banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
charlene

Default HELENA MT article-June 2015

2 hours ago • MARGA LINCOLN Independent Record(0) Comments
If you go ...

What: Gordon Lightfoot -- “50 Years on the Carefree Highway Tour”

When: 8 p.m. Tuesday, June 16

Where: Helena Civic Center, 340 Neill Ave.

Cost: $45

Legendary singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot and his “50 Years on the Carefree Highway Tour” will swing into the Helena Civic Center 8 p.m. Tuesday, June 16. It’s part of a 22-show stretch.

“I’m always planning a tour,” he said in a phone interview from his home in Toronto. “I have been for 56 years. I love doing the work -- love the show. I love my songs.”

And so do his fans.

A few of the Lightfoot classics that he’s likely to sing include: “If You Could Read My Mind,” “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald,” “Sundown,” “Carefree Highway” and “Early Morning Rain.”

“We have three different ways of changing the show up,” he said. “We don’t lose the standards. That way we get to cover the entire repertoire.”

Lightfoot has recorded 20 original albums, was nominated for five Grammy Awards and been awarded 16 Juno Awards -- the Canadian equivalent of the Grammy.

He’s been called Canada’s greatest songwriter and “a national treasure” and was even featured on a Canadian postage stamp. He is in the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and the Canadian Country Music Hall of Fame and is considered one of Canada’s greatest and most prolific singer-songwriters of all time.

In 2012 he was inducted into the U.S. Songwriters Hall of Fame.

At this time the 76-year-old performer is not writing new songs, he said, but focusing instead on his singing and physical fitness. “Part of my responsibility is to be in a state of readiness for my performances.

“We love doing the show. It’s what you do best ... your show. It will be lively. ... I’ve always loved to perform. I’m getting to do what I love.”

Lightfoot first began his performance career at age 5, singing at a local church in Orillia, Ontario.

His mother recognized his talent and lined up music lessons.

“My mother, she was great,” he said. “She got me into the church choir really young. She got me into the piano lessons really young.”

By the time he was 8, he knew he wanted to sing as a career.

“Most people do get that bug by that point,” he said.

By age 10, he’d made his first record with his sister accompanying him on piano. By 13, he was already winning singing contests in Toronto. And although he was composing songs in his head, he "could not write the music down.”

“I wanted to learn how to write notation,” he said, and at age 19 convinced his parents to send him to arranging school at Westlake College of Music in Los Angeles, which he credits in helping launch his successful songwriting career.

Once out of school, he worked as a copyist in a music publishing company and was a copier for CBC’s orchestras.

“While doing that, I worked as a banker at the Royal Bank. I enjoyed being a banker,” he admitted, but he liked music more. He became a dancer and choral performer on TV.

At that time the folk revival was kicking in, and he was performing his songs at various folk clubs in Toronto, he said, and was “discovered” at age 25 or 26, getting him noticed by music industry folks in New York City.

“I used to do a lot of covers,” he said of his early years. “I had to have an act. I had to have a set. I was learning other people’s tunes and I was good at it. And I kept adding in my own material -- to the point my own material was winning out over the others'.”

By age 30 or 32, “I was doing all my own songs,” except for an occasional Bob Dylan or Kris Kristofferson song.

While his voice is his “flagship,” he knew he always had to keep writing songs.

“Songs must have momentum that build your interest as you listen to them,” he said of what makes a song work.

One of his finest is the “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald,” a ballad about a ship that sank during a gale on Lake Superior Nov. 10, 1975.

“I’m really happy I wrote that song,” Lightfoot said. Many people have come to him, including families of those killed, and told him about the comfort it gave them. He wrote it to the tune of an Irish dirge he heard when he was 3. It went on to win a Juno Award for Songwriter of the Year.

Lightfoot’s been beloved by not only his fans, but his peers. Many of them recorded his songs, including Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Richie Havens, Hank Williams Jr. and Johnny Cash.

"Lightfoot became a mentor for a long time,” according to a published quote by Dylan. “I think he probably still is to this day. I can't think of any Gordon Lightfoot song I don't like. Every time I hear a song of his, I wish it would last forever."

Kris Kristofferson was quoted as saying, "Gordon Lightfoot has created some of the most beautiful and lasting music of our time. He is Bob Dylan's favorite singer/songwriter -- high praise from the best of us, applauded by the rest of us."

In the past decade, Lightfoot has had to overcome several setbacks from health issues.

In 2002, during a concert, he suffered severe abdominal pain and had to be flown to a medical facility for emergency surgery of a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm.

In 2006, during a performance, he suffered a minor stroke that initially paralyzed two fingers in his right hand.

“The first night, I practiced all night long,” he said, and has since regained full use of his hand and plays all his guitar parts.

Accompanying him on tour is his longtime four-member band.

Some reviewers find his health and age have weakened his voice, while others, particularly fans who have followed his music, claim his show is not to be missed.

“It will be lively. It will be well-paced. You’ll know we’re going full energy. It has a lot of power. We try to radiate enthusiasm to the audience. I’m going to be larger than life up there,” he said.

Over his five-decade-plus career, he’s played every major city in Montana, he said -- from Butte to Missoula to Helena and more. “I’m really looking forward to being there. I love doing the shows.”

Reporter Marga Lincoln can be reached at 447-4083 marga.lincoln@helenair.com
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
charlene

Default HELENA MT. - June 16-2015

RICK:..Up she all goes again.... in Helena, Montana, at the Civic Center. Nov 2010 here was Terry's last gig with us.
pics to come..
Old 06-16-2015, 10:50 PM   #3
charlene

Default Re: HELENA MT. - June 16-2015

http://helenair.com/helena/still-lov...true&cid=print

Still loving the shows: Gordon Lightfoot and his ‘Carefree Highway Tour’ to swing into Helena

6 HOURS AGO • MARGA LINCOLN INDEPENDENT RECORD
Legendary singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot and his “50 Years on the Carefree Highway Tour” will swing into the Helena Civic Center 8 p.m. Tuesday, June 16. It’s part of a 22-show stretch.
“I’m always planning a tour,” he said in a phone interview from his home in Toronto. “I have been for 56 years. I love doing the work -- love the show. I love my songs.”
And so do his fans.
A few of the Lightfoot classics that he’s likely to sing include: “If You Could Read My Mind,” “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald,” “Sundown,” “Carefree Highway” and “Early Morning Rain.”
“We have three different ways of changing the show up,” he said. “We don’t lose the standards. That way we get to cover the entire repertoire.”
Lightfoot has recorded 20 original albums, was nominated for five Grammy Awards and been awarded 16 Juno Awards -- the Canadian equivalent of the Grammy.
He’s been called Canada’s greatest songwriter and “a national treasure” and was even featured on a Canadian postage stamp. He is in the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and the Canadian Country Music Hall of Fame and is considered one of Canada’s greatest and most prolific singer-songwriters of all time.
In 2012 he was inducted into the U.S. Songwriters Hall of Fame.
At this time the 76-year-old performer is not writing new songs, he said, but focusing instead on his singing and physical fitness. “Part of my responsibility is to be in a state of readiness for my performances.
“We love doing the show. It’s what you do best ... your show. It will be lively. ... I’ve always loved to perform. I’m getting to do what I love.”
Lightfoot first began his performance career at age 5, singing at a local church in Orillia, Ontario.
His mother recognized his talent and lined up music lessons.
“My mother, she was great,” he said. “She got me into the church choir really young. She got me into the piano lessons really young.”
By the time he was 8, he knew he wanted to sing as a career.
“Most people do get that bug by that point,” he said.
By age 10, he’d made his first record with his sister accompanying him on piano. By 13, he was already winning singing contests in Toronto. And although he was composing songs in his head, he "could not write the music down.”
“I wanted to learn how to write notation,” he said, and at age 19 convinced his parents to send him to arranging school at Westlake College of Music in Los Angeles, which he credits in helping launch his successful songwriting career.
Once out of school, he worked as a copyist in a music publishing company and was a copier for CBC’s orchestras.
“While doing that, I worked as a banker at the Royal Bank. I enjoyed being a banker,” he admitted, but he liked music more. He became a dancer and choral performer on TV.
At that time the folk revival was kicking in, and he was performing his songs at various folk clubs in Toronto, he said, and was “discovered” at age 25 or 26, getting him noticed by music industry folks in New York City.
“I used to do a lot of covers,” he said of his early years. “I had to have an act. I had to have a set. I was learning other people’s tunes and I was good at it. And I kept adding in my own material -- to the point my own material was winning out over the others'.”
By age 30 or 32, “I was doing all my own songs,” except for an occasional Bob Dylan or Kris Kristofferson song.
While his voice is his “flagship,” he knew he always had to keep writing songs.
“Songs must have momentum that build your interest as you listen to them,” he said of what makes a song work.
One of his finest is the “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald,” a ballad about a ship that sank during a gale on Lake Superior Nov. 10, 1975.
“I’m really happy I wrote that song,” Lightfoot said. Many people have come to him, including families of those killed, and told him about the comfort it gave them. He wrote it to the tune of an Irish dirge he heard when he was 3. It went on to win a Juno Award for Songwriter of the Year.
Lightfoot’s been beloved by not only his fans, but his peers. Many of them recorded his songs, including Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Richie Havens, Hank Williams Jr. and Johnny Cash.
"Lightfoot became a mentor for a long time,” according to a published quote by Dylan. “I think he probably still is to this day. I can't think of any Gordon Lightfoot song I don't like. Every time I hear a song of his, I wish it would last forever."
Kris Kristofferson was quoted as saying, "Gordon Lightfoot has created some of the most beautiful and lasting music of our time. He is Bob Dylan's favorite singer/songwriter -- high praise from the best of us, applauded by the rest of us."
In the past decade, Lightfoot has had to overcome several setbacks from health issues.
In 2002, during a concert, he suffered severe abdominal pain and had to be flown to a medical facility for emergency surgery of a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm.
In 2006, during a performance, he suffered a minor stroke that initially paralyzed two fingers in his right hand.
“The first night, I practiced all night long,” he said, and has since regained full use of his hand and plays all his guitar parts.
Accompanying him on tour is his longtime four-member band.
Some reviewers find his health and age have weakened his voice, while others, particularly fans who have followed his music, claim his show is not to be missed.
“It will be lively. It will be well-paced. You’ll know we’re going full energy. It has a lot of power. We try to radiate enthusiasm to the audience. I’m going to be larger than life up there,” he said.
Over his five-decade-plus career, he’s played every major city in Montana, he said -- from Butte to Missoula to Helena and more. “I’m really looking forward to being there. I love doing the shows.”
If you go ...
What: Gordon Lightfoot -- “50 Years on the Carefree Highway Tour”
When: 8 p.m. Tuesday, June 16
Where: Helena Civic Center, 340 Neill Ave.
Cost: $45
Old 06-16-2015, 10:50 PM   #4
charlene

RICK: Here we go again"
pic to come...
Old 06-17-2015, 09:00 AM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
RICK: Here we go again"
pic to come...
possibly this one (from Rick's Facebook timeline)??
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1281228&type=1

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
possibly this one (from Rick's Facebook timeline)??
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1281228&type=1
Well ok I'll try the insert image trick

Bingo!!!

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm

Old 06-17-2015, 05:20 PM   #7
charlene

if I knew how to do that I would..
Old 06-17-2015, 07:51 PM   #8
johnfowles

Quote:
if I knew how to do that I would..
That Madam has to be the lamest excuse that I have seen for a very long time
Getting an image's address in order to use it somewhere else is such a basic computer technique.In fact I have somewhere started a tutorial folder entitled
"Basic Computer Techniques" I must dust it off"

Meanwhile if you look at the Timeline on my Facebook page you will see a mini tutorial with brief details of finding an images address forb the three most popular PC/Windows browsers
I have found Rick's photo of the Mount Shasta volcanic crater so I'll add it to the other thread tomorrow

I meant no one no harm

Old 06-18-2015, 12:49 AM   #9
Sydney Steve

The "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald " was obviously a major tragedy but there is one thing that does not improve it.
Having to apologise to the not very humble Baronet.
Some time ago he referred on this forum to the "dirge" (he was writing of the TWOTEF) . I took some level of umbrage in a reply as the term in most common useage. in Aus. is (pretty much purely) derogatory and would imply that it was a funeralesque sounding tune .
The quote from above : " He wrote it to the tune of an Irish dirge he heard when he was 3 ". I was not aware that this was a descriptor that was not necessarily derogatory.

Apologies John. It seems in hindsight you had done your research rather than were passing a personal judgement on the merits of the sound of the song.
I would be interested (if it existed anywhere on the net ) to hear the basis of " the dirge” in it's old pure form circa 1945 ish . Now there’s a challenge.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #10
charlene

and I still don't know...and am not searching around the internet when this forum would be a good place to just succinctly reply with the way to go about posting an actual photo again as we used to be able. I have no recollection of what that entails nor do I know where to get the address for pictures posted at FB. and until I find that info here I won't be posting any pictures because I get a message the forum is over quota..I have asked Florian to fix things and allow us to post pictures again, not thumbnails..
Old 06-18-2015, 10:16 AM   #11
johnfowles

Quote:
and I still don't know...and am not searching around the internet when this forum would be a good place to just succinctly reply with the way to go about posting an actual photo again as we used to be able. I have no recollection of what that entails nor do I know where to get the address for pictures posted at FB. and until I find that info here I won't be posting any pictures because I get a message the forum is over quota..I have asked Florian to fix things and allow us to post pictures again, not thumbnails..
A very nice confession and appeal for sanity Madam
I'll be back with a "succinct" guide as it is still eminently possible to as you so succinctly said "go about posting an actual photo again as we used to be able."

I meant no one no harm

Last edited by johnfowles; 06-18-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:27 AM   #12
johnfowles

Quote:
The "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald " was obviously a major tragedy but there is one thing that does not improve it.
Having to apologise to the not very humble Baronet.
Some time ago he referred on this forum to the "dirge" (he was writing of the TWOTEF) . I took some level of umbrage in a reply as the term in most common useage. in Aus. is (pretty much purely) derogatory and would imply that it was a funeralesque sounding tune .
The quote from above : " He wrote it to the tune of an Irish dirge he heard when he was 3 ". I was not aware that this was a descriptor that was not necessarily derogatory
So sorry Hooligan I really do not know what your irrelevant dribble means or if you posted it into
the wrong thread ??
Just maybe you were confusing Ireland and Oregon??
I can only suggest you book an urgent appointment at:-
http://www.sydneyneuropsychology.com...gory/dementia/

I meant no one no harm

Old 06-22-2015, 01:01 AM   #13
Sydney Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
.... I'll be back with a "succinct" guide .... "
Lost In Space Robot exclaims : "Succinct" ? " A succinct Fowlesian lecture /(called) guide ? Warning ! This does not compute Will Robinson ! "