banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-21-1999, 01:22 PM   #1
WildeJack

Send a message via ICQ to WildeJack

His songs have made me cry and laugh and think very hard about the world and its inhabitants. He has (had) the voice of an opera singer (just listen to "The Last Time I Saw Her"), the heart of a poet and the lyrical ability to match, and an uncanny way of bringing tremendous emotion and imagery to his songs. His style is unique and cannot be duplicated.

Man, I love this guy! I fell in love with his music when I was 20 years old (seven years ago) and living in Montana. I was in a restaurant and I heard a simply incredible song on the radio, but I didn't know who it was. "Gordon Lightfoot," the waitress said after some thought. The song turned out to be "If You Could Read My Mind." Beautiful--truly a work of art! I bought Gord's Gold I the next day and have added every CD I could find to my collection since then.

I love almost every song he has written, but his nostalgic and darker pieces hold a special place in my heart. "Looking at the Rain," "Shadows," "The Last Time I Saw Her," "Affair on 8th Avenue," "Pussywillows, Cat-tails," "The Lost Children" and many others of that nature have always ranked among my most favorite Lightfoot songs.

I've never had the opportunity to see Gordon in concert and I will always regret not having seen him in his prime. Very few things would give me more pleasure than sitting down with him for several hours and discussing his brilliant career and the many influences/events in his life that made his music so powerful and moving...

It will be a sad, sad day for myself and all GL fans when he is gone.
WildeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2000, 08:28 PM   #2
classicmixdj

This is obviously an older post but the part about about us losing Gord is a day I pray is many years away. I'm so thankful to be alive during the life of one Gordon Lightfoot so that I could enjoy the pleasure of following his career and listening to his exceptional music. Here's to you Gordon.
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2000, 05:01 AM   #3
Silver Heels

I cannot even begin to consider a time without Gord and his music. Do not even go there - any of you - it is way too dark down there. Gord will live forever.
Silver Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2000, 10:57 PM   #4
classicmixdj

Amen.
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2000, 11:39 AM   #5
storm

Send a message via ICQ to storm

you know what? i have grown up on gord for as long as i can remember. my dad apparantly used to to play his gentle melodies to me as a baby. i have loved everything he has ever done, and thank my dad for introducing me. gord came here about 2 yrs ago and neither me nor my dad has ever seen him live, i decided to treat my dad. what a show!! i am so glad that is something i got to do before he stopped touring. i did get alot of strange looks for being probably the youngest one there,but that day will always have a top spot in my memory....we'll miss you when you stop gord!!
storm is offline   Reply With Quote