banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
RM

Default Rolling Stone reviews : Waiting For You

Whatever........

Waiting For You
---------------

Well, actually, we've been waiting for him. Gordon Lightfoot's new album is his first since East of Midnight (1986) – and while, scientifically speaking that's long enough for all the cells in the human body to regenerate, it's comforting to know that the passage of time has done little to diminish either the artistic spirit or the patriotic fervor of the bard of the Great White North. Scoff if you will, but I'd wager a good $2 bill they'll be crying in their toques when the title track comes over the airwaves in Saskatchewan and a few good lumberjacks hear these words: "Up in the wilderness, land of our birth/Land of our toil, land of our worth/I can stay healthy and wealthy and wise." And I'm equally certain they'll be laughing in their Labatt's when they come across "Wild Strawberries," in which the Gordster confesses, "People often ask me just the way it must feel/To be standing up here with you down there/Let it now be known that throughout all these years/I have been wearing – polka-dot underwear."

Seriously, though, we should all be grateful that Lightfoot still cares enough to try and educate us ugly USAers about what it means to be a true North American. In "Restless," for example, he makes reference not just to geese and trout but to muskies (which, according to my dictionary, is short for muskellunges – large pikes that may weigh 60 to 80 pounds and are valuable sport fish). Would we expect anything less from a singer-songwriter-naturalist whose publishing company is called Moose Music? I think not. To quote Bob McKenzie: "Beauty, eh?" (RS 664)

BILLY ALTMAN
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:28 AM   #2
geodeticman.5

Default Re: Rolling Stone reviews : Waiting For You

Well I'm able to breath normally through this one LOL . I sure like the DQ and the Sundown reviews, but I popped my cork on the Endless Wire. This one had a few euphemisms for his parochial vision of Canada, as if the most likely listener was a hearty denizen of the Wilderness, outfitted in a Filson's Double Mackinaw, Woolrich Buffaloe Plaid shirt/jac, Wool Malone's Bibs under waxed Tin Cloth Pants and Cap, and trades Beaver Pelts at the local Hudson's Bay outfitters for Beans, Flour, Salt, Coffee, Sugar, and some Molasses for that mid-winter sweet-tooth,a few hard-cut nails, a pound of 'baccy, some spar varnish for his ash Alaskan's, and a good 8-point Hudson Bay Blanket, plus some blanket pins for sure, of and a few 10-rod hanks of Plymouth cordage three-twist sisal rope... oh and two AA Lithium batteries that'll work at -60 F.LOL

Never mind the urbane downtown or suburban Torontoan (sp?) in a Brook's Bros Suit, and a Halliburton briefcase fishing in his vest pocket for his IPhone or Blackberry, whichever has the GL ringtone....

But I sense Mr. Altman meant no real insult at all in his references.... perhaps a bit of ignorance.... I'm surprised he dwelled on the dictionary for Muskies (I grew up in Downtown Cleveland before moving to Colorado...and even I knew what Muskies were..)
instead of commenting musically on Restless as the mesmerizing, pictureque song that haunts me after listening to it every time, and reminds me of why I love Gord's music...

As RM said aptly - "whatever" - true. the write seemed ambivolent, and more interested in things Canadian and stereotypical than anything about the music at all besides envisioning locals' responses to the songs...and yet (correct me if I am wrong Canadians out there, I can picture umbrage at a few references....) he did not seem critical..... maybe just a bit on the sardonic side...trying to pull off laconic humour....did he like the music ? I can't tell.

Well, so, at least it seems he appreciates it is as the genuine article, of what I am not sure, other than Gord as a loyal card-carrying Canadian, as opposed to in a broader, historically more important context imho as one of the great composers and performers of our time; tantamount metaphorically to an Arthurian Troubadour, who, like a Knight Templar, instead of guarding The Chalice, carries the torch in the great tradition of the classically-trained songwriter-performer with a timeless magnificence in his quest for perfection as a Minstrel .

I think The MacKenzie quote at the end suggests a positive overall note to me..
~geo steve
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote