banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
Knotty pine

Hi all long time no talk I've been kinda busy building PC's and what not. Anyway I decided to take the plunge and try Ebay out. I don't know exactly rare this 45 is, but I won Tom Thumb's Blues. :D

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1
Knotty pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
Gord H

Hi all long time no talk I've been kinda busy building PC's and what not. Anyway I decided to take the plunge and try Ebay out. I don't know exactly rare this 45 is, but I won Tom Thumb's Blues. :D

Gord H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally posted by Gord H:

Have fun ontariocabbie, LOL

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
I don't know exactly rare this 45 is, but I won Tom Thumb's Blues. :D
Well I found a copy in a store in Ottawa back in 1988 but somehow it warped and this scan shows the crack that I made trying to flatten it! and careful application of superglue failed to restore it!

Showing the flip side of the "Underground" re-issue the overlooked hit song Spin Spin

whereas the original United Artists single of Spin Spin was coupled with For Lovin' Me
Nowadays Spin Spin is available in two versions on two different Bear Family CDs:-
1. A "remixed" (in New York) version from Sept 1966 on their Sunday Concert plus issue which has 5 "bonus" tracks and
2. What is probably the "hit" version recorded in Nashville on their double CD BHOE/DSMMN Plus.
I am anxious to know definitively which is the "hit" version issued as and becoming the top ten canadian hit of 1966 that first alerted me to the Lightfoot experience and I am never sure if what I heard was the Nashville recording or the New York remix, and my single is unplayable now to check
It should be possible to tell which is which from the running times, but both the Underground and UA labels say 2:32
whereas SCPLUS runs 2:36 and the BHOE/DSMMN is 2:29
to complicate matters an mp3 I made from my underground single in 1999 before it got warped runs 2:31
and an mp3 allegedly made from the UA single that I found runs 2:35
Thus the running time method is unreliable and an aural comparison is required
If you also have the CD versions on the two Bear Family CDs could you compare with your prized 45 please Gord?
John Fowles
In the web of wild desire
And I cannot control the fire
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:12 PM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
I don't know exactly rare this 45 is, but I won Tom Thumb's Blues. :D
Well I found a copy in a store in Ottawa back in 1988 but somehow it warped and this scan shows the crack that I made trying to flatten it! and careful application of superglue failed to restore it!

Showing the flip side of the "Underground" re-issue the overlooked hit song Spin Spin

whereas the original United Artists single of Spin Spin was coupled with For Lovin' Me
Nowadays Spin Spin is available in two versions on two different Bear Family CDs:-
1. A "remixed" (in New York) version from Sept 1966 on their Sunday Concert plus issue which has 5 "bonus" tracks and
2. What is probably the "hit" version recorded in Nashville on their double CD BHOE/DSMMN Plus.
I am anxious to know definitively which is the "hit" version issued as and becoming the top ten canadian hit of 1966 that first alerted me to the Lightfoot experience and I am never sure if what I heard was the Nashville recording or the New York remix, and my single is unplayable now to check
It should be possible to tell which is which from the running times, but both the Underground and UA labels say 2:32
whereas SCPLUS runs 2:36 and the BHOE/DSMMN is 2:29
to complicate matters an mp3 I made from my underground single in 1999 before it got warped runs 2:31
and an mp3 allegedly made from the UA single that I found runs 2:35
Thus the running time method is unreliable and an aural comparison is required
If you also have the CD versions on the two Bear Family CDs could you compare with your prized 45 please Gord?
John Fowles
In the web of wild desire
And I cannot control the fire
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:23 PM   #6
Iron

Guitar books,magazines,videos.CD's,records,etc.
I gotta quit lookin.I was doin pretty good for a while,had to have a peek a couple weeks ago,just to check it out.Just got another Guitar Tab book a couple days ago,already had two of the same book,but this one had a different cover color(green),and it was a great price...
Caught hell just last night cause "Someone" brought a pick to my attention,I had to put a bid on that. I blamed it on John......