banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
charlene

Default Best pics of 2012-Toronto Star

http://thestar.blogs.com/photoblog/2...avourites.html

scroll thru...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
loveabiggibson

Default Re: Best pics of 2012-Toronto Star

Great shot!!!!
loveabiggibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Can anyone make out the words in the picture frame behind Gord's shoulder? (Is it a song list?)
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
charlene

It's 17 albums.
1. Lightfoot
2. The Way I Feel
3. Did She Mention My Name
4. Back Here On Earth
5. Sunday Concert
6. If You Could Read My Mind
7. Summer Side Of Life
8. Don Quixote
9. Old Dan's Records
10.Sundown
11.Cold On The Shoulder
12.Gord's Gold
13.Summertime Dream
14.Endless Wire
15.Dream Street Rose
16.Shadows
17.Salute
Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #5
jj

i think the fella in the frame above Gord's shoulder is Albert Grossman

or perhaps Sam (the record man) Sniderman ...or maybe it's Shopsowitz
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
lighthead2toe

"One picture is worth a thousand words;" and many other revelations as this classic photo proves.

"If It Should Please You," "May I?"

I think you're right on the mark there JJ with fella in the frame being Albert Grossman.
At first I thought it might have been Gord's artist friend, Robert Markle, but I recall seeing an image of Albert Grossman on the inside cover of Gord's "Sunday Concert" album, and it's him.

It's interesting that Albert Grossman wore checkered type jackets as did that other "Albert" guy by the name "Einstein."

Just below the Grossman pic there is a round orange and black badge type item on the wall which also is similar to the two round orange and black items on the drapery track.

I thought at first it might have been the image of a round type item Gord had stuck on his twelve string guitar in the early days but it isn't.
The one on the guitar is quite visible on page 24 in the "Don Quixote" songbook and it's an image of a guy with dark glasses wearing a cowboy hat with the name "nudie" at the bottom. There are probably other images on the jackets of his albums as well. Unfortunately mine are all still in storage.
Let the mystery be.

It's cool to see the subtle image if his "Fender" amp there in the background.

Now onto the guitars.
This is the very first image I saw of a Gord Gibson B 45 without the "Mother of Pearl" inlaid on the headstock.
The one he's holding has it but the one in the corner does not. Most interesting as I have one that has, and another that hasn't as well.
The difference is mine is smaller with 18 frets and the one showing has here has 20 frets.

I shall return with part two asap.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
charlene

I don't know if Grossman was ever that heavy..??? seems like it could be Markle??

The metal drapery piece that holds the rod in place is different than the wall decoration that looks like a paper decal.

http://theband.hiof.no/articles/agg_...june_1987.html

http://theculturesource.blogspot.ca/...g-blazing.html
Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
lighthead2toe

Back again folks with apologies for the disruption. I was on a roll there too. Just wanted to sort of "jump start" the New Year with a little banter. Oh well.

An unexpected family event cropped up as they sometimes do......

I remember a quote from a book I once read.
It think it was by a writer called Saul Alinsky. He said he believed in birth control from the first time he met his relatives.....

Ok, back to the topic at hand and Char's point now has set me in the direction of that storage shed where I have to go and take a good look at that pic of Albert Grossman on the jacket cover of the Sunday Concert album.
Markle definitely was a heavier guy.

The part two focus now goes to the wall unit.
Gotta love those dark rich wooden choices.
And the chairs. No arms on the chairs. Guitar players are most insistent on having chairs without arms. Arms just get in the way and are a distraction. Makes sense!

Now if any morning light gets to steal across that window pane it will be very minimal, hence the reason "current running small print items" such as CD's would be placed close to the window. Us old guys need our light!
Non current, but readily available items are stored it the cardboard boxes on the top shelf.
The shelf below the top seems to be the "current video collection" and the one below seems to show a pair of binoculars.
I always love to look with my binoculars to try and identify birds out there "twitterin' in the trees."
Now this is something I hope will get some feed back going:

On the shelf with all the cassettes, just to the right of the two piles, in that "yellow color box" do I see the "Songbook" collection? I think I can even see the bar code in a sort of "white" shade on the box. Anyone with the "Songbook Collection" please check this. Thanks.

Am I running up a thousand words or more at this point?

The other partition of the bookcase is more sparse and stores books which seem to be strategcally placed on a high shelf.

That guy knows his comfort zone well.

A great picture it is and thanks guys.

For some weird reason, I need to hear "Face of a Thousand People." Now!

Best to all.

RJ.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

What I wonder about, is the file boxes up top. Can you imagine.. if that is all the original handwritten songs that Gordon wrote... or maybe it is all the contracts for performances, or maybe it is just some old clippings from past events. Could be some real great history in those boxes.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
charlene

could be set lists from over the years....
Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
loveabiggibson

The 12-string in the corner is a B-25-12, the little brother to the big B-45-12s that we're all familiar with. I've seen that guitar in a couple of other shots of Gord's room, so maybe it's his "house 12-string" when his sunbursts are traveling.

They sound a lot like the B-45s. I wonder if he ever recorded with it?

I believe Gord had a circular sticker on his original B-45-12N, the natural-topped guitar, of Nudie, the famous LA-based clothing designer who made all the cowboy suits for country stars, rockers and actors. He's actually still around, and is active on Facebook.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
charlene

Nudie died in 1984...seems his wife and granddaughter are still keeping the business going...http://www.nudiesrodeotailor.com/
Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
loveabiggibson

Good find. I figured he'd be pretty old...!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
lighthead2toe

Big thanks guys for the "Magnicifant Outpouring" of information.

To ask a question about Gord's guitars and receive a reply from a member with a name "loveabiggibson" is pretty cool. I guess I came to the right party here!

Interesting for me though that it is a B25, as I always thought Gord collected only B45's.

I've never had the opportunity to play a B25 but now I'm going on the hunt for one. It will be part of my New Year's project.

After some research from the "nudie" information it's clear now that Gord would not just stick a photo of someone on his guitar it it didn't have some special significance.

It turns out that Nuta Kotlyarenko's parents sent him and his brother to the USA at a young age to escape the tyranny that was prevalent in his home territory in Ukraine at the time and give them a better chance at life.

"Nudie," as he was nicknamed turned out to but quite a controversial and hugely successful guy. He would cover the face of George Washington on the US dollar with his own sticker.

Guess now a "nudie" sticker will be included in the hunt for yet another memorable part of my ever expanding GL collection.