banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-23-2004, 03:46 PM   #26
Kilgore

Affair on 8th Avenye and If I Could are a couple of my personal favorites that I think work well in that setting
Kilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:10 PM   #27
Rosanna

MM,

Okay, I'm now in suspense! Looking forward
to hearing how and what you did. I
might personally recommend "The Wherefore
and the Why". Why not throw a real nice
feel good tune at them. Whatever you decide,
I'm sure you'l kick some *"#!*
Good luck
Rosanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:10 PM   #28
Doug Letcher

MM,

Okay, I'm now in suspense! Looking forward
to hearing how and what you did. I
might personally recommend "The Wherefore
and the Why". Why not throw a real nice
feel good tune at them. Whatever you decide,
I'm sure you'l kick some *"#!*
Good luck
Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:20 PM   #29
Cubfan64

Canadian Railroad Trilogy was the first song I ever performed in front of an audience, at an open mic night some eight years ago. It went over very well.

Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald gets a lot of requests, but as a solo guitarist in the absence of other instrumentation, you really have to keep it interesting by interspersing some fingerpicking (or other variation) with the strums. Otherwise, it can become a little monotonous for the listener to just hear the same four chords strummed repeatedly for 7 minutes. I used to play it more frequently, but now I usually just wait until someone specifically requests it.

I have also had good audience response with Boss Man, Don Quixote, Did She Mention My Name and I'm Not Sayin' (the full version, not the medley). However, the one that seems to ALWAYS go over is If You Could Read My Mind. I did that for nearly every open mic night and continued to play it after I started playing the local taverns and restaurants. If you can infuse that recognizable melody line - especially with the sixths on the instrumental part - it sounds great.

Personally, I prefer to do the more obscure Gord songs, but they're less popular because most audiences have never heard them. So you have to strike a balance between pleasing the crowd and playing what feels good to you.

Good luck!
Dan

[This message has been edited by The Intended (edited March 23, 2004).]
Cubfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:20 PM   #30
The Intended

Canadian Railroad Trilogy was the first song I ever performed in front of an audience, at an open mic night some eight years ago. It went over very well.

Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald gets a lot of requests, but as a solo guitarist in the absence of other instrumentation, you really have to keep it interesting by interspersing some fingerpicking (or other variation) with the strums. Otherwise, it can become a little monotonous for the listener to just hear the same four chords strummed repeatedly for 7 minutes. I used to play it more frequently, but now I usually just wait until someone specifically requests it.

I have also had good audience response with Boss Man, Don Quixote, Did She Mention My Name and I'm Not Sayin' (the full version, not the medley). However, the one that seems to ALWAYS go over is If You Could Read My Mind. I did that for nearly every open mic night and continued to play it after I started playing the local taverns and restaurants. If you can infuse that recognizable melody line - especially with the sixths on the instrumental part - it sounds great.

Personally, I prefer to do the more obscure Gord songs, but they're less popular because most audiences have never heard them. So you have to strike a balance between pleasing the crowd and playing what feels good to you.

Good luck!
Dan

[This message has been edited by The Intended (edited March 23, 2004).]
The Intended is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 08:59 PM   #31
srodts-palenik

minstrel man,

i could name the entire GL catalog but i won't.

please keep us up dated on your performance plans.

regards,

ambrose

srodts-palenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 08:59 PM   #32
ambrose

minstrel man,

i could name the entire GL catalog but i won't.

please keep us up dated on your performance plans.

regards,

ambrose

ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 11:25 PM   #33
Minstrel Man

Hey The Intended:

Thanks so much for your specific comments. It sounds like you have already attempted what I am planning. It is good to hear of your experiences with various songs. IYCRMM is a song that I was going to play for the very reason you suggested. I figured that people enjoy songs that they recognize. I thought that perhaps I could catch the audience's attention with IYCRMM and once they are listening, eventually try out one or two of my own songs. Problem is that IYCRMM is not one of my favourite songs to play. Nothing wrong with it, its just that I like the songs with a more lilting picking style (i.e. Don Quiote). From what you've said, I should stop wavering and be sure to include it. Thanks for your comments about the other songs as well. I already figured that Edmund Fitzgerald would not be one of the songs I'd play. I really enjoy playing Shadows, but I think there are other songs that are more accessible. As I've said before, I'll be sure to post my story when I take the plunge and sing for the house. Until then, enjoy Inspiration Lady!

Minstrel Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 10:01 AM   #34
CoryM

Minstrel Man : Spring is upon us, therefore, more uplifting songs may be appropriate. The last thing anyone is going to want to hear after the long winter, is Song For A Winter's Night...Definately strike that one off the list! Maybe Songs like... Wherefore and the Why...Summertime Dream. You could email if you like, and tell me where and when you are playing in Hamilton, and I might make the journey from Niagara Falls Ont.

------------------
knightmoves
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 10:01 AM   #35
knightmoves

Minstrel Man : Spring is upon us, therefore, more uplifting songs may be appropriate. The last thing anyone is going to want to hear after the long winter, is Song For A Winter's Night...Definately strike that one off the list! Maybe Songs like... Wherefore and the Why...Summertime Dream. You could email if you like, and tell me where and when you are playing in Hamilton, and I might make the journey from Niagara Falls Ont.

------------------
knightmoves
knightmoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 10:21 AM   #36
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

quote:Originally posted by knightmoves:
Spring is upon us, therefore, more uplifting songs may be appropriate. The last thing anyone is going to want to hear after the long winter, is Song For A Winter's Night...Definately strike that one off the list!

Sorry, but I disagree. And Gord would disagree too. Remember, he wrote the song during a thunderstorm in July and he includes it in almost every concert. In fact, he generally doesn't tour during the worst of the winter season. SFAWN is one of his very best songs; if you can do it well, it should be high up among your choices.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my GL fan site at gordonlightfoot.com and Cathy Cowette's web site at cathycowette.com

[This message has been edited by vlmagee (edited March 25, 2004).]
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 10:27 AM   #37
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

quote:Originally posted by Minstrel Man:
Hey The Intended:

IYCRMM is a song that I was going to play for the very reason you suggested. I figured that people enjoy songs that they recognize. I thought that perhaps I could catch the audience's attention with IYCRMM and once they are listening, eventually try out one or two of my own songs. Problem is that IYCRMM is not one of my favourite songs to play. Nothing wrong with it, its just that I like the songs with a more lilting picking style (i.e. Don Quiote).

Cathy Cowette recently wrote down the tab for IYCRMM for the way she plays it; you might want to ask her for a copy. She combines the rhythm part with some elements of the lead including the familiar riff, making the song sound more like the original and probably making it a bit more interesting to play. (But I don't disagree with you regarding the appeal of DQ).

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my GL fan site at gordonlightfoot.com and Cathy Cowette's web site at cathycowette.com
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 09:32 PM   #38
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by vlmagee:
Cathy Cowette recently wrote down the tab for IYCRMM for the way she plays it; you might want to ask her for a copy. She combines the rhythm part with some elements of the lead including the familiar riff, making the song sound more like the original and probably making it a bit more interesting to play. (But I don't disagree with you regarding the appeal of DQ).

I find that IYCRMM is a song that always gets a good response out of the audience. People remember the song as being a hit, and the lyrics are so moving. Most people can identify with them, because somewhere along the line, we've all had a taste of a troubled relationship.
I play SFAWN during any season. If it's late winter, I remind the crowd that there's a possibility winter is not over yet, and just so they don't get their hopes up for spring too early, I'll play them a winter song. In the summer, I tell them I'm going to play them a winter song, just so they will appreciate the sun and warmth of summer a little more. And in the fall, I play it to remind them of what's just around the corner.
I've had good luck with Heaven Help The Devil. I always tell the story of how Gord wrote it for the Iranian hostages, but didn't release the song until after the hostages were released. He didn't want listeners to think he was taking advantage of a bad situation. I don't play it at all like Gord's rendition. I slow it down a little and Travis pick it and make it a bit more mournful. I've played it in local churches quite a few times and it always goes over well.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

[This message has been edited by Cathy (edited March 25, 2004).]
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 01:27 PM   #39
Cubfan64

Hey The Intended:

Thanks so much for your specific comments. It sounds like you have already attempted what I am planning. It is good to hear of your experiences with various songs.

No problem. It'd be great to be there when you do play - wish I could. I haven't played "professionally" (a term I use loosely) in over a year now, so the rust has started to form on whatever polish my guitar and singing used to have. But the open mic nights are a great way to warm back up. Like you, I have been trying to decide on three or four songs to play when I do go back. I worked out a neat instrumental part for Home From the Forest with drop D tuning, and am considering that one. Since it's just one guy (me) and one guitar, I have to choose songs that work well under those conditions. I'll probably do two GL tunes, one Paul Simon and maybe one other.

Dan
Playing up in Michigan
Cubfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 01:27 PM   #40
The Intended

Hey The Intended:

Thanks so much for your specific comments. It sounds like you have already attempted what I am planning. It is good to hear of your experiences with various songs.

No problem. It'd be great to be there when you do play - wish I could. I haven't played "professionally" (a term I use loosely) in over a year now, so the rust has started to form on whatever polish my guitar and singing used to have. But the open mic nights are a great way to warm back up. Like you, I have been trying to decide on three or four songs to play when I do go back. I worked out a neat instrumental part for Home From the Forest with drop D tuning, and am considering that one. Since it's just one guy (me) and one guitar, I have to choose songs that work well under those conditions. I'll probably do two GL tunes, one Paul Simon and maybe one other.

Dan
Playing up in Michigan
The Intended is offline   Reply With Quote