banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-06-2004, 05:52 AM   #1
SeattleRain

Spotted in the April issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine, the Bluegrass outfit, The Gibson Brothers, have a CD coming out entitled Long Way Back Home.

I have been unable to locate a snippet of the song anywhere, but on the Gibson Brothers website there is an mp3 of another song from the CD and the boys sound pretty good to me. I assume that their cover of Gordon's song will do it justice.

Further to this, last night I watched a film about Gram Parsons, Fallen Angel.

This was the usual thing, numerous interviews with family, friends and colleagues over film of the tragic star with a background of some great music which included Gordon's Early Morning Rain by Gordon himself. A good little film, a must for Gram Parson's fans.
SeattleRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 05:52 AM   #2
Jim Nasium

Spotted in the April issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine, the Bluegrass outfit, The Gibson Brothers, have a CD coming out entitled Long Way Back Home.

I have been unable to locate a snippet of the song anywhere, but on the Gibson Brothers website there is an mp3 of another song from the CD and the boys sound pretty good to me. I assume that their cover of Gordon's song will do it justice.

Further to this, last night I watched a film about Gram Parsons, Fallen Angel.

This was the usual thing, numerous interviews with family, friends and colleagues over film of the tragic star with a background of some great music which included Gordon's Early Morning Rain by Gordon himself. A good little film, a must for Gram Parson's fans.
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 04:45 AM   #3
Borderstone

Jim,sory i didn't reply to this sooner,but I think any good country,folk rock or acoustic based act could really do justice to GL's works. As long as they appreciate the music,the cover version concept will work. Later man!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 02:13 PM   #4
SeattleRain

Borderstone, you have a good point, however, Nanci Griffith, a very good singer, covered "10 Degrees And Getting Colder" on her CD "Other Voices, Other Rooms" and I have to say I do not she did it justice.

I have just found a singer name of Kate Campbell, on a CD " Wandering Strange" which, according to the blurb, "are interpretations of old Baptist hymns and a beautiful rendition of Gordon Lightfoot's 'The House You Live In'". One of my favourite Lightfoot songs. There is a 30 sec clip below, if it works.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...111677-9231052
SeattleRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 02:13 PM   #5
Jim Nasium

Borderstone, you have a good point, however, Nanci Griffith, a very good singer, covered "10 Degrees And Getting Colder" on her CD "Other Voices, Other Rooms" and I have to say I do not she did it justice.

I have just found a singer name of Kate Campbell, on a CD " Wandering Strange" which, according to the blurb, "are interpretations of old Baptist hymns and a beautiful rendition of Gordon Lightfoot's 'The House You Live In'". One of my favourite Lightfoot songs. There is a 30 sec clip below, if it works.

Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 02:18 PM   #6
Cubfan64

I recently ran across a Jim Croce cover of Steel Rail Blues and a Sarah McLachlan cover of Song for a Winter's Night. These may have been discussed here previously and I missed it, having only been on the Board a short while.

Dan
Cubfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 02:18 PM   #7
The Intended

I recently ran across a Jim Croce cover of Steel Rail Blues and a Sarah McLachlan cover of Song for a Winter's Night. These may have been discussed here previously and I missed it, having only been on the Board a short while.

Dan
The Intended is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 07:09 PM   #8
Auburn Annie

The Croce cover is part of the first Croce album, "Facets" which has just been re-released on the Shout Factory label. Here's an excerpt from the press release:

"His parents gave Croce $500 as a wedding gift, with one stipulation: It must be used to record an album. Croce's parents figured the task would be so difficult that he would give up on music.

But the plan backfired -- 500 copies of the album quickly sold out among fans who heard Croce play at local bars, and Croce then devoted himself to music.

Now, 31 years after Croce's death in a plane crash, Ingrid Croce and their son -- also a musician -- are re-releasing the album, "Facets," along with a DVD of his performances, an early session recorded at the family's kitchen table, and a collection of photos paired in a hardcover book with the lyrics to "Time In A Bottle" and family reminiscences ... Croce's penchant for working-class tales is displayed in his covers of Gordon Lightfoot's "Steel Rail Blues" and "Coal Tattoo" by Billy Edd Wheeler. His musical arrangement of Rudyard Kipling's poem "Gunga Din" is a melancholy ode to soldiers. And the upbeat "Sun Come Up," written with his brother, Richard, stands out for its pop sensibility."

Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 07:09 PM   #9
Auburn Annie

The Croce cover is part of the first Croce album, "Facets" which has just been re-released on the Shout Factory label. Here's an excerpt from the press release:

"His parents gave Croce $500 as a wedding gift, with one stipulation: It must be used to record an album. Croce's parents figured the task would be so difficult that he would give up on music.

But the plan backfired -- 500 copies of the album quickly sold out among fans who heard Croce play at local bars, and Croce then devoted himself to music.

Now, 31 years after Croce's death in a plane crash, Ingrid Croce and their son -- also a musician -- are re-releasing the album, "Facets," along with a DVD of his performances, an early session recorded at the family's kitchen table, and a collection of photos paired in a hardcover book with the lyrics to "Time In A Bottle" and family reminiscences ... Croce's penchant for working-class tales is displayed in his covers of Gordon Lightfoot's "Steel Rail Blues" and "Coal Tattoo" by Billy Edd Wheeler. His musical arrangement of Rudyard Kipling's poem "Gunga Din" is a melancholy ode to soldiers. And the upbeat "Sun Come Up," written with his brother, Richard, stands out for its pop sensibility."

Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 11:29 PM   #10
Rosanna

I know you guys will probably never
hear this band I saw at a local pub the
other night,but they did an awesome version
of "Never too Close". A GL song I love
and never thought I'd hear from an average
country music cover band.
Rosanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 11:29 PM   #11
Doug Letcher

I know you guys will probably never
hear this band I saw at a local pub the
other night,but they did an awesome version
of "Never too Close". A GL song I love
and never thought I'd hear from an average
country music cover band.
Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 01:16 AM   #12
Borderstone

Jim,part of what I was trying to say was,if the act feels in their gut that they can do the song and not re-arrangeit to pieces,then they got a great chance at success. I think any of Gord's songs would be good for cover versions. Given the right circumstances. Been me,later!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:40 PM   #13
Station Master

Send a message via ICQ to Station Master

quote:Originally posted by Auburn Annie:
Now, 31 years after Croce's death in a plane crash, Ingrid Croce and their son -- also a musician -- are re-releasing the album, "Facets," along with a DVD of his performances

wow, dvd's have really come down in price (same with legit CD's ...mp3's just dont' do justice to most great productions so i don't listen to many) so i was finally able to see the Croce Live one after only seeing glimpses during the VH1 show years ago

they did actually show a bit more of SFAWN during the Farm doc, is that recording available in full form anywhere? i think Ingrid, Jim and Maury Muehleisen (nice to see him remembered in the July04 Sounding Board ) could have hooked up and given PP+M a good run as a wonderful harmonizing trio (but i suppose Ingrid was busy raising AJ)

anyhow, many are not fans of GL covers but GL is a songwriter first and foremost to me and i love hearing anyone and everyone adding new arrangements, varied phrasings, new harmonies, etc to his timeless creations...i will have to find JC's SRBs also someday, i can almost hear it in my head already

btw, some of the live tunes on the DVD were new to me (i thought i new all JC stuff!) and superb...all i want in live music is what they offered, 2 acoustics and lead and harmony vox...i wish i'd see GL in a similar setup, i miss live GL harmonies (i don't even think a song like Triangle should be done live without harmonies, anyhow, digression) ...cheers JC and MM, miss you guys

jj
Station Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:40 PM   #14
jj

quote:Originally posted by Auburn Annie:
Now, 31 years after Croce's death in a plane crash, Ingrid Croce and their son -- also a musician -- are re-releasing the album, "Facets," along with a DVD of his performances

wow, dvd's have really come down in price (same with legit CD's ...mp3's just dont' do justice to most great productions so i don't listen to many) so i was finally able to see the Croce Live one after only seeing glimpses during the VH1 show years ago

they did actually show a bit more of SFAWN during the Farm doc, is that recording available in full form anywhere? i think Ingrid, Jim and Maury Muehleisen (nice to see him remembered in the July04 Sounding Board ) could have hooked up and given PP+M a good run as a wonderful harmonizing trio (but i suppose Ingrid was busy raising AJ)

anyhow, many are not fans of GL covers but GL is a songwriter first and foremost to me and i love hearing anyone and everyone adding new arrangements, varied phrasings, new harmonies, etc to his timeless creations...i will have to find JC's SRBs also someday, i can almost hear it in my head already

btw, some of the live tunes on the DVD were new to me (i thought i new all JC stuff!) and superb...all i want in live music is what they offered, 2 acoustics and lead and harmony vox...i wish i'd see GL in a similar setup, i miss live GL harmonies (i don't even think a song like Triangle should be done live without harmonies, anyhow, digression) ...cheers JC and MM, miss you guys

jj
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:52 PM   #15
JohnBellardJr

quote:Originally posted by Jim Nasium:

Jim,

The clipped worked.....wish it was longer.
Who is Kate Campbell? (It wasn't Gord!), but
nevertheless, sent chills up and down my
spine!

Aime_41 ....aka.....LAM3346E

------------------
Aime_41
JohnBellardJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:52 PM   #16
Aime_41

quote:Originally posted by Jim Nasium:

Jim,

The clipped worked.....wish it was longer.
Who is Kate Campbell? (It wasn't Gord!), but
nevertheless, sent chills up and down my
spine!

Aime_41 ....aka.....LAM3346E

------------------
Aime_41
Aime_41 is offline   Reply With Quote