banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2005, 04:38 PM   #1251
<.>

the pony man has always been one of my favorites. It's what got me started into listening to Gord. i also like bells of the evening, carefree highway, the ecmond fitzgerald, and softly.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:49 PM   #1252
unapKnill

Wow. Favorite Gordon song is not the easiest choice in the world. I would have to say its a coin flip between "Cherokee Bend" and "Now and Then". Now and then is just an amazing piece all the way around, especially his vocal usage during the song, and Cherokee Bend, I don't know, Ive just always been really into that song. Maybe its because it's often overlooked in Gordon lore with all the other great tunes he has put out. But anyways, thats as close as I can narrow it down.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:49 PM   #1253
Kenmorr23

Wow. Favorite Gordon song is not the easiest choice in the world. I would have to say its a coin flip between "Cherokee Bend" and "Now and Then". Now and then is just an amazing piece all the way around, especially his vocal usage during the song, and Cherokee Bend, I don't know, Ive just always been really into that song. Maybe its because it's often overlooked in Gordon lore with all the other great tunes he has put out. But anyways, thats as close as I can narrow it down.
Kenmorr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:56 PM   #1254
Chris Castleberry

Rainbow Trout.
Chris Castleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:20 PM   #1255
Borderstone

Hey Chris,that's one of my favorites too. Although quite a short song,I love the storybook simplicity of "Rainbow Trout". Not to mention that I can sing along with it easily.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:12 PM   #1256
Chris Castleberry

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
Hey Chris,that's one of my favorites too. Although quite a short song,I love the storybook simplicity of "Rainbow Trout". Not to mention that I can sing along with it easily.
Oh, yeah... It's one of those songs that's made great by Gords voice, not his guitar picking.
Chris Castleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:49 PM   #1257
<Wendy>

My favorite Lightfoot song... very difficult to choose!! I do love "Beautiful" and "Song for a Winter's Night". If I have to pick one and only one it would be "Fine as Fine Can Be". Here's the story: My first Gordon Lightfoot concert was in the summer of 1979, in RI right at the ocean, and I was expecting my first child. The concert was great until he had to stop playing because the air was so damp that it was going to ruin his guitar. Anyway, that fall she was born and last year she danced with dad to that song at her wedding. It was a most perfect moment!
Old 10-20-2005, 08:49 PM   #1258
<Wendy>

My favorite Lightfoot song... very difficult to choose!! I do love "Beautiful" and "Song for a Winter's Night". If I have to pick one and only one it would be "Fine as Fine Can Be". Here's the story: My first Gordon Lightfoot concert was in the summer of 1979, in RI right at the ocean, and I was expecting my first child. The concert was great until he had to stop playing because the air was so damp that it was going to ruin his guitar. Anyway, that fall she was born and last year she danced with dad to that song at her wedding. It was a most perfect moment!
Old 10-21-2005, 07:34 AM   #1259
Sydney Steve

What a lovely story Wendy - now that is in itself worthy of a song ...
Quote:
that fall she was born and last year she danced with dad to that song at her wedding.
You have warmed some hearts (but dampened some tissues), many of the inhabitants in this website are incorrigible romantics...

Your sentiments (while "Beautiful"), have probably contributed to some tears too...

[ October 21, 2005, 07:50: Message edited by: Sydney Steve ]
Old 10-21-2005, 07:27 PM   #1260
DeeDee aka fairydrum

For reasons I posted in a thread I just started, "Beautiful" is my favorite song. It is just a truly "Beautiful" song that seemed to perfectly describe my love for my wife some 26+ years ago when we were engaged.

As I noted in my post, "Beautiful" touched me so much, that I had a talented singer friend of mine perform it as our last dance at our wedding reception some 26 years ago next week. I can't wait to hear the man perform it himself tomorrow evening in Boston.
DeeDee aka fairydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:27 PM   #1261
BarryS

For reasons I posted in a thread I just started, "Beautiful" is my favorite song. It is just a truly "Beautiful" song that seemed to perfectly describe my love for my wife some 26+ years ago when we were engaged.

As I noted in my post, "Beautiful" touched me so much, that I had a talented singer friend of mine perform it as our last dance at our wedding reception some 26 years ago next week. I can't wait to hear the man perform it himself tomorrow evening in Boston.
BarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 12:17 AM   #1262
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Tomorrow evening in Boston, eh? I know you'll have a great time, Barry. Meanwhile, back in Los Angeles, I will be at the Eagles concert at the Staples Center. They're not Gord... but, pretty darned good!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 02:41 AM   #1263
mercedes

.... and Sheryl, I hope they sing what is (IMHO) the best song of the new millenium thus far ... "Hole in the World".
mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 01:10 PM   #1264
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Ended up with really bad cold, so I won't be going to the Eagles. Well, I still have their greatest hits on CD. That'll have to suffice. &lt;sigh&gt;
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 01:19 PM   #1265
mnmouse

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Dixon:
.... and Sheryl, I hope they sing what is (IMHO) the best song of the new millenium thus far ... "Hole in the World".
Mike, you are spot on about that one. I was listening to the Eagles on Friday in my car, and thinking this was one of the best songs I have heard in a very long time.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:27 PM   #1266
DeeDee aka fairydrum

I am also a huge Eagles fan who would jump at the chance to see them again. Next time they head back to New England, maybe.

But tonight it's Gordon Lightfoot, and I'm psyched. I've been playing the Gord's Gold CD the past few days getting ready for tonight.
DeeDee aka fairydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 02:27 PM   #1267
BarryS

I am also a huge Eagles fan who would jump at the chance to see them again. Next time they head back to New England, maybe.

But tonight it's Gordon Lightfoot, and I'm psyched. I've been playing the Gord's Gold CD the past few days getting ready for tonight.
BarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:36 PM   #1268
jannie

I'm a longtime Gord fan. My favorite song is the Canadian Railroad Trilogy because it speaks so much to his country's history. I've never been to Canada yet but many of his tunes have inspired me to go. Of course, I absolutely love a lot of his other songs too numerous to mention right now for this Louisiana sleepyhead. G'nite yall.
jannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:36 PM   #1269
strapper

I'm a longtime Gord fan. My favorite song is the Canadian Railroad Trilogy because it speaks so much to his country's history. I've never been to Canada yet but many of his tunes have inspired me to go. Of course, I absolutely love a lot of his other songs too numerous to mention right now for this Louisiana sleepyhead. G'nite yall.
strapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:45 PM   #1270
jannie

....I couldn't sleep so I'm back with my #2 and #3 selections...drum roll please! My #2 Christian Island and #3 The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald...I'll round out my top ten but have to give it some serious thought. I just love the melody of the sea ballad Christian Island plain and simple. As for 'Fitz' its simply a classic song and has to be on anybody's short list of his best work. I bought the new CD Harmony and I find myslef singing about the No Tell Motel a lot but the title song is great too.
jannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:45 PM   #1271
strapper

....I couldn't sleep so I'm back with my #2 and #3 selections...drum roll please! My #2 Christian Island and #3 The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald...I'll round out my top ten but have to give it some serious thought. I just love the melody of the sea ballad Christian Island plain and simple. As for 'Fitz' its simply a classic song and has to be on anybody's short list of his best work. I bought the new CD Harmony and I find myslef singing about the No Tell Motel a lot but the title song is great too.
strapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:04 AM   #1272
myk

My favorite song is It's Worth Believin'. It is hard to pinpoint only one thing that makes this song my favorite. From a broader perspective, it makes me think back to a close, romantic relationship I had with a girl in college. We were very much in love and talked about marriage and having children someday. For various reasons, our love for each other slowly faded over the years, and we parted ways. I think that this song brings back those feelings that you have for a person that you are deeply in love with but are nearing the end of the road of your time together on earth. There isn't any one thing that causes the breakup, it's something that happens slowly over time. Then it builds to the point like described in this song, where you and the other person are just so disconnected and you wonder how something that was once so good got to be so bad.

This song brings up the very sad and empty feeling that you get in your heart at such a time when you start to realize that you won't ever be with this person again in the same capacity. I think that this is the most difficult aspect about parting ways with a loved one...realizing your future without them. You may fall in love and be in a much more fulfilling relationship again, but you will never be with that same person again.

This song is like a bag of pine needles that I used to have in my bureau drawer as a child and still have to this day. Thirty years later I find myself holding that bag to my nose and smelling the familiar smell of pine and being transported back to a different time in my life. That's what Gordon's songs, especially this one, do for me.
myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:42 PM   #1273
<Lisa>

The Way I Feel...What a great song...I have
been listening to Gordon Lightfoot since I was
Old 11-11-2005, 08:42 PM   #1274
<Lisa>

The Way I Feel...What a great song...I have
been listening to Gordon Lightfoot since I was
Old 11-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #1275
fairychick

Is this a question that can be answered? I first heard Lightfoot back in 1970 and was captivated from the start. So that's 35 years of listening to and hearing his words, music, and voice. It would almost be easier to say this is my favorite song from...and go through each album.

Without pulling out albums, or CDs, or looking at a discography, I've thought of two immediately though. The first is "Affair on 8th Avenue". It's haunting. The second is "Whisper My Name", although I'm not sure why since parts of seem almost like "bubblegum".

Yet now I'm thinking about "Heaven Help the Devil" and "If You Need Me" and....

How fortunate to grow up listening to Joni Mitchell and Gordon Lightfoot, and have them joined by Jackson Browne, Paul Simon, and so many others. It was all worth it.

tara
fairychick is offline   Reply With Quote