banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2006, 08:16 PM   #1
tiffany

I don't mean to be depressing gang.But I'm curious.How many of you can't sing all the way through one of Gordons' songs without crying?
Which one(s)? Personally,I can't make it all the way through Gords version of 'Changes'(Yes,I know it was written by Phil Ochs).There just something about that song that makes me loose it everytime
I hear it.
patybear

[ December 01, 2006, 19:04: Message edited by: patybear ]
tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:16 PM   #2
patybear

I don't mean to be depressing gang.But I'm curious.How many of you can't sing all the way through one of Gordons' songs without crying?
Which one(s)? Personally,I can't make it all the way through Gords version of 'Changes'(Yes,I know it was written by Phil Ochs).There just something about that song that makes me loose it everytime
I hear it.
patybear

[ December 01, 2006, 19:04: Message edited by: patybear ]
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:34 AM   #3
joveski

dont make me cry, but the A passing ship comes close
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:19 AM   #4
formerlylavender

For me it's Looking at the Rain. Don Quixote is in my car right now, and when I hear that song, I can tear up on the spot.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:25 AM   #5
Yuri

Any closing song that makes the CD eject and brings silence to a room moments ago flooding my world with Lightfoot. It's the following silence that brings tears to my eyes!

...but seriously folks, I agree with 'formerlylavender' above and 'Looking At The Rain" puts a lump in my throat each time.

I shared the story of my connection to this song with this group years ago.
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:30 AM   #6
GJA

"Now and Then"
Old 11-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #7
Melody

"Song for a Winter's Night" about missing someone you truly love & "Home from the Forest" about a drunk, homeless man who lost his wife & children to his addiction(the "forest"). At the end, before he dies, a vision of her and his children appears to him, those he lost(to the "forest", the booze)....That's how I interpret that one. Just my opinion...
Melody
Old 11-30-2006, 11:12 AM   #8
charlene

Home From the Forest makes me cry sometimes as does Sit Down Young Stranger...When he did SDYS at Massey it was jaw droppingly spectacular...
it's a heartbreaker of a song... Both songs evoke such vivid images/emotions of true loneliness...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
Melody

Very true Charlene...

I meant to add that I interpret the "long forgotten Soldier" as lonley, forgotten "Man", who has lost his way...due to his addiction. The "forest" is a beautiful place initially, "where the wild flowers did bloom" but the man takes the wrong path in his life and the forest becomes a dark, sinister place. Again, my own interpretation...
Melody
Old 11-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #10
MaryO

Too late for prayin' is the one that tugs at my heart. m.
MaryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:14 PM   #11
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Circle Of Steel, Drifters, and Looking At The Rain can make me come pretty close when I'm in the correct mood.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:49 PM   #12
Old Folkie

Song for a Winter's Night
I Heard You Talking in Your Sleep (heartbreaking!)
Old Folkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:24 PM   #13
charlene

Quote:
BEAUTIFUL
BEAUTIFUL always did make me cry for sentimental reasons...now when I hear it in concert it's because he just soars when he sings it....it took a while to get used to the 'new' version but unless I play a CD I don't really remember it...The new version is truly beautiful...

Clouds of Loneliness can choke me up and "In My Fashion" can too....along with APPT....I hurt for him when I hear him sing such sad lyrics....
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:45 PM   #14
SilverHeels

'I'm not s'posed to care' is the biggie for me.
'Clouds of Loneliness' - that one hurts!
'Home from the Forest' so, so sad.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:03 PM   #15
seahawk11

Canary Yellow Canoe...

Just kidding. How's about Tattoo, Home from the Forest, Miguel, If Children had Wings? They all come close...
seahawk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:14 PM   #16
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

None yet !

Bill

Even his "sad" songs make me smile, go figure.
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:20 PM   #17
spammer

Pussywillows Cattails also can make me come close to crying. The lyrics are not that sad but the tune reminds me of days gone by (the ones that you cannot get back, and wish like h*ll you could)
Old 11-30-2006, 07:59 PM   #18
Borderstone

Not as many as before. The only one that still can pierce my cool (no matter how hard I try )is "Too late For Prayin'". *sniff!

Some come close but I hold it together to the end.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:14 PM   #19
spammer

Talking about "Too Late For Prayin", watch this film (kind of long) and then give that song a listen.

For each child with eyes that smile
They'll be 10 more cryin'
Old 11-30-2006, 08:53 PM   #20
jeffyjo

If Children Had Wings... also, oddly, Welcome To Try comes close... it leaves a lump in my throat.
jeffyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:18 PM   #21
Station Master

Send a message via ICQ to Station Master

hmmm, well, when Gord opened in Hamilton with Spanish Moss, unaccompanied, just his pluckin and strained vocal ...oh boy, that was a throat lump moment, that tune hit like never before

...whenever i hear that decending "so I'm rolling north thinkin' of the ways things might have been..." well, as usual, the seamless blend of lyric, reality, chord progression and melody make the eyes gloss up a bit ...not sure if it's joy or sorrow

but ditto to a prior post, too late for prayin - well, i cannot remember exactly weeping during or following a good listen but still, such impact (up there with 'not supposed to care', eh, bru? ...killer stuff, also)

i think one reason may also be the association i have given it to my first exposure and listening to some of the net gang picking away and singing this tune at a char-b-que kenyon 'shea' did some smooth, gentle soloing

i later remember getting out the axe, cockily and giving that tasty solo a go myself

ok, now THAT's when, not the song, but my entire butchered attempt led to the good wail ...heh

but back to serious, the lyric "for each child with eyes that smile there'll be ten more crying" hits hard

all interesting pics... so many neat threads to catch up on

Gord's last lyric(s) to us left me hanging and got me right down especially during that first long awaited listening, quite a damper

"...you're leaving right now..."

can't wait for a new album or more releases from the vaults... 'stone cold sober' certainly no to tapper either

cheers,
jimmy
Old 12-01-2006, 12:22 AM   #22
brink-

It has always been Home From the Forest. Tom's video of that chokes me up.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:58 AM   #23
Gitchigumee

Well when I was at a GL concert in Sept., Early Morning Rain made me cry. It was emotional, not because of the lyrics or melody, but just because it was my first Lightfoot concert and it's the opening song on a CD I play every day in my car, and it just hit me hard (but good) that I was actually seeing and hearing Gordon Lightfoot live, in person, the real thing, FINALLY! They were happy tears!
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:50 PM   #24
Andrea

Clouds of Loneliness gets to me. I don't think there's really a song out there that makes me cry. But the emotions in that song are so potent.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:51 PM   #25
Ginny

Hi Friends. First of all let me say that it's great to be able to come here and connect with all the wonderful folks again. This topic has lots of latitude for discussion about just what kind of sensation gets generated when we become so emotionally involved that we're brought to tears by a piece of artistic work. This happened to me recently at a symphonic performance here at the Orpheum theatre(Gord played there in 1999) in Vancouver. My wife asked me why I was crying and I told her I was overcome with joy. How else could it be explained? But the topic does tend to make one think a little more deeply as it's not just your average cry shall we say over the death of a family pet as an example. It's very different and when I tried to gather the thoughts going on at the time, a whole bunch of stuff kicked in beginning with the anticipation factor of getting ready for the concert and how lucky I was to live within a twenty minute walk to a beautiful well preserved old theatre and being able to sit there and absorb the cacophony of symphony musicians getting ready to play their beautiful acoustic instruments while waiting for the conductor to come out and then hearing that very first note. I guess it's all about being able to have this as part of your life's experience and how thankful and fortunate one really is. This could go on and on but getting back to Gord's songs; yes, "In My Fashion" can well me up pretty good. There's something about a recitation during a song that finds it's way into the emotional core and ingites a spasm that only a cryful episode seems to be able to contain. The first line: "Now Take A Look At Me." That's a powerful statement and a fearless one also. How many times has he sung that song, and in front of thousands of people? He's not hiding anything. The man is baring his soul in that one line. That does it for me. Of course being a guy who's gone through similar experiences as he has during his life registers pretty well also. You've done it, the very best you could do, and the home fires are still burning. So why not sing it out? It's a fantastic piece of work and I can still hear it ringin'in my head. For me it's another great experience that has come my way in life for which I am very thankful. Bring on the throat constrictors and the tear wellers. Ron J.
Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote