banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-20-2004, 12:41 AM   #1
Rosanna

Most of you now listened to me long enough to know how much I love this man's music, and everything he is and stands for, so don't shoot. I gave "Harmony" a "strong 9 out of 10" in an earlier topic, and I stick by my oppinion, but there is a part of me that longs for Gord's 70's voice. I almost feel guilt when saying it because I know there is nothing he can do to slow down father time. I stated in that same earlier topic that a few of the songs on this album would take some getting used to, and that is why. I notice on some of these songs, he is not as "nasal" as others. ( once again, don't shoot)! Is it possible that it is not all father time's fault, and that he chooses
or simply ends up writing songs that require
certain vocal styles? Either way, I look forward to seeing this man live once again, and not care either way about anything besides his wonderful music. Any thoughts?
Rosanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:41 AM   #2
Doug Letcher

Most of you now listened to me long enough to know how much I love this man's music, and everything he is and stands for, so don't shoot. I gave "Harmony" a "strong 9 out of 10" in an earlier topic, and I stick by my oppinion, but there is a part of me that longs for Gord's 70's voice. I almost feel guilt when saying it because I know there is nothing he can do to slow down father time. I stated in that same earlier topic that a few of the songs on this album would take some getting used to, and that is why. I notice on some of these songs, he is not as "nasal" as others. ( once again, don't shoot)! Is it possible that it is not all father time's fault, and that he chooses
or simply ends up writing songs that require
certain vocal styles? Either way, I look forward to seeing this man live once again, and not care either way about anything besides his wonderful music. Any thoughts?
Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 06:09 AM   #3
Auburn Annie

"....there is a part of me that longs for Gord's 70's voice...."

Me, too, <insert naughty giggle here> but, golly, there's part of me that longs for the way I looked in the 70s as well. Long time gone now but unlike mere 'photographs and memories,'in Gord's case we have that sound preserved as a forever reminder of what was. What is, is and pretty darn good all things considered (mostly the lifelong smoking.) Thirty years from now his fans will probably be bemoaning the decline of Josh Groban's voice in the same way. For singers I think it's harder on the musical equivalent of leading men (like Gord) than character actors (like Rod Stewart or Joe Cocker, for example) who vocally age less noticeably. They each have their unique sound but expectations are less: raspy is raspy at any age. It doesn't mean they can't sing or interpret songs equally movingly. But if they don't hold a note a long or clearly as they did 20 or 30 years ago, who'll notice?
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 06:09 AM   #4
Auburn Annie

"....there is a part of me that longs for Gord's 70's voice...."

Me, too, <insert naughty giggle here> but, golly, there's part of me that longs for the way I looked in the 70s as well. Long time gone now but unlike mere 'photographs and memories,'in Gord's case we have that sound preserved as a forever reminder of what was. What is, is and pretty darn good all things considered (mostly the lifelong smoking.) Thirty years from now his fans will probably be bemoaning the decline of Josh Groban's voice in the same way. For singers I think it's harder on the musical equivalent of leading men (like Gord) than character actors (like Rod Stewart or Joe Cocker, for example) who vocally age less noticeably. They each have their unique sound but expectations are less: raspy is raspy at any age. It doesn't mean they can't sing or interpret songs equally movingly. But if they don't hold a note a long or clearly as they did 20 or 30 years ago, who'll notice?
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 07:39 AM   #5
Bill

This subject is the precise reason I like the song Harmony the best on the album. His voice is much smoother. I saw him at Wolftrap several years ago and a lot of the songs sounded strained -- like he needed to change keys. Then he went into Minstral of the Dawn and it sounded like the album of years ago!

Gord's a pretty independent artist, but a little producer's advise might lead him to his strengths.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 02:15 PM   #6
Minstrel Man

I'm intrigued by this discussion. There is no doubt that Gord does not have the range or depth in his voice that he used to. Yet, I was really pleased with this album. His voice sounds richer to me than on the previous two albums. I think that there are three things that account for this richness.

1. The production values on this album (recording quality) are excellent. The sound of Harmony seems a lot like the rich recording of Shadows. The music has a richness and depth to it that is partly the recording and mixing.

2. I believe that Gord recorded these tracks in a very relaxed manner. These were experimental demos.

3. The songs written for the album were more in his present vocal range (unlike Cotton Jenny etc.).

Anyway, I think Gord's voice on Harmony is excellent, and less nasally. Not 70's, but I wouldn't have brought up his voice as a point of criticism on this album. To me it's the best I've heard him in years.
Minstrel Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 03:27 PM   #7
violet Blue Horse

I understand. But at the same time, I've been listening to Harmony and I've got Sundown and Summertime Dream in the player as well. I prefer his voice on Harmony, probably for some pretty odd reasons. I keep skipping over the other two CD's.

I've come to appreciate lately, granted I have no other choice, the impact that time makes on a human being, from voice to body to mind. I prefer the voice on Harmony simply because it is who he is now. There is also a richness to his voice, in part because it was indeed so well engineered, that I find very attractive. If I knew little or nothing about him and you played Sundown for me and then Harmony I doubt I would recognize the singer as the same person. But he seems to have come to terms, at least in the studio with his voice and is using it to much better effect than he did on Painter.

quote:Originally posted by Doug Letcher:
Most of you now listened to me long enough to know how much I love this man's music, and everything he is and stands for, so don't shoot. I gave "Harmony" a "strong 9 out of 10" in an earlier topic, and I stick by my oppinion, but there is a part of me that longs for Gord's 70's voice. ?

Old 05-20-2004, 03:27 PM   #8
violet Blue Horse

I understand. But at the same time, I've been listening to Harmony and I've got Sundown and Summertime Dream in the player as well. I prefer his voice on Harmony, probably for some pretty odd reasons. I keep skipping over the other two CD's.

I've come to appreciate lately, granted I have no other choice, the impact that time makes on a human being, from voice to body to mind. I prefer the voice on Harmony simply because it is who he is now. There is also a richness to his voice, in part because it was indeed so well engineered, that I find very attractive. If I knew little or nothing about him and you played Sundown for me and then Harmony I doubt I would recognize the singer as the same person. But he seems to have come to terms, at least in the studio with his voice and is using it to much better effect than he did on Painter.

quote:Originally posted by Doug Letcher:
Most of you now listened to me long enough to know how much I love this man's music, and everything he is and stands for, so don't shoot. I gave "Harmony" a "strong 9 out of 10" in an earlier topic, and I stick by my oppinion, but there is a part of me that longs for Gord's 70's voice. ?

Old 05-21-2004, 01:54 AM   #9
Borderstone

One thing,and one thingonly,that I'll say...on "Painter" he did sound "older" than he is now. On this new CD he sounds younger and in his true present form.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 07:53 AM   #10
Bill

I think he's still got a great voice -- the songs on Harmony show that off better than Painter...but I liked it too.

It's just that some of the songs have that mellower, stronger delivery that harkens back to the silky smooth delivery of yesteryear.

Let's hear it for relaxed demos!
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 09:12 AM   #11
SilverHeels

quote:Originally posted by Bill:
I think he's still got a great voice -- the songs on Harmony show that off better than Painter...but I liked it too.

It's just that some of the songs have that mellower, stronger delivery that harkens back to the silky smooth delivery of yesteryear.

Let's hear it for relaxed demos!

and albums that are 'under' produced.

SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 05:30 PM   #12
MatthewBullis

When John Prine got cancer on his neck in 1997, he quit his 30 year smoking habit, and his voice dropped in singing pitch. He used to sing very high, but now when he sings his hits, he drops down about two keys. John's allright now by the way. If Gord were to quit smoking, and if he is able to continue singing, he may find that he is able to adjust songs he's been singing for years to different keys.
Matthew
Old 05-21-2004, 05:30 PM   #13
MatthewBullis

When John Prine got cancer on his neck in 1997, he quit his 30 year smoking habit, and his voice dropped in singing pitch. He used to sing very high, but now when he sings his hits, he drops down about two keys. John's allright now by the way. If Gord were to quit smoking, and if he is able to continue singing, he may find that he is able to adjust songs he's been singing for years to different keys.
Matthew
Old 05-21-2004, 10:50 PM   #14
Tyler

I too think his voice sounds great on this CD. I had often wondered when in concert why the mixer on the board didn't add some bass. As we all hate to admit, time and age does take its toll, even on Gord.

[This message has been edited by brink (edited May 22, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by brink (edited May 23, 2004).]
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 10:50 PM   #15
brink

I too think his voice sounds great on this CD. I had often wondered when in concert why the mixer on the board didn't add some bass. As we all hate to admit, time and age does take its toll, even on Gord.

[This message has been edited by brink (edited May 23, 2004).]
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 11:07 AM   #16
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by brink:
I too think his voise sounds great on this CD. I had often wondered when in concert why the mixer on the board didn't add some bass. As we all hate to admit, time and age does take its toll, even on Gord.

Well, for one thing, they make the adjustments that Gord wants. He's pretty much in control of the final product.
I think Harmony has a nice mix. I can hear the bass just fine in my stereo.
It sounds richer than APPT, which was way to compressed for my liking. Grant Avenue did a great job mixing Harmony.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:33 PM   #17
Janice

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:
Well, for one thing, they make the adjustments that Gord wants. He's pretty much in control of the final product.
I think Harmony has a nice mix. I can hear the bass just fine in my stereo.
It sounds richer than APPT, which was way to compressed for my liking. Grant Avenue did a great job mixing Harmony.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Cathy, I think Brink's bass comment was with regard to live concerts and the mixing on the board - not the CD.

Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:25 AM   #18
Tyler

That's right, in concert and I was referring to the bass in his voice not the bass intrument. When he played in Denver it sounded kind of tinny (not tiny)and nasally.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:25 AM   #19
brink

That's right, in concert and I was referring to the bass in his voice not the bass intrument. When he played in Denver it sounded kind of tinny (not tiny)and nasally.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote