banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-29-2006, 10:16 AM   #1
Lori

Lightfoot In San Diego*8/27/06

With perfect (yes I said perfect) weather, the band stepped on to the stage at Humphreys an outdoor venue on the bay in San Diego quickly followed by Gordon Lightfoot just a few minutes past 7:30 pm.

Gordon stepped up to the mic and just stood there for a few moments, surveying the crowd. He didn’t say a thing. There were a few scattered comments but the crowd was pretty subdued.

I don’t know if it was because it was the end of this concert swing, he called it the I-5 tour, but Gord looked kind of tired to me. His hair looked like it had been trimmed and he was dressed in black pants, a blue long sleeved shirt and the vest he wore last year. I couldn’t see what shoes he was wearing.

When he started playing there was no urgency, the pace, as has been mentioned in other reports was relaxed and slower.

Rick and Terry were singing in the background on the songs they used to sing harmony on. Barry did some different percussions on 14 Karat Gold. There was no whistling on Ghost Of Cape Horn.

Just before he sang Hangdog Hotel Room he said he wrote it after spending some time with Jerry Jeff Walker and told how Jerry Jeff could party all night. He later mentioned, including Terry in the tale, that they had done their share of partying in the 70’s and related a story of how they had gone out on a shrimp boat here in San Diego at 2 in the morning

Set 1
Triangle
Cotton Jenny
14 Karat Gold
Never Too Close
In My Fashion
Painter Passing Through
Clouds of Loneliness
Ghosts of Cape Horn
Rainy Day People
Carefree Highway
Hangdog Hotel Room
Sundown
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Alberta Bound
*** Set 2
Sit Down Young Stranger
Waiting for You
Beautiful
Shadows
Make Way For the Lady
Let It Ride
If You Could Read My Mind
Don Quixote
Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Baby Step Back
Song For a Winter’s Night
Old Dans Records
*** Encore
Early Morning Rain

There were quite a few people around me singing along or in harmony. What I wanted to say to all of them was, “I didn’t pay $50 to listen to any of you sing, so shut-up”.

What I did was keep my mouth shut and thought about how much these songs mean to people. I also remembered that my loving wife finally told me many years ago that I could sing all I wanted to in the privacy of my car but that it was surely annoying people around us at the concert and they hadn’t paid to listen to me. (He has has an ear, let him hear)

One last thought.....
As he was singing CRT, my all time fav, I thought about how blessed we’ve been to be able to share the music and the words he’s written. I think my life would not be as rich or fulfilled without his songs in my life. They’ve helped me appreciate so many things I might otherwise have overlooked in nature and in mankind.

Till next time.....
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug

Lightfoot In San Diego*8/27/06

With perfect (yes I said perfect) weather, the band stepped on to the stage at Humphreys an outdoor venue on the bay in San Diego quickly followed by Gordon Lightfoot just a few minutes past 7:30 pm.

Gordon stepped up to the mic and just stood there for a few moments, surveying the crowd. He didn’t say a thing. There were a few scattered comments but the crowd was pretty subdued.

I don’t know if it was because it was the end of this concert swing, he called it the I-5 tour, but Gord looked kind of tired to me. His hair looked like it had been trimmed and he was dressed in black pants, a blue long sleeved shirt and the vest he wore last year. I couldn’t see what shoes he was wearing.

When he started playing there was no urgency, the pace, as has been mentioned in other reports was relaxed and slower.

Rick and Terry were singing in the background on the songs they used to sing harmony on. Barry did some different percussions on 14 Karat Gold. There was no whistling on Ghost Of Cape Horn.

Just before he sang Hangdog Hotel Room he said he wrote it after spending some time with Jerry Jeff Walker and told how Jerry Jeff could party all night. He later mentioned, including Terry in the tale, that they had done their share of partying in the 70’s and related a story of how they had gone out on a shrimp boat here in San Diego at 2 in the morning

Set 1
Triangle
Cotton Jenny
14 Karat Gold
Never Too Close
In My Fashion
Painter Passing Through
Clouds of Loneliness
Ghosts of Cape Horn
Rainy Day People
Carefree Highway
Hangdog Hotel Room
Sundown
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Alberta Bound
*** Set 2
Sit Down Young Stranger
Waiting for You
Beautiful
Shadows
Make Way For the Lady
Let It Ride
If You Could Read My Mind
Don Quixote
Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Baby Step Back
Song For a Winter’s Night
Old Dans Records
*** Encore
Early Morning Rain

There were quite a few people around me singing along or in harmony. What I wanted to say to all of them was, “I didn’t pay $50 to listen to any of you sing, so shut-up”.

What I did was keep my mouth shut and thought about how much these songs mean to people. I also remembered that my loving wife finally told me many years ago that I could sing all I wanted to in the privacy of my car but that it was surely annoying people around us at the concert and they hadn’t paid to listen to me. (He has has an ear, let him hear)

One last thought.....
As he was singing CRT, my all time fav, I thought about how blessed we’ve been to be able to share the music and the words he’s written. I think my life would not be as rich or fulfilled without his songs in my life. They’ve helped me appreciate so many things I might otherwise have overlooked in nature and in mankind.

Till next time.....
Old 08-29-2006, 11:22 AM   #3
charlene

Thanks Doug - and thank you for the sentiment that many of us share 'We didn't pay to hear an audience member singing!"....for me truer words were never spoken!

Glad that you and Charlotte enjoyed the evening.

Yes life would be a little less precious without Lightfoot in it all these years....
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
charlene

Thanks Doug - and thank you for the sentiment that many of us share 'We didn't pay to hear an audience member singing!"....for me truer words were never spoken!

Yes life would be a little less precious without Lightfoot in it all these years....
Old 08-29-2006, 01:05 PM   #5
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:
After our last excursion to Toronto, Charlotte committed the treasonable offense of telling me she'd seen enough Lightfoot to last her for quite a while.

My date for the last few concerts has been my loving 24 year old daughter Amanda. And I at least had a great time.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
Suzi

I was also in attendance. Bravo to Doug's review.

On the personal side, I would like to thank Doug for taking me backstage after the concert. That was special.
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:14 PM   #7
loaptubmult

Very nice review, Doug.

I cannot wait for Madison.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:14 PM   #8
mstove

Very nice review, Doug.

I cannot wait for Madison.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #9
charlene

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Doug:
After our last excursion to Toronto, Charlotte committed the treasonable offense of telling me she'd seen enough Lightfoot to last her for quite a while.
QUOTE]

quick - get her some professional help Doug!
lol

I can't relate...I can't relate!

Well I'm glad Amanda kept you company..altho she was here in 2001 as well...did she have a great time?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
charlene

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Doug:
QUOTE]

quick - get her some professional help Doug!
lol

I can't relate...I can't relate!

Well I'm glad Amanda kept you company..altho she was here in 2001 as well...did she have a great time?
Old 08-29-2006, 04:51 PM   #11
Boomer

Doug! Thanks for posting the set list. Perhaps you remember hearing someone (at intermission) yelling "Doug, Doug, Plumb guru! I was trying to get your attention and you looked over but soon disappeared into the crowd. Anyhow, I just wanted to say "hey".

This was one of my favorite Gord concerts. Mostly because I brought my oldest daughter for the first time. She LOVED it! She knew almost every song due to my many years of Gord-brainwashing when she was just a sprout. Her first comment to me while Gord was in the middle of his first song was, "Wow, Gord really rocks"!

Doug mentioned that the crowd was subdued...uh, how about dead! Not the "wall" people. Us wall folks made it clear that Gord is the man! That's why I hang at the wall, lots of enthusiasm and excitement. So, yeah, the "seat" people were pretty disappointing.

Oh...I did get to snap a great picture of Gord with my Daughter. That was somewhere around 6pm. I just happened to spot him kind of below his room (which is behind the stage). He was listening to this guy who just went on and on and on...This guy was one of those B.M.O.C. types. His wife and daughters were there "listening" while this guy just rambled on and on. You could tell Gord was a bit uncomfortable. Next thing you know, this guy breaks out a wardrobe of shirts that "he" thinks Gord should wear to tonights concert. He gives Gord the shirts and I guess that was the end of that. Gord didn't wear any of the shirts that night.

Back to the important stuff. Gord sounded really great Sunday night. Before going into CRT he said that he hoped he could hit all of the notes (or something like that), he absolutely nailed it! He wasn't very chatty, just went from song to song.

He praised his band as usual but added that each one is far more capable in their musical talent then what he asks them to do. I believe when introducing Rick as the "strawboss", he said "and over my right shoulder is the Strawboss, Rick Haines, my guardian angel" or something to that effect.

That's it!

TC
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:51 PM   #12
TC

Doug! Thanks for posting the set list. Perhaps you remember hearing someone (at intermission) yelling "Doug, Doug, Plumb guru! I was trying to get your attention and you looked over but soon disappeared into the crowd. Anyhow, I just wanted to say "hey".

This was one of my favorite Gord concerts. Mostly because I brought my oldest daughter for the first time. She LOVED it! She knew almost every song due to my many years of Gord-brainwashing when she was just a sprout. Her first comment to me while Gord was in the middle of his first song was, "Wow, Gord really rocks"!

Doug mentioned that the crowd was subdued...uh, how about dead! Not the "wall" people. Us wall folks made it clear that Gord is the man! That's why I hang at the wall, lots of enthusiasm and excitement. So, yeah, the "seat" people were pretty disappointing.

Oh...I did get to snap a great picture of Gord with my Daughter. That was somewhere around 6pm. I just happened to spot him kind of below his room (which is behind the stage). He was listening to this guy who just went on and on and on...This guy was one of those B.M.O.C. types. His wife and daughters were there "listening" while this guy just rambled on and on. You could tell Gord was a bit uncomfortable. Next thing you know, this guy breaks out a wardrobe of shirts that "he" thinks Gord should wear to tonights concert. He gives Gord the shirts and I guess that was the end of that. Gord didn't wear any of the shirts that night.

Back to the important stuff. Gord sounded really great Sunday night. Before going into CRT he said that he hoped he could hit all of the notes (or something like that), he absolutely nailed it! He wasn't very chatty, just went from song to song.

He praised his band as usual but added that each one is far more capable in their musical talent then what he asks them to do. I believe when introducing Rick as the "strawboss", he said "and over my right shoulder is the Strawboss, Rick Haines, my guardian angel" or something to that effect.

That's it!

TC
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:39 PM   #13
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

Lovely review Doug. Sorry I missed you, your lovely wife and all the other Southern Californians this year.
Kimberly
Old 08-29-2006, 08:45 PM   #14
2Much2Lose

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
quote:Originally posted by charlene:

[/QUOTE]Ah Charlotte, the most patient person in the world! I think it may have been the singing from the back seat back in 1998 that did her in Doug!
Sounds like a great time.
Jenney
Old 08-29-2006, 08:45 PM   #15
Jenney

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
quote:Originally posted by charlene:

[/QUOTE]Ah Charlotte, the most patient person in the world! I think it may have been the singing from the back seat back in 1998 that did her in Doug!
Sounds like a great time.
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:15 PM   #16
Borderstone

Thanks for the descropition Doug.

God knows I would have loved nothing more than to travel the 300 miles to see his show.... but as in life,my work and responsibilities come first.

Well,at least I have Montreux to fill in the void.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:19 AM   #17
formerlylavender

Great review, Doug. Thanks for mentioning Gord's comment about Hangdog Hotel Room - makes me appreciate the song more.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:38 AM   #18
Janie

Thanks, Doug...very enjoyable to read your comments since I'd juste been to the Marysville concert. The setlists were very similar with the exception of "Song for a Winter's Night" (excluded) and "Bitter Green" included. What you described in the concert was similar as well...the raucous element coming from the "general seating" crowd! I didn't mind the singing around me, but I drew the line at the cell phone conversation!
I haven't seen Humphrey's but it must be a great setting!
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:38 AM   #19
hkusam

Thanks, Doug...very enjoyable to read your comments since I'd juste been to the Marysville concert. The setlists were very similar with the exception of "Song for a Winter's Night" (excluded) and "Bitter Green" included. What you described in the concert was similar as well...the raucous element coming from the "general seating" crowd! I didn't mind the singing around me, but I drew the line at the cell phone conversation!
I haven't seen Humphrey's but it must be a great setting!
hkusam is offline   Reply With Quote