banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
Same Old Loverman

Default PBS Made in Chicago 1973- Wow!

Ok, here goes...I've never started a thread before, in fact, I've barely posted (I always feel like everyone else has more interesting things to say). But having just heard Gordon's 1973 PBS Made in Chicago concert (after years of anticipation) I have to say it's just as great as I hoped it would be ! There's a cool website called Sugarmegs that features this one as well as the German concert from 1975 (sound quality is great on both!): http://tela.sugarmegs.org/ The person that posted the concert (I wish I could thank them) mentioned that they were trying to find a copy of the video to this concert. I'm starting to wonder if one even exists.

We all know about the 1979 Soundstage video, but very little, except for the audio has surfaced from this 1973 show. A few years ago, I asked Rick Haynes about it. He said he remembered doing the show, but had no idea if there was any video kept from it. He said he has very little himself in the way of mementoes from those years. Since Gordon has said he no longer wishes to write and record new albums (I can understand- it sounds like a grueling process, and he's certainly paid his dues) I'm hoping at some point he'll go back through the "archives" and release some of these gems! I know Gordon has high standards about what he deems acceptable for release, but I wonder if he realizes how good this stuff really is!
Same Old Loverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Peter Bro10

Default Re: PBS Made in Chicago 1973- Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Same Old Loverman View Post
The person that posted the concert (I wish I could thank them) mentioned that they were trying to find a copy of the video to this concert. I'm starting to wonder if one even exists.
Great thread starter about a great show! This is one that I listen in regular rotation... great stuff! But I suspect that no video exist... I hope others will chime in on this.

I agree whole-heartedly about Gord releasing some earlier material... relax that standards a a bit and let us enjoy some rarities...

Oh yes, Sugarmegs is lots of fun... a treasure trove for sure

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Bro10 View Post
... great stuff! But I suspect that no video exist... I hope others will chime in on this

there have been several threads over the years (newsgroup also) seeking the video, PBS itself was even contacted ie)

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...973+soundstage

maybe we shouldn't give up...even that missing girl turned up after 18 years, however this has been missing for twice as long

i haven't listened to the link provided but if it's anything like the cds floating out there, it's the best thing i've ever heard live and hearing It's Worth Believin and Can't Depend on Love is really a treat ...great that it's being shared universally... nice find, SOL

ps) when you find the video, please make me a copy (i'll cover $postage, tenfold)
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
joveski

there's also a similar one from 1972 thats just as good
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:05 AM   #5
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveski View Post
there's also a similar one from 1972 thats just as good
the BBC? you have that on video? youtube is calling you

...the PBS 73 starts with DQ...what happened to Patriot's Dream? the vox and live tempo changes are impressive, a tight unit
Old 09-25-2009, 03:47 AM   #6
joveski

not sure where its from - i think it was also PBS. i only have the audio somewhere and not sure if there's a video out there
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:12 AM   #7
youngstranger

The BBC does have the Gord show in it's archive but maybe only in black and white. I don't understand why they don't repeat it. Recently they have shown the Joan Baez, Crosby and Nash, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee, and Richie Havens episodes amongst others.

Cool audio from the '73 show BTW. Thanks for that.
youngstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
Same Old Loverman

Mmm, I didn't know about the BBC stuff, that really sounds interesting. It's funny, listening to the Chicago show from '73, Gordon at one point says he wants to introduce the members of his band. First its Rick, then Terry...I was waiting to hear the other guys introduced, but they start into IYCRMM (very cool by the way) and then it hits me- it was still just Rick and Terry at that point! That got me to wondering, does anyone know if there are any tapes of shows featuring both Red and Terry on guitar? I know for a short time they toured together- I'll bet that would be fun to hear. I'm not sure, but it seems like someone even posted a rare photo of that lineup together at some point.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Same Old Loverman View Post
That got me to wondering, does anyone know if there are any tapes of shows featuring both Red and Terry on guitar? I know for a short time they toured together- I'll bet that would be fun to hear. I'm not sure, but it seems like someone even posted a rare photo of that lineup together at some point.
you mentioned the 1975 Germany (i haven't listened) but they are likely both on there...that was the tour that had both

otherwise, they are both on the July 1975 Red Rocks that you may not have stumbled upon yet...it's also got Gord playing piano

enjoy

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=19863
Old 09-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

OK I have to admit hearing a recording of the 10 June 1972 Royal Albert Hall,London concert during which Gord introduces both Terry Clements and Red Shea

and I do somewhere have a clipping from the BBC Radio Times
detailing Gord's 1972 television appearance,
I supplied a photocopy of it to Wayne Francis in 1997
which is precisely why he was able to say on
http://www.lightfoot.ca/tvappear.htm

"GORDON LIGHTFOOT IN CONCERT - BBC - 1972
This program titled "Gordon Lightfoot In Concert" aired on January 22, 1972 at 11 PM. Accompanied by Red Shea and Rick Haynes, Lightfoot performs Summer Side Of Life; Saturday Clothes; For Loving Me; Affair On Eighth Avenue; If You Could Read My Mind; Steel Rail Blues; Ten Degrees And Getting Colder and Early Morning Rain. The show only ran for 35 minutes, so it was certainly filled to the brim with music! "

which he copied verbatim from my clipping
Strangely I have no recollection of actually watching that show although I did watch one the previous year and recorded the audio (this was long before affordable domestic Video Cassette Recorders kiddies!!) from the TV set's loudspeaker a stonkingly superb version of "Farewell To Nova Scotia" that is streets ahead of the tame one on the La Cave,Cleveland bootleg followed by Miguel

Regarding Chicago 1973 I have never seen any positive evidence of the accompanying video.
but for anybody burning CD from the sugarmegs download I have uploaded a page of artwork:-

http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/LIGHTFO...icago_1973.htm

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:39 PM   #11
Same Old Loverman

Thanks for the info and the links John! The early 70's is my favorite Gordon era and the link you provided really whet my appetite. The BBC show sounds too good to be true, I mean Terry and Red together, plus a live version of "Summer Side of Life".....wow.

As for the Made in Chicago special from 1973, can you imagine if PBS did uncover the video from that show and actually aired it during their next pledge drive? The pledges would go through the roof!
Old 09-25-2009, 11:45 PM   #12
charlene

[QUOTE=johnfowles;154561]
Strangely I have no recollection of actually watching that show although I did watch one the previous year and recorded the audio (this was long before affordable domestic Video Cassette Recorders kiddies!!) from the TV set's loudspeaker a stonkingly superb version of "Farewell To Nova Scotia" that is streets ahead of the tame one on the La Cave,Cleveland bootleg followed by Miguel

QUOTE]

time to share sir john...time to share...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
Peter Bro10

Yes Sir John, please do!!!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote