banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-15-2003, 09:27 AM   #1
DMD3

Give me a list of all the GL songs you have heard on the radio. Not the internet radio or anything like that but the car radio, or the stereo player, and stuff like that. The only 2 I've ever heard are "Wreck of the E.F." and "Sundown".
Old 05-15-2003, 09:27 AM   #2
DMD3

Give me a list of all the GL songs you have heard on the radio. Not the internet radio or anything like that but the car radio, or the stereo player, and stuff like that. The only 2 I've ever heard are "Wreck of the E.F." and "Sundown".
Old 05-15-2003, 09:56 AM   #3
Jack

Here I go, aging myself here...

If You Could Read My Mind
Minstrel of the Dawn
Love and Maple Syrup
Cabaret
Summer Side of Life
Talking in Your Sleep
Beautiful
Don Quixote
Sundown (ad nauseum...I enjoy the song, but enough is enough)
Carefree Highway
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Anything for Love (that's how I found out EOM was released. After Ed Fitz and before AFL's 5 second radio play it had been a veritable wasteland as far as Lightfoot publicity in my world)

Jack

Old 05-15-2003, 09:56 AM   #4
Jack

Here I go, aging myself here...

Minstrel of the Dawn
Love and Maple Syrup
Cabaret
Summer Side of Life
Talking in Your Sleep
Beautiful
Don Quixote
Sundown (ad nauseum...I enjoy the song, but enough is enough)
Carefree Highway
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Anything for Love (that's how I found out EOM was released. After Ed Fitz and before AFL's 5 second radio play it had been a veritable wasteland as far as Lightfoot publicity in my world)

Jack

Old 05-15-2003, 12:02 PM   #5
formerlylavender

I've heard Sundown and IYCRMM several times on the radio. As a matter of fact, I just heard IYCRMM yesterday on an easy listening station. I've heard Carefree Highway a couple of times and The Wreck and Rainy Day People only once. I'm in my 30s, and in this area (Delaware), Gord airplay has declined rapidly since the 80's.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 01:35 PM   #6
Jack

Oops. Thanks for the reminder formerlylavendar. Yes, add Rainy Day People and Cold on the Shoulder to my list. Somehow I completely skipped over that album. And funny thing is that I have probably heard those two the most recently. Besides Sundown that is.

Jack
Old 05-15-2003, 01:35 PM   #7
Jack

Oops. Thanks for the reminder formerlylavendar. Yes, add Rainy Day People and Cold on the Shoulder to my list. Somehow I completely skipped over that album. And funny thing is that I have probably heard those two the most recently. Besides Sundown that is.

Jack
Old 05-15-2003, 01:46 PM   #8
Gord

I've heard Dream Street Rose many times as well as Baby Step Back.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:46 PM   #9
Gord

I've heard Dream Street Rose many times as well as Baby Step Back.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:55 PM   #10
Borderstone

I have only heard 5 out of his 6 top 40 hits played on the radio. Radio never plays,"The Circle Is Small." If it ever was played,it was in the '70's on just enough stations to make it a minor hit. It alos might have been on the,"American Top 40" radio show which used to be hosted by Kasey Casum. The only other 2 songs I've heard broadcasted are,"Beautiful" and "Anything For Love" on AC radio naturally. He's got a catalouge of nearly 500 songs and all they can play are 8? That's why I rarely turn on the radio anymore,it's boring and predicatable,not to mention musically segregated. It's been the B! Catch ya on the flipside of Sundown!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 08:52 PM   #11
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I first heard Lightfoot on the radio, that's why I went out and bought his albums. Back in the day when FM radio was new they played big chunks of "albums" as opposed to AM radio which mostly did "singles". He was all over the dial in the 1970s in NY and California, which are the only two places I can speak of. The airplay died down through the 80s and we all know where it is now. So my answer is I've heard just about everything up to The Wreck on the radio and most of that when it was "new". But then I'm as old as dirt, having turned 50 on Tuesday.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:22 PM   #12
Lil Hoov

I listen to the oldies channel and still hear; IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND, BEAUTIFUL, RAINY DAY PEOPLE, SUNDOWN,and THE WRECK OF THE EDMUND FRITZGERALD. There are so many other great Gord songs they could play,it's sad the radio people don't play songs other than most popular ones only.Randy
Old 05-15-2003, 09:22 PM   #13
Lil Hoov

I listen to the oldies channel and still hear; IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND, BEAUTIFUL, RAINY DAY PEOPLE, SUNDOWN,and THE WRECK OF THE EDMUND FRITZGERALD. There are so many other great Gord songs they could play,it's sad the radio people don't play songs other than most popular ones only.Randy
Old 05-15-2003, 09:47 PM   #14
TheWatchman

Happy belated birthday BillW!!

Sundown
Carefree Highway
Early Morning Rain
Rainy Day People
Anything For Love
Stay Loose
The Wreck
Beautiful

I'm sure there are a few more that I have heard but I can't think of them at the moment...
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 10:05 PM   #15
Tyler

Yeah Happy Birthday Bill. I have two friends turning fifty and I am working hard on doing a scrapbook for each of them for their first fifty years. Great fun.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 10:05 PM   #16
brink

Yeah Happy Birthday Bill. I have two friends turning fifty and I am working hard on doing a scrapbook for each of them for their first fifty years. Great fun.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 12:06 AM   #17
joveski

only sundown and if you could read my mind
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 05:33 AM   #18
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

This might be slightly off-topic, but my favorite memory of hearing a Gord song on the radio was in the spring of '86. I'm a radio-geek and I like to once in a while do some "DXing", that is, try and tune in radio stations from far away. I was up at my summer house in SW Michigan and late one night was tuning around on my really good Panasonic AM radio and heard "Anything For Love" from a station out of Toronto at 1010 on the AM dial. That's how I found out that
EOM was coming out soon.
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 05:33 AM   #19
Rob1956

This might be slightly off-topic, but my favorite memory of hearing a Gord song on the radio was in the spring of '86. I'm a radio-geek and I like to once in a while do some "DXing", that is, try and tune in radio stations from far away. I was up at my summer house in SW Michigan and late one night was tuning around on my really good Panasonic AM radio and heard "Anything For Love" from a station out of Toronto at 1010 on the AM dial. That's how I found out that
EOM was coming out soon.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 06:37 AM   #20
Auburn Annie

quote:Originally posted by BILLW:
...I've heard just about everything up to The Wreck on the radio and most of that when it was "new". But then I'm as old as dirt, having turned 50 on Tuesday.

Bill

Belated Happy Birthday, Bill! And that makes me older than dirt since I'm, uh, 50+ <g>

Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 06:37 AM   #21
Auburn Annie

quote:Originally posted by BILLW:
...I've heard just about everything up to The Wreck on the radio and most of that when it was "new". But then I'm as old as dirt, having turned 50 on Tuesday.

Bill

Belated Happy Birthday, Bill! And that makes me older than dirt since I'm, uh, 50+ <g>

Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 08:26 AM   #22
formerlylavender

Happy belated birthday, Billw! Hope you had a great day.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 09:30 AM   #23
SilverHeels

Belated Birthday Greetings, Bill!
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 01:29 PM   #24
BrightSide

Back in "the day" (1970s) of Gord's greatest popularity, you could have heard almost all his current music at any given time, because that was the era of FM "alternative" radio. These stations (and they were very popular at the time) often "tracked" whole albums. But even these "progressive rock" stations generally stuck to what they knew their audience would like. In Gord's case, this meant you didn't hear his earlier (United Artists label) work.

I've never heard any of Gord's later (1980s-90s) work on the radio here near Washington, DC--but I must admit I don't listen to "adult contemporary"-type stations much. The oldies stations stick to mainstream pop; on them you might hear one of these four (in this order of probability): 1. Carefree Highway, 2. Sundown, 3. IYCRMM, and 4. The Wreck. Nothing else, ever.
BrightSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 01:29 PM   #25
MaryEllen

Back in "the day" (1970s) of Gord's greatest popularity, you could have heard almost all his current music at any given time, because that was the era of FM "alternative" radio. These stations (and they were very popular at the time) often "tracked" whole albums. But even these "progressive rock" stations generally stuck to what they knew their audience would like. In Gord's case, this meant you didn't hear his earlier (United Artists label) work.

I've never heard any of Gord's later (1980s-90s) work on the radio here near Washington, DC--but I must admit I don't listen to "adult contemporary"-type stations much. The oldies stations stick to mainstream pop; on them you might hear one of these four (in this order of probability): 1. Carefree Highway, 2. Sundown, 3. IYCRMM, and 4. The Wreck. Nothing else, ever.
MaryEllen is offline   Reply With Quote