banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-06-2004, 01:50 AM   #1
JOHN

Now i'm sure some of you 'in the know ppl' are going to rip my ass. But I don't care. I feel that both Gordon and Jimmy are two of the greatest songwriters of our time. Hey look past the damn cheesburger song and look at some of the ballads Mr Buffett has written. They are similiar in the fact that JB writes about the ocean and sailing and Gord has written about trains and lakes. As far as Mr Haggard tell me that he and Gord are not the ultimate poets of our or your generation?
JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:50 AM   #2
pirateNC

Now i'm sure some of you 'in the know ppl' are going to rip my ass. But I don't care. I feel that both Gordon and Jimmy are two of the greatest songwriters of our time. Hey look past the damn cheesburger song and look at some of the ballads Mr Buffett has written. They are similiar in the fact that JB writes about the ocean and sailing and Gord has written about trains and lakes. As far as Mr Haggard tell me that he and Gord are not the ultimate poets of our or your generation?
pirateNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 06:48 AM   #3
Janice

quote:Originally posted by pirateNC:

To some degree, you're preaching to the choir. There are several Buffett fans here - I'm one of them. I agree with you that his ballads are wonderful, but I must admit that I could live a full and happy life never hearing Margaritaville again I also like the Hagg. One of my favorites of his is a song that I don't think was ever released as a single - If You Hated Me. There used to be a couple of other folks who enjoyed Haggard, but I haven't seen them around in a while.
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:02 AM   #4
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I like all three of them, but your list isn't complete until you include Kris Kristofferson.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:14 PM   #5
stationmaster

You might have to throw Willie into that mix. He wouldn't want to be left out!
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 03:03 PM   #6
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by stationmaster:
You might have to throw Willie into that mix. He wouldn't want to be left out!

Willie as a writer, yes, but as a singer / guitarist, no. I used to like him, but in the last five years he sings everything with way too much syncopation. Everything starts on the off beat and it throws the natural rhythm of the song off. I honestly don't know how anyone can sing along with him without going crazy.
I watched his memorial day concert and was quite disappointed. It would have been much better had Willie decided to let the other people do the singing. I couldn't even hear Dylan singing, and would have much preferred to hear Carole King do a solo version of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow. Merle would have sounded much better solo, too.

If you're going to include Willie, old Waylon should be on the list, too.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 07:50 PM   #7
Tyler

YO PirateNC I just went to a Buffett concert last month.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 07:50 PM   #8
brink

YO PirateNC I just went to a Buffett concert last month.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 12:09 AM   #9
JOHN

quote:
Originally posted by pirateNC:
As far as Mr Haggard tell me that he and Gord are not the ultimate poets of our or your generation?

Is that supposed to be a question?

What you a smart ass? no it wasnt a question just a comment.

It's good to see people that listen to Lightfoot have an understanding on what a songwriter is. As far as Margaritaville I'm sure Buffett wouldn't want to play it unless he had a gun to his head.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:09 AM   #10
pirateNC

quote:
Originally posted by pirateNC:
As far as Mr Haggard tell me that he and Gord are not the ultimate poets of our or your generation?

Is that supposed to be a question?

What you a smart ass? no it wasnt a question just a comment.

It's good to see people that listen to Lightfoot have an understanding on what a songwriter is. As far as Margaritaville I'm sure Buffett wouldn't want to play it unless he had a gun to his head.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:25 AM   #11
stationmaster

I think Waylon has better things to do right now!
Old 06-07-2004, 12:30 AM   #12
stationmaster

I did like THE HIGHWAYMEN but Gord is the ultimate songwriter. His songs leave you with descriptive visions long after the music stops. That's talent!
Old 06-07-2004, 10:05 PM   #13
Janice

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
Willie always sings and plays on the offbeat during live performances but the same songs on CD usually sound normal. This is Willie and he has always played this way. He is a classical guitarist by training and is quite good. "Trigger" has taken a beating.

No kidding! It is definitely used and abused, but what a treasure with all those autographs - I'd keep playing it too if I were him
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:52 PM   #14
JOHN

So it went from the three to Willie..which is fine but I was and am trying to get some opinions on the songwriting of Gordon, Jimmy Buffett and Merle Haggard and only those three please..someone ? anyone?
Old 06-16-2004, 08:52 PM   #15
pirateNC

So it went from the three to Willie..which is fine but I was and am trying to get some opinions on the songwriting of Gordon, Jimmy Buffett and Merle Haggard and only those three please..someone ? anyone?
Old 06-17-2004, 12:58 AM   #16
Brian 57

I read somewhere (in this forum in one thread or another, probably) that Jimmy Buffett said that "Come Monday" was his attempt to write a song like Gordon Lightfoot.
Brian 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 08:02 AM   #17
groban

Please,do not forget John Prine,he is a Wizard of Words!
groban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 08:02 AM   #18
kicks

Please,do not forget John Prine,he is a Wizard of Words!
kicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 07:07 PM   #19
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I always thought it would be interesting if Gord and Waylon had gotten together and written a couple of songs together. Waylon never had a problem hanging around rock or pop personalities. I believe he was supposed to ride in the plane that Buddy Holly was in the night it crashed but decided to skip the flight at the last minute. He did a song with Neil Diamond on Neil's Tennessee Moon album and for years called Neil a "Beverly Hills Hillbilly". So I think he and Gord would have gotten along fine, if Gord was into collaboration, but as we all know, he's not.
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 07:07 PM   #20
Rob1956

I always thought it would be interesting if Gord and Waylon had gotten together and written a couple of songs together. Waylon never had a problem hanging around rock or pop personalities. I believe he was supposed to ride in the plane that Buddy Holly was in the night it crashed but decided to skip the flight at the last minute. He did a song with Neil Diamond on Neil's Tennessee Moon album and for years called Neil a "Beverly Hills Hillbilly". So I think he and Gord would have gotten along fine, if Gord was into collaboration, but as we all know, he's not.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote