banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-21-2007, 09:18 PM   #26
Kenmorr23

Hello again to all.

Well, I am learning. The E-bay experience was quite an education. With 30 seconds left on that auction, I was the sole bidder. I had a limit of some $100 over the minimum and was feeling pretty good, although I continued to hit refresh every 5 seconds. With less than a half minute left, I was out bid. I frantically upped my bid by a bit less than another $100 and found that was not good enough. I was inputting yet another bid when time ran out!

OK, I thought. This was likely a rabid fan like myself who has deep pockets and probably could not be denied. Alas. Not so, a couple of days later these tickets began showing up on many web sites priced from $350 to just less than $500 each. To the best of my knowledge, no one has yet ponied up for this kind of gouging.

I found some other tickets 13 rows out for $150 each and executed an order for them which was confirmed by e-mail. About a half hour later, I received a call informing that the vendor did not have these tickets to sell and that the transaction would be cancelled immediately.

I have a banker friend in Ft. Worth who checked around for me, and found some available tickets for face value, but quite far from the stage. They are in reserve now, and I probably will take these unless something better pops up in the next day or so.

My advice to others who want to attend a concert is to stay on top of it and get tickets the day they are available!

As discussed earlier, we have some family commitments that may ultimately interfere with getting to Ft. Worth anyway. But, if there is any way, we will be there.

Hope to meet some of you there.

Tom
Kenmorr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:18 PM   #27
Texas Tom

Hello again to all.

Well, I am learning. The E-bay experience was quite an education. With 30 seconds left on that auction, I was the sole bidder. I had a limit of some $100 over the minimum and was feeling pretty good, although I continued to hit refresh every 5 seconds. With less than a half minute left, I was out bid. I frantically upped my bid by a bit less than another $100 and found that was not good enough. I was inputting yet another bid when time ran out!

OK, I thought. This was likely a rabid fan like myself who has deep pockets and probably could not be denied. Alas. Not so, a couple of days later these tickets began showing up on many web sites priced from $350 to just less than $500 each. To the best of my knowledge, no one has yet ponied up for this kind of gouging.

I found some other tickets 13 rows out for $150 each and executed an order for them which was confirmed by e-mail. About a half hour later, I received a call informing that the vendor did not have these tickets to sell and that the transaction would be cancelled immediately.

I have a banker friend in Ft. Worth who checked around for me, and found some available tickets for face value, but quite far from the stage. They are in reserve now, and I probably will take these unless something better pops up in the next day or so.

My advice to others who want to attend a concert is to stay on top of it and get tickets the day they are available!

As discussed earlier, we have some family commitments that may ultimately interfere with getting to Ft. Worth anyway. But, if there is any way, we will be there.

Hope to meet some of you there.

Tom
Texas Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:36 AM   #28
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Hang in there Tom... sometimes tickets will drive you nuts. You want good seats in Texas and I have good seats I need to sell in PA, go figure. You are correct that you need to stay on top of it, for any concert these days. Register with pollstar and any other thing you can think of, keep up on the fan sites and be ready the minute the tickets go on sale. The box office is often a better bet the first day.

But you'll have fun no matter where you sit, but the closer in you are the less you have to deal with the 'casual' fans, LOL. Elitist ? You bet.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #29
Gitchigumee

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Tom:
The 1984 concert was really special, even so. Lightfoot had lost weight and the voice was perfect. I heard complaints from some in the audience that he did too much of Shadows and Salute, but it was perfect for us. Anyway, I know that the voice is not the same, but it would be a thrill to be close enough to have some interactation with a performer we have admired for more than 35 years. If nothing else, I would love to be able to express gratitude for the hundreds (maybe thousands?-need to do the math) of hours of intense listening pleasure that he has brought into our home.
I would highly encourage you to listen to the Harmony CD and watch the Live in Reno DVD to get an appreciation for the now voice and the now appearance. You know, I've been listening to the Sundown CD the past couple of days because I just bought it, and then I popped in Harmony, and it strikes me the difference--his voice seems lower to me and with a resonating quality to it that is different from when he was younger. It's so easy to forget that he's 68 going on 69 years old if you only listen to the 70's stuff, and to see the years clearly reflected in his face can be quite surprising if you're not acclimated to it. As for me, I loved him when he was very young, I loved him when he was in his prime, and I most definitely love him the way he is now. Its the same guy, just a different version. Not better or worse, just different. And it's refreshing to see someone his age not trying to look and act like he did when he was 30.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:47 PM   #30
Kenmorr23

Gitchigumee: Actually, I have Harmony, APPT, WFY, and Live at Reno. I prize them all, and play them regularly. I am particularly fond of Harmony. I actually prefer much of the later material to some that was produced in the 60s, though my personal preferences seem to cycle from month to month and season to season.

Sorry if the remarks came off as offensive or as disparaging the "mature" Lightfoot. They were not intended as such, but rather stating the obvious that I know he does not sound the same as in 1984. But that does not mean that I expect to see something less than a mesmerizing and dynamic performer with seemingly limitless talent even now wrapped up in a 68 year old frame!

I will be thrilled to catch the current concert in person, and hope that there are more opportunities like this in the years ahead. Still hoping to get some better tickets for this one though!

Tom
Kenmorr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:47 PM   #31
Texas Tom

Gitchigumee: Actually, I have Harmony, APPT, WFY, and Live at Reno. I prize them all, and play them regularly. I am particularly fond of Harmony. I actually prefer much of the later material to some that was produced in the 60s, though my personal preferences seem to cycle from month to month and season to season.

Sorry if the remarks came off as offensive or as disparaging the "mature" Lightfoot. They were not intended as such, but rather stating the obvious that I know he does not sound the same as in 1984. But that does not mean that I expect to see something less than a mesmerizing and dynamic performer with seemingly limitless talent even now wrapped up in a 68 year old frame!

I will be thrilled to catch the current concert in person, and hope that there are more opportunities like this in the years ahead. Still hoping to get some better tickets for this one though!

Tom
Texas Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:12 AM   #32
Gitchigumee

That's good, cuz there are sometimes people who post who are so shocked they can't get over it, which is ridiculous. How can anyone expect someone to be the same 30 and 40 years later, especially with the health problems he's had which would excellerate aging in anyone.

I've spent some time on You Tube yesterday watching some of his most recent performances, and he/his voice seems in my opinion to be getting better and stronger than when I saw him 6 months ago. His range seems broader, and his voice stronger. The perfectionist that I suspect he is, I wouldn't doubt things would continue this direction. I sure wish I knew if he were writing--he's due for a new album!!!
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote