banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Bill

Default Cool old video

Not sure who is posting the early Gord videos, thanks!

http://youtu.be/WpkATS6mjbc.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J
Default Re: Cool old video

that link took me to this link. there is no video, just a montage, but OMG, the voice on this man just melts through my soul. this was the first Lightfoot song I ever heard and it hooked me.

Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
Bill

Dunno. Copied from YouTube. It was Gord in about 66 doing "For Lovin'Me".
Old 08-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
charlene

March 2011 discussion - http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...highlight=1972

Full concert recorded in late 1971 and shown on BBC TV in spring 1972 I believe - part 1 - part 2 -
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
Bill

The one. Saw was from about 66. He had on a tan suit and short hair. Brightly lit set.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
charlene

For Lovin' Me -
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The one. Saw was from about 66. He had on a tan suit and short hair. Brightly lit set.
OK just to infuse some minor historical accuracy, Bill guessed at 1966, whoever uploaded the video stated 1967, but I recalled a video of another song from the same occasion and eventually found the "preview" of Saturday Clothes that was performed by Gord Rick and Red on the
Music Scene program on December 22 1969 according to the DVD details on
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Music...elease/2488253
That DVD is publicised on Val's web site
I knew I had watched it somewhere and found it on Youtube

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
OK just to infuse some m[SIZE=3]inor historical accuracy, Bill guessed at 1966, whoever uploaded the video stated 1967]
hey jf... yeah, any video before 1969 wouldnt have had Haynes playing, eh
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
Bill

Good points. I'm just glad to see them. And it's makes me a bit sad too...I had that exact model B45-12-N I sold it after surgery for a cyst on my hand that made playing it difficult. But geez, I sure want it back. It cost $600 in Nashville in 1983.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Bill

Would love to see a documentary culling all this stuff. I do doc video, but it would take deep deep pockets to get all that material cleared for copyright. But wonderful to experience now what I never could then!
Old 08-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #11
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

If you have tried to watch any of the videos above recently and failed it's evidently not you it is a problem at youtube see the recent comments at:-
http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/youtube.com.html
which has been checking for many minutes now without any result or report despite it saying that
"Youtube Server is up. Last checked 16 secs ago."
A comment 33 minutes ago
"Really YouTube?? You can"t find a geek during GEEK WEEK to do something with your server? Two thumbs WAY down"

after claiming erroneously
"Youtube.com is UP and reachable.The website is probably down just for you..."
it now adds the rider
"Possible Service Disruption : Our test passed without any errors however 9 users have reported problems in the last few hours. Please check comments section for details."

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 08-09-2013 at 01:14 AM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
lighthead2toe

Thanks so much for posting this guys.

I find it's always an inspirational force to watch these videos when I'm about to approach a "close encounter of the Lightfoot kind."

This is kind of weird but when I was tuning the "D" string on my old Yamaha the string broke through and actually split the "nut" and went completely through it. I relate it to the weird way I have of tuning though. And of course, it's not a "Martin' or "Gibson" either.

A tad shocked at first but then a smile as it will give an opportunity to visit with my friend, John Laroque, luthier for the master himself, Gordon Lightfoot.

John says "sure Ron, just bring it in next Tuesday and just leave it with me for a day or so and we'll take care of it for you. Very nice man.

John's store, "Ring Music" just happens to be located very close to "City Place Park" where I've been invited to perform at a farmer's market at 3PM that same day. Lots of "Gord fans" live there in that downtown community so it's a "win win."

So sorry to hear that story Bill of the cyst on your hand which prompted you to have to sell your "B45." I would be heartbroken should I ever have to encounter such an ordeal.

Best to everyone and hope your "Summertime Dream" lives on.

RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #13
jj

hi ron ... hey, so there is a farmer's market on a Tuesday, eh...is your schedule online?
Old 08-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Would love to see a documentary culling all this stuff. I do doc video, but it would take deep deep pockets to get all that material cleared for copyright
oh yeah, i posted results of "Gordon Lightfoot" archival search (from just CBC alone) some time ago as we went over the many tidbits of footage described...some i havent seen still...available to indy producers at a cost

https://archivesales.cbc.ca/content/...d=stoadvsearch

a good percentage of the 24 pages of results are Gord interviews and crisp live performance footage...

someone created a 3-6 hour consolidated DVD (low quality compression and burn) of this sort of thing but generally poor quality sources (vhs dubs of dubs)...it even had full pirating of the Reno concert
Old 08-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
jj

this is a the old thread attempting to consolidate youtube uploads (as at 2009) but as anticipated, many of the links are now dead...for example, the Music Scene 'For Lovin Me' link was retracted so am glad someone has re-uploaded

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...t=consolidated

after the BBC 1971 Live re-surfaced, my yearning for 'more Gord' was satisfied

although the 1967 Wherefore & Why, and 1973 Soundstage Live video still elude

hey, Lisa do you know what year/venue that nice audio of The Last Time is from?
Old 08-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
lighthead2toe

Wow!

I'm just wallowing in all this fantastic stuff. Can't thank everyone enough as I would have no idea how to approach putting up anything on the internet. Tried a few times but ended in frustration. Guess I'm too old to hear new chimes.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #17
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
hi ron ... hey, so there is a farmer's market on a Tuesday, eh...is your schedule online?
Don't have much online these days JJ other than a "My Space" site which is under perpetual construction.

Things are moving along quite well for me though now that I'm back living in Toronto. Really can't complain about anything.

The afternoon farmers markets are the ones I try and get booked on mainly because my "pipes" seem to open wide till later in the afternoon.
Morning voice doesn't serve me well.

Farmers markets are very popular venues and the fact that they prefer easy listening tunes gives me the opportunity to play lots of Gord.
Good thing is because of their gain in popularity they are springing up pretty much all over the country and in big cities as well.
Lots of great organic food choices together with all the seasonal produce brought in by local farmers is a huge draw. These folks are very dedicated and they work very hard but they all say "we love the work!" Now doesn't that sound familiar?

This week I have "City Place Market" on Tuesday and on Thursday the "East Lynn Market."

We need at least one day off between markets as they usually run four hours and sometimes that can be taxing on the fingers. Good thing is the way John Laroque has my guitars set the fingers seem to "weather the storm."
Old 08-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #18
Borderstone

To Lisa J. ...

I've always said,that Gordon looks best with those darer clothes and his hair long & no moustache or beard.

I don't think there's any look before or since that could make him apear er ,than he does in that BBC concert. (Would love to have THAT on DVD! )