banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-19-2005, 10:42 PM   #26
josch

Hi Elizabeth,
Huge John Stewart fan, he put out some incredible albums in the early 70's, if you can find it check out "California Bloodlines" and "Cannons in the Rain" , just a great songwriter. Take Care

Joe quote:Originally posted by ELizabeth:
Does anyone here remember John Stewart (sang with the Kingston Trio for a while)? He was under contract with Reprise at the same time GL was. I really like his music and wonder what has become of him. Does anyone out there know?

josch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 09:32 AM   #27
ELizabeth

I have both 'California Bloodlines' and 'Canons in the Rain' and I love them both. I also like some of the songs on 'Sunstorm'! His songs have the ability to make me cry and laugh. "Anna on a Memory' and 'Julie,Judy, Angel Rain' can bring tears while 'The Lady and the Outlaw' breaks me up everytime I hear it.
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 03:22 PM   #28
Borderstone

I really only know the 1979 song,"Gold",w/Stevie Nicks on back-up vocals. Still,cool song though.

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:47 PM   #29
ELizabeth

Hi there Borderstone - Like GL, John Stewart's a;bums are all worth having. The two mentioned here "Calfornia Bloodlines' and 'Canons in the Rain' are both excellent. Are you going to make any of the GL concerts this year?
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:31 AM   #30
The Rez

I, along w/ Rhea and Mott attended John Stewarts concer last weekend at McCabes in Santa Monica.

We're all looking forward to John's House Councert (at Jimmy Duke's O-Dark Thirth in San Diego) this June

John's new music is as grounded as his "classics."

There remain a few priceless things in this life: Brother Ray, Gord and John Stewart come to mind this evening.

The Rez

------------------
It was a Beautiful Rainbow
A Beautiful Time in my Life
A Thing to Share
A Time to Care
To Be Alive
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:28 PM   #31
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by The Rez:
I, along w/ Rhea and Mott attended John Stewarts concer last weekend at McCabes in Santa Monica.

We're all looking forward to John's House Councert (at Jimmy Duke's O-Dark Thirth in San Diego) this June

There remain a few priceless things in this life: Brother Ray, Gord and John Stewart come to mind this evening.

The Rez

I just posted a message for the Rez on the other identically entitled topoc in which I advised how to delete the duplicate. Now I realise that if the Rez goes ahead and deletes the topic my notes will be also deleted so I am reproducing my message here
too...
One of the advantages of being a member is that unlike other message boards such as the Newsgroup alt.music.lightfoot... http://www.newsgroup.shorturl.com

if you make a bog of a new topic or any posting you can simply click on the second from the right icon above your message
(if you mouse over it you will see that it is entitled "edit/delete message"
Then if you click on it you will then get your original typed screed up to edit or check the box that is annotated
"Delete? To delete this post, check this box.
Note: deleting this post will result in the deletion of the entire topic, since this post is the first post in the topic."
So you can either edit your posting or remove it together with all replies that have so far been made.
TIP
If like me you are prone to mis-type and are editing for that reason then each time you edit a new message saying that you have edited the posting gets appended.
If you need to re-edit as I sometimes do you can then remove the damning evidence of earlier editings by simply deleting the existing edited note(s) at the bottom
John Fowles
Why is abbreviation such a long word?

Why is there an expiration date on my sour cream container?

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:28 PM   #32
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by The Rez:

The Rez

I just posted a message for the Rez on the other identically entitled topoc in which I advised how to delete the duplicate. Now I realise that if the Rez goes ahead and deletes the topic my notes will be also deleted so I am reproducing my message here
too...
One of the advantages of being a member is that unlike other message boards such as the Newsgroup alt.music.lightfoot... http://www.newsgroup.shorturl.com

if you make a bog of a new topic or any posting you can simply click on the second from the right icon above your message
(if you mouse over it you will see that it is entitled "edit/delete message"
Then if you click on it you will then get your original typed screed up to edit or check the box that is annotated
"Delete? To delete this post, check this box.
Note: deleting this post will result in the deletion of the entire topic, since this post is the first post in the topic."
So you can either edit your posting or remove it together with all replies that have so far been made.
TIP
If like me you are prone to mis-type and are editing for that reason then each time you edit a new message saying that you have edited the posting gets appended.
If you need to re-edit as I sometimes do you can then remove the damning evidence of earlier editings by simply deleting the existing edited note(s) at the bottom
John Fowles
Why is abbreviation such a long word?

Why is there an expiration date on my sour cream container?

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Old 02-21-2005, 07:04 PM   #33
YellowCanary

quote:Originally posted by ELizabeth:
He was under contract with Reprise at the same time GL was

There ya go, only one degree of separation. LOL!
Old 02-21-2005, 07:04 PM   #34
YellowCanary

quote:Originally posted by ELizabeth:
He was under contract with Reprise at the same time GL was

Old 02-22-2005, 01:12 PM   #35
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by YellowCanary:
well said Yellow Bird

on the duplicated John Stewart topic started by "the Rez: at:- http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002996.html
silverheels opined
"No offence intended guys but why are we discussing JOhn Stewart on a Gordon Lightfoot forum? Shouldnt this be over at Small Talk?
If I have missed the Lightfoot connection, my apologies."
OK I have been in email touch with the rez as he wanted my advice/clarification on whether he should now delete that duplicate John Stewart topic- I have replied to say leave it as it is
(I now know his actual name and in one email he made a very valid point to refute the suggestion that the topic of JS should of/have been posted to the small talk forum instead of here
I would agree . In fact I suspect that many here ignore that forum or are blissfully unaware of it.I myself started what I thought was a useful topic on Tim Hardin there recently and made a connection between Tim and Gord at:- http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000540.html
it linked to a most interesting BBC radio broadcast that was archived and I managed to make a recording of it, but my topic garnered one solitary reply (from brink) so possibly many others missed it so in retrospect perhaps I should of/have posted it here in the main forum regardless
the Rez said to me (and I am about to tell him that I am posting it here)what to my mind is a most valid point:-
"By the way, the cross-pollination of mentioning other artists in the proper context can be to the good. I'm a member over at Bloodlines (the John Stewart lines.) A fellow posted that a John Stewart thread was occurring at this site about Gord, which I didn't know existed. Presto! Here I am. This site is great. As much as I've loved JS music, even more have I been astonished by Gord"
John Fowles
Quote of the Week:
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand (Putt's Law)
P.S. Bru I am not trying to get at you for your mostly valid observation

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited February 22, 2005).]
Old 02-22-2005, 01:12 PM   #36
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by YellowCanary:
well said Yellow Bird

on the duplicated John Stewart topic started by "the Rez: at:- http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002996.html
silverheels opined
"No offence intended guys but why are we discussing JOhn Stewart on a Gordon Lightfoot forum? Shouldnt this be over at Small Talk?
If I have missed the Lightfoot connection, my apologies."
OK I have been in email touch with the rez as he wanted my advice/clarification on whether he should now delete that duplicate John Stewart topic- I have replied to say leave it as it is
(I now know his actual name and in one email he made a very valid point to refute the suggestion that the topic of JS should of/have been posted to the small talk forum instead of here
I would agree . In fact I suspect that many here ignore that forum or are blissfully unaware of it.I myself started what I thought was a useful topic on Tim Hardin there recently and made a connection between Tim and Gord at:- http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000540.html
it linked to a most interesting BBC radio broadcast that was archived and I managed to make a recording of it, but my topic garnered one solitary reply (from brink) so possibly many others missed it so in retrospect perhaps I should of/have posted it here in the main forum regardless
the Rez said to me (and I am about to tell him that I am posting it here)what to my mind is a most valid point:-
"By the way, the cross-pollination of mentioning other artists in the proper context can be to the good. I'm a member over at Bloodlines (the John Stewart lines.) A fellow posted that a John Stewart thread was occurring at this site about Gord, which I didn't know existed. Presto! Here I am. This site is great. As much as I've loved JS music, even more have I been astonished by Gord"
John Fowles
Quote of the Week:
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand (Putt's Law)
P.S. Bru I am not trying to get at you for your mostly valid observation

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited February 22, 2005).]
Old 02-22-2005, 01:50 PM   #37
bjorn

John Stewart is awesome. I try to never miss the Daily Show....he's hysterical, and the expressions on his face in response to a story are often funnier and say more than 1000 words ever could! Rock on John Stewart!
Erica
bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:50 PM   #38
Sundreme

John Stewart is awesome. I try to never miss the Daily Show....he's hysterical, and the expressions on his face in response to a story are often funnier and say more than 1000 words ever could! Rock on John Stewart!
Erica
Sundreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:22 PM   #39
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Sundreme:
John Stewart is awesome. I Rock on John Stewart!Erica
Oops Erica
I assume that you deliberately posted this reference to Jon Stewart the comedian which would definitely have been a "Small Talk" forum topic
Although Gord tries his best to be funny in his on-stage comments in no sense could you call Gord a comedian surely??
No the John Stewart being discussed here is the singer who is the subject of sites such as http://members.aol.com/clackclack/
John Fowles
If you're cross-eyed and have dyslexia, can you read all right?
Old 02-22-2005, 02:22 PM   #40
johnfowles

Oops Erica
I assume that you deliberately posted this reference to Jon Stewart the comedian which would definitely have been a "Small Talk" forum topic
Although Gord tries his best to be funny in his on-stage comments in no sense could you call Gord a comedian surely??
No the John Stewart being discussed here is the singer who is the subject of sites such as http://members.aol.com/clackclack/
John Fowles
Old 02-22-2005, 02:36 PM   #41
bjorn

quote:Originally posted by johnfowles:
Quote:
Originally posted by Sundreme:
Oops Erica
John Fowles
Well this is true John. But in my defense, I DID end my post with "Rock on Jo(h)n Stewart" Surely this ties in with music and by extension Gordon Lightfoot and would therefor be permissable on this board.
Erica
bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:36 PM   #42
Sundreme

quote:Originally posted by johnfowles:
Quote:
Originally posted by Sundreme:
Oops Erica
John Fowles
Well this is true John. But in my defense, I DID end my post with "Rock on Jo(h)n Stewart" Surely this ties in with music and by extension Gordon Lightfoot and would therefor be permissable on this board.
Erica
Sundreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:46 PM   #43
johnfowles

, I DID end my post with "Rock on Jo(h)n Stewart" Erica
No doubt that was your comical intention but unless these old eyes are deceiving me you omitted the vital parentheses(bracket)
John Fowles
Now to delete some spurious duplicated replies of mine that have mysteriously appeared above
Old 02-22-2005, 02:46 PM   #44
johnfowles

, I DID end my post with "Rock on Jo(h)n Stewart" Erica
No doubt that was your comical intention but unless these old eyes are deceiving me you omitted the vital parentheses(bracket)
John Fowles
Now to delete some spurious duplicated replies of mine that have mysteriously appeared above
Old 07-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #45
gary g

Default Re: John Stewart

was John Stewert the replacement for Nick Reynolds, or was there someone else in the line up after Nick left? Also I wonder what happened to Reynolds?
gary g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:00 PM   #46
gene

No, John replaced Dave Guard, who left the group. Nick is still alive, but is reportedly in poor health. John had visited with Nick on the day he had his fatal stroke.
gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:08 AM   #47
geodeticman.5

That Woodsong site is great; thanks Station and jj. Another artist I looked for in there I had a used LP of long ago, and would kill to have again featured what I found out tonight is a classic tune of the Great Lakes regional folk history.

I can't remember his last name, George (.....) , singing "Fire In the Jack Pines" on an album titled same. He sounded very much like a young UA Lightfoot is why it caught my attention when I tried it in used folk aisles for about 50 cents.

I googled, yahoo'd, ask'd, info.com'd - all the big boys' search engines for the song ...Jack Pines, and I kept getting references to the proliferation of the Jack Pine species of tree after wildland fires, because they had a unique "serotinous" pine-cone that hides seeds from fire, and releases them afterwards from heat. Fascinating, but totally irrelevant. I'm sorry.

OK the song - I finally found in the only musical reference from searches by a lady named Degan, who sings celtic folk and just about everything traditional including "Shortnin' Bread...." , but no George (....). Does ANYBODY know who this was, and his great cover of Fire In the Jack Pines ? I realize this is off-line from the thread, but we seem to be cutting a little more slack these days Thanks
~geo Steve
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:27 AM   #48
gary g

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene View Post
No, John replaced Dave Guard, who left the group. Nick is still alive, but is reportedly in poor health. John had visited with Nick on the day he had his fatal stroke.
Gene - thanks for the info on John S. and Nick . I still have most of their albums from the 60's.
garyg
gary g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #49
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodeticman.5 View Post
Fascinating, but totally irrelevant. I'm sorry.
steve, in my opinion, you apologize too much (and you're not even a Canuck, lol)

hey, I don't know this singer but if it aint here http://www.ibiblio.org/folkindex/index.htm then I don't know where it would be found online

btw, when they re-did this site, all my posts got cloned as stationmaster's ...as I mentioned, it was through browsing ed mullen's site that I found woodsongs.com - I can't believe it was only 5 years ago, seems like a decade ago ....ron, has also highly recommended that others enjoy this site - I refer folks to it weekly in my non-cyber life

goodluck with the George hunt! and I'm very "sorry" I couldn't assist, lol
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #50
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
steve, in my opinion, you apologize too much (and you're not even a Canuck, lol)

btw, when they re-did this site, all my posts got cloned as stationmaster's ...
i agree james.. he apologizes too much! lol now he'll be sorry for bein' sorry..lol

and i have noticed your old posts being credited to stationmaster...hmmm..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote