banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #1
Restless

http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/shared...sNav=nr&id=666

CBC Television News Guilty of Anti-American Bias Says New Study

Release Date: June 7, 2005

Calgary, AB - The CBC’s television news coverage of the United States is consistently marked by emotional criticism, rather than a rational consideration of US policy based on Canadian national interests, according to The Canadian released today by The Fraser Institute.

This anti-American bias at the CBC is the consequence of a “garrison mentality” that has systematically informed the broadcaster’s coverage of the US. Garrison mentality was a term coined by Canadian literary critic, Northrop Frye. He used it to describe a uniquely Canadian tendency reflected in our early literature, a tendency, as he put it, to “huddle together, stiffening our meager cultural defenses and projecting all our hostilities outward.”

“The anti-Americanism of the CBC, we argue, is a faithful reflection of the garrison mentality evoked by Frye,” said Professor Barry Cooper, co-author of the paper and managing director of the Institute’s Alberta Policy Research Centre. “This mythical and symbolic anti-Americanism typifies a broad view of the world disproportionately maintained and believed in by Canadians living in the Loyalist heartland of southern Ontario.”

The authors examine the kind of anti-American views expressed in one major Canadian news outlet. They attempt to determine whether views critical of the United States reflect chiefly a rational criticism of the United States based on reasonable differences in interests with respect to policy questions or whether they are more a reflection of the emotional anxieties of the garrison mentality.

“The former is simply an ordinary disagreement between friends; the latter reflects more the limitations of Canadians than it does the defects of our neighbours,” said Professor Lydia Miljan, co-author and Senior Fellow at The Fraser Institute.

To gauge the extent of anti-American sentiment on CBC, one year’s coverage of the Corporation’s flagship news program, The National, for 2002 was examined. The authors chose 2002 because it followed the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon, but was prior to the US invasion of Iraq.

In total there were 2,383 statements inside the 225 stories that referred to America or the United States on CBC in 2002. As with most news coverage, the largest number of statements was neutral; they constituted 49.1 percent of the attention. Thirty-four percent of the attention to America or the United States was negative, over double the 15.4 percent positive descriptors. Only 1.6 percent of the statements were considered ambiguous.

The main issue, constituting 27 percent of the coverage, was relations between Canada and the United States. Within this category 41 percent of statements were neutral. Of the remainder, statements were over twice as likely to be negative as positive regarding Canada/US relations (39 percent versus 18.9 percent).

Terrorism was the second most-often cited issue area where CBC mentioned America, at 10.8 percent. Here the negative comments overwhelmed positive evaluations by a 9-to-1 margin (37.6 percent and 3.1 percent, respectively). Neutral statements, however, constituted 58.1 percent of the total coverage, which somewhat restored balance insofar as even a factual report on terrorist activity is usually seen to be a negative reflection on terrorism.

The third most mentioned American issue on CBC in 2002 was build-up to the war in Iraq. At 10.5 percent, this topic was covered almost as extensively as terrorism, which received 10.8 percent of the CBC’s attention. The negative evaluations of the American policy in Iraq were only slightly lower than on terrorism, comprising an 8-in-10 negative-to-positive ratio, compared to 9 in 10 for terrorism.

In total, despite the relative short period of time after the 9/11 attacks, the CBC’s opinion statements of America during 2002 were overwhelmingly critical of American policy, American actions, and American purposes.

“CBC has certainly claimed an important agenda-setting role for itself. To the extent it deserves the reputation it covets, the corporation is at least partly responsible for enhancing and sustaining anti-Americanism in Canada following the 2001 terrorist attacks. CBC, in short, helped turn the joint outrage of Canada and the United States at the terrorists into mistrust and animosity between the two neighbours,” Cooper concluded.

Established in 1974, The Fraser Institute is an independent public policy organization with offices in Vancouver, Calgary, and Toronto.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
Minstrel of the Dusk

That's a very dodgy bit of nonsense, as this blog entry explains.
Minstrel of the Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:22 PM   #3
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Gotta agree with you there, Minstrel.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 02:46 PM   #4
DJ in MJ

This is not a political commentary; I'm just trying to point out some common sense.

I haven't watched the CBC for six years (cos I haven't lived in Canada for the last six years!) but in my previous 35 years of viewership the CBC has always leaned to the left when it's not obligated to sit on the fence.

The Fraser Institute's own admitted beliefs of competitive markets, lower taxes, and less regulation puts them firmly on the political right.

Hence the difference of opinion between the FI and the CBC.

I have rarely questioned the integrity of CBC news. Disagreed occasionally, yes. But I always try to consider all points of view, regardless of the source. That's how I learn.
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #5
hkusam

Relax folks, take a deep breath, and consider the source. Further to this CBC rant:
The Fraser Institute publishes the test "scores" and ranks Canadian schools yearly...pitting the most poverty stricken neighbourhood in Canada against the affluence of private schools. The Institute, then, heralds the predictable results as reason to condemn the wastage of money in public education.
Such is an example of their honorable service to Canada!
(By the way DJB, you cannot learn anything helpful from the Fraser Institute. They slipped off the far, far, right hand edge of the earth many years ago.)
hkusam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 03:55 PM   #6
hkusam

Relax folks, take a deep breath, and consider the source. Further to this CBC rant:
The Fraser Institute publishes the test "scores" and ranks Canadian schools yearly...pitting the most poverty stricken neighbourhood in Canada against the affluence of private schools. The Institute, then, heralds the predictable results as reason to condemn the wastage of money in public education.
Such is an example of their honorable service to Canada!
(By the way DJB, you cannot learn anything helpful from the Fraser Institute. They slipped off the far, far, right hand edge of the earth many years ago.)
hkusam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:50 PM   #7
charlene

I'd like to know what some of the quotes are and in what context they were said.
I watch and listen to CBC, BCB Newsworld TV and CBC radio on a regular basis and have for my whole life. I am a news junkie and get my info from a multitude of resources, CBC being but one. As 'djb' says "that's how I learn. Fraser Institute loves to stir the pot....

Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:24 PM   #8
Auburn Annie

Makes me yearn for the days when national newscasts ran for 15 minutes in the evening - and you got more substantive news in those 15 minutes than you do in any given hour of what's broadcast today. It seems the more expanded the coverage (including 24/7 on television and the internet) the less comprehensive, detailed analysis there is. This includes print journalism. I can still remember thinking when USA Today came out that there goes the newspaper. It's all sizzle and no steak today (or as they say in Texas, all hat and no cowboy.)
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 03:43 AM   #9
The Rez

CBC?

Cowboy Burger Cookoff?

The one in Elko, Nevada?

Hey, even Charlie Daniels enters that one!

The Rez

. . . ain't that America
[Psalm 139:13]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 06:02 PM   #10
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation... right, Char?
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #11
charlene

yeppers! Can. Broadcast.Corp.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:44 AM   #12
The Rez

Firstly, may I please appologize for my flippant joke about the Cowboy Burger Cookoff (CBC.) I'm just not a political person, and I took it too far.

It was totally out of place. Sorry.

Secondly, I've played a gang of gigs in Canada and always been treated wonderfully. My middle son lives in Bellingham, WA, so when I pass thru we always smuggle in some 222s back to the US. (I'll deny saying that.)

I hear a lot of talking heads here talking trash, too. I put Neil Young on the box - LOUD!

If it weren't for a Canadian TV guy I worked for here in LA some 20yrs ago, I'd have never gotten to know Gord and others. So, I'm a little more than protective of Canada than most folks.

I hate friction between Canada and the US of A. but it ain't anybody I know - especially the musicians. Them that ain't wouldn't be cool anywhere, anyway.

I sorta like Paul Simon's little off the cuff thing in a tune of his: Problems? Work 'em out!

Now, if somebody up there would just intoduce me to Stompin' Tom.

The Rez

. . . we stand on guard for thee
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 09:52 AM   #13
DJ in MJ

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:
I am a news junkie and get my info from a multitude of resources, CBC being but one. As 'djb' says "that's how I learn. Fraser Institute loves to stir the pot....
Exactly my point, Char. Thank you.

It's like a babes and fools sort of thing. I still listen, and even the most obnoxious of windbags (pick your fave) still teach me something. If you separate the wheat from the chaff, and be patient, you'll form a point of view after considering all perspectives.

-- David
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote