banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2008, 07:26 AM   #1
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater
Default Live at Avery Hall cd

I seen this on Ebay today and was wondering if anyone here has it. The guy selling it is asking a large price for it. Undoubtedly a bootleg, but I am wondering on the quality as it was done from a radio broadcast, and if it is even worth owning.
http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI....E:B:SS:US:1123
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
geodeticman.5

Default Re: Live at Avery Hall cd

JohninCt.,

I have not seen it or heard of the one you mention, but I am aware of several other commonly available bootlegs of live recordings especially. No one can position themselves as moral police in this matter, as it is a personal choice, but its worth pointing out to you something that possibly you may not have considered.

I had not, until I heard the reasoning, and raw info. Bootleg recordings, or in any event recordings that are not recognized in the easily accessible lists ( incl. lists in corfid) of valid CD releases, or other media past and present, deny Gordon his hard-earned pay when we buy them. He does not get his portion, as I am sure you can picture, of the sale of any unauthorized recordings

. As such, in most cases not only are they illegal to sell, but may very well be illegal to buy or own ( I do not know that much myself, but it stands to reason). One thing is for sure: the largest malpheasant involved ( that being the "criime" of intentional nature) is the entity that recorded it to begin with, then made copies for sale, and then distributed them for sale, and finally sold them, often to unknowing and hapless, if not innocent, victims.

I'm sure your intent , if you purchased it, would not be to rob Lightfoot of his royalties, but almost certainly it does. And you know, his stuff is so good; he has worked so hard to make good music, he surely has earned his royalties and deserves them. Even if his music stunk, and he did not work hard on them, and moreover we thought for some reason he did not deserve his cut, its still the law as I understand. But of course, it is good, he did work VERY hard as I am sure you'd be among the first to agree, and also that he DOES deserve his royalties on the sale of strictly legit official releases.

When I started collecting Gord's music, I did not know what were official versus otherwise recordings, and very easily could have innocently bought a bootleg or otherwise illegal recording. But those, fortunately for me ( and Gord) were not available in common new merchandise retail outlets in the US anyway as a rule, and I was shielded from the goods I would not have known at first were infact unofficial ( read: rips Gord off personally, and his band, and all the agents and levels involved in the performance, recording, producing, marketing, distribution, and sale of his recordings) and was not exposed to an unwitting illegal-to-sell recording of any kind.

By the time of the proliferation of E-bay, other auction and general retail sources of new and used recordings on the internet in general, fortunately by then I knew by-heart the list of his offical recordingsd and releases. But not all fans do know or could be expected to know at all times; so he still gets ripped off by both knowing thoughtless fans, AND unknowing well-meaning fans. I'm sure you would not intentionally rip-off Gord if you did know in a given case, so please forgive my pontification here.

I sure don't mean to be sanctimonius. Like you I'm sure, I just hate to see him get ripped. Check it out ! I don't mean to posture as the self-appointed Gord-protection police, but most of us, and you too, I bet, would openly discourage illegal Lightfoot recordings. There are those who profess they DO purchase or in any event own them, and its not my place to judge them. Just a heads-up, man. Gord rules !

~geo steve
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
Suzi

John asked a simple question. Rather than answer him, we get a seven paragraph dissertation on the evils of bootlegs. We all have morals. Don't impose yours on others.

To answer the question - that recording is a very good quality recording. You have to decide if it's worth $39.99.
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
jj

wonderful, discussion provoking post, steve ...that's what I'm here for, discussion, not just Q+A

in this day and age I wouldn't pay more than $9 for any CD, since this will likely appear on the internet sooner or later as does everything...if you are the type that needs to have something like this immediately then the bid-wise, the sky's the limit ...I've found that many great fans are dying to share or swap their bootleg stashes with other great fans and their efforts in sharing via internet, e-mail or snail mail are a labour of love rather than profit motivated ...and should one fan have nothing attractive (or non-redundant) to swap then reimbursement for shipping costs seems to be the norm

this fellow says he's a fan but I notice he is also selling a photo that Gord signed for him...just my opinion but I find that pathetic and an example of one of the reasons that many artists, celebs, sports figures, etc will hesitate or no longer sign a 'collectable' for a true fan, no matter how young ...I also notice that the concert was to raise funds for a charity... maybe I've misjudged the seller and he is planning to donate his proceeds to the cause

now that I'm done with my bootleg discussion and it's hidden agenda of attempting to impose my exemplary morals on others, lol, the second part of my answer is, this was a radio broadcast so I assume the recording was of broadcast quality.... unlike the kind-hearted, steve, if you go for it, i won't hate to see you get ripped off, lol, buyer beware ...and if it is as advertised, happy listening and make us each a copy

Last edited by jj; 08-18-2008 at 03:15 PM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
geodeticman.5

JohninCt, & Suzi

My apologies, honestly. I tried to indicate it was not my place to judge. But in re-reading my post, I must agree It was without balance, stating an opinion. And not trying at all to judge JohninCt at all. But I am truly sorry... really... for offending anyone, it is NOT my place to judge. A poor-balanced, overly extended discussion of it, it was, you're right. I am sorry. If the readers feel it best retracted due to offensive nature, please let Char know, or me, and I will, maybe we better not overload Char.... LOL.

Sorry guys. It is in my nature to write long, and as I mentioned in another thread, I am working on it. It is a bad habit, made worse by recent occurences. No excuse, however. I will also try and avoid that, too. Truly and respectfully sorry. If I am to error, I will error on the side of Lightfoot's feeding his family. And, the law, as I understand it. Its true, I have an opinion. But its not right to impose it upon others. To impose. To politely suggest, as an opinion, as we are all with biases, maybe so..... others ? I rest the fate of the post in the readers, as I do not wish in any way to be offensive about my opinions. Respectfully, and regrefully,

~geo steve

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 08-18-2008 at 03:42 PM. Reason: changed word thread to post for acuracy
Old 08-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodeticman.5 View Post
JohninCt, & Suzi
... I must agree It was without balance, stating an opinion
~geo steve
and the sign said ya gotta have a corfid membership card to get inside...and though shalt NOT state opinions! lol
Old 08-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

steverino - no need for apology - just a good old corfid back & forth I'd say. We don't all agree about everything - most days...

but as the question regards sound quality I'd say we have some true experts here and we do have a good answer...

and bootleg versions of commercial cds are one thing but fan recorded shows are certainly quite another - as the artist has no intention of releasing a live recording of every show (unless you go to http://www.livecountingcrows.com/ )...

I for one second jj's opinion that we all start to live by his exemplary moral example - we could call ourselve's jj's army or maybe jj's peace corps if the military reference offends anyone, LOL.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodeticman.5 View Post
My apologies. But I am truly sorry. I am sorry.
Sorry guys. Truly and respectfully sorry
I think it was jj who first stated that you say "I'm sorry" too much. I cherry-picked 5 examples from your previous post. According to the official Corfid handbook scribed by our overpaid moderator, 6 is the limit. Tread carefully.

All in fun.......say what you want to say (but 6 IS the limit).
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #9
geodeticman.5

Thanks JJ, RM, and BILLW.. lol I appreciate it guys....just wanting to be polite, but you guys are right, I have a right to an opinion, and DO apologize too much.

But, I do think I went over the edge on expressing my opinion without balance. Whats more, the real boilertest is how JohninCt. feels about it. That, he and I are in the midst of discussing like gentlemen, let us NOT speak for HIM ! All in good fun for me, too guys.
Thanks,

~geo steve

p.s. SUZI - Thanks, and I'd direct your attention to the majority of my posts elsewhere, where I feel you will see I try very hard to conduct myself as a gentleman, w/o imposing my opinion, in fact, I have decried in my posts folks who state their opinions as fact, as being the height of hubris, and try to always state IMO, trying to avoid the cloying IMHO, as humble as I feel about them.

Give me a fair read, and I think you will see this one to be a skew - one to throw out in the statistical brew after the apology. It is challenging, the part about my posts being long, its true I am trying to shorten these, however, a dissertation takes a year or two to write at a minimum, and the above took a few minutes ! j/k Lets let JohninCt. speak for himself next time. Point well taken. My regards to you, and your point is truly appreciated. - steve

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 08-18-2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: clarity, mis-spelling
Old 08-19-2008, 12:39 AM   #10
brink-

In the 70's Gord completely stopped signing autographs because he didn't like people making money off his signature. Many, many artists feel the same way. It burns the true fans, like us, when people use his signature to profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
Just wanted to add my 2 cents about ebay auctions for charity - jj I see no indication that the proceeds from this ebay listing are to benefit a charity. ebay has strict rules about listing auctions for charity and even if someone states in their listing that the proceeds (whatever percentage) is to go to a charity...does not follow ebay's rules and the listing could be pulled if there's a complaint.

The only valid listings for charity will include a link to one of the organizations listed on ebay's non-profit Missionfish...and/or one for which the seller has included specific information that complies with ebay's rules for fundraising. This should include uploading a scanned, dated letter from the non-profit - giving the name of the seller and permission for them to fundraise...along with the dates of active auctions, the non-profits' Fed ID #, the percentage of the sale which will go to the charity...and signed by the director/president of the organization.

Another comment I have here is in regards to Gordon signing photos -all but one photo I had him sign for "me"...he personally inscribed "To Pam". Anytime I've presented him with a photo to have him sign for someone else...he just signs his name. I'd always mention who it is for..one time for my uncle, and 2x's for friends. Terry, not an issue (not that it was an issue that Gordon didn't inscribe to the person I was asking for) I asked Terry to inscribe it to a friend and he did.

One of my friends is an autograph collector (likes Gordon's music too)...but he doesn't sell anything EVER from any of his collections (for which he has everything from lunch boxes to LP's).

Anyway, my guess is that Gordon has no qualms about 'participating' in the autograph trade. He seemingly/willingly signs quite a bit - which in turn would make forging his signature a non-issue. There are plenty of people who just simply aren't able to obtain autographs by any other means (on their own, etc) so I think this is a good thing, huh?
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:30 AM   #11
JohninCt.

Sorry if I sparked any bitterness or arguing here for anyone, it was not my intention. Anyway I appreciate all the answers and yes, even the thoughts on bootleg stuff. I have owned many many bootlegs and almost every artist worth listening to has them. I accept that they exist, and though many are lousy, every once in a while, one may be exceptional. Being that the one I mentioned was from a radio broadcast I would expect it was ok sound wise, but with many generations of copies, (as it no doubt started as a tape) it could be blah in that category also by now, but more than that, and this was the point of the question, I was wondering about the content, and I just wondered if this concert was exceptionally good, so to be worth that much money as a bootleg. I have been to lots of Gordons concerts, and I really don't need to hear what I can still go to live, rather than have a copy that I probably would just play once anyway, so it comes to that, I am not buying it. I thank you all for your info and help.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #12
geodeticman.5

JohninCt & Suzi,

I think I know what JJ,RM, and BILLW meant in their posts about apologizing where not necessary to me, YOU surely don't have any reason to apologize John ! I still think, to an extent, I DO, despite the well made points by JJ,RM, and BILLW. It is, of course, OK for me to have and state an opinion. And your post was actually very polite and was by no means the CAUSE of any dissension. It simply, to avoid any further over-analyses, comes down to, IMO:

A - is it respectful of other members to have and state an opinion, even on controversial mattters ?... by general consensus,...... most definately yes.

B - If that expressed opinion exceeds that of polite expression thereof, and pushes further into offensive nature, or that of posturing as moral police and imposing one's opinion on another member, it transcends what are our generally accepted norms in corfid of courteous discourse.

Suzi expressed an opinion that [my opinion] my position took the form of imposing my morals. However, as I expressly stated, "No one can position themselves as moral police in this matter, as it is a personal choice" and "I sure don't mean to be sanctimonius. ........ I don't mean to posture as the self-appointed Gord-protection police," ; I believe I made clear my intention was not to impose my morals. However, being more open-minded than some may realize, and my own worst critic, which is quite evident...lol (sorry guys...lol ..sorry)

I am willing to believe that upon what is now my third read of my original wording, I can see in my writing what Suzi pointed out: "We all have morals. Don't impose yours on others." hard feelings for me, but pretty cool of Suzi, I gotta say.

Make you a deal Suzi, I will make a point of not just saying I am not trying to be the self-appointed morals police, but demonstrate it as well, if you will have the good-character and humility to not be the self-appointed umbrage-taker for JohninCt., or anyone else I write a post to. And I am not being facetious., I honestly think we both took it a little too seriously.

Let's lighten-up and enjoy our discussion of Lightfoot. And being tolerant works both ways, yes/no ? I hear you Suzi, and respect what you have said, and your right to say it. True for you as to my right to opinion as well ? All meant well, and no harm no foul taken by me, I hope neither by you now ! Cool ? Respectfuly,
~geo steve

p.s. - I cut out a lot of the diatribe that slipped into the same mode of morals imposing thought late late last night, Suzi. So, in the interest of harmony, I removed it from my draft, which quite honestly, late last night I accidently hit return on, and to my horror today, saw today was posted. Two full pages of diatribe, right after saying I would eliminate the overkill as my reason for editing.
LOL sorry again.....friends ?

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 08-19-2008 at 10:16 PM. Reason: removed what was not intended to be great overkill.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
RM

I just don't get the whole autograph hound deal. Unless it's of personal value to someone, what is it worth ? Let's say someone had collected the autographs of every famous person who has existed in my lifetime (a BIG collection) and offered it for sale. Would I buy it ?.......absolutely not. It would mean nothing.

Last edited by RM; 08-19-2008 at 01:22 PM.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #14
John D

Just a quick note about the CD I am selling on ebay.

I would never do anything to ripoff Gord because of the respect I have for him. Gord has been most kind and helpful with guitar advice. Last week I had a large unexpected medical bill that I paid and I need cash to make up for the hit on the bank account. I bought this CD off ebay a year or two ago for $70-$80 and after I heard it, I would have gladly paid more because the sound quality is incredible for a radio broadcast in 1977. It is quite evident from the sound quality that whoever recorded this radio broadcast must have some music engineering knowledge.

I have shared this CD with numerous fans around the country and most of the items that Gord has signed for me are given to family or friends as gifts or Gord fans that I meet while out doing my job (sheriff's deputy).

All I ask is to please understand the circumstances that I am in right now as it is very hard to let these items go, especially the autographed photo of Gord playing his Fender Telecaster.

Sincerely,

John D.
John D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #15
BILLW

Hi John D,

Sorry about the medical issue. Hope all is well. Best of luck with your auctions !

Bill
Old 08-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #16
geodeticman.5

John D - I hope all goes well and better for you as well; sorry to hear of difficulties.

~geo steve
Old 08-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #17
geodeticman.5

Oops guys, guess what,

I caught myself in what I rather opinionatedly decried, historically myself. I recall buying, with great delight, and a twinge of young conscience, a copy of EOM on LP that was from a used record store ,and marked on the slipcover something like "This is a radio broadcast promotional copy, not intended for re-sale. Do not sell this copy" LOL guess I been caught with my pants down. That was in the late 80's, on University hill in Boulder, Colo. While that would not be a bootleg per se, it was not meant to be privately owned. I imagine that was for purposes of promotion prior to sale in the record stores,
but there I go attempting to rationalize. LOL He who lives in glass house should not throw rock. Thought that might get a laugh or two.

I gotta admit, no amount of money could make me sell my Gord-autographed canoe paddle, from my 40th birthday 1998 E-town radio broadcast show in Boulder. Hmm unless it was like, $50,000, which ain't gonna happen LOL

~geo steve
Old 08-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #18
geodeticman.5

Podunk - not being a frequenter of E=bay, what is "schill-bidding" [sic] ? - common sense says it is a fake bid, entered sureptitiously, to drive-up the bidding ?

~geo steve
Old 08-19-2008, 08:35 PM   #19
BILLW

shill –noun 1. a person who poses as a customer in order to decoy others into participating, as at a gambling house, auction, confidence game, etc.

You guessed it steve...

Bill
Old 08-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #20
geodeticman.5

Thanks BILLW and lol Podunk - that does stink .... I...will...avoid something..or..someone ever shilling on me....lol

~geo steve
Old 08-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #21
Bill

I'd say it would be worth purchasing only to ship back to EMP office to take it out of circulation, but alas it is so easy to duplicate media in the digital age.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #22
geodeticman.5

RM,

Regarding the autograph hound thing, my two-cents worth is this: I have only asked once to have him sign something. I wish I had more. I do not mean to imply at all more is bad. Its just all I was ever inclined to do, never over-rationalized it.

In my case, I wanted something that made me think of the ...rather...impressive things Gordon has done, one of which, as I mentioned above, is canoeing, and my paddle. Knowing Gord has taken numerous several-hundred mile canoe and sea-kayak trips, which having done both - MUCH shorter trips, too, I find impressive as hell.

With that in mind, I bought the paddle with the express intent of him signing it on my 40th birthday in '98, so I could hang it on the wall in my den/office, and think of his accomplishments, when listening to his music. Thats all, personally, never was much for the photo thing, though I understand those who are.

~geo steve
Old 08-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #23
JohninCt.

John D. I do hope everything works out ok for you. I know how you feel, when it comes to selling things you bought or had signed because you were a fan of that person, it becomes hard, but necessity over rules. I know if I really needed the bucks, much of my collection would go also. I have a large Elvis collection including his autograph on an 8x10 photo, and a set of all 5 of his original Sun records. They hang in frames on my walls along with Gordon autographed stuff. I have had some of these things so long, that I can't imagine not seeing them on my walls. I never questioned your right to sell the cd as I have collected some bootleg stuff in the past also, but was interested in the quality of it, but after considering what the songs were etc., I decided I have the studio versions which to me are just fine in my older age.
As for someone asking about autograph collecting and why, I have been an autograph collector for many years. I did it in the beginning mainly because I was a fan of that person, later it turned to being part of a collectables business. I have Political autographs, Military people, Actors and Actresses, Singers and other Musicians, Sports, and other people famous for various reasons. I did some of it for the investment potential, and some because I just liked the person, and some I bought in collections. No different than any other collection being it stamps or coins or some type of glassware, dolls, guns, etc.. You do it because you enjoy having something you like and with the potential of maybe it helping your lifestyle some where in time. Some things I would sell with no remorse, but some like my Elvis and Gordon signed stuff, will be the last I will ever part with, and maybe my only relative, my sister, will just inherit it instead. I have had great satisfaction owning the items I have, I hopefully will continue with that feeling, and feel bad for anyone who has to part with stuff they love. Good luck on your sale.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #24
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
... maybe I've misjudged the seller and he is planning to donate his proceeds to the cause
ok, it sounds like the proceeds are going to a good cause after all be well, John

I don't get the autograph value thing either (just dried ink) nor the rookie card hype (it's just cardboard and dried ink) BUT I do get the obtaining an autograph from a admired person and treasuring it as a reminder of the moment...I also have tons of rookie cards which I obtained by excitedly opening the card pack or by trading my don't need 'ems with pals

I hate seeing little kids spend their allowances at a trading card show on allegedly 'rare' cards...anyhow, i'm off topic....that is a great photo of pretty early Gord....I would take a large scan of it and then have it printed before you sell it (who cares if the autograph is not original ink, it will still be in your gallery and lock your moment with Gord in time) cheers
Old 08-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #25
charlene

IMHO - the act of being near/close enough to someone you revere/admire/respect (for whatever reasons) and offering him/her something of value to you and having that person accept it with grace and perhaps a moment of personal interaction with JUST you is why an autograph means so much.
when looking at it at a later date those very human feelings surface and make us happy..it was a moment that touched us and we have a tangible piece of evidence (name on something representative of that admiration) that recalls that important time when perhaps we expressed our thanks and rec'd same in return.

precious and priceless
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote