banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
charlene

Default Massey Hall - 2014

Massey Hall 2014 date change---again.

Wed.Nov.26, Thurs.Nov.27, Frid.Nov.28 and Frid.Nov.29, 2014.

U.S. Thanksgiving is Nov.27..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
niffer

Default Re: Massey Hall - 2014

This means I may have made my last pilgrimage to Massey Hall
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post

wonder if that's strategic or a blunder
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
charlene

Seems to be a done deal.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Melissa

I'm amazed. I would think that would certainly curtail a lot of people's plans to go. But there very well may have been scheduling issues that made it impossible to do it any other time in November. As much as I love Thanksgiving and that wonderful 4-day holiday weekend, I'll pass it up in favor of another Massey adventure. But hey, that's me.

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
charlene

It may be the construction that Massey will undergo - taking off the back wall to build a better green room/change rooms and finally a loading area so that equipment doesn't have to go thru the big red front doors and up the centre aisle onto the stage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Massey Hall - photo from stage.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	5792   Click image for larger version

Name:	1591587034_655a4afb3e_o[1].jpg
Views:	519
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	5793  
Old 02-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:

Hrrmph
IF that is really true there will be many from down here (us three included) who will not be attending
BUT But bit...
Today Wayne's 2014 page still shows the more logical April dates
For at least 13 years Gord has been at Massey at 18 month intervals so as I believe we were there for his 74th only a few months ago a long 2 year gap because of building works seems unlikely and certainly unwelcome.
Time to get emailed confirmation from Bernie methinx!! or do you Char already have it????
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
charlene

As I said...as of Feb.14,2013 it's a done deal.

It was going to be 2 years from Massey Nov.2012 making it Nov.2014, then it was May 2014, then it was 3 nites in April 2014 and now it is what it is. Nov.26,27,28,29, 2014
Old 02-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
johnfowles

Quote:
As I said...as of Feb.14,2013 it's a done deal.

It was going to be 2 years from Massey Nov.2012 making it Nov.2014, then it was May 2014, then it was 3 nites in April 2014 and now it is what it is. Nov.26,27,28,29, 2014

OK OK OK
I was just double checking Ma'am and talking turkey see
http://english.stackexchange.com/que...we-talk-turkey
I do not of course know what percentage of tickets sold for each Lightfoot Massey Hall season end up being paid for in US dollars but I expect it is significantly high particularly amongst those fans who post on corfid and already there are four or five who have directly or indirectly expressed their regrets at not being able to attend due to the conflict with their Thanksgiving jollifications, Perhaps in the year after Gord has taken care of his US fans by performing down here more than usual in a year he does not care of they come to Toronto in 2014 or not or perhaps there will be a greater concentration on getting Canadians to buy tickets We just need to be sure that Gord and Bernie fully realise the implications.

g

Last edited by johnfowles; 02-16-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
charlene

Do you realise that the whole year of 2013 is the 50th anniversary "Carefree Highway" tour and only TWO dates are in Canada?

All others are in the U.S. That gives U.S. fans a lot of dates to see him in many, many states and venues over the year and probably many that are close to Toronto. THose folks who might see him near home may not have come to Massey anyway.

Implications?? Some empty seats??
The few hundred (?) seats that may have held U.S. bums will now have to be filled....or not.

While the greater ratio of folks here are from the U.S. that does not mean that the same ratio is true @ Massey.. I'm sure that the powers that be know what they're doing and they looked at the calendar before making a decision.

I already know that several of the usual folks who come to the Massey shows have chosen to be here in November 2014.

As of now those are the dates...I know where I'll be those 4 cold November nights in 2014...
Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
Melissa

I think we had our first hint that it might be Nov., 2014, instead of spring, 2014, in the Dennis Miller interview. Dennis asked Gord about playing at Massey and Gord's response was that he plays Massey "about every year and a half to two years, thereabouts - I like to keep 'em guessing a little bit, you know?"
When I heard that, and also knew about the Massey renovations, I couldn't help but think that it might be November. Sorry that it's Thanksgiving week, but, hey, I can eat turkey the week before or the week after - I can only see Gord at Massey when he says he's gonna be there!

Melissa
Old 02-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #12
niffer

Having the Massey shows on the American Thanksgiving weekend may not be ideal, but it isn't an insurmountable problem.

For me, the bigger problem is how nasty the weather can be in this part of the world in late November. I have made two Massey trips in November, and each time the weather was surprisingly good. But those trips were 2 or 3 weeks earlier in the month, which can make a huge difference.

I was looking forward to making the pilgrimage in April 2014. Our trip there in May 2011 was so much fun. The weather was great, and we got to take in a Jays game along with two Lightfoot shows.

It had always been a dream of mine to see Gordon in his home country, at his "home" concert hall. I have now had that privilege four times, and have gotten to see friends and meet new ones in the process. So I'm not going to wallow in self-pity...at least not yet

Thanksgiving or not, I'm sure the seats will be filled and the shows will be wonderful, as always.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #13
Melissa

What SHE said!

Melissa
Old 02-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
KHester

Char,

You must have had a bad day with your use of the term U.S. bums. I'm sure many of us in the US would love to be up there to see Gord at Massey, I for one would love to do it, but probably never will. People have schedules and family prioriies and I'm sure the scheduling does provide a real issuse for many. Regardless I'm sure all wish every concert has just the one empty seat that we can fill.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
charlene

I'm not sure what you mean in regards to my words, "U.S. bums" and me having a bad day.
"Bums in the seats" is just another way of saying "paying audience members" at a concert or theatre production/sports event. No derogatory intent at all.

I know about schedules and priorities/finances just like anyone else regarding going to any event/concert, not just Lightfoot. Those are the choices we have to make and I understand that these Massey dates might be an issue for fans everywhere for a myriad of reasons.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #16
Sydney Steve

One of the more entertaining misunderstandings; Still chortling over that one.
I had never until then considered the term "bums on seats" in any other than the intended way but this is pretty damn funny. It's taken on a whole new meaning for me ...

Come to think of it there are quite a few bums on seats here at my workplace but in the misunderstood sense !!! ...lol.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:09 AM   #17
Melissa

Um, surely I'm not the only one who realizes that "bum" is a euphemism for "rear end" or "butt" - as in, "Hey, sit your bum down right there!" I'm sure that what Char meant by "seats filled with U. S. bums" (or however it was phrased) was a reference to concert seats holding the butts of those of us from the U.S.! I didn't take that as a put down at all! I didn't take it to mean "a bum" like "a bum in the street." A Massey seat holding the butt of an American citizen or a Canadian citizen is still a Massey seat, eh? I'm pretty sure my "bum" has been in lots of Massey seats also once occupied by Canadian "bums." And, hopefully, will be again.
(unless, of course, I'm misunderstanding this whole thing, in which case, um, never mind)

Melissa
Old 02-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #18
KHester

Ah! Just like America and England, two countries seperated by a common language.... In the states when you hear the term bum, the first thing that usually comes to my mind is of a certain type of person and not of slang for a portion of a person's anatomy.
I guess more people understood you than if you stated ....
Certain citizens of the North American Continent having placed, or placing their glutteus maximus in a structure offering horizontal and vertical support for the afformentioned part
Old 02-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #19
charlene

I might add...
regardless of what anyone thought the word meant, surely people who know me here at corfid or personally, know I would not use it in a hurtful way and take a moment to see the context in which the word was used. We weren't talking about homeless people, hobos or crappy ballplayers - we were talking about filling seats in a concert hall.
And what fills those seats regardless of nationality?
Bums.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #20
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Steve View Post
One of the more entertaining misunderstandings; Still chortling over that one.
I had never until then considered the term "bums on seats" in any other than the intended way but this is pretty damn funny. It's taken on a whole new meaning for me ...
OK I'll shut up now and be content to have my bum on a seat in New Jersey come Thanksgiving 2014 .
But I could not resist doing a Google image search for the offending phrase ands once again I found that it is simply amazing what you can find on YouTube because thanks to Google I found an Australian piece about the Adelaide Fringe offerig some unexpected humour
that should enlighten the uneducated Sydney Hooligan at
http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/...bums-on-seats/
which has a somewhat rude embedded TouTube video which as they explain
"It’s a commitment to making sure there are bums on seats for the many shows held between February 22 and March 16. And so we have a viral ‘bum chase’ through the streets and shops of Adelaide."

Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #21
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Wow - another great corfid conversation... when I heard US bums I thought y'all were talking about me (just kidding but I couldn't resist). Anyway try and think of all the silver linings such as: no turkey to cook, no house to clean, no relatives snoring on your couches 15 minutes after dinner is done, etc.

And I'm sure if there were a few of us we could find a place to throw a turkey on the table with some trimmings if we asked politely.

Not sure how the schedule looks that far out but it's never too early to consider the possibilities.

As the old song says:

You've got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
Latch on to the affirmative
But don't mess with mister inbetween

Peace,
Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote