banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Having been away for a few weeks
I had missed checking ebay and have now done so and here is a report on 304 of the auctions that I missed;plus amongst current offerings I found in particular an interesting single

Note the Warner Bros Seven Arts record label
quite possibly therefore the first appearance by ord on WB???
the flipside is allegedly Go My Way
I found it doubly interesting because although Flanagan's cover of one of my major GL favourites Spin Spin is included in Waynes comprehensive listing at:-http://www.lightfoot.ca/covsong.htm
Go My Way another firm favourite isn't
Also interesting because Spin Spin was a hit back in 1966 and Go My way was not released on an album until 1971's Summer Side Of Life (I clearly recall hearing it live at a concert in a Jim Nasium at Montreal's McGill University in 1969)
My contention is that surely a cover version of Spin Spin would have been recorded and issued nearer to 1966 than 1971 hence Flanagan might well have released Go My Way before Gord's version came out???
However the picture of the single does not indicate the release year
and I have no idea who Flanagan is was or were
and google searches were absolutely no help
"absolutely" is my current "in" word
because I noted that Australians use it at every possible opportunity
Anyway I am sufficiently intrigued to have bid on it so keep off!!
If I win I will report back on how I find this cover
I also noted that an Idaho profiteer has sold at least two copies of a rare CD version of the Two Tones album at the "Buy It Now" price of only $12.00
Presumably this is a rather unauthorised rip from the vinyl that he/she is now mass producing!!
It is the extended "Plus" version which includes the single Lessons in Love/Sweet Polly.

Which reminds me that I have recently seen a rare B and W clip of the Two Tones singing "MaryAnn: (not on the LP) albeit they are introduced as the Two Timers!!

I also noted an ended auction for copy of the Canadian Talent Library LP
in which our Jenney and another avid GL Ebay bidder (Dave Palmer) were both outbid

Appropriately considering where we have just been there was a genuine Aussie pressing of "Summertime Dream" being sold from Melbourne of all places

[ May 22, 2007, 14:20: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
johnfowles

Having been away for a few weeks
I had missed checking ebay and have now done so and here is a report on 304 of the auctions that I missed;plus amongst current offerings I found in particular an interesting single

Note the Warner Bros Seven Arts record label
quite possibly therefore the first appearance by ord on WB???
the flipside is allegedly Go My Way
I found it doubly interesting because although Flanagan's cover of one of my major GL favourites Spin Spin is included in Waynes comprehensive listing at:-http://www.lightfoot.ca/covsong.htm
Go My Way another firm favourite isn't
Also interesting because Spin Spin was a hit back in 1966 and Go My way was not released on an album until 1971's Summer Side Of Life (I clearly recall hearing it live at a concert in a Jim Nasium at Montreal's McGill University in 1969)
My contention is that surely a cover version of Spin Spin would have been recorded and issued nearer to 1966 than 1971 hence Flanagan might well have released Go My Way before Gord's version came out???
However the picture of the single does not indicate the release year
and I have no idea who Flanagan is was or were
and google searches were absolutely no help
"absolutely" is my current "in" word
because I noted that Australians use it at every possible opportunity
Anyway I am sufficiently intrigued to have bid on it so keep off!!
If I win I will report back on how I find this cover
I also noted that an Idaho profiteer has sold at least two copies of a rare CD version of the Two Tones album at the "Buy It Now" price of only $12.00
Presumably this is a rather unauthorised rip from the vinyl that he/she is now mass producing!!
It is the extended "Plus" version which includes the single Lessons in Love/Sweet Polly.

Which reminds me that I have recently seen a rare B and W clip of the Two Tones singing "MaryAnn: (not on the LP) albeit they are introduced as the Two Timers!!

I also noted an ended auction for copy of the Canadian Talent Library LP
in which our Jenney and another avid GL Ebay bidder (Dave Palmer) were both outbid

Appropriately considering where we have just been there was a genuine Aussie pressing of "Summertime Dream" being sold from Melbourne of all places

[ May 22, 2007, 14:20: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 05-22-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
Borderstone

A "Spin-Spin" 45??!! Gimmie gimmie!! :D
Old 05-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
Not on your Nellie walter
Apologies to anybody reading this named Nellie of course
If I win it's all mine
go and find your own!!
further to my report above I have just spotted yet another rarity that has been added to the current listing of completed auctions since I started my initial posting.It is an LP that I personally had never seen before allegedly called "This Is Lightfoot"

it is yet another United Artists regurgitation this time by UA Germany of selected tracks from the 5 UA albums
But this time as evidenced by "In a windopane" (sic) including some from Sunday Concert

I consider that side three should have been retitled "This is the quintessential Lightfoot:"!!
As you can see this is actually a 2 LP set comprising the entire Lightfoot! and Sunday Concert albums, wheras most of the plethora of UA compilation LPs were a selection from the first four albums only

tht auction ended earlier today without a single bid!!!

[ May 22, 2007, 15:03: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 05-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
Not on your Nellie walter
Apologies to anybody reading this named Nellie of course
If I win it's all mine
go and find your own!!
further to my report above I have just spotted yet another rarity that has been added to the current listing of completed auctions since I started my initial posting.It is an LP that I personally had never seen before allegedly called "This Is Lightfoot"

it is yet another United Artists regurgitation this time by UA Germany of selected tracks from the 5 UA albums
But this time as evidenced by "In a windopane" (sic) including some from Sunday Concert

I consider that side three should have been retitled "This is the quintessential Lightfoot:"!!
As you can see this is actually a 2 LP set comprising the entire Lightfoot! and Sunday Concert albums, wheras most of the plethora of UA compilation LPs were a selection from the first four albums only

tht auction ended earlier today without a single bid!!!

[ May 22, 2007, 15:03: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 05-22-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
Germany76

John, I own this double album and it is in fact called as statet.It´s brown with an allover guitar print and that beautiful picture of GL holding/sniffing a flower in the middle of the cover. It was the first album that I bought in the early 70s. And this is sure not the only rason for treasuring it. Vera
Germany76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
Germany76

Very funny .I swear, those pictures were not on my screen when I postet my description. Now after going back to the site-here they are. Would have saved me some trouble. Anyway. V.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
Germany76

P.S. Is Nellie Walter rhyming slang or am I mssing out on something else?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
Jesse Joe

This pic looks familiar to me John...
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
Jesse Joe

This pic looks familiar to me John...
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:42 PM   #11
joveski

'not on your nellie' is a slang way of simply No.

borderstone (who's name's Walter) said gimmie gimmie about the spin spin 45 and john said No
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #12
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Germany76:
very close Vera
I actually said Nellie and Walter as two separate items (Walter being the name of our revered friend here borderstone)
and not on your Nellie is a bit of UK slang
I have now googled and found
http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/n.htm
where I read "nellie"
Noun. 1. An effeminate or homosexual male. Derog.
2. A feeble, soft person. Derog.
* Also spelt nelly.
(dicsclaimer in no way did I mean to infer that Mr Stone Border was any of those derog though he may be!!!)
nor was I inferring anything about the expression immediately above Nellie which is
needle dick
That page confirms the general rule that if you do not know what a word means such as "ninny" it is probably yet another word for an idiot
Although quite a few on that particular listing are euphonisms for effeminate personages example nancy
and that page also told me:-
not on your Nellie!
Exclam. No way! Not on your life! A shortening of the rhyming slang not on your nellie duff, where nellie duff rhymes on puff which refers to life, hence not on your life. [1940s]
rathr a convoluted association methinks but then those Cockney folk are wonderfully inventive people!!!

[ May 22, 2007, 18:04: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 05-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #13
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Germany76:
very close Vera
I actually said Nellie and Walter as two separate items (Walter being the name of our revered friend here borderstone)
where I read "nellie"
* Also spelt nelly.
(dicsclaimer in no way did I mean to infer that Mr Stone Border was any of those derog though he may be!!!)
nor was I inferring anything about the expression immediately above Nellie which is
needle dick
That page confirms the general rule that if you do not know what a word means such as "ninny" it is probably yet another word for an idiot
Although quite a few on that particular listing are euphonisms for effeminate personages example nancy
not on your Nellie!
Exclam. No way! Not on your life! A shortening of the rhyming slang not on your nellie duff, where nellie duff rhymes on puff which refers to life, hence not on your life. [1940s]
rathr a convoluted association methinks but then those Cockney folk are wonderfully inventive people!!!

[ May 22, 2007, 18:04: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 05-22-2007, 08:43 PM   #14
2Much2Lose

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfowles:
quote:Originally posted by Germany76:
very close Vera
where I read "nellie"
* Also spelt nelly.
needle dick
not on your Nellie!
[/QUOTE]Yep, John's home!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:43 PM   #15
Jenney

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Germany76:
very close Vera
where I read "nellie"
* Also spelt nelly.
needle dick
not on your Nellie!
[/QUOTE]Yep, John's home!
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #16
charlene

:0

lololol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #17
charlene

:0

lololol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:01 PM   #18
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenney:
Yep, John's home!
So....I take it you guys have arthritis in your index finger also ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:49 AM   #19
Germany76

Thank you all for the explanations. Always eager to learn something new. Vera
Old 05-23-2007, 10:02 AM   #20
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by timetraveler:
She's not too wild about his(Lightfoots)music, but that's her loss.
Tut tut TT you obviously have not trained your mother very well, in my case I managed to make my own dear late mother into something of a fan and she was very well aware of my avid interest in anything to do with Gordon, indeed many years ago she telephoned me one Sunday to tell me that she had spotted in the BBC Radio Times that there was a film called "Wanted Dead or alive"*** on television that afternoon and she had noted that the cast list included Gordon, which I was able to video tape and of course it turned out to the famous "Harry Tracy". ( or " H T Desperado", or "Last of the Wild Bunch" call it what you like it is all aboot HarryTracy!!)
In addition, of course, my very dear mother-in-law, Joan, was converted into a staunch lighthead by Susan and is sometimes known as "mama gordlover" and has accompanied us to a growing number of concerts includingToronto in 2005 and 2006
***Reminds me in an earlier topic at:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...=001860#000013
I said
"I have just rediscovered an old (Betamax) video cassette onto which I had copied from the original VHS tape all the scenes with Gord in from the film that was called "Wanted Dead or alive" when I saw and recorded it from BBC television a number of years ago. and my memory was correct.In the early scene where Harry Tracy and his idiot sidesman dug a hole in front of Morrie's outside loo then wait for him to come out whereupon he fell into it, In my old recording Gord very clearly says "Oh Shit"!! but this has been cut from the version recently issued on DVD. It is some small consolation for the UK version completely omitting the two instances of Gord singing "My Love For You" plus the omission of it in the closing credits.
Very strange
John Fowles"

Quote:
Originally posted by RMD:
quote:Originally posted by Jenney:
Yep, John's home!
So....I take it you guys have arthritis in your index finger also ? [/QUOTE]Err Umm I really have no idea what you mean by that Ron. I do know that I hope I never get arthritis in my right hand index finger as since my stroke in 2000 a dropped left shoulder has reduced my previous left handed capabilities so I have to do everything with my right hand Including typing with that hand's index finger. However relief is now literally at hand, or mouth rather in the form of the simply brilliant IBM ViaVoice Voice Recognition programme that I am at this very moment using to dictate this reply

a scan of my earlier version's box
which I can thoroughly recommend having just bought version 10 at the very advantageous price of only $29.99 from:-
http://www.pricecastle.com/ibmviavoice.html
rather less than the £99.99 (say $200) that my company forked out for a much earlier version in 1999
and the $29.99 offer although it arrived in a plain clear plastic bag did include the free headset . Unbelievable value.If anybody would like more details do send me a Private Message
John Fowles Bt
Old 05-23-2007, 10:02 AM   #21
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by timetraveler:
She's not too wild about his(Lightfoots)music, but that's her loss.
Tut tut TT you obviously have not trained your mother very well, in my case I managed to make my own dear late mother into something of a fan and she was very well aware of my avid interest in anything to do with Gordon, indeed many years ago she telephoned me one Sunday to tell me that she had spotted in the BBC Radio Times that there was a film called "Wanted Dead or alive"*** on television that afternoon and she had noted that the cast list included Gordon, which I was able to video tape and of course it turned out to the famous "Harry Tracy". ( or " H T Desperado", or "Last of the Wild Bunch" call it what you like it is all aboot HarryTracy!!)
In addition, of course, my very dear mother-in-law, Joan, was converted into a staunch lighthead by Susan and is sometimes known as "mama gordlover" and has accompanied us to a growing number of concerts includingToronto in 2005 and 2006
***Reminds me in an earlier topic at:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...=001860#000013
I said
"I have just rediscovered an old (Betamax) video cassette onto which I had copied from the original VHS tape all the scenes with Gord in from the film that was called "Wanted Dead or alive" when I saw and recorded it from BBC television a number of years ago. and my memory was correct.In the early scene where Harry Tracy and his idiot sidesman dug a hole in front of Morrie's outside loo then wait for him to come out whereupon he fell into it, In my old recording Gord very clearly says "Oh Shit"!! but this has been cut from the version recently issued on DVD. It is some small consolation for the UK version completely omitting the two instances of Gord singing "My Love For You" plus the omission of it in the closing credits.
Very strange
John Fowles"

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jenney:
Yep, John's home!
So....I take it you guys have arthritis in your index finger also ? [/QUOTE]Err Umm I really have no idea what you mean by that Ron. I do know that I hope I never get arthritis in my right hand index finger as since my stroke in 2000 a dropped left shoulder has reduced my previous left handed capabilities so I have to do everything with my right hand Including typing with that hand's index finger. However relief is now literally at hand, or mouth rather in the form of the simply brilliant IBM ViaVoice Voice Recognition programme that I am at this very moment using to dictate this reply

a scan of my earlier version's box
which I can thoroughly recommend having just bought version 10 at the very advantageous price of only $29.99 from:-
http://www.pricecastle.com/ibmviavoice.html
rather less than the £99.99 (say $200) that my company forked out for a much earlier version in 1999
and the $29.99 offer although it arrived in a plain clear plastic bag did include the free headset . Unbelievable value.If anybody would like more details do send me a Private Message
John Fowles Bt
Old 05-23-2007, 11:07 AM   #22
johnfowles

[quote]Originally posted by johnfowles:
Quote:
"

not on your Nellie!
In retrospect I am amazed that nobody asked who Nellie Duff was when she was at home or when away for that matter
Th obvious thrite answer has to be "Hilary's Mother or great greast.. grandmother"
I was curious myself so I googled as is my wantI
and found:-
http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/nellie.htm
where I failed to find out who this lady was but I did read:-
"a piece of London-based rhyming slang: “Nellie” = “Nellie Duff” = “puff”. There was certainly an older slang phrase in existence: not on your puff, meaning “not on your life; never” in which “puff” means “breath” and so “breath of life” and so life itself"
more googling led to
http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question72327.html
where I was informed
"Another curious expression my father used back in the 1940s was not on your Nellie, which some authorities think had been imported from the USA about ten years beforehand"
and
"I found a bit more information. It is a truncated expression that meant "not likely" because it was based on the traditional song "Nelly the Elephant" and the full phrase was an expression about being about as likely as riding into town on somebody else's elephant."
Intriguingly I also found
http://www.hhpl.on.ca/GreatLakes/Wre...s.asp?ID=19729

which contains this Gord related news from 1895
"SCHOONER AND CREW LOST.
The Schooner NELLIE DUFF Foundered Off Lorain, O., Last Night--One man Rescued.
Lorain, Oct. 14. - The schooner NELLIE DUFF foundered two miles off this port last night. The captain and two men were drowned. One man was rescued. "
and
"The schooner NELLIE DUFF, hailing from Detroit and bound from Pelee Island to Cleveland, loaded with gravel"
Which sounds a trifle familiar!!!
perhaps our resident bard Walter could compose an epic song about that "wreck"
More details to flesh out the tale are on:-
http://www.boatnerd.com/swayze/shipwreck/d.htm
NELLIE DUFF
Other names : none
Official no. : 130334
Type at loss : schooner, wood
Build info : 1885, Port Clinton, OH
Specs : 77x20x6 54g 51n
Date of loss : 1895, Oct 14
Place of loss : near Lorain, OH
Lake : Erie
Type of loss : storm
Loss of life : 3 of 4
Carrying : gravel
Detail : Cargo shifted in heavy seas while she was trying to make port at Lorain in a gale. She sank two miles out when she turned aside to make way for another distressed vessel. By the last day of the year she had disappeared completely.
NELLIE A DUFF, C.B.BENSON and KATE WINSLOW, all schooners owned by the Duff family all were lost on Oct 14, but in different years.
Sources: nsp,is,h,mv,ledc,wb,hgl
Note the Lake it sank on
To help/inspire you I googled for
"what was the indian name for lake erie"
and found
"Dear Twig: Where does the "Erie" part of Lake Erie come from?

A long time ago, around 1600 or so, an Indian nation lived, farmed and hunted on the south shore of Lake Erie. Except it wasn't called Lake Erie then.

The nation was called Erielhonan -- "long tail," or "People of the Panther," a reference to the cougars (aka pumas, panthers, mountain lions) of the region. Sometimes the people wore cougar pelts."
not quite as sonorous as Gitche whatsit I admit!!

[ May 23, 2007, 11:37: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 05-23-2007, 11:07 AM   #23
johnfowles

[quote]Originally posted by johnfowles:
Quote:
"

not on your Nellie!
In retrospect I am amazed that nobody asked who Nellie Duff was when she was at home or when away for that matter
Th obvious thrite answer has to be "Hilary's Mother or great greast.. grandmother"
I was curious myself so I googled as is my wantI
and found:-
http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/nellie.htm
where I failed to find out who this lady was but I did read:-
"a piece of London-based rhyming slang: “Nellie” = “Nellie Duff” = “puff”. There was certainly an older slang phrase in existence: not on your puff, meaning “not on your life; never” in which “puff” means “breath” and so “breath of life” and so life itself"
more googling led to
http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question72327.html
where I was informed
"Another curious expression my father used back in the 1940s was not on your Nellie, which some authorities think had been imported from the USA about ten years beforehand"
and
"I found a bit more information. It is a truncated expression that meant "not likely" because it was based on the traditional song "Nelly the Elephant" and the full phrase was an expression about being about as likely as riding into town on somebody else's elephant."
Intriguingly I also found
http://www.hhpl.on.ca/GreatLakes/Wre...s.asp?ID=19729

which contains this Gord related news from 1895
"SCHOONER AND CREW LOST.
The Schooner NELLIE DUFF Foundered Off Lorain, O., Last Night--One man Rescued.
Lorain, Oct. 14. - The schooner NELLIE DUFF foundered two miles off this port last night. The captain and two men were drowned. One man was rescued. "
and
"The schooner NELLIE DUFF, hailing from Detroit and bound from Pelee Island to Cleveland, loaded with gravel"
Which sounds a trifle familiar!!!
perhaps our resident bard Walter could compose an epic song about that "wreck"
More details to flesh out the tale are on:-
http://www.boatnerd.com/swayze/shipwreck/d.htm
NELLIE DUFF
Other names : none
Official no. : 130334
Type at loss : schooner, wood
Build info : 1885, Port Clinton, OH
Specs : 77x20x6 54g 51n
Date of loss : 1895, Oct 14
Place of loss : near Lorain, OH
Lake : Erie
Type of loss : storm
Loss of life : 3 of 4
Carrying : gravel
Detail : Cargo shifted in heavy seas while she was trying to make port at Lorain in a gale. She sank two miles out when she turned aside to make way for another distressed vessel. By the last day of the year she had disappeared completely.
NELLIE A DUFF, C.B.BENSON and KATE WINSLOW, all schooners owned by the Duff family all were lost on Oct 14, but in different years.
Sources: nsp,is,h,mv,ledc,wb,hgl
Note the Lake it sank on
To help/inspire you I googled for
"what was the indian name for lake erie"
and found
"Dear Twig: Where does the "Erie" part of Lake Erie come from?

A long time ago, around 1600 or so, an Indian nation lived, farmed and hunted on the south shore of Lake Erie. Except it wasn't called Lake Erie then.

The nation was called Erielhonan -- "long tail," or "People of the Panther," a reference to the cougars (aka pumas, panthers, mountain lions) of the region. Sometimes the people wore cougar pelts."
not quite as sonorous as Gitche whatsit I admit!!

[ May 23, 2007, 11:37: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 05-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #24
RM

Quote:
quote:
quote:Originally posted by RMD:
:
Yep, John's home!
So....I take it you guys have arthritis in your index finger also ? [/QUOTE]Err Umm I really have no idea what you mean by that Ron. [/QUOTE]It was 95% in jest. The site wouldn't be the same without you, so don't change. I was referring to the prolonged scrolling needed to get to the latest posting. I apologize if it came across as offensive.

[ May 23, 2007, 13:23: Message edited by: RMD ]
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:54 PM   #25
2Much2Lose

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johnfowles:
quote:
quote:Originally posted by RMD:
:
Yep, John's home!
So....I take it you guys have arthritis in your index finger also ? [/QUOTE]Err Umm I really have no idea what you mean by that Ron. [/QUOTE]It was 95% in jest. The site wouldn't be the same without you, so don't change. I was referring to the prolonged scrolling needed to get to the latest posting. I apologize if it came across as offensive. [/QUOTE]Ok,now I get it! I was actually thinking that yes indeed I do have arthritis in my right index finger, but couldn't figure out how you knew that!