh !!!!!... we don't sound like them, we speak English !!!.

Last year when we were in New Zealand, on the west coast of the south island, I passed a group of teenagers talking and couldn't understand a word they said, ( I admit I normally don't understand teenagers, but I usually make out a word or two..lol )

Keep Smiling.. Ron.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:19 PM   #18
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Jamaica
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:28 AM   #19
Jennifer

Now thats hard to give one answer. I would love to live somewhere beautiful like:

Germany. Somewhere close to Rothenburg so I could take bike/hike trips.

Rome. For it's rich history and architecture.

Santorini, Greece: sheer, magical beauty by the sea!
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote