banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2008, 11:10 PM   #26
podunklander

Default Re: Lightfoot Tribute Show

Hi John - wooHOO I really enjoyed listening to this great job!!! But I felt like telling all those folks gabbing in the background to shut up already! hehe
Old 04-17-2008, 01:59 AM   #27
Nightingale

Patti, you are very welcome and I hope you keep posting your thoughts and poems for us to read.

Sugar Creek....follow the yellow brick road...lol.
No, really...we are right in the middle between Indianapolis and Lafayette.

Last edited by Nightingale; 03-31-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:08 AM   #28
Nightingale

Sorry, I have to keep my posts short or my computer unlogs me and then I lose whatever I have written....so frustrating!

Anyway, it looks like corfidians are interested and jumping into this thread with their thoughts so that's great!

Sir John, I like that cabin...nice place for music and fellowship. That just seems like the perfect place for Gordon's music.

I will start checking around here and see what options we have for get togethers and places to play.

John, your road trip sounds like it will be an adventure....hope it will be as much fun for you as it sounds.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #29
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
This is a great pic of that {Gord Clone} with his beautiful 12 string Gibson, man that guitar must sound awesome... Can I ask what type of strings you use on that instrument Ron ?

Hi Jesse J and thanks for your interest. The strings I use are the "Elixir" ones with the "nanoweb" coating. I find they last forever and a day and can retain their sound even after being played by others who don't necessarily have the same metabolism as mine. I use light gauge on the B45 12 string and medium light on the D18 six string. Prior to that I used the same ones Gord does which I discovered from reading the information on Valerie Magee's web site. I changed to Elixir's after discovering that Alison Krauss' band Union Station used them and I really like the sound they produce. Elixir strings are a little on the pricey side but well worth the investment I've found. Cheers, Ron.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:05 PM   #30
lighthead2toe

Sorry folks. That post was intended to go through without the pic but my computer skills failed in the attempt. This Apple imac thing they sold me isn't working the way they told me it would. Guess I'll have to return to the therapy class I belonged to for us older geeks who still are suffering withdrawals over the demise of the rotary phone. RJ.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:18 AM   #31
Jesse Joe

Thanks for the info Ron, indeed Elixir strings are little more expensive, but I thought it was because they were so rust resistant. For Gord & Terry, It's Ernie Ball strings if Im not mistaken. I tried Ernie Balls but did not like them, I use mostly D'addario light guage on both the 6 & 12 string. But you do replace them more often. I will give Elixir a try... Thank's again man.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #32
charlene

To get them to last longer just boil them like Gord used to back in the old days..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #33
Jenney

Not the nylon ones though!
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #34
Jesse Joe

Are you serious Char ?
Old 04-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #35
charlene

yep - Jason Fowler told the story at the Trib shows at Hugh's room several times over the years..
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...t=jason+fowler
Jason Fowler www.jasonfowler.ca took centre stage from his spot as
guitarist in the house band. His array of guitars on stage was amazing, and
he played beautifully. He spoke of trying to emulate the 4 "T's" of
Lightfoot guitar playing and performing - Tone, Timing, Tuning and Taste.
And he did just that. He sang what he felt was the one gem on the David
Foster produced album East of Midnight - I'll Tag Along. Well - it was
fabulous - it was a perfect fit for Jason's voice and guitar playing. I
loved it. I love that song.
Jason told of how he worked in a small Toronto guitar shop and
Lightfoot would come in for strings and sometimes chat. When Jason made his
first CD he gave Gord a copy and said even if you never play it I'd like you
to have it. Gord took with thanks. A week later he came back and admitted he
hadn't listened to it because he didn't have a CD player. But if Jason could
transfer it to cassette he'd give it a listen! LOL
Jason did that and Gord came back a couple of weeks later and pulled
out some papers from his pocket. He had taken notes about the CD. He didn't
give Jason the papers but read them to him. LOL
He also told the story that Gord told him about boiling strings when
he, Red and John would take their strings off once a week and boil them -
Red Hot Boilers. He said he couldn't prove it but he believed there was some
molecular process that happened in the strings after boiling and they
sounded better. It cleaned them and took the dirt and oils off them. He
still does it with his new strings! ...Jason had mentioned the guitar
lessons he had taken along with classical and Gord gave him a baggie with
some Red Hot Boilers. There was a red strip on the bag meaning R for Ready.
(or Reddies!)....A blue strip meant "Boil - B for Boil!"
This was too funny.... An hour later a panicked Gord called Jason
back at the store and said "Jason - don't boil the nylon ones - they'll
melt!" LOL!!
He then performed Cold On The Shoulder - smooth, cool, fabulous.

from 2006:
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...t=jason+fowler

Jason Fowler www.jasonfowler.ca sang a song from the “obscure ’82 Shadows LP” – “Baby Step Back” His exemplary guitar playing was evident all evening and in this song as well as the next one he did after he recounted the “Boiler” story. This is the story of Lightfoot telling him about how to boil steel guitar strings. We all had a good laugh again as he recounted how Lightfoot phoned him from home to tell him not to boil his classical guitar strings “cuz they’re plastic and they’ll melt!”
Jason then sang one of my favourites – “Fine As Fine Can Be.” This was done much as Lightfoot does it – soft and feathery like a lullaby should be. This song says what I feel about my daughter Lisa and what Jason must feel for his little girl. Lightfoot melts a parents heart with this one.

Before David introduced the next artist he shared the story about how he and Rachel (super organizer of the tribute shows) played a little parlour game last year when Jason told his “Boiler” story. Whenever Jason said “boil/boiler” they took a swig of beer and it was quite surprising how quickly they finished off a couple of pints!

then in 2007:
David Newland mentioned he was trying to get the show in on time and this year Jason Fowler didn’t tell his renowned “Boilers” story. This also didn’t allow David to play the drinking game he so loved last year – taking a drink whenever Jason said “Boilers”, and Jory didn’t recount his “Mother of a Miner’s Child/girlfriend/yahoos yelling out songs at Massey/breakup story. It could all be condensed into “Mother of a Boilers Child.”
Lol
Old 04-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #36
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
Sorry folks. That post was intended to go through without the pic but my computer skills failed in the attempt. This Apple imac thing they sold me isn't working the way they told me it would. Guess I'll have to return to the therapy class I belonged to for us older geeks who still are suffering withdrawals over the demise of the rotary phone. RJ.
Quite so you silly old duffer
I myself sorely miss my abacus

and somewhrere around I am sure I still have my old moth-eaten paper type "ready reckoner"

the small version of a picture on an interesting wiki at:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_livre
the caption there reads:-
"A page from a ready reckoner published in 1854 shows that conversions between Jersey currency, sterling and livres were still being carried out at that time"
That is Old Jersey (just off the Normandy coast)
both of which were of course obselete after they introduced small hand held pocket electronic calculators, originally sold in the UK for a few hundred pounds I recall

The first Sinclair calculator, was the world's first calculator to be powered by button cells, was incredibly thin for the time, summer 1972.This first caculator was called the "Executive" and was a product of the imagination of Britain's genius "Uncle" Sir Clive Sinclair

Who a few years later (1980) introduced what
was my own first computer (I still have it with its ginormous total built-in "memory" of 1 Kilobyte, yes 1000 bytes !!)

the ZX80
that is a picture on a most interesting blog page at:-
http://80sactualtec.blogspot.com/
WARNING lots of pictures so don't even think about opening it RM!!

To Ron (Meason)
Ever mindful of your dial up problems I have tried in this message to select only small images which I wanted to include for artistic reasons within the text rather than show at the bottom as thumbnails, sorry and I have also tried hard to "condsolidate my words", by which I take it you dislike my verbosity.
Don't jet me wrong Ron. It has just taken me about 7 minuters to bring up my new ebay thread to check your exact criticism.
So I fully sympathise
But seriously Ron (Jones) you can exceedingly easily edit your post to remove the repeated picture, yes even on your MAC.
Under your post you should see a little icon saying temptingly "edit" press it and you can then amend your text and delete the picture . just use your (Apple) invented mouse!

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:56 PM   #37
lighthead2toe

I've heard about the boiling process from some of the credible voices in Gord's camp as well. I've never tried it but it makes sense that it would work fine. I don't think it would work on Elixir strings though because of the "nanoweb" and other types of coating they put on those strings. RJ.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #38
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
Quite so you silly old duffer
I myself sorely miss my abacus

and somewhrere around I am sure I still have my old moth-eaten paper type "ready reckoner"

the small version of a picture on an interesting wiki at:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_livre
the caption there reads:-
"A page from a ready reckoner published in 1854 shows that conversions between Jersey currency, sterling and livres were still being carried out at that time"
That is Old Jersey (just off the Normandy coast)
both of which were of course obselete after they introduced small hand held pocket electronic calculators, originally sold in the UK for a few hundred pounds I recall

The first Sinclair calculator, was the world's first calculator to be powered by button cells, was incredibly thin for the time, summer 1972.This first caculator was called the "Executive" and was a product of the imagination of Britain's genius "Uncle" Sir Clive Sinclair

Who a few years later (1980) introduced what
was my own first computer (I still have it with its ginormous total built-in "memory" of 1 Kilobyte, yes 1000 bytes !!)

the ZX80
that is a picture on a most interesting blog page at:-
http://80sactualtec.blogspot.com/
WARNING lots of pictures so don't even think about opening it RM!!

To Ron (Meason)
Ever mindful of your dial up problems I have tried in this message to select only small images which I wanted to include for artistic reasons within the text rather than show at the bottom as thumbnails, sorry and I have also tried hard to "condsolidate my words", by which I take it you dislike my verbosity.
Don't jet me wrong Ron. It has just taken me about 7 minuters to bring up my new ebay thread to check your exact criticism.
So I fully sympathise
But seriously Ron (Jones) you can exceedingly easily edit your post to remove the repeated picture, yes even on your MAC.
Under your post you should see a little icon saying temptingly "edit" press it and you can then amend your text and delete the picture . just use your (Apple) invented mouse!
Thank you Sir John. I will make note of your instructions for future reference. RJ.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #39
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
To get them to last longer just boil them like Gord used to back in the old days..
I had never heard of this before, really interesting story... And to think I learned this from a Gal that only plays Air Geetar, no strings !
Old 04-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #40
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
To Ron (Meason)
Thanks for the consideration, and I DO enjoy reading about technology and its accompanying gizmos. My first computer was a Commodore 64, so I know a little about the old-timers, and I continue to find the latest stuff advancing at a pace that I'm unable to keep up with.

Anyway, it was just a couple of suggestions.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #41
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
He also told the story that Gord told him about boiling strings when
he, Red and John would take their strings off once a week and boil them -
Red Hot Boilers.
I was wondering if ALL the strings were taken off a guitar at the same time. I've been told that that isn't a good idea......one at a time is preferable. "I don't know, but I've been told".........
Old 04-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #42
talbot10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
I was wondering if ALL the strings were taken off a guitar at the same time. I've been told that that isn't a good idea......one at a time is preferable. "I don't know, but I've been told".........
It is a rumor........ Like an urban legend....take em all off and don't worry about it.
Bill
Old 04-18-2008, 10:48 PM   #43
charlene

yes - I am "stringless'..no need to boil anything..or remove things one at a time..as Billyboy says..take 'em all off at once..

Old 04-18-2008, 10:55 PM   #44
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbot10 View Post
It is a rumor........ Like an urban legend....take em all off and don't worry about it.
Bill
Thank you ! All these years of "fretting" (no pun intended) over nothing.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:32 AM   #45
Nightingale

Hey, there's always something cooking up near Sugar Creek...lol.

We will see what we can do.....You bringin' the hotdogs?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #46
charlene

Aengus Finnan, Terry Tufts, Jory Nash - Wayne, NJ Cabin Concert.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CabinConcert1small.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1567   Click image for larger version

Name:	CabinConcert2small.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1568  
Old 04-24-2008, 08:49 AM   #47
Jesse Joe

Thanks for posting these great pics Charlene.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #48
musky_man

John - sounds great!

Mark
Old 06-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #49
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStinson View Post

I happen to know Red Shea , he has taught many students over the years.
Sorry for your personal loss, John...I trust you've been on the road or busy since Massey but wondered if you will be at the service in Aurora today...take care for now
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #50
JohnStinson

Hi,

Yes I was there in Aurora on Friday at the morning service. Very sad days.

"This time tomorrow we might all be packed and gone..
I believe its best we carry on.."

My new friend Paul Bartlett (who I met at the Pub Jam at McVeighs May8) and I are playing 12 GL tunes tomorrow at the Canadian Legion Hall 444 in East end of Toronto tomorrow. Both Paul and I are two of Red's many students.

Best
john stinson
JohnStinson is offline   Reply With Quote