banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-08-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
lighthead2toe

Default Early Morning Rain

"Early Morning Rain" is a song that seems to be steeping it's way well into history.

The CBC radio station in Canada has many interesting programs and although it's often difficult to find time to review their schedules I just keep the dial set so it's always there when the radio is turned on.

During a recent show a comment was made about the song "Early Morning Rain" and some interesting news about that song will "coming up momentarily."

Of course a comment like that is all I would really need to drop everything I was doing, pull a "cool yule" from the fridge, put my feet up and just wait and listen.

The song was played of course by the master followed by the interesting point that "Early Morning Rain" was already a hit before it was released by Gord on his first album "Lightfoot."

Ian and Sylvia, Peter Paul and Mary had the smarts well enough to know that "Early Morning Rain" was at that time, a song that was well worth putting out there and they did just that, and it sure did serve them well and they really did the song justice.

Many others recorded it as well and it sure is great to hear the numerous different versions.

I just recently had a good listen to the version by Eva Cassidy and I have to say that apart from Gord's, I like her version next best.

She leaves out the verse about "the women all being fast" ... but it's cool.

Have a listen.

Cheers, RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: Early Morning Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
"Early Morning Rain" is a song that seems to be steeping it's way well into history.

I just recently had a good listen to the version by Eva Cassidy and I have to say that apart from Gord's, I like her version next best.

She leaves out the verse about "the women all being fast" ... but it's cool.

Have a listen.

Cheers, RJ.
Ron, this is very obviously a topic which you can really get your teeth into!!
All the more strange therefore that you have omitted to give a clue as to where one could indeedy "Have a listen"
thanks to the wonder that is Youtube this facility is easily found

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
Jesse Joe

Lovely version of this 'GEM'... what a beautifully written song by this genius ! This is the way Elena Juatco sang it on Canadian Idol with the master poet sitting in the audience.

Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
Unsettled 1

While I enjoyed both versions, I do agree that the Eva Cassidy version was excellent.
Thanks for posting these.
Unsettled 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
lighthead2toe

It's a Sagittarian trait John. We seem to have an inner instinct that if we start certain things certain ways someone will be there to help us out to make the package complete which is why we don't bother to take the time to learn how to it correctly in the first place.

And also it could be the "Newfy" coming out in me again.

There's a saying that goes like this: "you can't take da Newfy outa da bye"

But I thank you for your prompt assistance. My incomplete post went up one day and was completed the very next day.

JJ tells me that I have a You Tube account already set up so maybe I should sign up for one of your tutorials and figure out what is happening.

It might have something to do with "The Wherefore and Why."

Either way it's all about havin' fun.

Cheers, RJ.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:17 AM   #6
brink-

Eva had a fantastic voice and could sing just about any genre. She did great blues also. I saw a 20/20 or dateline segment on her and was hooked, then I found the EMR listing. Such a talent lost way too soon. I wish she would have been able to realize how popular she has become.

I like Eva's better, Elena's voice is a bit "sharp".
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:29 AM   #7
lighthead2toe

Another thing about that classic piece of work is the the way it is interpreted by the great number of artists who perform and include it on their recordings.

During the Steele's Tavern days in Toronto when Gord worked there as a single performer the local entertainers would also include Early Morning Rain in their shows and it was such an amazing treat to go there, many times not even knowing who the performer would be on a particular night but the shows were always great and many of Gord's tunes would be played by the locals.

Rick Fielding, who went on to be a radio host was one of the regulars in those days and did a really beautiful version on EMR to which Gord would give him the "thumbs up."

There was another performer who did a very sweet arrangement of that song whose surname was "Kelly" and I don't recall his first name off hand but he did some TV work in those days also and maybe did a song or two on "Singalong Jubilee."

I remember being there one evening and when he announced he was going to do EMR he made a point of saying that it was a song that he had his own interpretation of and included some minor chords which really worked well for his version and voice.

It's such a beautifully written piece of work that I can't ever seem to get enough of it and although I try and play it the way Gord wrote it, there are times when I get this urge to yield to the temptation of sneaking in those minor chords that seem to leave their haunting lurk all over the fingerboard.

Ah, to reminisce about those great moments when "the liquor tasted good and the women all were fast."

Those were the good days.

RJ.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:29 AM   #8
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post
Eva had a fantastic voice and could sing just about any genre. She did great blues also. I saw a 20/20 or dateline segment on her and was hooked, then I found the EMR listing. Such a talent lost way too soon. I wish she would have been able to realize how popular she has become.

I like Eva's better, Elena's voice is a bit "sharp".
I certainly agree with what you say brink-... but I also do think that Elena's voice will probably get better as she ages a little more.

Eva Cassidy "gone way too soon" is so true. One can only wonder how much big of a talent, she would have become.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:40 AM   #9
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Ah, to reminisce about those great moments when "the liquor tasted good and the women all were fast."

Those were the good days.

RJ.
I think you Ron, & many other folks living in the Toronto area in those days who loved folk music, were really privileged people.

I for one certainly envy all of you fine Gordon Lightfoot fans... The best people in the world... well at least; people with the best musical taste. lol !
Old 12-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
Peter Bro10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
Lovely version of this 'GEM'... what a beautifully written song by this genius ! This is the way Elena Juatco sang it on Canadian Idol with the master poet sitting in the audience.

YouTube- Elena Juatco - Early Morning Rain
That was really nice Jesse Joe! much appreciated!!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
Jesse Joe

Quote:
That was really nice Jesse Joe! much appreciated!!

Glad you enjoyed that Peter.