banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
Mist O' The Morn'

This topic has probably been raised before, but I’ll pose it anyway rather than research old posts. Also, some of what I have to say I’ve said before, so forgive the redundancies.

Ever wonder what brings us here, what keeps us here, what has us coming back? Why Lightfoot and not some other artist or folk singer? What is it about this artist, this singer, this lyricist, this songwriter that captivates us? Besides the fact that “corfid” is much more fun and certainly a great deal more interactive with this very keen discussion forum and all these wonderful people possessing so much knowledge, why aren’t we at other places like these instead? Places like…. http://www.tomrush.com/ or http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~trent/ochs/ or http://www.ericandersen.com/ or http://donovan.ie/index2.php?detail=Home or, ah, you get the point.

For me it’s just a very personal thing, the way the music literally touches me, reaches out to me, connects with me mysteriously yet tangibly. For me it’s that masterful intertwining of colors, texture, backgrounds and subject that frames every song, and which keeps me coming back for more and that keeps me pickin’ and singin’ these tunes over a guitar.
There are many other greats from an era where song was a delicate mixture of melodies and poems, but Lightfoot is, and remains, above them all; the quintessential poet, who can eloquently sing and paint vivid images of love, pain, social conditions, war, nature, the environment in a manner unsurpassed by any of his peers either in his generation or in those that precede or surpass. I like what that Sing Out! In Harmony article stated, “…one of the beauties of Lightfoot songs has always been the concision with which they convey an entire drama, love affair, or tragedy. Has anyone ever captured anomie and despair more compactly than he…” For me, he’s the master; no one weaves music and lyric better than he.
There are other aspects for me as well, the lessons learned directly and indirectly through the music, the experiences shared, all the beauty and magnificent visions, the pictures and tones, stories and poetry that set numerous stages within this man’s life. There is also the intangible, at times a source of strength, the empathy, the just being there, whether anyone knew it or not. I appreciate the songs he gives, which I still lean on or use as charts to navigate some of life’s more treacherous channels. Oh, the power of music, the mystical sway of art!
Mist O' The Morn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
walls

Send a message via MSN to walls

This topic has probably been raised before, but I’ll pose it anyway rather than research old posts. Also, some of what I have to say I’ve said before, so forgive the redundancies.

Ever wonder what brings us here, what keeps us here, what has us coming back? Why Lightfoot and not some other artist or folk singer? What is it about this artist, this singer, this lyricist, this songwriter that captivates us? Besides the fact that “corfid” is much more fun and certainly a great deal more interactive with this very keen discussion forum and all these wonderful people possessing so much knowledge, why aren’t we at other places like these instead? Places like…. http://www.tomrush.com/ or http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~trent/ochs/ or http://www.ericandersen.com/ or http://donovan.ie/index2.php?detail=Home or, ah, you get the point.

For me it’s just a very personal thing, the way the music literally touches me, reaches out to me, connects with me mysteriously yet tangibly. For me it’s that masterful intertwining of colors, texture, backgrounds and subject that frames every song, and which keeps me coming back for more and that keeps me pickin’ and singin’ these tunes over a guitar.
There are many other greats from an era where song was a delicate mixture of melodies and poems, but Lightfoot is, and remains, above them all; the quintessential poet, who can eloquently sing and paint vivid images of love, pain, social conditions, war, nature, the environment in a manner unsurpassed by any of his peers either in his generation or in those that precede or surpass. I like what that Sing Out! In Harmony article stated, “…one of the beauties of Lightfoot songs has always been the concision with which they convey an entire drama, love affair, or tragedy. Has anyone ever captured anomie and despair more compactly than he…” For me, he’s the master; no one weaves music and lyric better than he.
There are other aspects for me as well, the lessons learned directly and indirectly through the music, the experiences shared, all the beauty and magnificent visions, the pictures and tones, stories and poetry that set numerous stages within this man’s life. There is also the intangible, at times a source of strength, the empathy, the just being there, whether anyone knew it or not. I appreciate the songs he gives, which I still lean on or use as charts to navigate some of life’s more treacherous channels. Oh, the power of music, the mystical sway of art!
Old 11-06-2006, 11:11 PM   #3
Ginny

Hi there Walls. Seems I read your post just when the frame of mind was floating around out there on a November wave length. It touched me nostalgically that you mentioned Tom Rush and others of an era that I lived through. Oh those amazingly wonderful Riverboat days. The're still included as part of my collection of "favs." Now leaning to the the more serious side, what Gordon Lightfoot presented was another totally separate kind of musical offering that seemed to have the ability to penetrate the most inner parts of the musical side of the brain, make it's indelible mark and live there. It probably is confirmation why we all are here. (just the wave length kickin'in folks) That being said it's a very special time for me and probably connected a lot to the upcoming gigs at Massey Hall in Toronto and the "Fitzgerald" Anniversary being at hand as well. And all very thankful for an old guy like me at this stage in my life still blessed with relatively the good health and strength to get out there and still have a lot of fun with the tunes. But yes it's a bit of a phenomenon that so many of us have been touched by the artistic creativity of this genius of a man and are brought together here in this forum that found it's wove in the hearts and minds of the most dedicated Lightfoot fans anywhere. Many Happy Lightfoot days ahead. RJ.
Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:28 AM   #4
charlene

I initially arrived here because of The Man and his music...I've stayed because of the fine people.

36 of my 51 years have had Lightfoot in them...the music of my life! It has defined who I am and what I feel as a music lover, a Canadian, a woman, a person. It is an intricate part of my identity of which I am very proud and humbled to have. Lightfoot music is home to me.

And at this home called CORFID there are people who are my comfort, my smiles, tears and laughter. The friendships transcend the music, and I am proud to call many who come here my friends. Their graciousness, empathy, generosity, compassion and caring have enriched my life in so many ways. We share our lives tho we are long distances apart yet the feeling is one of comfort and closeness. It is lovely. It's as fine as fine can be.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:28 AM   #5
charlene

I initially arrived here because of The Man and his music...I've stayed because of the fine people.

36 of my 51 years have had Lightfoot in them...the music of my life! It has defined who I am and what I feel as a music lover, a Canadian, a woman, a person. It is an intricate part of my identity of which I am very proud and humbled to have. Lightfoot music is home to me.

And at this home called CORFID there are people who are my comfort, my smiles, tears and laughter. The friendships transcend the music, and I am proud to call many who come here my friends. Their graciousness, empathy, generosity, compassion and caring have enriched my life in so many ways. We share our lives tho we are long distances apart yet the feeling is one of comfort and closeness. It is lovely. It's as fine as fine can be.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:14 AM   #6
talbot10

"It has defined who I am and what I feel as a music lover, a Canadian, a woman, a person. It is an intricate part of my identity of which I am very proud and humbled to have. Lightfoot music is home to me."

Very nicely said Charzo!
See you next week.
Bill
Old 11-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #7
Yuri

This old psychadelic rocker was a "closet" Lightfoot fan from the '60's. His songs have always caught my ear although I cannot claim to have followed his career from 'day one'.

I love most musical formats although RAP always seems to bring me physical pain and mental anguish. Mozart may touch me most deeply yet should I listen only to his works to the exclusion of Bach, Wagner, Tchaikovsky and the like. I grew up with the 'Beatles','Iron Butterfly', 'Deep Purple', 'The Doors' and 'Mountain' just to mention a very few.

Was I cheating on Gord? (of course not!)

Always having been aware of Gord's magic, I suppose the first album I bought was 1970's 'The
Best Of Gordon Lightfoot. Couldn't let my 'Yes' and 'King Crimson' fans find out!

Even in my childhood I fell in love with the rugged Canadian northland with it's granite backbone pushing through the sparse soil like the knees through some teenager's jeans. Miles and miles of lakes framed by trees of every colour and discription. The cry of the loon as the rising sun attempted to burn off the morning mist. The beauty, the solitude!

In later years the natural progression of the love affair with my country lead to wildermess canoeing. Other than the "song of the paddle" what better soundtrack to this adventure existed than Gordon's heartfelt compositions.

For years I felt that the songs were written exclusively for me and this land!

Ashamed to admit that the next album I got around to buying was 1976's 'Summertime Dream'. I was staying at a friend's apartmetent in Toronto and saw it at "Sam The Record Man" on Yonge Street while "doing the town" the evening before. I was up before dawn and while the other revelers slept, I took the subway back down to "record haven" and walked out with my celophane sealed treasure.

After that there was no turning back and in "record time" I aquired what I believe to be every 33.5 rpm vinyl ever pressed with Gord's name emblazoned on it. (K-Tel included)

With the internet, I was shocked to find that there were others that were as deeply touched by
Gordon's magical gift. How could that be?? He is mine, all mine!! I always have claimed that Lightfoot'ts music is the soundtrack to my life.

But mingling with the internet people, cautiously at first, showed me that Love for Gord has no bounds as his music has no barriers. It exists for all to share and enjoy!...and what wonderful people I have met through this group!

We ARE a family, a family by choice and not bound by papers and legalities. We are not bound by age, race, political fanatacisms, nationality or any other such incumberance.

We care for the environment although we are not "tree huggers". We love our respective countries yet respect the nations we all originate from. We all admire Gord, yet he doesn't have to fear stalkers. Without any intention of lecturing us, he has educated us all. We are all better people for inviting Gord into our lives.

Hokey as it sounds, I feel that having bent over the side of my canoe and taking a long cool drink of water straight from a remote Canadian river, that water has entered my cells and in some way that river has become a part of me for all time. (perhaps there is a Native-American rationalization for such beliefs?)

In an analagous way, Gord's music has resonated throughout my soul and is part of me in no less a way than my blood and cells are. When I spin my last disk, play my last CD, decode my final MP3 etc., a part of Gord will be laid to rest with me for all of eternity, and I find that very, very omforting.

The understanding, love and respect woven through his songs has been instilled in all of us. Humbly, this group simply mirrors the gift he has given all of us, to shine back on himself.

My initial jealously in realizing that I had to share Gord's music with others has turned to joy.
The analysis, insights, discussions expressed here are a delight to share in. Priceless!

What has touched me to a depth that I cannot even begin to explain is the love, concern, prayers and well wishes I received from "Corfidians" from all over this globe during my life altering illness.

Gord was always loaded into my 'Walkman'for emotional support. The 'Get Well' cards and e-mail printouts my wife brought to my bedside with your support were invaliable in my continuing recovery. (they reside in a dedicated album to their honour)

Can anyone here imagine life without Gordon or our Corfid family??? I can't!

(p.s. My closest friend recently told me he's been a Lightfoot fan for years. Think of all the talks we could have had! Then, suprise of suprises, he finally got up the courage to reveal to me that even during those wonderful "British Invasion" years, he was a closet Frank Sinatra fan.
Face your fears - you'll find you'll have more company than cold isloation.)

Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:18 PM   #8
Peter Bro10

What draws us here is Lightfoot, the man and his music. He's head and shoulders above the rest (musians, songwriters, etc.) as has already been stated in previous posts.
What keeps me coming back to corfid is his fans. like I've said before, you reflect him. It came to me at my last concert. I had seats way off to the side on the main floor about 8 or 9 rows back. I watched not just Gord and the boys doing what they do best, but I watched the audience. I struck me that the average lightfoot fan is far more polite and courteous and such than the general public. It struck me that I didn't hear and profanity or other obnoxious behavior. In short, I liked these folks. I further occurred to me that it was as much the audience that made the "show" as much as the performers. This may be a bit of an overstatement, but not by much. These fans are as genuine as the man himself. Perhaps thats what I find so endearing.
Another curious thing since "discovering" corfid ... I find myself distinctly aware of Canada and her people as never before. I've also "met" Brits and Aussies as well, and found something unexpected and endearing as well.
Side note here, anyone familiar with Nova Scotia and can find a river call Moser River please let me know. My Grandmother (Dad's mom) her family is from there and her maiden name was Moser. A river, she said, was named after her great-grandfather. See, I have more Canadian in me that I thought. Grandma was very proud of her "roots" and spoke and wrote of her family and home... Nova Scotia.
Another thing I have observed about corfidians... we just can't stay on topic very well!!!! lol
later guys... gotta get back to work here.... (dang it!)

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #9
Peter Bro10

Amen, Yuri!
We must have been posting at the same time and your's slipped in front of mine. In any case, it's a bit scary how much alike we think! and yet respect any differences.
Best wishes, my friend, for a speedy recovery!!!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:00 PM   #10
Jesse Joe

All of the above, simply putting it, I have been worshiping this incredible man, who has always had a part in my life, since 1969.

Until this Corfid Site, I felt alone, listening to his music. Trying to find someone who felt the same way about him as I did, turned out zero.

But this site, showed me, I had a new family of Lightheads. That's why I keep coming back here.

Still to this day, I really thought, I was the only GL fan in the world. "How wrong," because the guy has travelled all around this world, touching thousands like me, who were out there waiting for his magical gift, to be discovered.

Ive said it before and I will say it again, no other entertainer has done that to me, since or ever. And I do have other favourites.

Music is such a wonderful gift, that can make ones ego, to be so out of touch, with his, or her fans.

Gordon still acts as if he had no special gift at all.

The late great Peter Gzowski, once told him ,"Your annual pilgrimage at Massey-Hall, where people worship you, it's more than an evening."

Gordon looked down at the floor,seemed embarassed a bit, then looked at Peter and said, " We worshipped them."

Nothing else has to be said here... What a guy! "POET GENIUS EXTRAORDINAIRE."
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:00 PM   #11
Jesse Joe

All of the above, simply putting it, I have been worshiping this incredible man, who has always had a part in my life, since 1969.

Until this Corfid Site, I felt alone, listening to his music. Trying to find someone who felt the same way about him as I did, turned out zero.

But this site, showed me, I had a new family of Lightheads. That's why I keep coming back here.

Still to this day, I really thought, I was the only GL fan in the world. "How wrong," because the guy has travelled all around this world, touching thousands like me, who were out there waiting for his magical gift, to be discovered.

Ive said it before and I will say it again, no other entertainer has done that to me, since or ever. And I do have other favourites.

Music is such a wonderful gift, that can make ones ego, to be so out of touch, with his, or her fans.

Gordon still acts as if he had no special gift at all.

The late great Peter Gzowski, once told him ,"Your annual pilgrimage at Massey-Hall, where people worship you, it's more than an evening."

Gordon looked down at the floor,seemed embarassed a bit, then looked at Peter and said, " We worshipped them."

Nothing else has to be said here... What a guy! "POET GENIUS EXTRAORDINAIRE."
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:15 PM   #12
Borderstone

Hey Walls,check out my topic,"A Look at Life from G. Lightfoots Fans". It sort of answers your question.
(I can't believe it's been 3 & 1/2 years since I posted it! )

You kind of answred your own queston about "why Gordon?" Lightfoots music has touched all of us in a way that we can't help but love it! Being from the great lakes in N.W. PA myself,the music just speaks of that land/area.

Orillia is only miles from the lakes,New York State & PA,so it's almost the same. He's from a small town and so am I. No matter how long I live anywhere else!

The people here and my ability to be creative on these threads has also kept me coming back (although really,I never have left! ) When folks have given me positive feedback on things like my topics,my humor,my lists and opinions,it really got me out of my shell. :D

I thank them so much for that.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:17 PM   #13
New 12 String Mike

I've said it here before, quoting Sunday Concert's liner notes, "Early Morning Lightfoot, scraping my head clear..."

That says a lot there. I, like so many of you, can tie a Gord song to an event in my life, when what he wrote and sang, got me through it, made it more enjoyable, helped me help someone else, etc., by bringing me back into focus and realizing that it will get better and then worse, then better again.

Other songwriters click with me with a song or two, but nowhere as often, or as consistently as Gord has.

Then, of course, there's the guitar playing. I suppose if I'd worked as many of others writers' stuff as I have Gord's songs, I might have caught some musical patterns in their work as well as his. But while there are similar things musically, there's also lots of variety that keeps it interesting to play.

I'm not Canadian. I'm not from around the lakes. I'm from Virginia. Which just shows that his music does reach out.

And I enjoy stopping by here and just catching up.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:32 AM   #14
RM

I really have no idea. It's just "there", soft and warm, wherever "there" may be. His music has no special links to any particular time in my life, it's just interwoven throughout it.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:40 PM   #15
Gitchigumee

You guys have said it all. Nothing for me to add, other than that my 12-yr-old daughter is fast becoming a Lightfoot fan. She recognizes his songs now when she hears them on the radio, shopping mall, or wherever they are being played (dare I say elevator?), and she knows how special he is to me. Instilling in her the love for Gord's music is my own small way of making sure his music keeps going on and on... The sheer volume of his work is mind boggling. His songs are so, for lack of a better word, different. No two are the same. And there are so many of them! I have been listening to Harmony alot of the past couple of days, and I absolutely love it. It's truly a toss-up now for me when I choose between the old stuff and the new stuff, because I love them both. I pray that Gord will continue to write and record music for many, many years to come. And as far as Corfid, there is just something comforting in sharing with people who feel the same way about something as intimate as our love for Gord and his music, that keeps me coming back. Since I've found this website, I've been given opportunities to view videos, read interviews, and learn more about the man and music which has been such a huge part of who I am. Just like Gord's music, coming to this website is an escape into a whole other, wonderful world.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote