banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-23-2004, 10:27 PM   #1
CoryM

Default Have you ever met Gord?

Have you ever met Gordon Lightfoot? I have...sort of. I was talking to the doormen at the side door of Massey Hall on one of GL's concert nights. I was asking them what the accoustics would be like in certain seats. Suddenly, one of them said, "why dont you just ask him?" I looked behind me, and there was Gord, coming up behind me with a coffee. As he squeezed by me to go into the side door of the Concert Hall, I blurted out,"Hi Gord." Like I had known him all my life...then I felt stupid. And there I was standing there with the new pencil sketch portrait of him (that I had just bought from a street vendor), and I didnt even ask GL to sign it for me. Dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

------------------
knightmoves
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:27 PM   #2
knightmoves

Have you ever met Gordon Lightfoot? I have...sort of. I was talking to the doormen at the side door of Massey Hall on one of GL's concert nights. I was asking them what the accoustics would be like in certain seats. Suddenly, one of them said, "why dont you just ask him?" I looked behind me, and there was Gord, coming up behind me with a coffee. As he squeezed by me to go into the side door of the Concert Hall, I blurted out,"Hi Gord." Like I had known him all my life...then I felt stupid. And there I was standing there with the new pencil sketch portrait of him (that I had just bought from a street vendor), and I didnt even ask GL to sign it for me. Dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

------------------
knightmoves
knightmoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:31 PM   #3
brink

I have a treasure, it is a picture of me and Gord. I still have the shirt he touched when he put his arm around me. How is that for being, Oh, so High School!?!
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 03:40 AM   #4
Doug Letcher

I met Gl once, when I was 17.I was at a concert in upstate New York and I took a wrong turn and saw Gordon coming out of a room,
talking to a staff member. I reached for
his hand and we shook. I asked him if we might
hear "Summer Side of Life", as it is one
of my favourite GL songs. He told me that
he didn't quite sing that song the way
he could in younger years. We shared a laugh,
and as he walked away he asked if there was
anything else I looked forward to hearing.
I said "Wherefore and Why". He told me he
would see what he could do. He played it.
A very decent man, and a moment I will
never forget.

[This message has been edited by Doug Letcher (edited March 24, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Doug Letcher (edited March 24, 2004).]
Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:34 PM   #5
Long River

After a concert 3 years ago, my Dad & I waited outside behind the theater. We met & took photos of Terry, Barry & Mike and after an hour, Gordon & Rick came out. Gordon was very gracious with everyone, took the time to sign albums & have his picture taken with everyone. When I went up to him, I told him how much I enjoyed his music (I'm not very original) and he said a few lines to me. I was so excited & awestruck that I didn't even remember what he said just after he said it. I think he might have quoted something from a poem or a song, I don't know but I kick myself everytime I think about it.

Anyway, he was as nice as could be, soft spoken, pleasant, smiling. After he was done (or when the security man decided he was done) he walked over to a car which was parked next to my Dad's car, got in the passenger's side and with Rick driving, drove off. I thought that was funny, no limos, no fancy chauffeurs, no pretentions, just hop in the car in the parking lot.
Long River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 04:43 PM   #6
Borderstone

Well<Knightmoves...I've told this story on here about 3 times and said the last time would be just that..but since your a more recent member I'll make an exception.

In July of 2002,I read in a local Phoenix alternative newspaer (New Times) that GL was coming to town on Tuesday August 6th. (Which by coincidence is my late Grandmothers B-Day!
My brother and I went to our local grocery store which has a music section with a ticket master. He paid for my ticket and of course I paid him back later. To make this a real all day event,I requested the day off work,heck,I even told them why!
Well,the 6th rolled around and I went to the Dodge theatre located downtown,4 hours early!
Of course I was hoping to see him drop by for a possible rehearsal or sound check or such. No such luck.
So,after being downtown a considerable amount of time,they let us in. The show finally started and when GL took the stage I couldn't believe that was the same person on the LP covers I'd come to know. Skiiiiiiiny! I was in the 10th row which was kinda close but I wished I had a slightly better seat,so during his intermission,I moved up to the 1/2 empty 2nd row. (The ticket master guy said the really close seats were gone,yeah right!)
When they returned,there he was,in plain sight! He started to talk about writing songs for M. Douglases 1st film,I shouted out "Hail Hero!" and he said back,"You got it man!" He closed with Edmund Fitz. and then after the show about 30 or so fans and myself waited over 40 to 50 mins. for he and the band to emerge. (It was after 10pm!)
They finally cmae out and "Much To My Surprise" were very receptive to giving autographs! Had I known it would be that easy,I'd have brought my records with me! When he got to me he did sign my concert ticket (I'm glad they don't rip them anymore!) and a upcoming shows poster I had sneaked off a wall. I told him,"I've been listening to you since I was 6!" (I forgot this last time i told the story)-->He said back,"Funny,you don't look a day over 5!" We shook hands and thanked eachother and I told him,"God,Bless you!" Then he signed more things for others and left in a nice understated tan car. When he returns to Phoenix,I'm ready this time! Present LP's!

Been me,later! (& yes,last time for that story and this time I mean it!)

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #7
MistyMoppens

Default Re: Have you ever met Gord?

Yes.
MistyMoppens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:12 PM   #8
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

Many times over the years I have sat and talked with him and the guys. I got to know him and the guys in the band pretty well. His late road manager Barry was a very good friend and I have gotten to know Leslie and Gordons current RM, Warren. I have many photos and autographs. Even got to sit through a concert with his wife Kim a few years ago, she is such a gracious & nice person too. Gordon usually remembers me, but sometimes I wonder if he is just being gracious, as I don't see them as often as I used to 10 + years ago. Gordon meets lots of people every year and it must be hard to remember most of them. Rick, his bass player, I am a lot closer to, and usually in contact with, and he is a real super guy too. The whole band including the past members who have departed this life, were great guys. I am an old guy too at 77 now. I just hope everyone stays fine through all this pandemic mess, and we can all get back to a nice normal life again and see them in concerts again..

Last edited by JohninCt.; 06-05-2020 at 06:18 AM.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:34 AM   #9
paskatefan

Yes! The first time was after his 1981 concert @ the Academy of Music in Phila., PA. We saw other people waiting by the stage door, so we decided to wait with them. He came out for a few minutes & we got to talk to him! The next time was about a year later. We got to talk to Barry Keane. He put in a good word for us @ EMP, & we were able to get post show passes for a concert @ Garden State Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ (about an hour & 15 minutes from home, it has a different name now). Our closest venue is the Keswick Theatre in Glenside, PA (20 minutes from home). If the weather was decent, we would wait by stage door with other fans. Eventually Barry Harvey (of blessed memory) got to recognize us when he saw us & he very kindly let us backstage for so many times. In recent years, I would call the EMP office & ask to be put on the guest list for post-show passes. For the most part Ann has been able to honor our request & put us on the list. Even if we don't get to speak to Gordon after a concert, it is always a pleasure to speak to the band members!

Gail

Last edited by paskatefan; 06-05-2020 at 05:30 AM.
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:09 PM   #10
Borderstone

Well , as you read in 2004, I had met him once.

Since then, I met him again (ass most know here) after the Jamuary 28th, 2007 show here in Phoenix, this time I di bring the albums and got pictures tken with him too.

Then in Ocrober 2008 I flew out to L.A. to meet with fellow Corfid members to see him in Aguaora Hills and then drive down the coast the next day, to see him at Humphrey's By The Bay in San Diego . Meet and greet after those too.

So, 4 times. I've seen him in concert since but now , since I have met him so many times, I just watc the show and head on home after.