banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
charlene

Default Bobby Vee covers WALLS

BOBBY VEE - new album and cover of WALLS -

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/ap/enterta...ce-more/nc7W9/

Bobby Vee braves Alzheimer's to record once more

In this photo made Dec. 18, 2013, Bobby Vee playing the guitar at his family's Rockhouse Productions in St. Joseph, Minn. Alzheimer's disease forced the 1960s pop idol to stop performing in 2011 and now 70, Vee is releasing what may be the capstone to his career, "The Adobe Sessions." (AP Photo/Jeff Baenen)

In this photo made Dec. 18, 2013, Bobby Vee poses at his family's Rockhouse Productions in St. Joseph, Minn. Alzheimer's disease forced the 1960s pop idol to stop performing in 2011 and now 70, Vee is releasing what may be the capstone to his career, "The Adobe Sessions." (AP Photo/Jeff Baenen)

By JEFF BAENEN
The Associated Press
ST. JOSEPH, Minn. — Bobby Vee still has the infectious smile, bright eyes and boyish good looks of his 1960s pop idol days, when he scored such hits as "Take Good Care of My Baby," ''Rubber Ball" and "The Night Has a Thousand Eyes."
Alzheimer's disease forced Vee to stop performing in 2011, but the 70-year-old Vee — who helped a young Bob Dylan get his start — is now releasing what may be the capstone to his career.

"The Adobe Sessions" is a loose jam session recorded with his family. It features some of Vee's favorite songs from Townes Van Zandt, Gordon Lightfoot and Ricky Nelson.
"There's some songs I liked," Vee told The Associated Press on a recent sunny winter day while at Rockhouse Productions, his and his sons' recording studio in Minnesota. "I wanted to do some more music."
The album is set for release on Feb. 3, the 55th anniversary of the plane crash that killed rock 'n' roll pioneers Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson. The tragedy also launched Vee's career. That night, as a 15-year-old named Robert Velline from Fargo, N.D., he stepped on stage at the Moorhead National Guard Armory to take Holly's place.
Within months the young singer and his band, The Shadows, which included his older brother Bill on lead guitar, recorded Vee's "Suzie Baby" for Soma Records in Minneapolis. It was a regional hit, and Vee soon signed with Liberty Records.
He went on to record 38 Top 100 hits from 1959 to 1970, hitting the top of the charts in 1961 with the Carole King-Gerry Goffin song "Take Care Good of My Baby" and reaching No. 2 with the follow-up, "Run to Him."
"I always wanted him to do well. He became like a little brother to me," said producer Snuff Garrett, 75, who produced Vee's early Liberty hits and went on to produce hits for Gary Lewis and the Playboys and Cher. "I thought I did good when I picked him up."

Vee kept recording into the 2000s. But a few years ago, while in England, he felt something strange. He said he couldn't really describe it.
"But it just came one time, and I thought, 'Gee, this is an odd thing.' And it never came back again," Vee said.
Then in 2011, doctors diagnosed him with Alzheimer's disease, a degenerative and incurable brain disorder that currently afflicts more than 5 million Americans, according to the Alzheimer's Association.
"The primary way it's affected us is just pure sadness," said Vee's wife of 50 years, Karen. "Because he brings so much joy and music and fun."
Vee performed his last show that same year, billed as his retirement, during a community fundraiser that his family holds near their home in St. Joseph, about 65 miles northwest of Minneapolis. The annual event draws thousands of fans.

But he didn't announce his diagnosis until a year later on his website. Vee said he knew his abilities were diminishing and he didn't want to put his family through a public decline.
"It's not getting any better, I can tell you that," Vee said. "But I'm doing the best I can."
Family members said his memory hasn't been affected so much as his speech. Vee gamely answers questions but becomes tongue-tied as he searches for the right word.
But he is still a skilled rhythm guitarist. During his interview with AP, he broke into an impromptu jam session with his sons Jeff, 49, on drums and Tommy, 47, on upright bass.
Vee has tried unconventional methods to alleviate his Alzheimer's symptoms, from chiropractor visits to acupuncture, without success. He does daily exercises and speech therapy and has renewed his passion for painting.

And of course, there is music.
Vee and his family didn't plan to make an album when they set up drums and amps in Vee's adobe garage north of Tucson, Ariz., after his diagnosis in 2011. They just wanted to make music.
"Our mantra from that point forward has been, 'Don't turn down any parties.' We're going to make every day as good a day as it can be," Jeff Vee said.
His father described recording again as "a feel-good kind of thing."
For the 18-track album, Vee chose songs he would sing on family campouts while strumming a guitar: "Save the Last Dance for Me," Gordon Lightfoot's "Walls" and Townes Van Zandt's "If I Needed You." His three sons helped — Jeff on drums, Tommy on bass and Robby, a guitarist — and daughter Jennifer added some lyrics.

The album also includes Vee's cover of Bob Dylan's "The Man in Me," a nod to the folk-rock legend who got his start in Vee's band in Fargo.
Dylan grew up in Hibbing on northern Minnesota's Iron Range. He was going by the name Elston Gunn when he hammered on the piano at a couple of The Shadows' gigs. It also was Dylan who suggested Bobby Vee change his last name from Velline to Vee.
And he didn't forget his old bandmate. In his "Chronicles: Volume One" memoir, Dylan says Vee "had a metallic, edgy tone to his voice and it was as musical as a silver bell." When Dylan performed in St. Paul last summer, he saluted Vee in the audience and performed "Suzie Baby."
Vee said he hopes that being open about his disease helps others coping with the same fate.

Sometimes, he acknowledges, he wishes he could do the things that once came easily.
"But I'm not going to cry about it," he said. "God brought me home. And that's the deal."
___
Online:
Bobby Vee: http://www.bobbyvee.com
Rockhouse Productions: http://www.rockhousepro.com
Alzheimer's Association: http://www.alz.org
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a8cb0f4ccbd74633bca9eec64d185b95-0b5fc08b91e049698e16ec7f4a60f381-0.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	6620   Click image for larger version

Name:	a8cb0f4ccbd74633bca9eec64d185b95-0b5fc08b91e049698e16ec7f4a60f381-1.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	6621   Click image for larger version

Name:	a8cb0f4ccbd74633bca9eec64d185b95-0b5fc08b91e049698e16ec7f4a60f381-2.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	6622   Click image for larger version

Name:	a8cb0f4ccbd74633bca9eec64d185b95-0b5fc08b91e049698e16ec7f4a60f381-3.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	6623   Click image for larger version

Name:	a8cb0f4ccbd74633bca9eec64d185b95-0b5fc08b91e049698e16ec7f4a60f381-5.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	6624  

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
Jim Nasium

Default Re: Bobby Vee covers WALLS

Way back in the dim and distant past, when I bought my first record player I rushed out and bought 2 LPs, "Hats Off To Del Shannon" & "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes" I was a fan of Bobby Vee, and indeed Del Shannon. Sorry to hear that Bobby has this awful condition.
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nasium View Post
Way back in the dim and distant past, when I bought my first record player I rushed out and bought 2 LPs, "Hats Off To Del Shannon" & "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes" I was a fan of Bobby Vee, and indeed Del Shannon. Sorry to hear that Bobby has this awful condition.
You ar so right Jim it is getting to be a dim and distant past. nevertheless I still recall that having left school in 1959 and moving to the wilds of Derby to begin my apprenticeship with Rolls Royce Linited and being a staunch fan of Buddy Holly (who had so tragically died a few months earlier) that one of my first actions now that I had earned a (very) little cash was to visit the main Derby Cooperative store and there splash out a heady 35 shillings on my very first LP (which I still have complete with its original clear plastic rapper)

(up until then my record collection comprised a few 78 RPM singles (mostly Buddy and the Crickets bought cheap when a local couple near my school had bought one of the early and expensive domestic tape recorders and having taped their record collection disposed of the vinyl oiginals
although to my lasting regret I never saw Buddy live but many years later I caught a wonderful show by Del Shannon at the Gardens disco/nightclub in nearby Yeovil, not long before he died.
On YouTube there are two short clips of Del, a few days before he took his own life, singing during his very last concert which was apparently in Fargo ND (Bobby Vee's hometown and the destination of Buddy's fatal last flight)
That's enough non GL stuff for now.
The reason I am replying is because I am delighted to hear that Bobby Vee has recorded Gord's song Walls on an album being released today the anniversary of The Day The Music Died
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
The album is set for release on Feb. 3, the 55th anniversary of the plane crash that killed rock 'n' roll pioneers Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson.
Bobby Vee recorded two notable Holly related albums
Bobby Vee Meets The Crickets and
Bobby Vee sings Buddy Holly
This now makes three links that I know of between my two all time musical heroes Buddy and Gordon
1 Bobby Vee (as above)
2 Waylon Jennings
Waylon was the bass guitar player on Buddy's final tour and famously gave up his seat on the fatal flight to J.P.Richardson, who was suffering from a cold and complaining about how uncomfortable a long bus trip was for a man of his size. Holly jokingly told Jennings, "I hope your ol' bus freezes up!" Jennings replied, "Well, I hope your ol' plane crashes
Waylon had two connections to Gord
In 1967, he hit the US country top 10 with Gord's That's What You Get For Loving Me. from his 1966 album Leavin' Town.
in 1979 Waylon appeared alongside Gord and Harry Chapin at a benefit at Nassau County Coliseum in Long Island, NY.

3 Holly was signed to Decca in early 1956, recording demos and singles for the label in Nashville under the name Buddy Holly and the Three Tunes.
One of my friends who I made into a Lighthead once surprised me when she remarked that Gord's singing on Cotton Jenny included a fairly close approximation of Buddy's trademark "hiccupping" singing style
Some years ago I mentioned this to Gord. His response was that he and Terry Whelan as The Two Tones included some Holly songs in their repertoire. He then sang a few stanzas of It Doesn't Matter Anymore for me!!

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 02-03-2014 at 07:17 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
Islandgirl1

I was @ the concert @ the Nassau Coleseum with GL, Waylon Jennings and Harry Chapin. At the time I was unfamiliar with WJ, but not Harry Chapin-he's one of Long Island's own. I took my 16 year old brother - was his 1st concert. He seemed to enjoy it as did I. My only concern was all the pot smoke around us. I guess I was hoping he'd be impressed with Lightfoot.He eventually became a big Meatloaf fan & hard rock [He's now 50] I never really knew the music of Bobby Vee except for the occassional song on the radio when I was a kid. Some of my older siblings were into him. [I'm 1 of 10].

Last edited by Islandgirl1; 02-04-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Islandgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Since we have been discussing Waylon Jennings here I thought I would resurrect this old thread which displays Waylon covering a Gordsong plus the thread is about Bobby Vee's recording of Walls which I have just listened to on:-
https://bobbyvee.bandcamp.com/track/walls
it is on this album;-

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
talbot10

I was at that 1979 show at the Nassau Colosseum John. In addition to Harry, Gord and Waylon. Dave Mason performed too.