banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-07-2004, 01:17 PM   #1
Tyler

Val are you going to post the snippets of the three songs on itunes on your web site for those of us that are computer challenged? I would love to hear them, probably a bunch of us would but can't get to them. I do believe that my Windows program is the problem (not just me).
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 01:17 PM   #2
brink

Val are you going to post the snippets of the three songs on itunes on your web site for those of us that are computer challenged? I would love to hear them, probably a bunch of us would but can't get to them. I do believe that my Windows program is the problem (not just me).
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:05 PM   #3
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Well, Brink, it poses an interesting problem. First, I don't have permission to do so and I would not want to do something like that before an album were released.

With the Rhino material, I didn't post any clips of songs that were not already available legally. For example, I posted a clip of Too Much To Lose - but that had been mistakenly released on some ODR tapes back around 1980. I didn't post any clips of the other never officially released material until the actual release day. That was what Thane Tierney asked me to do, and of course I honored his request.

In this case, I am not in touch with anyone. In this "brave new world" of rights managed recordings, record companies use things like Itunes to make their recordings available but closely managed. This is the current music industry trend, and although I don't like it any more than you do, we don't create the rules.

So I don't have permission to post anything and in fact - until I take my PC and hook it up to a local area network with a PC equipped with a burner, I have no way of getting the songs out of Itunes. I actually tried something today because I really don't like to run Itunes, but they have somehow prevented recording off the sound card (by which I mean, they have managed to add noise to the sound). Eventually I will make myself a CD, but that's as far as I dare go these days.

Sorry. I think it's a shame, but there is nothing we can do about it. I assume that once the CD is listed in online stores, there will be clips that everyone can play.

Also, it is possible that the songs are also on Napster. You have to install that, and pay (after the test period), and pay to download but not to listen (I don't think). But I don't know if the songs are there and I am not about to download Napster to find out. However, it may not have the operating system restrictions that Itunes has, so perhaps one of you might want to download it and see if the Harmony songs are there too.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my GL fan site at gordonlightfoot.com and Cathy Cowette's web site at cathycowette.com
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:22 PM   #4
Tyler

Thanks Val, I understand totally your reluctance to make waves I guess I will wait until May 11th. I feel like a 6 year old waiting for Christmas!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:22 PM   #5
brink

Thanks Val, I understand totally your reluctance to make waves I guess I will wait until May 11th. I feel like a 6 year old waiting for Christmas!
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 03:00 PM   #6
vlmagee

Brink, I can't resist a good pun. I would be very happy to make wavs (!), but Itunes won't let me.

OK, I'll crawl back in my hole now.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my GL fan site at gordonlightfoot.com and Cathy Cowette's web site at cathycowette.com
Old 03-14-2004, 07:53 PM   #7
vlmagee

Good news! I got permission. The clips are posted at my web site.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Old 03-14-2004, 08:24 PM   #8
violet Blue Horse

Thank you for doing that Val!

Do you think the casual way the tracks were laid down has anything to do with the vocal quality? Was he perhaps more relaxed just setting down vocal tracks, not knowing the tracks would actually BE the vocals for a new CD?

quote:Originally posted by vlmagee:

------------------
Born once - Got it right the first time. )O(
Old 03-14-2004, 08:24 PM   #9
violet Blue Horse

Thank you for doing that Val!

Do you think the casual way the tracks were laid down has anything to do with the vocal quality? Was he perhaps more relaxed just setting down vocal tracks, not knowing the tracks would actually BE the vocals for a new CD?

quote:Originally posted by vlmagee:

------------------
Born once - Got it right the first time. )O(
Old 03-14-2004, 09:33 PM   #10
Auburn Annie

Good call - I wouldn't be surprised, though I suspect Gord's a something of a perfectionist even on a demo track.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 09:33 PM   #11
Auburn Annie

Good call - I wouldn't be surprised, though I suspect Gord's a something of a perfectionist even on a demo track.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 09:40 PM   #12
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Auburn Annie:

Yeah, but there's a lot less stress involved in recording a demo track, because in your head, you know it's just a demo track and not the real thing.
The fact that he's relaxed is probably a good thing. It's easier to hit the out of normal range high and low notes when you're relaxed.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 12:20 AM   #13
violet Blue Horse

That was the impression I got from the 90 seconds I heard, LOL. The vocals had an informal, notes to myself, rehearsal sound to them. I liked it.

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:

Yeah, but there's a lot less stress involved in recording a demo track, because in your head, you know it's just a demo track and not the real thing.
The fact that he's relaxed is probably a good thing. It's easier to hit the out of normal range high and low notes when you're relaxed.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:20 AM   #14
violet Blue Horse

That was the impression I got from the 90 seconds I heard, LOL. The vocals had an informal, notes to myself, rehearsal sound to them. I liked it.

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:

Old 03-15-2004, 08:24 AM   #15
Gord

Thanks for posting the clips... the one song had a Dylan feel to it... can hardly wait for the CD to come out and have some new songs to practice too...

I swear my neighbours must be sick of Lightfoot by now LOL I have been downstairs on the drumset the last 2 weeks playing every song that has percussion in it... I think I have found my niche
Old 03-15-2004, 08:24 AM   #16
Gord

Thanks for posting the clips... the one song had a Dylan feel to it... can hardly wait for the CD to come out and have some new songs to practice too...

I swear my neighbours must be sick of Lightfoot by now LOL I have been downstairs on the drumset the last 2 weeks playing every song that has percussion in it... I think I have found my niche