banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
scraphappy

Default For anyone that can appreciate it

I was 15 when a friend introduced me to GL. That was 34 years ago. Ever since that first song, I have been in love with his music. It grabbed hold of my heart and has never let go. Almost any of his songs can completely bring me to tears; both of pure joy and raw emotion. How can one man have all of these feelings in him and know how to write them? And then have the perfect voice to sing them. And the talent to 'play' them. It is spiritual and I have to think that God blessed him with all of these abilities.

I just wonder if you all feel the same way. I live in this little town and very few people even know who he is. And absolutely nobody understands what his music does to me; what it means to me.

Just wanted to share that with someone that might understand.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
Jesse Joe

Default Re: For anyone that can appreciate it

I understand what your saying scraphappy, for me it was in 1969 buying my first ~gl~ Album "Did She Mention My Name" because it had the song 'Black Day In July' on it the only Lightfoot song I knew from hearing it on the radio a lot back then.

But after listening to that entire Album over & over Ive been simply worship(p)ing this incredible human being {genius) ever since...

Every time he would put out a new recording I would quickly go & buy it.

It has always puzzled me how he remained thru it all... A simple man.

What a guy !
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
charlene

it's pretty fair to say that we all feel the same way...yep - he's The Man...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
formerlylavender

I know what you mean, scraphappy. I know so many people who can't appreciate Gord's music. I feel sorry for them really.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraphappy View Post
I was 15 when a friend introduced me to GL. That was 34 years ago. Ever since that first song, I have been in love with his music.
Do you remember what the first song was ?

Last edited by RM; 01-21-2010 at 01:35 PM.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
scraphappy

Probably 'Race Amoung the Ruins' But 'The Wreck...' is the one that trapped me! LOL
Old 01-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
bjm7777

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
it's pretty fair to say that we all feel the same way...yep - he's The Man...
Yep...
Old 01-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlylavender View Post
I know what you mean, scraphappy. I know so many people who can't appreciate Gord's music. I feel sorry for them really.
We had my daughter's boyfriend and his parents over for dessert and coffee on Christmas Night and his Mom knew who he was and a bunch of his tunes. And she liked them too, whoa! I was almost speechless but... that's never stopped me before. So I know what you mean.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraphappy View Post
Probably 'Race Amoung the Ruins' But 'The Wreck...' is the one that trapped me! LOL

Ahh, yes. That song single-handedly has turned so many people into GL fans.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
Auburn Annie

Yeah I think you'll find most of here have a similar story. I came to Lightfoot by way of Judy Collins' version of "Early Morning Rain." Saw it was written by some guy named Gordon Lightfoot, searched through the albums at the local record store, found it on "Lightfoot!" in 1966 and got hooked on the voice and the writing from the first track, which IIRC is "Rich Man's Spiritual." So we're talking almost 45 years as a devout Lighthead.

Through the mid 70s most people had an idea of who he is since he'd turn up both on the radio and occasionally TV here in the US and I figure much more so in Canada. Since then, it's a matter of educating those with ears open to "new" sounds. My kids know who he is (how could they avoid it??) and while not fans at the same level, at least don't go "ewwwww" when "Sundown" or some other song comes across the radio.

I've only managed 2 concerts over the years (5/3/74 and his return to Massey in 2005) and have never met him personally - I'd probably do a face plant at his feet - but thoroughly enjoy everyones' write-ups. The hand of something bigger than himself has definitely set itself in blessing on him and he knows it and tries to do his best by the gifts given to him.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
podunklander

for sure here too and always am amazed by his genius, talent that he's been blessed with, and passes along to us.

It's so great to hear him for the 1st time and get hooked .
Old 01-28-2010, 11:29 PM   #12
GJA

He is the man.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:33 AM   #13
Jenn

I can totally relate and I love the way you say 'it grabbed hold of my heart" cause that's exactly what happens...lol. You have come to the right place...it's the reason I joined this forum.
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:37 AM   #14
BendRick

In the early 1970's my brothers were already playing IYCRMM and Sundown. It's odd they never knew of DQ, ODR, COTS, even GG1. Maybe they were just following the Pop Hits at that time. It was a fellow high-school guy named Glen who introduced me to Summertime Dream, with its "Wreck" and "Summertime Dream." I was hooked from that day on, and went on a quest to get all of Gord's previous albums. Having done that, I wanted to stay current on his on-going recordings & concerts. His music has certainly been a prominent role in my life, as my family would agree!
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #15
DawnsMinstrel

I love reading all these stories of getting hooked on Gord. I can so relate. I was 8 years old. The song that hooked me was IYCRMM. I had no idea what it was about except that it was sad and despairing, lonely and beautiful. Why an eight-year-old-boy would connect with that I can't say but I did. At 11 I started learning guitar, and guess who's songs I wanted (needed) to play? I've been playing them ever since. Over the years, I've expanded my musical interests in all kinds of directions, but GL got me started and I always go back for a listen and I'm never not amazed.
DawnsMinstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #16
snoringcow

It's a parallel universe scraphappy!
Almost the same scenario. My older sister went to a GL concert with a boyfriend in Grand Rapids Michigan back in '69. They were distributing his tapes in the lobby. (8 track at the time ... seems unbelievable now) But she came home and, not caring for it that much I guess, gave it to me. I locked onto it and never stopped listening! - That was 42 years ago! Gulp! Have been to 6 or 7 of his concerts over these many years when he has toured the area. Always wanted to simply shake that man's hand and say thanks. But I've never had the chance.
Just saw him last year at WMU in Kalamazoo, my daughter bought me tickets for my birthday! Inspiring to see a guy with all of that great lyrical input still lovin' what he does in his 70's!
His lyrics always had some sort of a slight spiritual element to them that set my soul at ease, (Rain on the Rock comes to mind) - and a kind of freshness that can't be described. Definitely a songwriter with an indelible contribution! Keep telling myself I have to re-needle that old turntable of mine. I have nearly every vinyl that he recorded, but have been a bit lazy about replacing them all with CDs. Reading here I'm reminded of "Endless Wire" and a few others I'm lacking.
This is an interesting forum. I found it looking for tabs to Nous Vivons Ensemble`. Haven't found them yet, but I'm glad I found this!

Last edited by snoringcow; 08-12-2011 at 01:59 PM.
snoringcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #17
Dan O'Malley

"The Mountains and Maryann" is the one that grabbed me! been a fan for 22 years now. Wish i'd discovered him sooner!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #18
dad2mak

Back in the late 60's I was a college student in Azusa, CA, and was dating a girl named Jeannie Merritt (wish I could track her down so I could thank her). She played an album "Did She Mention My Name," by someone I'd never heard of before, Gordon Lightfoot. His voice, the lyrics, and Red Shea's guitar licks struck a chord with me (no pun intended) and I've been a fanatic ever since. "Mountains and Maryann" "Does Your Mother Know?" grabbed me as well, great arrangements. And it's been an over 40 year journey together since then.
dad2mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #19
Johann

All cowboys have heros and Gordon Lightfoot was mine. That's why I have a guitar hangin' from my hip. 'Go Go Girl' was the first GL song I picked up on and then 'Black Day in July'. I even had a poster of him on my wall, next to Roy Rogers and Gene Autry of course.
Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:09 AM   #20
Kelly Davis

My story is much the same as yours, Scraphappy.

I was 14 when I became hooked on my oldest brother's lp's of Gord's Gold.

Gordon's music has become such a pillar in my life (behind God and family, of course). I also live in a small town community where no one usually knows or listens to Gord. I think his music is just too intellectual, introspective and thought-provoking for most people.

Have been able to attend I think 14 concerts since 1991, and have met Gord and the band 12 times. My wife and I have tickets for Springfield, IL in September.

Last edited by Kelly Davis; 08-13-2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: spelling error
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #21
Auburn Annie

Ah, love "Does Your Mother Know" - just LOVED the sound of it from the first hearing and Gord was in such great voice then. I always thought there was a Glen Yarborough quality to Gord's voice in this song. And I was on my own for the first time, so it resonated on other levels, too. Sigh.....

Last edited by Auburn Annie; 08-15-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #22
patybear

I can totally relate,scraphappy.The first G.L. song(and also my favorite one)that I can clearly remember hearing on the radio is
"If You Could Read My Mind"(or as we here at corfid like to call it,
I.Y.C.R.M.M.)There is something about that song that just rips my heart out every time I hear it. I've only managed 1 concert.I would
love to attend more.But even if I don't,at least I've been able to achieve my dream,and see THE MAN.
I agree with you.Todays' music is lousy,in my opinion.The kids don't even know who THE MAN is.They don't know what music sounded like
back when you could listen to it,and still hear yourself think.

Last edited by patybear; 08-15-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: comments to be added
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #23
bjm7777

I was turned on to Gord with "The Way I Feel" (the second version), and "I'm Not Sayin'". I was eight or nine years old and was struck by the 12-string guitar sound and the sound of his voice. By 1970, "Me and Bobby McGee" had some airplay, and I thought "well, he's bought the farm - it's over". Boy, how wrong I was.....
Old 08-15-2011, 10:12 PM   #24
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

This is a great thread
I for one never tire of hearing how others discovered Gord especially those who are fortunate to be younger than myself
Nr do I tire of repeating my own experiences
So I will tell my story one more time at the risk of eliciting groans and other rudery from the Sydney Hooligan who has obviously woken up and dared to reply to one of my small talk threads
My story begins in 1964 when I had just finished an apprenticeship with Rolls-Royce Limited in England and managed to get myself transferred at the company's cost to Montreal
I was at the time just getting used the quite different sounds of The Beatles and knew just about all of their earlier output.I found that North America that year was latching on to them in a big way, my friend Allen with whom I had emigrated had a fine Sony radio that could pull in AM stations from all over the States and it soon became clear that if you wanted to hear literally any Beatles track you could do so if you tuned around long enough.
At the time I was heavily into orchestral music and hits such as these three were my favourites
Also at the time my habit was that if I heard a recording that I really liked I would try to find the album it came from and bought it on spec. This practice was far easier for me in Canada because not only was I being paid a lot more than I had been in England but vinyl LP prices were significantly less and even more so if we managed to venture South.Of couse quite often this meant that I had yet another album that had just the one good track on it!
In due course I heard a Canadian top ten hit

called "Spin Spin" on the new Montreal FM station CJFM
and soon thereafter a stirring version of another great song "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"

and when I then found that these two recordings were by a Canadian chappie called Lightfoot I naturally in early 1967 sought out the Lightfoot! album and was pleasantly surprised to find that all 11 tracks were excellent.When the same thing was true on the next album "The Way I Feel" a few months later I was set on collecting everything going an obsession that continues to this day with no less than three unreleased songs coming my way so far in 2010/2011.
these being "Magic Minstrel Show" from the 1983 San Francisco bootleg,
"Heavenbound" from the 1979 Carnegie Hall concert
and a solo "Take It Or Leave It"
from the 1968 Skip Weshner party as found in a rar format archived file downloaded thanks to the link on:-

http://sinkfullofdishes.wordpress.co...weshners-home/ 

Last edited by johnfowles; 08-16-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: to add the TFTEISYF lego video
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #25
Sydney Steve

Hmmm. The least surprising snippet here is that even in 1964 the company was happy to pay to get John to leave England as he "managed to get myself transferred at the company's cost to Montreal ".
In retrospect it was kind of the Canadians not to consider this an act of war -what did the Canadians do to deserve it ?