banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #26
charlene

Nothing planned for presentation/ceremony - conflicting schedules..etc.etc..
Just heard from CanPost..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:44 PM   #27
charlene

first day issues are on an envelope..they are postmarked with the date of issue and city-toronto.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:50 PM   #28
charlene

Vickie - I'm sure CAnPost employees at the order desk will be like the fellow you spoke to and the woman I spoke with. She asked how he was doing, she was so upset when she heard he was ill and knew he was at Massey recently etc..She offered to check for me about the presentation and would get back to me..I gave her my phone number and e-mail...she had a good laff at the 'lightfootfan' e-mail addy..
and she did check and e-mailed me back shortly after saying 'sorry -there was no presentation planned' ..she even added a 'sad' face icon...

how nice was that...?? AND if I wanted she would have done it all in French! lolol
Old 06-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #29
Jesse Joe

Mais oui les Canadiens sont du monde si gentils, n'est-ce pas Charline ? :D

[ June 13, 2007, 18:28: Message edited by: Jesse-Joe D18 ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #30
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:
first day issues are on an envelope..they are postmarked with the date of issue and city-toronto.
Thanks for the links. I think I understand.

Just to add my voice to the complimentary words about the customer service at CanPost (it's a painless way to go folks), the rep was most pleasant. I told him that I had no idea exactly what I was ordering, but I was a big Lightfoot fan. I believe his response was "Oh, shore". Whatever that means.

[ June 13, 2007, 19:40: Message edited by: RM ]
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:10 PM   #31
Borderstone

I like that stamp too. In fact,had I been in charge of the making of the "GG" LP cover,I'd have made it look that way.

I think I'm part Canadian by the way,I'm form the greeat Lakes area,I love GLs music and I've always talked funny anyway. :D LOL!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:30 PM   #32
charlene

[quote]Originally posted by RM:
Quote:
I believe his response was "Oh, shore". Whatever that means.
LOL!!

ya gotta get yer ears checked eh?

lol
Old 06-14-2007, 08:55 AM   #33
Gitchigumee

I hope they still have 'em in July when I'm passing through Ontario!
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #34
Dream Street Rose

Thank you everyone for all the information. I just called the 800 number and spoke to a wonderful gentleman. I ordered stamps and postcards. I am soooooooooo excited. :D

God Bless you all.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:29 AM   #35
Madeleine

Thanks, Char for all the info re the commemorative stamps. I've gotta get some for me and my friens! It's been in the 100-degrees temp here in sunny Calif. Hope we get some of your Canadian air to cool down!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:08 PM   #36
Destiny Intruding

Congrats to Gord! I'm very proud of his stamp.
I've been a music fanatic for 40+ years and he is my absolute favorite artist...I listen to him now more than ever...he soothes my soul and I am very grateful for his music.
Best to all of you!

KJ
Destiny Intruding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:39 PM   #37
charlene

we've had 98+ weather as well..no rain here for 3 weeks in toronto and area. my grass is brown..today was clear and crisp and no humidity..approx.85..

cooler down by the lake where i am now. magnificent full moon casting a silvery light along the water towards the shore and a magnificent fireworks display by italy out on the water in a competition going all week. (festival of fire)
canada is on sunday night, u.s. on the 4th and finale on the 7th. the lights are twinkling in towns on the south shore of lake ontario in upper new york state!

From the 40th floor facing the lake the view can't be beat.(bldg.i'm in is a 3 min.walk from the lake down by harbourfront/spadina/queens quay area)

Beauty of a night down by the CNTower/Dome area..boats on the lake, planes at the island airport, fireworks and a full moon. gotta love it.
it would only be better if there were Lightfoot concerts at the Church of Gord and you folks were here too!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:45 PM   #38
RWGuinn

Send a message via AIM to RWGuinn

'swcuse me--but that was an very nasty post.
We have had exactly 6 hours maximum break in the rain in the past 2 weeks--and that was the night Gord was in Austin.
I am buying Gopherwood futures, and I wish somebody could chase off all the critters lining up in pairs out by the garage...
RWGuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:22 AM   #39
Yuri

Hi Folks,

Haven't read through all the preceding posts so I hope I'm not repeating the images. The packaging for the stamps is rather interesting. Looks like a round coaster for a glass but opens up to reveal the stamps. Eight stamps per package with two of each artist. The Lightfoot package has the stamp image on the front and a description of the artists on the reverse.

A wonderful interview with Gord on his being honoured with the release of the stamps.
http://www.cbc.ca/video/ (6 items down on right side column - Says CBC.ca "Consumer Life"
Humble as usual, Gord deflects attention by naming other Canadian artists such as Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings as equally deserving. I had to chuckle with Gord stating that with this stamp he could travel the world without leaving home

Best to all....

Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:25 AM   #40
Auburn Annie

Quote:
Originally posted by Gitchigumee:
I hope they still have 'em in July when I'm passing through Ontario!
If I heard it right they were printing 6 million of these stamps so - in spite of the run by Lightfoot fans - I expect there will still be a few available
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:31 AM   #41
Yuri

Article in Saturday's CBC Website entitled "Lightfoot Delights In Postage Stamp Honour"

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2...anadapost.html

Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:28 PM   #42
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

This is very annoying
after registering on the Canada Post(es) site I found a few days later that that action apparently qualified me for a missive
from their programme director complete with a copy of their quarterly collectors magazine and a very nice illustrated
"Details" brochure on the 4 stamps special "graced" by a cover photo of Paul Anka.At the time Susan remarked that it was a
pity it was not Gord on the cover. Curses then to find a new item on ebay yesterday:-
GORDON LIGHTFOOT - RARE DETAILS STAMP CATALOG - CANADA
with this picture

The above jpeg is 401x 800 pixels 46207 bytes
click for a larger 642x800 version 106720 bytes
the seller explained
"The magazine was printed with various cover photos. EXCELLENT collector items all on their own!!"
Grrr Grrr
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:11 PM   #43
charlene

i have mine and it is FABULOUS!!!!!!!
the artwork/design/concept is absolutely exceptional.
i cannot stop looking at it.
lol
i will get my on-line order this week but found a post office on Yonge St. (on my way to Sam The Record Man) open this canada day weekend!!

the only fault i can find is not issuing the stamps as individuals instead of a 4 pack.
the pics of each artist are wonderful.

AND the best part?!?!?!
- ya DON'T have to lick them! they are self-ADHESIVE!
LOL
Old 07-03-2007, 11:48 AM   #44
charlene

I've just rec'd my package from CANPOST> The postcards are gorgeous..
front is pic of Lightfoot as the stamp shows..back has pre-printed stamp..
the souvenir sheets are one of each performer on a circular (like an album/cd) sheet approx. 4 inches in diameter. there are no small envelope seals with them as there are in the booklet of 8 stamps..
they really have outdone themselves! canpost has had some beautiful stamps in the past but this concept is very, very impressive.

[ July 04, 2007, 16:51: Message edited by: charlene ]
Old 07-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #45
Gord H

I just picked up my 4 stamp package today, I know the postal clerks here very well, if they get a 2nd one in... I get first dibs on the large GL poster out in the hallway.

Postal clerk, said first one is mine *** rats*** lol lol.
Gord H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:49 PM   #46
charlene

Gord - I've got a request in at the Whitby P.O...
lol
Old 07-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #47
jj

hey there, hope all well
a nice occasion for sure and congrats to Gord and the others plus hopes for more of our living artists to be honoured in a follow up

as for personal taste, I prefer rectangular stamps and I really have never liked that hood ornament-like Lightfoot font and especially having it plastered on the front of his forehead - the font for Gordon, Lightfoot and Canada, imo, clash unlike that of the Murray issue, very tasty

am surprised there's no protective cardboard packaging or sleeve to protect the set the way they've done in the past but I suppose most of cost in packaging but they've gone all out before

the GL stamp catalogue cover is nice (no chrome Lightfoot font, no wonder they're worth something on ebay ) as are the postcards and so is the first day issue in that it's got the select song lyrics but I'd rather have seen EMR or CRT lyric segment than IYCRMM for numerous reasons but there's no bad choice and I guess it bought the farm...the other tunes are Big Yellow Taxi, Snowbird and Diana

can throw some GL catalogue covers and first day issue copies into next GL convention raffle

honestly, was hoping for perhaps a previously unreleased pic of Gord but they chose the most recognizable for sure...I remember in an old proposed stamp I didn't even put 'Lightfoot' on the stamp, just figured it went without saying

anyone hear the songs of canada segment on cbc radio on Canada Day, July 1? I was driving in from out of town and heard a portion - various artists paid tribute to Canadian songwriters backuped up by CBC radio orchestra - Sexsmith sang the Mountains & Marianne, The Last Time... and Now & Then...all versions sounded appealingly miserable ...then I believe Sarah Harmer came on but I had to tend to some stuff and missed that...I imagine both of these guys will one day be on stamps also

happy USA Day, travel safe + cheers, in that order
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #48
charlene

I wondered about his name on his forehead too..while no one else has theirs like that!

Yep- IYCRMM bought the farm and I'm pretty sure he had some input into what lyrics would be used..as well as font/picture..

I missed the CBC show altho I had read about it and mentally made a note to tune in..

where have you been?????
Old 07-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #49
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by jj:
Sexsmith sang the Mountains & Marianne, The Last Time... and Now & Then...all versions sounded appealingly miserable ...
Appealingly miserable.....

jj,

With your approval, I would like to adopt that as my personal motto.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:01 AM   #50
Gord H

Where the heck can we all get a copy of that Details magazine with GL on it? Tried looking at the Canada Post website, only thing I see is a subscription for Collections, nothing for Details.
Gord H is offline   Reply With Quote