banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 08:39 AM   #26
seafarer62

Whoops. I meant resumed touring in 1987.

Gord took 1986 off from touring.
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #27
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
I saw Gordon on "The Alan Thicke Show or "Thicke Of the Night" (the show ran Sept. '83-May '84)and he had the electric guitar on.

He sang "Broken Dreams" from Salute and then later did "Early Morning Rain" in which Alan joined in with him!
You might want to go back and check that out. I recorded it that night and have watched it many times since. While he did have the electric guitar, the songs he sang were Salute and EMR.

Does anyone remember him playing piano? I remember him from the mid seventies playing, "Fine as Fine can Be" and "Bells of the Evening" all by himself on a grand piano. That was pretty surprising.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:14 PM   #28
charlene

I saw him at Massey pretty well every time he was there since 1975..loved the piano playing and electric guitar period too. I really loved when he sat on a low black stool with his guitar and the sax player came out of the darkness..
Loved the old red carpet and vase of roses...tuning the 12 string and those beligerent "B's"..Rick and his 'walking bass' and Lightfoot introducing the band...and they then shook hands with each other.. omigoodness ...! and Pee Wee with the false nose and mustache and Lightfoot feigning surprise when he looked over at him every night! lol
Every concert stands alone as just right for that moment in time...he was The Man - still is.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:14 PM   #29
charlene

I saw him at Massey pretty well every time he was there since 1975..loved the piano playing and electric guitar period too. I really loved when he sat on a low black stool with his guitar and the sax player came out of the darkness..
Loved the old red carpet and vase of roses...tuning the 12 string and those beligerent "B's"..Rick and his 'walking bass' and Lightfoot introducing the band...and they then shook hands with each other.. omigoodness ...! and Pee Wee with the false nose and mustache and Lightfoot feigning surprise when he looked over at him every night! lol
Every concert stands alone as just right for that moment in time...he was The Man - still is.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #30
Minstrel Man

Hey Charlene, that was a great post. In just a short paragraph, you brought back a bunch of memories of Gord concerts from the past. I don't have the greatest memory, but as I read each little description, I thought "Oh yeah...that's right". Thanks for reviving the memories that would otherwise be lost. Anytime you want to deliver a vignette from the past, I'm all ears.

mm
Minstrel Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #31
Peter Bro10

Gord could jam on his ukulele, and it'd be pure gold!!!!!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #32
Borderstone

Ooops~! You're so right Doug!
It's been a long awhile,but yes,
it was the title track. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2007, 03:55 PM   #33
harlean

talking about concerts from Massey Hall, where I was working as an usher, and the mid 70s I remember 74 or 75 or 76 when he brought his son and daughter out - seperately on different ocassions - had them sit down on stage by the piano and he played them a song he had written for them
now this is reaching deep deep back in the almost shadowy memories vaults but
one child was seranaded with the pony man
and the other child was serenaded with ... help something from a mid 70s release for a child

any other less faulty memories out there?
harlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:55 PM   #34
davidgledhill

talking about concerts from Massey Hall, where I was working as an usher, and the mid 70s I remember 74 or 75 or 76 when he brought his son and daughter out - seperately on different ocassions - had them sit down on stage by the piano and he played them a song he had written for them
now this is reaching deep deep back in the almost shadowy memories vaults but
one child was seranaded with the pony man
and the other child was serenaded with ... help something from a mid 70s release for a child

any other less faulty memories out there?
davidgledhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #35
Auburn Annie

Fine As Fine Can Be?
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #36
Auburn Annie

Fine As Fine Can Be?
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #37
Jesse Joe

Ingrid told me, he sang, "The Pony Man," & "If Chidren Had Wings", for them on stage... Did write those 2 songs for them.

Also, "Fine As Fine Can Be", for Ingrid.

What a Dad, and great guy he is...
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #38
Jesse Joe

Ingrid told me, he sang, "The Pony Man," & "If Chidren Had Wings", for them on stage... Did write those 2 songs for them.

Also, "Fine As Fine Can Be", for Ingrid.

What a Dad, and great guy he is...
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:43 PM   #39
RJ

re: Saw Gord in April 1984 in Minneapolis. He did a number of songs off of Salute using the electric.

I was at this show as well.. I've seen 27 shows over the years, but this one stands out because the North Stars were playing the St. Louis Blues in a game 7 of a playoff series at the Met Center. It was a painful choice to go see Gord on the same night, but we had to do what we had to do.. I recall very distinctly Gord telling the audience after a song or two that "We'll keep ya updated on the hockey match." (which I don't remember that he ever did).. and I recall the word "match" as opposed to "game" which he delivered in his warm friendly way with a little wink in the voice etc.. I recall that night also he played Knotty Pine on the electric guitar and was really struggling with his picking chops for some reason and right near the end of the tune he shook his head, smiled and said into the mic, "Sorry it's not my night for this one folks," also in a very warm tone. We ran out of Northrup Auditorium to the car after the encores to find the game (on the radio) in overtime.. High drama.. game 7 in overtime. We high-tailed it for home but North Star Steve Payne scored to end the game (and the series) before we could get on the freeway.. memories of a great night..
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:05 PM   #40
RJ

It was April 22nd, 1984..
http://www.lightfoot.ca/840422.htm
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote