banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-29-2002, 02:01 PM   #1
endlesswire78

Did anyone ever see the Jim Croce "Behind The Music" on VH1 and notice that He and his wife Ingrid are singing "Song For A Winter's Night" on their front porch of thier farmhouse in PA from the early 70's? Gord must have influenced many songwriters out there. Just thought I would post this.
Old 12-29-2002, 02:01 PM   #2
endlesswire78

Did anyone ever see the Jim Croce "Behind The Music" on VH1 and notice that He and his wife Ingrid are singing "Song For A Winter's Night" on their front porch of thier farmhouse in PA from the early 70's? Gord must have influenced many songwriters out there. Just thought I would post this.
Old 12-29-2002, 07:32 PM   #3
Gord

Actually I was listening to Time in a Bottle recently and I paid attention to the acoustic guitar picking, that could be easily done by Gord, though I'm not sure how Time would sound with Gord singing it. LOL
Old 12-29-2002, 07:32 PM   #4
Gord

Actually I was listening to Time in a Bottle recently and I paid attention to the acoustic guitar picking, that could be easily done by Gord, though I'm not sure how Time would sound with Gord singing it. LOL
Old 12-30-2002, 11:19 AM   #5
Auburn Annie

Ah, yes. He's one of those I remember where I was when I heard he'd died, him and Harry Chapin (one of my husband's favorites.) An amazing body of songs for such a short period of writing - makes you wonder rather wistfully what might have been.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 11:19 AM   #6
Auburn Annie

Ah, yes. He's one of those I remember where I was when I heard he'd died, him and Harry Chapin (one of my husband's favorites.) An amazing body of songs for such a short period of writing - makes you wonder rather wistfully what might have been.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 05:13 PM   #7
LizB

Yes, Harry Chapin had a concert scheduled here shortly after the date that he died.....
so sad, and yes, much too soon. Jim Croce,
too. He was my sister's favorite singer and mine was Gord.

------------------
lam
LizB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 05:13 PM   #8
LAM3346E

Yes, Harry Chapin had a concert scheduled here shortly after the date that he died.....
so sad, and yes, much too soon. Jim Croce,
too. He was my sister's favorite singer and mine was Gord.

------------------
lam
LAM3346E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 06:58 PM   #9
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Way back in the '70s Harry Chapin was on
Roy Leonard's radio show on WGN in Chicago.
It was shortly after Harry had done some sort of benefit, and Gord was a guest performer. It was right after "The Wreck.."
hit the charts. I was able to get thru and asked Harry how he had gotten along with Gord..Harry told me that he and Gord were old friends, but Harry jokingly said to Gord
"I'm the one who's supposed to do the story songs!" Refering to "Taxi" etc. I'll never forget that conversation.....
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 06:58 PM   #10
Rob1956

Way back in the '70s Harry Chapin was on
Roy Leonard's radio show on WGN in Chicago.
It was shortly after Harry had done some sort of benefit, and Gord was a guest performer. It was right after "The Wreck.."
hit the charts. I was able to get thru and asked Harry how he had gotten along with Gord..Harry told me that he and Gord were old friends, but Harry jokingly said to Gord
"I'm the one who's supposed to do the story songs!" Refering to "Taxi" etc. I'll never forget that conversation.....
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:12 PM   #11
USA

Like most people who post here, I am very much into singer/songwriters. More especially if they play guitar. Hence I am a GL fan (he is the top man) also Jimmy Buffett,Harry Chapin, Jim Croce etc.
Regarding the last 2. Jim Croce had a great guitar style, however I feel much of the sound we heard on his records was down to Maury Muehleison, who played with Jim both in the studio and live. Maury also lost his life with Jim, a sad loss.

Now Harry Chapin. Some years ago here in Blighty, there was a sunday morning radio program which occasionally featured live acts. Harry appeared one sunday. He did live versions of 'Flowers Are Red, Story Of A Life' WOLD & Salt And Pepper'. When asked if there was anything Harry would like to hear, Harry told the same story about Gordon and story songs, then asked to hear 'The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald'it was a great program. I am only sorry that I never got to see Harry live.
USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:12 PM   #12
notsocooldude

Like most people who post here, I am very much into singer/songwriters. More especially if they play guitar. Hence I am a GL fan (he is the top man) also Jimmy Buffett,Harry Chapin, Jim Croce etc.
Regarding the last 2. Jim Croce had a great guitar style, however I feel much of the sound we heard on his records was down to Maury Muehleison, who played with Jim both in the studio and live. Maury also lost his life with Jim, a sad loss.

Now Harry Chapin. Some years ago here in Blighty, there was a sunday morning radio program which occasionally featured live acts. Harry appeared one sunday. He did live versions of 'Flowers Are Red, Story Of A Life' WOLD & Salt And Pepper'. When asked if there was anything Harry would like to hear, Harry told the same story about Gordon and story songs, then asked to hear 'The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald'it was a great program. I am only sorry that I never got to see Harry live.
notsocooldude is offline   Reply With Quote