banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Off Yonge Street

Default Two Recent Video Interviews of GL by Rudy Blair (680 News)

I've enjoyed reading the posts on this forum for several years. I finally registered for the forum today.

In case there hasn't already been a post on this topic . . .

Two recent video interviews of GL by Rudy Blair can be viewed on the website of Toronto's 680 News (www.680news.com) via News > Video Galleries.

(One of the interviews consists of a guided tour of part of Lightfoot's home (with GL as the tour guide).)
Off Yonge Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Two Recent Video Interviews of GL by Rudy Blair (680 News)

thanks for the headsup! one link didn't work - here's one to the interview but the house tour video doesn't seem to work fo rme. wish they'd interviewed him somewhere other than in front of a window..he's just a silhouette for the most part..radio guys don't know about those tech details of video shoots i guess..lol

http://www.680news.com/2009/11/19/68...don-lightfoot/

http://www.680news.com/2009/11/19/68...ghtfoots-home/

CBC Q radio is supposed to have an interview with him close to the Nanaimo/Vancouver dates..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
joveski

i managed to see the house tour... great stuff! it asked me to download a player and then it went perfectly
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveski View Post
i managed to see the house tour... great stuff! it asked me to download a player and then it went perfectly
send the link along..

i can't even get it to open to tell me to download a player. the interview opens just fine tho..
Old 03-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
joveski

i followed this link:

http://qml.quiettouch.com/files/radi...tfoot_home.wmv

you might have to downalod a plug-in.... hope it works!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
charlene

I finally got it to work - it was just being fussy!
lol
He used to have all those awards and framed certificates etc. at the office on Yonge St.
12,000 sq.ft. is a lot of house for one person..
Old 03-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
Oh, Linda

Wow, what a find!! I'm surprised that Gordon would offer such an interview complete with an in-home tour, considering what a private man he is.

There is something extraordinary in the every-day life shown here. And for all he has accomplished, could he be more humble? I think that's a big part of his charm. It's good to see him looking good and sounding upbeat as well. A very nice treat indeed for the corfid community

And welcome, Off Yonge Street!
Oh, Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #8
KHester

Thanks so much for finding the link. For those of us, who have had the good fortune of meeting him. The interview shows the Gordon all of us have met. Quiet, humble and unassuming.

Kevin
Old 03-16-2009, 04:09 AM   #9
Tim

What a wonderful experience. Gordon's gracious tour of his home was fantastic. I really like the kitty-cat part. It reminded me of Gordon's reference to "the cat" on the tune "It's Worth Believin." It also shows that he is down-to-earth and unassuming. Thanks much for sharing it!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
Auburn Annie

Jomo - funny name. The only problem I had watching the videos is the camera bouncing all over, especially going from picture to picture on the wall in his study. I suffer (and that's the word for it) from acute motion sickness and had to listen more than look. Even then I got distinctly queasy.

12000 sq ft! We could fit our house in a corner of his, lol. Nice to see it's fairly plain (no crazy architecture, wild colors.) The Fitz "hat" was a hoot!
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
formerlylavender

Great video! I liked the cat part too, especially how he picked him up and introduced him. Thanks for posting, Off Yonge Street.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
12,000 sq.ft. is a lot of house for one person..
Unfortunately, my dial-up connection chokes and experiences near-death when I try to watch it. From the 3 minutes I was able to view, I was taken by the fact that the place doesn't look lived in. That reminded me of a line from "On The High Seas"..........

"I don't want to own the key
To some ghostly mansion where souls are set free"

Great stuff. I add my thanks to Off Yonge Street.

Last edited by RM; 03-16-2009 at 03:04 PM.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #13
charlene

Interesting how he threw in the "I was outvoted to buy this place and move from Rosedale"..and "I didn't want a pool" stuff.
He did say he doesn't spend much time there - he's at the office, at the club or on the road...he lives two lives.
It really seems like a ghostly mansion..but in a really nice part of town!
Old 03-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #14
banjobench12

Was interesting to take the tour. I had a similar reaction to Char. A lot of the space seemed big and empty and so, to me, it seemed sort of sad. To be blunt.....lots of folks might think they want a 12000 sq ft. home but better to have a small place and share it with the people you love and who love you.
banjobench12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #15
podunklander

egadz now every Lighthead is going to want an SS Edmund Fitzgerald head That was too funny!!! Wonder how much... n'mind!

Nice decor...Early Funeral Parlor . Myself - I used to go for the big, dark pieces but I'm now reformed, light oak. Except I couldn't help myself and bought a HUGE Baroque-style chaise :roll eyes:. And I think I spotted a parquet floor in his house there and started drooling .

12,000 sq ft is not enough room for a Siamese cat!!! Wow oh Gordon is a brave man to take that cat in!! I took in a Siamese cat...tried to find the owner, but nobody would claim him. I found out why!! My son was a toddler and I didn't have to worry about him getting into things or breaking anything...but Chowder...OMG. He even knocked down a framed sketch that was hanging 4' or so on the wall...and tore it right out of the frame! I spent soooo much time on that drawing! I guess Chow really didn't like Neil Young!!!!

Nice to see these videos...thanks Off Younge!
Old 03-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #16
Hershey102

There is a certain spartan decorating quality to the home that shouts bachelor. I was surprised that the interview was conducted with the light source (window) behind Gordon. That darkens the image of your subject and is just basic taboo photography. A TV station would know better but, overall, I thought that the radio station did a decent interview. As always, Gord embraces his legacy with humility and a genuine appreciation for his success.
Hershey102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #17
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
12,000 sq ft is not enough room for a Siamese cat!!!

I dunno.......JoMo looked a little tired from it's trek to the litter box to me.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #18
charlene

I said the same thing aobut the window/lighting/backlight problem, but then remembered it was a radio show that was doing the interview..lol
Better lighting would have shown off his shirt with the cards and dice embroidery..
It was nice to see how he has his 'stuff' set out and pictures/certificates hung..very sweet..
Old 03-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #19
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Unfortunately, my dial-up connection chokes and experiences near-death when I try to watch it. From the 3 minutes I was able to view, I was taken by the fact that the place doesn't look lived in. That reminded me of a line from "On The High Seas"..........

"I don't want to own the key
To some ghostly mansion where souls are set free"

Great stuff. I add my thanks to Off Yonge Street.
try this - http://www.filesend.net/download.php...275d5cea40fbba.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #20
bjm7777

Charlene here put it best - a "ghostly mansion" (from "On The High Seas"). I found this probably the most intimate interview I've seen in quite a while, but I was definite struck by the sparse appointments of such an elegant house - especially the huge rec room with the pool table and Tiffany lamp above it. Pretty stark. But if I was a person who lived a life on the road so much, or was in the office promoting my business, or visiting family, my place would likely be just as spare.

Twenty-eight guitars that will eventually "be disposed of" - and mention of his estate - I guess it does come to that...I found the photos and awards interesting - an entire career on the wall.

Very eye-opening interview, to say the least.
bjm7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #21
charlene

here's the interview link if you can't open the other:
and you may download it here: http://www.filesend.net/download.php...40b0cb68a8c638 .
>
Old 03-16-2009, 09:26 PM   #22
Oh, Linda

Quote:
Better lighting would have shown off his shirt with the cards and dice embroidery..
Wasn't that the same shirt he wore during the George Stroumboulopolous (sp?) interview?

By the way, having had 24 hours to think about these interviews since viewing them last night, I've decided I like Gordon even more for what he doesn't have. There is absolutely no false pretense. What you see is exactly what you get.
Oh, Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #23
bjm7777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh, Linda View Post
Wasn't that the same shirt he wore during the George Stroumboulopolous (sp?) interview?

By the way, having had 24 hours to think about these interviews since viewing them last night, I've decided I like Gordon even more for what he doesn't have. There is absolutely no false pretense. What you see is exactly what you get.
You're right about the shirt. I'm sure that's the one from the TV interview you mentioned. And you raise a valid point about false pretense - just took me off guard a bit as to how empty it all looked. I hate those atrocious shows about how the rich and famous live, so Gord's place definitely was in stark contrast to that.
bjm7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:22 PM   #24
charlene

yep - same shirt he wore on The Hour.
and it looks like same pool table (maybe a new one) and light from the house in Rosedale. Same set up at least..one room for the table.
He mentioned having a few places around town so maybe some 'stuff' made it's way to those other places..where the kids live etc.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:40 AM   #25
RM

Quote:
Worked like a champ.

That was very thoughtful.....thank you.