banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
Jesse Joe

For me it has to be George Hamilton IV. Who has done many Lightfoot compositions, and still performs them from time to time at the Grand Ole Opry.

And there wont be a concert of his, without doing a couple of Lightfoot tunes, as I have seem him in concert in my hometown, way back in 1974.

He should be part of this Web site, because I know he is as much a Gordon Lightfoot fan as most of us are...JJ.

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMiYxYH9E3YABSq.jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12hrbqs5m/EXP=1149284785/**http%3a//www.nndb.com/people/055/000023983/gordon-lightfoot.jpg[/img]

[ June 03, 2006, 15:17: Message edited by: Jessi -Joe ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
Jesse Joe

For me it has to be George Hamilton IV. Who has done many Lightfoot compositions, and still performs them from time to time at the Grand Ole Opry.

And there wont be a concert of his, without doing a couple of Lightfoot tunes, as I have seem him in concert in my hometown, way back in 1974.

He should be part of this Web site, because I know he is as much a Gordon Lightfoot fan as most of us are...JJ.

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMiYxYH9E3YABSq.jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12hrbqs5m/EXP=1149284785/**http%3a//www.nndb.com/people/055/000023983/gordon-lightfoot.jpg[/img]

[ June 03, 2006, 15:17: Message edited by: Jessi -Joe ]
Old 06-01-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
Borderstone

Mainly Glen Campbell's "Last Time I Saw Her and the tribute versions fro mthe "Tribute" CD.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:36 PM   #4
<susan>

I love the Tony Rice all-Lightfoot cd.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:36 PM   #5
<susan>

I love the Tony Rice all-Lightfoot cd.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
Wes Steele

Marty Robbins.... Had a BIG Country hit with "Ribbon Of Darkness".

I bring this up becuase I have beome friends with two people who were very close friends of Marty. They have personal letters from Marty...plenty of pictures. They tell me he was a "Class Act"...A REAL gentleman.

I think that was the only GL song he sang, but I thought he did an excellent job with it.

It is never mentioned much, but I believe it was number one on the Country charts for a number of weeks... That had to be HUGE for Gordon at that early time in his career.

Those must have been "magical" times....

Wes
Wes Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
<Reminder>

Wes,

Your mention of Marty Robbins jiggled some memories.

I remember serving him coffee and pie at a Holiday Inn in Flagstaff, Arizona. He was a "class act" that night. I agree that his version of "Ribbon of Darkness" must have been a big boost for Lightfoot.
He left quite a legacy of great music.

RMD
Old 06-01-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
<Reminder>

Wes,

Your mention of Marty Robbins jiggled some memories.

I remember serving him coffee and pie at a Holiday Inn in Flagstaff, Arizona. He was a "class act" that night. I agree that his version of "Ribbon of Darkness" must have been a big boost for Lightfoot.
He left quite a legacy of great music.

RMD
Old 06-01-2006, 11:36 PM   #9
brink-

Quote:
Originally posted by Wes Steele:
Marty Robbins.... Had a BIG Country hit with "Ribbon Of Darkness".

I bring this up becuase I have beome friends with two people who were very close friends of Marty. They have personal letters from Marty...plenty of pictures. They tell me he was a "Class Act"...A REAL gentleman.

I think that was the only GL song he sang, but I thought he did an excellent job with it.

It is never mentioned much, but I believe it was number one on the Country charts for a number of weeks... That had to be HUGE for Gordon at that early time in his career.

Those must have been "magical" times....

Wes
I think Marty Robbins was just the best! I saw him in concert with my then, 5 year old daughter it was fantastic. What a showman, great singer and truly a gentleman who appreciated his fans.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:58 PM   #10
DJ in MJ

My favourite cover of a GL song is 'Drifters' by Ron Sexsmith. Ron, very highly thought of in music circles, is still underrated in the public eye. He's been getting more attention of late, and he deserves it.
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:54 AM   #11
joveski

ed kuepper did a nice "electronic" version of sundown...

bob dylan played I'm not supposed to care back in 1998 a few times..

will post mp3's soon
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:43 AM   #12
Rosanna

Theresa Sokyrka of Canadian Idol had a beautiful version of " Song For A Winter's Night". Watch for her in the future, and try to find that version, it's incredible.
Rosanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:43 AM   #13
Doug Letcher

Theresa Sokyrka of Canadian Idol had a beautiful version of " Song For A Winter's Night". Watch for her in the future, and try to find that version, it's incredible.
Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:49 AM   #14
joveski

open the links and there should be a download option to get the track (mp3)....

Ed Kuepper - Sundown:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ir7qge

Bob Dylan - I'm Not Supposed To Care (live - toronto 98)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5eujhi
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:57 AM   #15
charlene

Quote:
Originally posted by David (djb):
My favourite cover of a GL song is 'Drifters' by Ron Sexsmith. Ron, very highly thought of in music circles, is still underrated in the public eye. He's been getting more attention of late, and he deserves it.
I play that over and over - I've said before how much I love it. Ron's new CD is fabulous too....it gets played a lot too!

Jory Nash - Mother of a Miner's Child and Aengus Finnan - Miguel....

lots of things the tribute artists perform are wonderful. I am not a Tony Rice fan at all..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:57 AM   #16
charlene

Quote:
Originally posted by David (djb):
I play that over and over - I've said before how much I love it. Ron's new CD is fabulous too....it gets played a lot too!

Jory Nash - Mother of a Miner's Child and Aengus Finnan - Miguel....

lots of things the tribute artists perform are wonderful. I am not a Tony Rice fan at all..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:00 AM   #17
Jesse Joe

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9iby4ZuG4BESFsBljejzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=13fi2qelt/EXP=1149332718/**http%3a//images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20040819/wxlight0819/lightfoot2.jpg[/img]

Gordon Lightfoot and Elena Juatco...

Talking about Canadian Idol. That night, when it was all Lightfoot's music, and the man was there in the audience, also Rompin Ronnie Hawkins & wife, and many others. They all did great jobs with his music. But the one that stands out for me was 'Elena Juatco', doing, 'Early Morning Rain'. Even the host Ben Mulroney, said it best at the end of her performance, "That's the most beautiful thing I have ever heard." The following night she was voted off. I always tought there was something wrong with that vote. Everyone in the audience , even Mr. Lightfoot were up on there feet, giving her a Standing Ovation. I have it on VHS and do watch it from time to time, in full stereo, it sends shivers, at places you didn't know you had. :D

[ June 02, 2006, 06:10: Message edited by: Jessi -Joe ]
Old 06-02-2006, 06:00 AM   #18
Jesse Joe

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9iby4ZuG4BESFsBljejzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=13fi2qelt/EXP=1149332718/**http%3a//images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20040819/wxlight0819/lightfoot2.jpg[/img]

Gordon Lightfoot and Elena Juatco...

Talking about Canadian Idol. That night, when it was all Lightfoot's music, and the man was there in the audience, also Rompin Ronnie Hawkins & wife, and many others. They all did great jobs with his music. But the one that stands out for me was 'Elena Juatco', doing, 'Early Morning Rain'. Even the host Ben Mulroney, said it best at the end of her performance, "That's the most beautiful thing I have ever heard." The following night she was voted off. I always tought there was something wrong with that vote. Everyone in the audience , even Mr. Lightfoot were up on there feet, giving her a Standing Ovation. I have it on VHS and do watch it from time to time, in full stereo, it sends shivers, at places you didn't know you had. :D

[ June 02, 2006, 06:10: Message edited by: Jessi -Joe ]
Old 06-02-2006, 06:36 AM   #19
Jesse Joe

{Cowboy Junkies} &gt; The Way I Feel...
Old 06-02-2006, 06:36 AM   #20
Jesse Joe

{Cowboy Junkies} &gt; The Way I Feel...
Old 06-02-2006, 08:13 PM   #21
Dan O'Malley

I love Ron Sexsmiths "Drifters", but mu favourite will always be Elvis Presley's "For Lovin' Me"
Old 06-03-2006, 06:58 AM   #22
Jesse Joe

I didn't know Elvis Presley did, "For Lovin Me". I knew he did , "Early Morning Rain." Got to try and find that one.

[ June 27, 2006, 05:28: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 06-03-2006, 06:58 AM   #23
Jesse Joe

I didn't know Elvis Presley did, "For Lovin Me". I knew he did , "Early Morning Rain." Got to try and find that one.

[ June 27, 2006, 05:28: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 06-03-2006, 02:57 PM   #24
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Jessi -Joe:

George Hamilton IV

track listing
1.EARLY MORNING RAIN
2.STEEL RAIL BLUES
3.GO GO ROUND
4.BALLAD OF THE YARMOUTH CASTLE
5.SONG FOR A WINTER'S NIGHT
6.THE CANADIAN RAILROAD TRILOGY
7.HOME FROM THE FOREST
8.I'M NOT SAYIN'
9.DID SHE MENTION MY NAME
10.LONG THIN DAWN

There you go (H)omer
I am very fond of Nancy Griffith's "10 degrees" myself
and the very nice Tattoo as performed by the 2003 GL Tribute Band member Matt Carl
Not forgetting the recent superb French
"Inspiration Lady/Raison De Ma Vie" by Yves a.k.a. Sevy
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:57 PM   #25
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Jessi -Joe:

George Hamilton IV

track listing
1.EARLY MORNING RAIN
2.STEEL RAIL BLUES
3.GO GO ROUND
4.BALLAD OF THE YARMOUTH CASTLE
5.SONG FOR A WINTER'S NIGHT
6.THE CANADIAN RAILROAD TRILOGY
7.HOME FROM THE FOREST
8.I'M NOT SAYIN'
9.DID SHE MENTION MY NAME
10.LONG THIN DAWN

There you go (H)omer
I am very fond of Nancy Griffith's "10 degrees" myself
and the very nice Tattoo as performed by the 2003 GL Tribute Band member Matt Carl
Not forgetting the recent superb French
"Inspiration Lady/Raison De Ma Vie" by Yves a.k.a. Sevy
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote